The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him
Default The RPG that's gross to say: YIIK!

So this game comes out tomorrow. I guess it's been an in-development thing for a couple years. I only heard about it a few weeks ago, and I like to think I've got my finger on the indie pulse fairly well, but maybe not!

Anyway, this game is about being in 1999, and also about being a smart twenty-something adrift in life and also on the internet. At first, I was worried it was going to be about laughing at hipsters, but it sounds like its really aiming for something of a more specific time and feeling. Nintendolife just posted a glowing review:

Quote:
Itís a lot to take in, and only the beginning of a breathtaking spiral of strangeness. This is a game where Weird Stuff Happens, and much of its appeal is going to hinge on whether you have an appetite for a continual serving of more Weird Stuff at every turn. YIIK is absolutely gunning for the Weird Stuff throne, full tilt, and truly swings for the fences in that regard. You want surreal visuals and utterly unconventional quest chapters? Search no more, for you have found your huckleberry.
They even go so far as to call it the next Undertale or Earthbound. Seems like it could be a thing. More maybe it's References: The Game: Legacy. We'll find out tomorrow!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:01 PM
so exciting!

Destructoid and RPGsite were less thrilled about it, unfortunately. A lot of criticisms revolve around how slow the combat can be (though I hear you can fast forward with the r1 button), and a few places have noted the in-game message board stuff has a lot of Not Great Even If Period Appropriate Writing.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:04 PM
so exciting!

if nothing else both toby fox and Hiroki Kikuta worked on the soundtrack
Old 01-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Funko Superfan

Destructoid said Nier was bad because you had to catch a fish just sayin
Old 01-16-2019, 01:11 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Destructoid said Nier was bad because you had to catch a fish just sayin
i mean they're right but it was also bad for a number of the reasons hashtag hot take

regardless i'm waiting for the Loki Review/LokImpressions before I jump in
Old 01-16-2019, 01:18 PM
Funko Superfan

Yeah those other two reviews give me some pause. Specifically the claims of bad writing. I'm still planning to dive in tomorrow. We'll see. One thing that's interesting about that Destructoid review is how much time it spends on how the main character is unlikable, but from this vantage that seems to be the point? We'll see we'll see
Old 01-16-2019, 01:44 PM

Ouch, that Destructoid review makes it sound like it's trying to be Earthbound: The Self Aware Edition.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Pronouns: ♂

From the Destructoid review, emphasis mine:

Quote:
The biggest offender is most definitely the save screen, which feels much more archaic and sluggish than it actually is. You have to sit through a few animations every single time you save. If you're anything like me when I play RPGs, that's pretty goddamn often. Specifically, there's a pointless little message at the end that says something along the lines of "call again sometime..." that adds nothing of value and only further keeps players away from, ya know, playing the game. It's such a small thing, but it irritated the hell out of me.
Wonder what this fucker would think of Earthbound.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:45 PM
Funko Superfan

Hardcore Gaming 101 of all places just posted a review.

Quote:
A lot of time is spent with Alex monologing to himself, showing just how terrible a person he is and his awareness of it, trying to figure out why heís become like this and trying to be a better person for the sake of all these amazing people heís met. Itís painfully familiar, and the game goes to some very real places you wouldnít expect, including Alexís sheltered, very white life leading him to making accidental microaggressions early on. One of his biggest conflicts is trying to figure out how to be an adult and find a job, wanting to be someone he can actually like as another part of him keeps making him say and do self-destructive things. Itís all incredibly well handled, writing a truly mature story that also isnít afraid to include a scene where a grown black man goes on a very long fan charged tangent about his favorite magical girl show.
Sounds like this game is going to be very divisive.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:06 PM

I think "if david lynch made a video game" is a far more offputting cliche than "the citizen kane of gaming" ever was, because 99% of the time it's a gross misunderstanding of what lynch does that makes him important, and the other 1% it's just because it steals specific narrative tricks and plot points like deadly prem.

This might be ok, but everything about the coverage is pushing me way off. Discussing "weird stuff" only as "weird stuff" and non-sequitur is just devestating, one of the developers talking about how they want to "fix what's wrong with jrpgs", the fact that it seems to do a lot of the "knowing media is a personality" sort of depictions, not to mention the self-given subtitle of "a post-modern rpg", etc etc

This has a long way to go to sell me
Old 01-16-2019, 03:08 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I'm gonna play it

Edit: probably
Old 01-16-2019, 09:17 PM
so exciting!

devs on twitter say there's a day 1 patch to speed combat up and increase the party's strength to make things less of a slog
Old 01-17-2019, 07:48 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I will be watching this thread with interest. This seems like a game where word of mouth is king.

Doesn't seem like any of us want to be the guinea pig, yet.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:56 AM
Sega CD version is better

So far it sounds very much that your enjoyment of the game will hinge a lot on how much you can tolerate the protagonist being an insufferable 20 something.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 AM
Fifth Business

...ooooohhhhhh, the name is like "Y2K", I get it now.

Anyway! This is 100% the sort of game I'd take a chance on, but I'm still financially recuperating from the holidays and I got higher priority video game releases this month, so I'm unlikely to take a leap on this one despite being veeeery curious. Could really see this one going either way.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

I kind of want to play it, but have no money.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:19 AM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Quote:
Justin McElroy said Nier was bad because you had to catch a fish just sayin
Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 AM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Also, I have to wonder if the overly-long save sequence is there to discourage savescumming, like how Pokťmon Centers have a deliberately long dialogue sequence to discourage returning to them to heal too often.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Funko Superfan

!

!!!

Is that true?!?!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Funko Superfan

I played to get a taste on my lunch break. Not really enough to form any actual opinions, but the writing seems okay so far. There's some jokes. The opening of the game hits both FF and Earthbound notes in a way where the references are both clear but unobtrusive which is pretty nice.

If nothing else I can say that Destructoid reviewer seems dissatisfied with in the game in a way he can't articulate and so instead to focus on extremely minor issues. He says the item menu is a huge mess because it dumps everything into one list. That seems like a specific design choice to invoke 16-bit era menus, and you can auto sort to either put HP healing or PP healing items at the top for quick access. And he says the biggest offender is the save screen. But it literally is just a save menu with a confirmation message. It takes no longer than dozens of other save-systems. It's not even deliberately slow in the way that Tegan suggests. It's just

a normal

save menu.

Or that RPGSite review which complains the Stats aren't explained. The stats are literally Attack, Defense, Speed, and Luck. There's lots of highly regarded games where Luck is a catch-all stat of nebulous utility. I don't get where these reviews are coming from.

I'll post more once I've experienced some meat, but I suspect there's something more going on here to explain the dissatisfaction some reviewers felt.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:53 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Contrarian hot taeks are all the rage lately, because they bring in all the views.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Boom

Unexplained stats annoy me, but they're also pretty par for the course for the style of RPG. I have only a vague idea of what all the stats in Earthbound do.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:18 AM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

So the scuttlebutt is that this is an RPG about being That Guy, and maybe not even in a challenging way.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:35 AM

Pretty sure this is all I need to know about this game.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:59 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post

wow

yeah, my interest is zero % now
Old 01-18-2019, 05:58 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

This is probably the whitest and the man-est video game ever made.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:07 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
I thought it was going to be a link to this.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:
Thereís two things going on here: the first is that the following lines of dialogue are the girl giving him guff for saying that, and the guy apologizing for making a bad joke. The second is the dude says lots of inappropriate stuff (not South Park/Family Guy inappropriate jokes, but like heís just self centered and makes assumptions about other people and so has a tough time navigating the conversation). I havenít gotten nearly far enough to see how deftly the game handles this theme of oblivious guy growing into a better person, but itís okay for a story to start with a character who says dumb things and makes mistakes.

Iím not trying to defend a game Iíve only putt a couple hours into. But what Iíve played so far this is the only line like it, and in its immediate context the line is a foot-in-mouth blunder. Itís pretty annoying to see it taken out of that context and used to imply the game itself is some kind of edgelord tone-deaf SouthParkothon.

And who knows maybe it is. I reserve the right to withhold judgement until Iíve, you know, played the game.

The far biggest issue Iíve encountered so far, and one Iím really surprised none of these reviews have mentioned, is that load times are pretty chunky. At least on the Switch. You go a 20-30 load into every battle and thatís really rough. I hope this patch address that a bit because itís kinda crazy.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Sega CD version is better

Quote:
The far biggest issue Iíve encountered so far, and one Iím really surprised none of these reviews have mentioned, is that load times are pretty chunky. At least on the Switch. You go a 20-30 load into every battle and thatís really rough. I hope this patch address that a bit because itís kinda crazy.
Okay, thatís my dealbreaker. I could tolerate a shitty protagonist if heís called out on it, but not those kind of load times. I preordered Travis Strike Again, so I already got my divisive, gonzo Switch title for this week.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

At my last PAX outing, I met up with... I wanna say Caliscrub in front of the Y2K booth because finding people at PAX is always easier when you both have a landmark to look for.

Somehow this lead to me talking to someone, and I said something about how "Hasn't this game been coming soon for like 5 Years now?"

He was one of the devs.

So now I HAVE to buy this game as a form of repentance.

Tags
incel inside , white 2k , y2k , yiikes , yiikes a cringe rpg , yiikety sax , ynot2k