The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-06-2018, 09:52 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
All that makes me wonder who has the rights to Big Eyes, Small Mouth now. Sounds like it would be Paradox? Presumably they aren't worth much at this point, since it would have to compete against the lower cost, lower complexity OVA, but I've got three editions of BESM so I'm morbidly curious.
CCP also sold off a bunch of White Wolf properties or let their rights to them expire when Onyx Path was starting up; I'm not sure where exactly BESM wound up, but it seems like one of the ones that might have been sold separately. I know Scarred Lands, Aeon, and Scion were.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:56 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

White Wolf may not have ever even "owned" BESM in any kind of long-term sense. IIRC they just did a one-shot deal to print the third edition after whatsisfuck went bust and vanished.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:27 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Art Haus? That's the imprint my copy is from. No wonder I've never seen anything else from them.

Man, it was weird when I went to AX and found a group that still plays BESM 3 on a regular basis. They actually stat up established anime characters and run tournaments at the convention. Kind of a shame I wasn't able to stick around and take part.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Yeah, "Art Haus" was an imprint of White Wolf that they used to publish, basically, random shit that didn't really fit under any of their other brand names.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:24 AM
Senhor Member

Still a bit hung up on a critical part of this popular RPG vampire fantasy being that nobody nuts. Or at best if youíre well adjusted itís like youíre taking hella SSRIís. (I assume) I know it was part of the 90s version, too. Like Danny Ortberg says, life is a rich tapestry.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:31 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Yeah, Anne Rice vampires were the main influence on WoD vampires and Anne Rice vampires don't fuck. Vampires that fuck weren't so much in fashion until Laurell K. Hamilton hit it big some time later on.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Senhor Member

I just donít understand how these non-fucking vampires came into fashion at all. More power to them, I guess.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

The fucking was in the blood drinking. After all, why poke once when you can poke twice at the same time! /grouchomarx
Old 08-11-2018, 01:41 PM
Sega CD version is better

My friends and I have been playing 20th Anniversary edition Vampire Dark Ages, and itís actually pretty good. Our GM was excited about a new edition of the modern version, but everything Iíve heard is disappointing at best. Even ignoring the edgelord stuff, the core rulebook is less comprehensive, the art looks weaker from what Iíve seen, and it tries to ďfixĒ things mechanically that Iíve never heard anyone complain about, like the blood/hunger mechanics.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:39 PM
Inherently Stealthy

The blood/hunger mechanics are garbage but theyíre inoffensive garbage. As opposed to the new ones which are still garbage but mix in a ton of reactionary politics.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:34 PM

I read Genesys. That sure was a bland RPG. I dunno, I get that it's basically just FFG's Star Wars games with all the flavor sucked out and that's the point, but, well, it's just the Star Wars games with all the flavor sucked out.

After that was Alternity 2018. I'm very intrigued by it, especially the impulse system that lets you mess with your initiative in order to do tricky things in combat - for instance, if you want to aim before firing it takes four impulses instead of the standard three. Bigger guns might do more damage, but they natively take four impulses to fire so you won't be using it quite as often as someone with an easier-to-use weapon. The damage system has you add up the attacker's damage roll and subtract the defender's armor, giving you a total damage that tells you which damage box to scratch off. This seems a bit obtuse, but means that there's a lot of variability of to how long combat takes, while also guaranteeing that all enemies can be taken down so long as you have enough guns - even the biggest monster in the game has only about fourteen boxes, which means fourteen glancing blows will be enough to kill it. At the same time, two heavy shots that can beat the monster's armor by 16+ (soooo... anti-vehicle missiles) will also finish it off. Bring a big enough gun and it will make a real difference.

I also really like the form factor. I have tons of full-size books on my shelf already, I appreciate these RPGs like Alternity, OVA, Savage Worlds, etc. that stick to a smaller size.

Of course, there is the elephant in the room: Alternity 2018 maintain's the original's odd primary mechanic of rolling a base d20 plus or minus a situational difficulty die ranging from d4 to a second d20 (or more). In this case, the target number is twenty minus the character's relevant ability and skill scores. If you're shooting at a mook and have an Agility of six (pretty much the highest you can have a stat at at first level) and firearms skill of two, you're trying to get 12 or better on a d20 plus the difficulty die. It's an odd idea, but I feel like the new version is a bit easier to grok and a smidge friendlier.

Gonna be honest though, they could have really screwed this up and I'd still be happy to get the core book at least, because Alternity is basically the first RPG in my collection even if not technically the first I ever owned. It was the first I specifically sought out instead of just stumbling upon, the first I actually set out to collect, the first I ever hunted down supplementary materials through various internet sites (I'm pretty sure Alternity books are the lion's share of all my ebay purchases ever), the first I found published adventures for, the first I spent time homebrewing for, the first to make me realize you could do a sci-fi RPG, and so on and so forth. I have a lot of emotional investment in Alternity, and I'm glad to see this new version seems to be a worthy, if small, successor to the name.

Of course, it doesn't have a lot of the old material since a lot of that stuff got converted to D20 Modern and presumably is still owned by WotC, but what the hell. Won't be that hard to convert sesheyans and mechalus to the new system.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 PM

Oooooh snap, Coolstuff just shipped my latest order. One I put in nearly four months ago for Wrath & Glory, which - at the time - was supposed to release the next week. Guess it's finally coming out!

The order also has Scum & Villainy, the sci-fi version of Blades in the Dark, and the newest edition of Legend of the Five Rings. I'm more excited for one of these than the other, but the important thing is now I need to get my current reading done so I'll be ready for the delivery!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
The newest edition of Legend of the Five Rings. I'm more excited for one of these than the other, but the important thing is now I need to get my current reading done so I'll be ready for the delivery!
As someone who has double dipped on each of the books so far. Once on PDF through DriveThru, and the physical. This game unjust aces. I never played the old ones, but this one isn't about I make big numbers and the lore they are producing is fantastic.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Scum and Villainy is really good.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:41 PM

Yeah, I enjoyed Blades in the Dark but I like everything better with sci-fi so I'm looking forward to it. L5R I was excited about but I've heard it's another Genesys conversion so I'm tempering my expectations.

As for things I have already read and haven't mentioned in this thread yet....

I really wanted to like Overlight, but the mechanics were blah to bad. I don't think I've ever seen a pen and paper RPG that not only has mana screw in it but has miscast effects that range from turning your feathers silver to permanently burning out your ability to cast that spell to causing one of the other party members to commit suicide.

Tiny Wasteland and Tiny Frontiers Revised are pretty much exactly what you would expect from an RPG that promises character stats that can fit on an index card and mechanics that work with just three six-sided dice. Half or more of each book was just setting ideas, and half of the mechanics rules were just repeated between books anyway. Still, the tweaks between the different rulesets are big enough to make them actually feel different and the form factor ensures I wouldn't mind picking up a couple more of these.

Valor is one I really want to try out. I would describe it as the baby of the good parts of D&D 4E and point-buy anime systems like BESM or OVA. Buy abilities for grid-based tactical combat! Buy out of combat skills! Buy them with different pools of points so everyone has equal combat and non-combat power levels! And while you can take some penalties for extra points, they're all real penalties with mechanical effects, so no taking weird roleplay-only penalties to min-max like making a mute preteen girl and claiming discrimination so you can level entire towns in one shot. What an amazing idea. And instead of a preconstructed adventure to try it out, it has an entire mini campaign in the book - bonus!

Call of Catthulhu is cute and seems like a good into game to RPGs, since there's no math and the game is weighted in favor of the players (the dice have two sad cats and four happy cats on them - no matter who is rolling, happy cats are good and sad cats are bad for any cats involved, which is usually the PCs). Adorable, but just as weightless as you would assume.

Keeping with the cat theme, Monarchies of Mau sure is Pugmire but for cats, with all the small tweaks to mechanics and theme that implies.