The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His
Default Wii Shop Is Ending

According to this page, the Wii Shop Channel will go offline January 31, 2019. More importantly, the last call for buying points is March 27, 2018. That's soon!

The biggest loss will be, of course, the myriad of virtual console games which will once again be a distant memory available only through piracy or exorbitant prices. There are also a number of Wii Ware games which will wink out of existence. Those games will truly be available only through piracy.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:26 AM
Come, noble knights!

Damn, now I'm even more disappointed that Square Enix hasn't done western releases for their Wii U stuff. Looks like I'd better get some points to snag the stuff I missed while I still can. Well, that or emulate on my Galileo, but I'd prefer using my CCP over my old USB controller with the weird circular blob for a D-pad when it comes to Blitzes.

Oh well, we should've seen it coming with points cards vanishing from stores years ago and Nintendo never integrating the Wii Shop into the eShop like they did with DSiWare on 3DS.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:55 AM
asleep at the wheel

Well I know where my play money's gonna be focused for the next few months!

And I had just this month started buying up some of my favorites like Majora's Mask and Chrono Trigger, along with easier-to-miss stuff like Ufouria and Wonder Boy III. I was actually surprised to see the Wii Shop still up at this point, until I checked it on a whim.

Maybe we should get a list of recommended titles going? I wouldn't mind seeing some recommendations from you guys.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:06 AM
one zero zero one SOS

Wow. I am going to have to jump on a few WiiWare titles then or else kiss them bye-bye.

First and foremost: Contra ReBirth (since I really liked CV ReBirth). Any other recos?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:33 AM
Off the Hook av collects

Pronouns: he / his

I'm surprised Nintendo kept it going this long, and this is ample time to prepare and purchase stuff. I should definitely get the ReBirth games and maybe a random VC title or two...
Old 09-29-2017, 06:37 AM
Awake

Pronouns: He/Him

I fired up my Wii and had a look at what was on offer, wound up buying some points and buying some stuff. Unfortunately I've gone over my monthly download limit and my connection is throttled so the downloads kept failing (I hope that's why they were failing) so I'll try again next month. I forgot how annoying the Wii shop interface is. Everything takes forever to load (probably again because of my internet throttling), you can't just call up an alphabetical list of everything (particularly annoying in the WiiWare section), it doesn't tell you how big the files are until you go to purchase, you can only buy points in lots of 1000 (I'm gonna be left with 500 spare after I get what I'm after, have to put some thought into what SMS or NES game to get).

For recommendations, I'm not totally sure what's only available on Wii, but I think later VCs don't have Mega Drive or SMS games on them (aside from a small number on 3DS). The MD is pretty well represented on collections (I think almost everything on Wii is on Steam), but I don't know of many places to get SMS games. Unfortunately there aren't many on there, but Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy III, the first Sonic game, and Phantasy Star are all really good. Alex Kidd in Shinobi World, Sonic 2, the first Wonder Boy, and Enduro Racer are more cautious recommendations (especially Enduro, which I like a lot but is a very small game).

Anyone know if Bubble Bobble Plus is any good? Or the NES Bubble Bobble? I grew up playing it on SMS and C64 but neither of those is available.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:12 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Took a look through the list of games on Wikipedia (link goes to N America list), and dang that is a lot. I'll have to do some cross-referencing this weekend to see what I don't have and couldn't get.

On the other hand, the Wii is really old, and if something happens to it I couldn't redownload the games after 2019 anyway...
Old 09-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Watch and learn

Pronouns: He/him

For all the whining about it, the Wii's Virtual Console was very thorough. There are several games on it that aren't available in any other form as of right now, so be sure to poke through the list.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:16 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Is there a way to dump WiiWare ROMs?
Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
For all the whining about it, the Wii's Virtual Console was very thorough. There are several games on it that aren't available in any other form as of right now, so be sure to poke through the list.
I think people mostly complained because there was so much potential that went unrealized. Over the years, we learned that Nintendo would never come close to fully developing the Virtual Console, and in the end the first iteration was the most complete! There's a lot of great stuff available to play on the Wii and mine is still hooked up to my TV for that exact reason. It's the only home console to get a good port of Chrono Trigger, it has three-player Secret of Mana, it even has friggin' Ogre Battle 64!

Also, for anyone who doesn't have a good way to play Cave Story on their TV, the Wiiware port is totally solid. The translation isn't the best, but it's the same one that's in all of the commercial releases. You can choose original graphics and music if you want, or else the hi-res graphics, which I think are pretty nice. The Steam port is better and has more stuff, but not everyone has a PC hooked up to their TV.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:27 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Nintendo put a lot of work in to get a lot of amazing games and no work to actually advertise those games. I forget where I read this, but I believe a large portion of people didn't even realize the Wii Shop existed. I think it was Parish on Retronauts who said they should have just put Super Mario Bros. on everyone's Wii and have it start with an ad for the Wii Shop.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:46 AM
Dead Horse Rider

Man there are a lot of WiiWare games. There's at least 330 in the USA region alone.

I recommend:

Alien Crush Returns
Blaster Master: Overdrive
Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth
Contra ReBirth
Dive: The Medes Islands Secret
(my favorite WiiWare game)
FAST Racing League
Jett Rocket
La-Mulana
LostWinds
LostWinds 2: Winter of the Melodias
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Muscle March
Star Soldier R
Stonekeep: Bones of the Ancestors
Old 09-29-2017, 07:51 AM
Spear of Justice

Are any of the "Art Style" games on Wii (Cubello, Light Trax, Orbient, Rotohex, Rotozoa) still worth getting?
Old 09-29-2017, 08:00 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

I had a lot of fun with Cubello, and recommend it highly.

Insofar as I know, I am the only person who has ever bought it, let alone recommended it.

It's also unplayable if you have any degree of colourblindness. Or if your ability to discern different shades of the same colour falls below, say, that of a peregrine falcon, or mantis-shrimp.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:01 AM
Awake

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhuminator View Post
Dive: The Medes Islands Secret(my favorite WiiWare game)
What's the deal with this one? I saw it when I was looking through the shop and assumed it was shovelware.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:55 AM
Family Man

Get that Rondo Of Blood, everybody!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Sin and Punishment was memorable, and there's also the TurboGrafx-CD version of Ys Books I and II. I need to get a copy of Pulseman while I can.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Watch and learn

Sin & Punishment's on Wii U, so it's not going anywhere for the moment.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:37 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Bloodlines and Hard Corps never showed up on Wii VC?!?!?!
Old 09-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

Right?!?
Old 09-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Off the Hook av collects

Nope, Konami didn't port any of their Genesis games over to the Wii VC. Shame, too.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:51 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I really should make my copies of pulseman and monster world iv honest roms. I wonder if I should make my own, more complete list of virtual console games that were basically only available in English on it
Old 09-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

You...

You can do that?
Old 09-29-2017, 06:17 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Nintendo put a lot of work in to get a lot of amazing games and no work to actually advertise those games. I forget where I read this, but I believe a large portion of people didn't even realize the Wii Shop existed. I think it was Parish on Retronauts who said they should have just put Super Mario Bros. on everyone's Wii and have it start with an ad for the Wii Shop.
I think that at least Virtual Console was well known within the hardcore fan community. However, original WiiWare titles were always fairly unknown. There were few professional reviews and no curation options like user ratings or anything. I wouldn't have known LIT existed if not for being a big WF fan who read about it online. If your game wasn't a remake like the Rebirth series, or got promotion due to being multiplatform/part of a bigger series, good luck on selling anything unless it was featured on youtube or on your forum of choice. I knew of Tomeno Sanner only because of Giant Bomb. Titles were tossed on and forgot like app stores' games sections.

Compounding that issue was the "full fridge" problem. The Wii had an asininely low amount of onboard storage. Mainly because Nintendo went with half a gig of solid-state storage, long before it got remotely affordable to have large amounts. A big reason why the XBLA and (to a lesser extent) PSN took off and basically gave a huge amount of exposure and attention to independent and download titles on console was because, well, you actually had room to keep them on your console.

Barring the possibility that you bought a launch Xbox 360 model with a 20 GB HDD, if you bought download titles, you likely have almost all of them still downloaded and ready to play on your system to this day, unless you hated one and deleted it or delete games after you beat them. Scrolling through that Game Library was pretty nice when you've built up a digital collection.

Maybe no big if Nintendo offered or allowed an external storage solution? Kind of. You could use SD cards to store games. Store, not play. Imagine if you own both a freezer/fridge combination, and have a much larger chest freezer. You probably use the refrigerator part (disc games most of the time), but once in a while you dig an old leftover out of the freezer unit on top. But it's tiiiiiny. Imagine that every time you wanted something frozen that happened to be in your chest freezer, you *could not* eat it until you've pulled an item of at least the same size, or multiple sizes out of the top freezer and either used it as well, or put it in the chest freezer. That long and tortured analogy is the Wii's way of handling all download games. It is, however, not as long and tortured as actually doing it.

Yet, it isn't even an analogy created by "entitled" gamers. Nintendo themselves coined the "full fridge" thing (maybe NoA, at least)! They knew it was a pain in the butt, too!

Last edited by Andrew; 09-29-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:34 PM

My favorites:

1. Dungeon Explorer. Gauntlet style game. Great co-op game, and a killer sound track.
2. Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Another great coop game. But you have have to be okay with never beating it. The last handful of levels are absurdly difficult.
3. Castlevania Adventure Rebirth. A great Castlevania game.
4. Contra Rebirth. Another great coop game. Plus you can unlock Plisskin. While we're on the subject Hardcorps Uprising is a pretty fantastic Contra game as well.
5. Phantasy Star IV. My favorite of the 16-bit RPGs: macros and anime cut scenes!
6. Wonder Boy in Monster Land. I've always felt this game was 1-2 design choices away from being an all-time classic. I think a save or a password file would made this game even greater than it is. Its still a fantastic game, and relatively less known than Nintendo 8-bit classics.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:35 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Obligatory link to Parish's list of must-have Wii VC games. The one that stands out to me is Last Blade 2. If I get around to plugging in my Wii, maybe I'll grab it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
Anyone know if Bubble Bobble Plus is any good? Or the NES Bubble Bobble? I grew up playing it on SMS and C64 but neither of those is available.
Both are quite good, with caveats. Bubble Bubble Plus has a drab, unnecessarily 3D look that's a poor substitute for the charmingly retro NES sprites. However, BB+ has four player and a lot of variety of levels, making it a better game overall. Both games have a handful of bullshit levels that you'll get stuck on, which seems to just be an unspoken requirement of the Bubble Bobble series. I have a lot more nostalgia for the NES version(and I like the bubble physics better) but it's hard to argue with BB+'s features.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:46 PM
Watch and learn

The Last Blade 2 is on PS4 and Vita as well now, so don’t feel pressured to buy it if you have one of those platforms.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Off the Hook av collects

Yeah, and I'm sure Last Blade 2 will get onto Switch sooner than later. Still, though, if it's the only way to get your hands on the game, do so, because it's great.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:12 PM
Come, noble knights!

Bubble Bobble Plus is also available on XBLA under the name Bubble Bobble Neo. Same goes for Bust-a-Move Plus under the name Bust-a-Move Live.

I can vouch for Sanagi's description of BB+, owning it on WiiWare myself. Level designs ranging from good to unfair bullshit,art design that's not bad but feels lacking compared to the sprites of past Bubble Bobbles, really great 4-player support for the non-classic mode and DLC.

As for BaM+, really the worst I could say about that game (besides the sprite thing) is that it's lacking the Japanese weirdness that makes the likes of Puzzle Bobble 2* so appealing. Anyway, it's a pretty good game, I definitely recommend it.

* I specify Puzzle Bobble 2 'cuz what Bust-a-Move Again did to the game for the US market was a horrible crime against Japanese aesthetic design.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Dead Horse Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
What's the deal with this one? I saw it when I was looking through the shop and assumed it was shovelware.
Dive: The Medes Island Secret is not surprisingly a game about diving, or rather treasure diving. The dive setting is around the Illes Medes, a small and craggy group of seven islets in the northwestern Mediterranean Sea. You play the part of a solo diver, seeking lost treasure given precedence by an old legend. The gameplay is very simple, and to me seems a spiritual successor to 1983's Scuba Dive for the ZX Spectrum.

That is to say you navigate underwater mazes seeking treasure, avoiding dangerous sea creatures, and constantly risk the chance of running out of air. Air also doubles as your HP, so getting hit by enemies saps air supply too. Thankfully you can sell treasures for the cash needed to upgrade your diving equipment. Upgraded diving equipment allows you to return to previous dive areas and explore further, due to being able to dive deeper and longer. Ultimately there are 10 diving areas, and to beat the game you have to find all 10 of the primary treasures in each area. This is made enjoyable by simple controls, immersive graphics, and a relaxing atmosphere.

Many "professional" reviewers decried Dive for being overly difficulty and too hard to enjoy. I have no idea what those people were doing wrong. I beat this game in two and a half hours on normal difficulty without any issue. If you can take advantage of checkpoints and use a map, you'll be fine. And while we're talking about maps, if I could make one change to the game, it'd be to add a mini-map to the screen. It becomes tedious having to constantly swap between the game world and map screen.

Dive: The Medes Island Secret is a short and sweet experience, though perhaps too single minded in its approach. There's certainly not much variety in game design here. Once you've beaten one level, that's what the next nine are like (just progressively more complex with new art). However, if you can get into the relaxing atmosphere and enjoy exploration, you may find Dive: The Medes Island Secret is a pleasant way to spend a few hours. Suit up, splash in, and have a nice swim outside the typical genres.

Tags
candle in the wiind , nintendo , obituaries...? , rest for wiiwarey souls , virtual extinction , virtually inconsolable , wii , wiiping for this loss