The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-19-2018, 06:02 AM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Yes, I managed to complete the Octo Expansion including the secret boss. This was an excellent addition to Splatoon 2 and I loved how crazy the endgame became. Hopefully with Nintendo always mentioning that the is the first paid DLC for Splatoon 2 that means we'll see at least one more expansion in the future. It would be interesting to see an expansion that goes into some more backstory regarding Grizzco, but at the same time that could probably be saved for Splatoon 3 because after the Octo Expansion it will be kind of hard going back to a "DJ Octavio steals the Zapfish" campaign again.
What made me realize upon completing this expansion was "Why didn't they start the game out with this campaign to begin with?" It was fairly meaty to start, but the leadup to the last 7 stages + final boss was some of the greatest moments in Splatoon single-player history. Not to mention the overall stakes were much higher so seeing you triumph and getting that Pearl + Marina hugging scene just felt good, especially after reading those chatroom logs.

The campaign did everything right...well, nearly. But that end song Into the Light was really worth the pain.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I'm tempted to get this in the sale. Is therr much actual singleplayer content?
Old 06-19-2018, 06:25 AM
Off the Hook av collects

Pronouns: he / his

Splatoon 2 on its own has a decently sized solo campaign, although if you're familiar with the original you'll find it doesn't do much on building lore or changing up the story. The level design is on par with the first game with new enemy types and platforming opportunities, and there are some good boss fights. However, it is definitely a sidenote to the multiplayer, and would probably take less than 10 hours to finish.

Octo Expansion has been pretty fantastic so far. It raises the challenge bar up quite a bit, has a lot of variety and really dives deep into some world building and discussing the pasts of Off the Hook, as well as bringing back S1 solo campaign characters. I have no complaints about it.

So with the sale and Octo I'd say go for it. I don't like online multi in most games but I love Splatoon's, so you may find your investment worth it anyway if you decide to dabble in that mode.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:28 AM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I'm tempted to get this in the sale. Is therr much actual singleplayer content?
In the base Splatoon 2 game? There is, but it definitely isn't as substantial without getting Octo Expansion. The DLC literally addresses all of the issues with the main campaign, including mission variety and rehashed story from Splatoon 1.

So yeah, get Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion. I feel the Expansion itself was well worth more than $20. Some even say it's a much better DLC than BotW's Champion of the Balads, even comparing it to the likes of The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine in terms of quality.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:19 AM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Octo Expansion is absurdly difficult. Holy crap. I don’t even know how to finish that dodging stage, I had to have Marina cheat it for me.
They showed off footage (if it's the stage I'm thinking of) in one of the treehouse live segments. Moving forward and backward, surprisingly, seems to be an important key.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

¡PULPA POR MIS PULPOS!
Old 06-23-2018, 02:35 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfried View Post
Which was the most difficult missions for you?

Girl Power Station has been giving everyone trouble. Apparently also some of the 8-ball missions.
Girl Power was definitely a no go. I got through the 8 ball stages fine, though.

Basically anything with targets/balloons and a time limit are impossible for me. I’m too poor a shot, and the margin for error is so slim, that they’re more or less impossible for me. I’m very thankful the skip function is so lenient or I’d be pretty down on the whole thing.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:18 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Haha, wow, the “ink the statue” boss is like they wanted to make a specific hell for me. The level design does a horrendous job of pointing me where I need to go, particularly where and when I should be using the grind rails.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:08 AM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Girl Power was definitely a no go. I got through the 8 ball stages fine, though.

Basically anything with targets/balloons and a time limit are impossible for me. I’m too poor a shot, and the margin for error is so slim, that they’re more or less impossible for me. I’m very thankful the skip function is so lenient or I’d be pretty down on the whole thing.
There’s apparently a trick to that stage. The key is defeating the Octolings as soon as they enter the arena to prevent yourself from being overwhelmed. If you have a Charger and are quick enough, you can even pick off the Octolings still just hanging by the wall waiting to be spawned! Otherwise, I’ve heard the Roller is a pretty effective weapon in this scenario.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:04 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Since I'm mainly seeing comments about how hard the expansion is that seem frustrated with it, would you all recommend buying it? Lumber is traveling for three weeks and has the Switch with him so I held off on purchasing and now I'm wondering if I should just skip it?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 AM
Fifth Business

I would instantly and enthusiastically recommend the Octo Expansion to anybody in the world who owns Splatoon 2 and a spare twenty bucks. Not only is it by far the best single-player content in either game (Splatoon 1's final boss fight is the only thing in either game that deserves to be in the same room as almost all of Octo Expansion) but even just taken as an entity unto itself it's fantastic, with incredibly clever level designs and unique challenges, and a really satisfying progression system, and wonderful atmosphere and aesthetic that feels distinct from the rest of the game's world while still feeling like a real part of it that lends intrigue and depth and history and texture to the whole, and way more/way BETTER storytelling and characterization than I expected. It is just great, all over the place, with the whole extended climax going far beyond anything I'd anticipated, and just being a thrilling, euphoric time.

As far as the challenge goes, it's there, and don't listen to anybody who tries to be all like "hah, actually, I found it QUITE easy", because nah, it's demanding, parts are frustrating, some parts even feel kinda brutal. But, I DO feel the difficulty's been overstated, and either way, to get to the awesome grand finale and final boss and unlock playable Octoling in multiplayer, you don't need to beat all of it, just a chunk partially of your own choosing (there are various paths and routes to get through the map of challenges) and even within THAT, any time you fail a challenge multiple times the game gives you the offer to skip it, and not even in a way that makes ya feel bad; it's justified in-story, and presented as nothing to be ashamed of. Obviously, there are incentives to completing them yourself, but there were two stages I didn't feel like whamming my head against, so I skipped 'em, and that's okay. They're there for me to go back to, as I'm now working on 100%ing it to unlock the secret boss fight, in the post-game where you can feel a bit more philosophical about checking off the different challenges in the afterglow of your SUCCESS.

Also, while playing as an Octoling in multiplayer isn't a game-changer or anything, I love how many cute little touches and differences they put in, and honestly, after having seen my Octoling through the trials and tribulations of the Octo Expansion I have a hard time imagining going back to playing as the anonymous little Inkling. I FORGED NO EMOTIONAL CONNECTION WITH YOU, INKLING.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:43 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I don't think the difficulty is overblown at all, at least for me. There are several levels I don't think I'm physically capable of beating. Luckily, the game is perfectly fine with me flipping a level the bird and moving on.

If you like Splatoon single player, and want a heaping helping of it, I say go for it. I'm perfectly satisfied with my purchase. And, like Deptford says, it endears you to the characters in a way the games haven't managed until now. Captain Cuttlefish is trying so, so hard to be less octo-racist in a clueless grandpa kind of way, and it's adorable.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Off the Hook av collects

Pronouns: he / his

Octo Expansion is great! And if a level gives you trouble you can skip it with a very mild penalty. If you're a completionist then it might irk you to go that route, but for me I appreciate the option to sample all of the game and still earn all the gear even if I bypassed a level here or there. I think it's well worth the $20, especially when you finish the campaign and see the amount of extra detail Nintendo went through for the Octolings. Entirely unique win/loss animations PLUS they react differently to trying out stuff in the stores really sold me on the whole premise being worth it. (mild spoiler about how Octolings behave in-game)
Old 06-27-2018, 10:16 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

My main gripe with Octo Expansion is that I wish there was more original content instead of (admittedly brilliant) remixes and recontextualization of the components of the main game. Still well worth your time if you enjoyed any Splatoon single payer content.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:41 PM
Family Man

The last hour or so of the Octo Expansion is a trip and worth the 20 clams all by itself. That and the new credits song, which nearly made me cry.

Story Spoliers: I got some Solatorobo vibes from the final stage. Destroying the last remnant of humanity’s legacy to save the new world’s inhabitants.

Tags
eel feels , ika out a victory , marina is best , nintendo , salmon come up! , salmon go down! , spla2n , splatoon , splatwoon , squid-based shooters , switch