The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Little Waves

Best Metroid music:

Metroid
Title
Brinstar
Escape (NES Version)
Ending

Metroid II: Return of Samus
Title

Super Metroid
Theme of Super Metroid
Maridia (Rocky Underground Water Area)
Norfair (Ancient Ruins Area)
Theme of Space Warrior Samus Aran

Fusion
Final Instructions
Epilogue

Prime
Planet Tallon IV
Ending Staff Roll

ZM
Title

Echoes
Chykka Larva Battle
Chykka Adult Battle

Hunters
Menu Select

Corruption
Title

Mom
Ridley Battle
Old 08-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Super Metroid
I don't understand why Norfair is on there and Brinstar isn't.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

Some pretty neat stuff here, along with a preview of a remix album that apparently will be available here tomorrow. Neat!
Old 08-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Kills Thousands

I've played through Super Metroid something like 15 times in the last week.

:O

One might say I'm a huge fan of the series and honestly, any ways you play them is completely valid to me. They typically have intricate and interesting play mechanics and the sense of atmosphere and exploration is unmatched. While some games are weaker than others (Prime 2, cough), the series is just stellar overall.

My personal favorites are the holy trinity (Super, Prime, and Zero Mission), but I've got a real soft spot for the first two games despite them kind of being a bit antiquated. The thing that makes me love the series, in all honesty, is the way that most of them can be broken. It doesn't matter if the sequence break is important or not, I love them all.

Kishi has it mostly right with the music (hells yes NES Escape), but I guess I'll throw out a few of my favorites as well.

Ridley's Lair (Metroid)
Metroid Hive (Return of Samus)
Red Brinstar (Super Metroid)
Overworld 2 (Metroid Prime)
Torvus Bog (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

Its Metroid Day and I love Metroid like you wouldn't believe and I spent most of the day playing The Legend of Zelda.

Something has gone TERRIBLY WRONG with my mind.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Little Waves

Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 PM
boku girl

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

Metroid gifs? They're my favourite!

Metroid really has some of the best spritework in the business. Who could forget the epic showdown with the Omega Metroid in Fusion, for instance?

Or the balls-difficult fight with the colossal spider boss Yakuza?

Or Samus' wordless reaction to the sacrifice of the baby Metroid at the end of Super Metroid?

that didn't actually happen.
I just made that up
Old 08-06-2011, 07:33 PM
boku girl

Oh, also, I've been postulating (warning: wild speculation ahead):

I think there hasn't been any Metroid news this year because Nintendo might be working on something for WiiU. It's reasonable to assume that they want to put more development into WiiU than Wii right now. We know that the WiiU is their attempt at trying to reach out to the core audience again, and we know that they want to try making more mature games on it. I think it's reasonable to assume that Metroid is the best balance between "could adapt well into an M-rated title" (contrast: Mario) and "would sell well via brand recognition" (contrast: Geist). As an added perk, it an M rating and access to more mature themes would give them more room to work with the issue of how they wrote themselves into a corner: They can't make anything set before the original Metroid because basically nothing happened before it, and they can't make anything set after Fusion because they didn't want Samus to attack human enemies (Federation Troopers). Hence everything post-Fusion being a midquel.
So with this in mind I think it can be reasonably assumed that they want Metroid on the WiiU. Just likely not for a while. Metroid's a strong franchise, but it's not strong enough to be called a killer app, especially after backlash from Other M; so I doubt any hypothetical Metroid game in development would work as a launch title. Maybe a year or so into the console's life cycle though? That could work.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Also

I think this is my favourite Space Pirate comic yet.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

No offense meant to the otherwise great compositions from Fusion and Zero Mission, but listening to Metroid tunes side by side like this makes it all the more obvious just how terrible the Game Boy Advance was at handling audio.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Little Waves

Yeah, a whole bunch of Fusion's soundtrack is spent trying to build tension and atmosphere, and it's just not effective due to the muffled sound quality.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 PM
boku girl

It's not so bad if you're not playing it on the GBA hardware.

Also: It's really loud.

DoubleDusk is livestreaming the original game. Just started a few minutes ago.

Last edited by Tegan; 08-06-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:01 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Rene and Metroid

I got my NES Christmas 1989. I knew nothing about videogames and really had no idea why I wanted one! A part of my gift was to pick out a 2nd (3rd?) game besides SMB / Duckhunt packin. I milled about the store for a while and eventually decided on Metroid. It beat out Spelunker and I think Karnov.

Why Metroid? Snazzy name. Snazzy Silver Packaging. ADVENTURE SERIES. Plus some kid in the store said there was a password you had to figure out (?)

Because I am way too cool for manuals and was a total dumb ass, I had no idea that passwords were for saving progress and that when you turn the game off you otherwise have to start over. Doi.

ANYWAY

Metroid personifies what I like about the NES era. Wild weird experimentation with non-linear platforming. I loved games like this and Simon's Quest, Rygar, Strider. These games are hard to play now, but they had that sense of adventure. They seemed epic if even the game world was really small. I liked back tracking, to explore an old area with new powers. I love that Kraid was miniboss 1 even though I would take out Ridley first everytime. I love the creepiness of the power up room music. I like the simple but effective graphics. The game had atmosphere - you are exploring the ancient catacombs of this planet, what were these demonic faces in Brinstar? Who were these bird statues? I love that aside from bosses, most enemies are in fact just local wildlife. Then Tourian. After all the talk of the threat of the metroids, shit gets real. I hope you brought freeze beam!

I liked how the game didn't give you much to work on. Discovering bomb paths and fake out lava pits hiding secrets was rewarding. It taught you to look for bombable areas without always showing you BOMB HERE with special blocks. I liked that I had to make my own map!

I missed 2 until much later. I had traded my GB for a TG16 (YES). But Super was a religious experience for me. But in a lot of ways I thought they made it less bad ass. I disliked the map stations. After awhile you knew exactly how big the world was, in the original the lack of map made it seem boundless. I also disliked the xray visor - pretty much telling you what to do in most situations. Also the game was more structured. I didn't know about sequence breaking, but the first game was - go get em Samus! - with no direction. In SM there was very much a proper sequence, and it kind of bugged me.

All that aside - SM was a vastly superior game. I loved the intro, the rain, trashed Tourian, revisting areas from the original. And holy shit the music! The voice clip at the beginning raped my mind. My friends and I quipped that that is were the 24 megs went. I rented the game at first. Beat it. Then I bought the mother fucker and made sure I 100%'d it and was able to beat in under 3 hours.

Then nothing for a long time...

Prime of course freaked me out. FPSs were not my thing... and what if they made it Halo. Fusion was the way to be... too bad it was on the GBA...? It's still weird to me that Prime turned out to be more of a 'Metroid' game than Fusion. But there we have it. Fusion I enjoy on it's own merits - but Prime was sublime. And epic. And immersive. Raindrops on helmet, cool ambient music. The crashed ship! So many cool parts. It very much was a remake of Super in a lot of ways, but in 3D. The Ocarina of the Zelda Series. Plus this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewcljvJQAQA

It was awesome after a dearth of Metroid to all of a sudden have 2 games. And they were both pretty triple A. Nintendo was finally treating Metroid with dignity and not some cool indifference?

I like Echoes and Corruption a lot. In Echoes I like that the world was less fire/ice/etc like Prime and more like the Dark Crystal. I like that it was hard. I like that the Sanctuary was Cybertron. I love Quadraxis and Emperor Ing. It did lose some metroidiness with the main hub area and the other main areas being kind of their own closed of stage, but it was fucking awesome. I like that the Dark Suit looked like it was from Guyver and the Light Suit just looked fucking cool.

Corruption proved that Wii controls could be not just bullshit. It hasn't really been topped since in that department. The world was further fragmented by a galactic map, and landing areas per planet. And the Bryyo boss can eat my ass. Despite this the game rocked. I actually love how the Federation was portrayed vs in Fusion and MOM. I like that every one treats Samus as a badass. I like that the map gives a sense of scale, travelling between worlds. Something attempted at and failed in Hunters. I especially love the pirate homeworld. The Aurora unit thread went nowhere ultimately, but was an interesting bit of world building.

MOM - I don't hate this game, but hits a lot of lame vectors. Hub design, overly action, terrible story, reducing Samus' badassery, terrible wii controls, lame and uninteresting environments. That crap with MB. But it is still a lot of fun, but it's weird that for 15$ Shadow Complex was the vastly superior Metroid game. But holy fuck was Phantoon cool. All the bosses were. Unless you need pixelhunt BS. Also fuck that power bomb business!

I hope Metroid isn't really for real dead. I'd like a proper 2D one. Nin should get WayForward on it! For me Metroid is above Mario on things I give a shit Nintendo Scale. Zelda -> Metroid -> Mario?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Curious Young Gent

I think Fusion is the game that has scared me the most since the Resident Evil stopped doing so at all (post-3). I guess it's more or less just doing the RE3 Nemesis thing through half the game with the SA-X, but there's other fights with significant haunting build up (most notably the aptly named Nightmare).
Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 PM
boku girl

A few minutes past midnight here.
I basically spent all day either playing Prime 2 or discussing Metroid with you guys and /v/. It was a good way to celebrate.

See you next mission.

(also you really should check out that livestream I linked. Not because the guy's any good at it, but because he's really bad at it and the chat box is filled with people ruthlessly making fun of him for doing a livestream of a game that he clearly doesn't remember how to play. It's especially funny because the same website is livestreaming Zero Mission, as played by someone who's actually really good at it)

(...speaking of which, where's Brickroad? I thought he'd be all over this)
Old 08-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Metroid: At some point when I was a kid, a friend of my older brother let us borrow 8 NES game that I had never played: Metroid, 10-Yard Fight, Rygar, Baseball, Section Z....and a few others I can't remember but I do remember wandering around and not getting anywhere. It wasn't until I rented it later after someone told me about JUSTIN BAILEY that I finally figured it out and had fun with it

Metroid II: I've played about 30 minutes total of this and I'm not too keen on it. I think the main problem is that Samus's sprite is huge on the GB screen and it makes it all kind of awkward

Super Metroid: I never bought Super Metroid when I was a kid but I rented the hell out of it and other bastard kids like myself would overwrite my save so I'd start from the beginning each time. I started mapping out the game on graph paper and coming up with the best route and I eventually beat it during a weekend rental but all the sequence breaking never occurred to me and I still don't bother with it now. I guess it's because I'm paranoid about getting stuck in an unwinnable game like when I'd get stuck in old text based adventure games when I was a kid.

Fusion: My opinion of Fusion waffles back and forth every time I play it. When it first came out I loved it because, in my mind, it was Super Metroid on a handheld, much in the same way I enjoyed Circle of the Moon initially. I played it a few years after that and hated it because of how linear it is but last year I played it for 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there and I really had a lot of fun with it. I basically just tried to get from one save point to the next within the short time frame I was playing. A lot of things jumped out at me when I played it last, mainly the quality of the graphics and how well they nailed the mood. It doesn't hold up very well as a Metroid game but I think it's one of the better action games on the GBA.

Prime: I'm replaying this now. I can't believe how low a percentage I got on the previous playthrough (which was right after it was released).

ZM: This one is my go-to GBA game after I finish some other handheld game. It's really a blast just to plow through it as fast as possible.

Echoes: I lost interest in this one about 1/3 of the way through it.

Hunters: I played the demo that came with my DS but not much else :\

Corruption: I thought this was okay but it didn't have all the stuff I loved about SM and Prime.

Mom: Despite being a big fan of the series, I still haven't played this.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 PM
"I don't get people."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
flying Cheerios
Rinkas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Since nobody answered this part specifically...
Let me rephrase my question: Can you use the GC-GBA link cable(and a copy of Fusion) to unlock stuff on the MP Trilogy version? I'm betting not, though it's not like the Wii doesn't have the socket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Starfox woes
Have you tried Starfox 2?
Quote:
metroid histories
I've been at just about every one initially( except Metroid 2- got recently, and Hunters- never got, and pinball doesn't count. Gift-givers gave me ...I forget if it was DKCR, Corruption, or Galaxy 2 over M:OM and it just deosn't seem like I should go for it.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayin
This isn't even to go on to say how hilariously ugly and nonsensical Nightmare looks .
Isn't that the point of a nightmare?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Best Metroid music:
Metroid II: Return of Samus
Title
Main Tunnel
Come on man.

There probably won't be a better time to post this.

another slightly different angle
A wire sculpture of Samus, done many years ago, by myself. There are only two wires. One of them has that red mark by it (on the arm cannon), and is about two inches long. The rest comprises the entire sculpture.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
This is one of my favorite video game tracks ever. Shit is downright haunting.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:16 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

Metroid: I rented it once or twice as a kid, but with my very limited game playing time as a kid, I could never really thoroughly explore the game to find stuff and so I never really got into it. I did play through it when I unlocked it in Zero Mission, and enjoyed that.

Metroid 2: I was only able to rent this once, when I was visiting my grandparents, since there were no stores near me that rented GB games. I remember having a lot of trouble seeing the game on my original GB, so I didn't really get into it. I ended up playing this in the weeks before MF and MP were released.

Super Metroid: I got this for my birthday, shortly after its release. LOVED IT. It was one of the few games that my brother and I both enjoyed, and we each explored many different parts of the game and discovered secrets. A few years later, we got a Game Genie, and used it to completely break open the game. Perhaps due to this, the game eventually became unable to keep save files, so we didn't mind trading it in to Funcoland with most of our other SNES games* to afford a PSX in 1997. In retrospect, I feel a little bad about trading in an essentially broken game, but I guess it could still be played.

Metroid Fusion: I was incredibly excited about this! I actually do enjoy this game, although it isn't my favorite Metroid. I was stationed in Japan when this and Prime were released, so I had to wait two extra weeks for my copies to be shipped to me, and that extra wait was excruciating. I ended up emulating Fusion, but there was something horribly wrong with the ROM's sound, and it would only make an ear-piercing, endless beep if the volume was on. I only played it for a few hours this way, but it was nice to play it a little earlier than I otherwise would have had to.

Metroid Prime: Nothing original to say here -- like most people, I thought the FPS Metroid would be awful and the 2D Metroid would be the greatest game ever. I'm still surprised that Prime turned out to be so great!

Zero Mission: Really enjoyed this one. I don't usually do speedruns or minimum item runs or anything in games, but I loved ZM enough to go for most of the special ending pictures. I think the only one I didn't finish was the 15% run on Hard Mode.

Metroid Prime 2: Got a few hours in, got bored, never played it again. Much like my experience with Fusion and Prime 1, I bought this at the same time as Metal Gear Solid 3. After MGS2, I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but much to my surprise, MP2 turned out to be lame and MGS3 turned out to be incredibly great.

Metroid Prime 3: Not much to say here, really. I enjoyed my first playthrough well enough, then tried it again a couple of years later, and only got about halfway through. Haven't really had much desire to play it again.

Metroid: Other M: I had heard a ton of bad things about this one, so I did the ol' Gamestop "free used game rental" maneuver to check it out and didn't care for it at all.

*We saved the console, as well as Earthbound, SMRPG, and FFIII. Earthbound was stolen about a month later.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
(...speaking of which, where's Brickroad? I thought he'd be all over this)
Ain't nothin' to celebrate until April 18, 2019.

(Can you double-check that for me, Kishi?)
Old 08-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Little Waves

Th....That's right.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:08 AM
VGM is updated yo!

After Super Metroid, Metroid 2 is my favorite of the series. Yes, better than Metroid 1. There, I said it.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:38 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Ain't nothin' to celebrate until April 18, 2019.

(Can you double-check that for me, Kishi?)
???
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 AM
"I don't get people."

= 25th anniversary of NA release of Super Metroid. hm.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 AM
120 Days

Oh rait.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 AM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

I still love this depiction of Ridley. "Bitch, Imma just sit down on your head."
Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Frightful Hobgoblin

Pronouns: He / him

Generous use of the word 'superfan' there, teg. Go and finish Super Metroid! It's not as hard as you think.

No male over the age of 20 should be without every inch of SM's Zebes indelibly stamped upon his memory.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

teg's not a dude?
Old 08-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Frightful Hobgoblin

Pronouns: He / him

I do beg your pardon; still a newbie. Actually, I've no idea where the gender specificity came from. This applies to everybody capable of experiencing it. But I was only kidding.

Last edited by Klatrymadon; 08-07-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:45 PM
clearlynotcollegeeducated

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia View Post
Here's something that's been a mystery to me since I was a kid: what exactly flies out of the statues' eyes once they're (de)activated? Does anyone have a sprite of it?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Here's my Metroid experience:

Super Metroid: My first Metroid game. Hired it on import for a day or so, and got roughly to the bit before Kraid. I liked the atmosphere, but I hadn't worked out that you had to bomb for hidden passages, so I got kind of stuck. Anyway, I got it on its official PAL release (complete with annoying French/German subtitles you just can't get rid of) beat Kraid then fell head over heels in love with it. The Wrecked Ship and the Crocomire fight were incredibly atmospheric and tense, and it was one of the first games I played that was in any way scary. The final boss fight and escape sequence is indelibly burned on my memory - only the appearance of Ganon in OoT, the transition to the Dark School in Silent Hill 1 and the Kafei / Anju subquest have made such an impression on me.

Metroid II: I got this hoping for mini Super Metroid. Oh well. Quite enjoyable until I got the Spider Ball, then it's impossible to work out where to go next without graph paper.

Metroid Fusion: As my abiding love for Super has so much to do with its atmosphere and how it builds it I love this game. It's more action based but it's even more oppressive. Not being particularly fussed about sequence breaking the linearity didn't bother me.

Metroid Prime: Didn't really like it initially. Samus is very slow, no wall jumping, no stacked beams. Then I got to the infra red visor sequence and it clicked. Amazing game - it's out of this and Resident Evil 4 for best game of its generation.

Metroid: Amazing game for its time, needs a map. Also it can cut out that starting with 30 energy crap. Also the fact that Samus can't shoot anything right in front of her on the ground because her shots go right over the beasties.

Metroid Zero Mission: Great game, up there with Super, right until the stealth bit. Chozodia has a terrible terrible layout. And I didn't like the way the stealth worked in the game to be honest.

Metroid Prime 2: Loved it. Lots of silly changes (beam ammo, explicit keys) and the hub and Agon Wastes are too similar making a lot of the game feel samey (and so much purple) but it's really atmospheric. The Spider Guardian (and the long walk to it) can die in a fire, though. Other than that, great bosses.

Metroid Prime Hunters: is a shooting game with a Metroid skin.

Metroid Prime 3: Good game, but Hypermode isn't as interesting as they think it is and the worlds feel somehow seem more "gamey". Also it completely wastes the chance to have a 3d Mother Brain fight. And Mogenar is rubbish. Weakest of the three Primes in my mind.

Metroid: Other M: Frustrating. It does so much right (the engine, the combat, the bosses) and then does silly pixel hunts and the story takes too much precedence. With minor adjustments it could've been great.

Tags
anniversary , beep...boop...bop...boop , cool lizard lady , metro android , metroid , metroid rage , nintendo , save the animals , y cant it crawl tho , young girls love samus