The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-15-2017, 08:26 AM
nothing spatial

Looks like Luminist, the person who made that amazing Metroid: Resynthesized album last year, is doing a Super Metroid: Resynthesized now. He's putting them up on his YouTube channel. He's got the original Metroid: Resynthesized up there as well for anyone who hasn't heard it. It's really good.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:11 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
I played this on the old brick, but I've just tried it on the GBA and I'd forgotten how perfect the colour scheme is. Those cold, steely blues make the game seem even more bleak.
Black-and-white or bust!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Frightful Hobgoblin

Pronouns: He / him

I hear ya - I love that there was colour palette included for it on the GBC, but the game never needed any. (All colour changes I've seen implemented since, by fans, have been fucking ghastly.)

Another thing I'd forgotten about until this revisiting is how effective this is. Harsh urgent throbbing sounds over the Queen's distant high-pitched screeches. I think it's one of the best pieces in the game.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I think the best way to experience the original Metroid II is in the classic pea green, seeing the Game Boy (or 3DS emulated) screen not as a hardware limitation, but as a "hi-tech" window into the dark unforgiving world Samus finds herself in.

It works really well, especially given that a lot of the soundtrack leans more towards ambient noises than music.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:17 PM

This was interesting to watch: Zoasty recently tied the world record for Super Metroid with a time 41:33 and posted a side-by-side comparison with commentary. What's amazing is how incredible close the runs are, about a single frame different in the end. In the video, you get to watch them start out in near perfect sync, then diverge (and later reconverge) as they perform slightly different strats, make mistakes and get different boss encounters, tricks etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGy-CrcV1c

Tags
anniversary , beep...boop...bop...boop , cool lizard lady , metro android , metroid , metroid rage , nintendo , save the animals , y cant it crawl tho , young girls love samus