The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-08-2017, 08:39 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoggleBob View Post
I'm not a big Dynasty Warriors fan: is the break away armor like a staple of that series (or recent entries), or is this just some weird thing that they decided had to be injected into the Fire Emblem formula?
Breakaway armor was in Fire Emblem Fates, so.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:49 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Yup, that's all Fire Emblem sexing up poor, innocent Dynasty Warriors.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Yup, that's all Fire Emblem sexing up poor, innocent Dynasty Warriors.
Maybe so, but see, this game was still co-developed by Team Ninja, the company best known for Boobies Girl Fighter.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:34 PM
grab me some popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Tharja doesn't really have anything to expose without bumping the game's ESRB rating up.
Doesnít she technically wear a sheer body suit over her outfit. Just have some rips and holes in that.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:36 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I think it's a body stocking under the fancy underwear, yeah.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Unreleased Beta Version

Instead of clothing damage, she gets strategically placed curtains that just make her look naked by omission.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:18 PM
so exciting!

how about a giant barrel like in old cartoons
Old 11-09-2017, 01:07 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Iím relieved and genuinely surprised in equal measure
This is 100% in line with what Fire Emblem has been doing since at least Awakening.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Getting Anna didn't take too long after getting Celica. I unlocked the Parallel Falchion, funneled all my gold into a couple characters, grinded a bit, and did the level 80 map with Lucina and friends hovering around 68-70. It took a full half hour and nearly everyone was dead by the end, but I did it.

This game has the same issue Hyrule Warriors does, in that enemies either crumple like paper or else soak up way too much damage. It's not nearly as bad as Hyrule Warriors, mainly because the stun gauge is more forgiving here, but it's still annoying that the only time the game shows any teeth is when you're doing an out-of-depth mission, but it's boring because generals take for~ever to kill.

I'm still having a blast, though. Such a satisfying, stupid game.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:03 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Picked this up last week, completed to date:

Story Mode on Easy to get acquainted with shit
Finished out the non-rift/Anna stuff for the Awakening/Fates maps
Started on the Shadow Dragon/MotE map

F!MC's about 70, most everyone else is in the 30/40 range.

I have noticed that slayer weapons make a huge difference in wasting your time on killing things. Plateslayer is a godsend on maps with knights/great knights, Mountslayer is good for when you've got mounted heroes and so on. Since you can put two Slayer brands on a single weapon, it seems like the best pairings are Plate & Draco or Beastslayer on swords/lances, mount & native wingslayer on bows, mount & draco/beast for axes/tomes. I've only gotten plateslayer so far for stones, but Tiki is goddamn ridiculous anyway (seriously, build up her warrior/awakening gauges and generation and go to town in Awakening mode. Her S1 converts warrior into awakening meter AND breaks animations, and then you murder shit as a manaketedargon).
Old 11-16-2017, 12:33 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

I changed the system voice to Frederick, and was playing later than usual (11:30pm). He just yelled at me and told me to go to bed. Very silly.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:37 AM
so exciting!

usually he just tells me to protect my eyes by playing in a brightly lit room and to take frequent breaks (as if the battery life of the joycons didn't already ensure that, am i right??)
Old 11-16-2017, 07:49 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I use a pro controller man, that shit lasts for longer than a day.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:58 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I use a pro controller man, that shit lasts for longer than a day.
do you think i'm made out of money? who do you think i am, matt leblanc circa 2002 when he and the primary cast of friends started making a million dollars/episode?
Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I have big paws with delicate fingers, trying to use the joycons in any form except when docked to the switch causes me pain.

Also, seriously fuck the sol katti's scroll mission. Trying to do a time attack scroll mission with only bow users is an exercise in frustration. Even at level and using a Brave Bow you just don't have the time to kill any commanders that aren't Slayer vulnerable...which is only manaketes on that map. Took me over an hour last night, because I'd get five or six minutes in then vaporized by the pack of commanders that build up in the pile of mooks you need to slay.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I have big paws with delicate fingers, trying to use the joycons in any form except when docked to the switch causes me pain.
remember the switch reveal when they were like "the individual joy cons fit comfortably in your hand" while showing this image
Old 11-17-2017, 01:31 PM
so exciting!

i finished story mode last night, now it's on to unlocking lyn and celica and anna

stuff i hope is fixed in warriors 2:
  • a better organized inventory with less clutter and also maybe fewer characters with unique weapons that are better than 90% of the crap you pick up
  • the whole crest grid thing being overhauled to be less tedious and grindy
  • a greater variety for weapon types, i know this is fire emblem but it legit feels like all of the archers, mages and lancers/pegasus knights are clones of one another

i loved the ending, which was not radically different from normal fire emblem games, but the greater graphic fidelity made it pretty lol worthy (welp our castle is destroyed but let's have a victory ceremony and also an entire country's royal line was killed off so that's gonna be a nightmare to fix but oh well!)
Old 11-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Lyn is relatively easy as long you're around the right level, her map also has most of the brave-tier weapon unlocks (Marth's has the other two). Celica's map is all level 30+ content, and the big map missions are all 50+. You have to complete (not S-rank) the final mission named after the map in order to unlock them (S-ranking said stages does get you their personal weapons though).

Unlocking Anna requires completing illustrations, which then open up level 80 Anna missions on the relevant history map. Beat a mission to unlock her.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:07 PM
so exciting!

you know who is never getting unlocked? boy corrin, because (A) i completely forgot he existed, (B) he isn't cannon, (C) i am not dedicating my time and money and master seals into leveling up the nohr siblings and there's a map that requires their deployment

i have anna's level 80 map unlocked on the awakening history map tho

there are so many useless weapon abilities
Old 11-18-2017, 06:15 PM
Crazy Old Bird

The OG twins are usually deployable on maps limited by region, so if you promote both of them you can get by with the other characters lagging behind.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:30 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I hate to break it to you, but there are a number of weapon/class limitations also scattered around that requires the Fate kids. 2 out of 3 archers are there after all, and the archer limited maps are fucking terrible.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:43 PM
so exciting!

i'm good on the hoshidan squad, ryoma's astra is something to pass around so he's always tagging along, and sakura and takumi are on flier elimination duty (sakura sometimes being a liability because of topsy-turvy)
Old 11-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Liability how? Topsy turvy makes Sakura into a beast.

Just checked, I don't have any Nohr folks promoted. I did put some coin into them for that map but that's it.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
remember the switch reveal when they were like "the individual joy cons fit comfortably in your hand" while showing this image
Those Joy Cons are tiny, even when put together like a more standard controller. Like, I tried a Super Mario Odyssey store display and I can't see how the average non-child person could rest their index and middle fingers on the trigger buttons comfortably.

I guess you just get used to it.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:14 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Liability how? Topsy turvy makes Sakura into a beast.

Just checked, I don't have any Nohr folks promoted. I did put some coin into them for that map but that's it.
Pegasus Knights have high Res, so she becomes less effective in her main role. Also I got into a fight with an unpromoted enemy Sakura who was like 15 levels lower than mine and it went badly for me.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:10 PM
grab me some popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
you know who is never getting unlocked? boy corrin, because (A) i completely forgot he existed, (B) he isn't cannon, (C) i am not dedicating my time and money and master seals into leveling up the nohr siblings and there's a map that requires their deployment
That mapís also total BS because of the character restrictions you canít deploy either bows or spears. Itís the only one I canít S rank at the moment.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:17 PM
so exciting!

i managed to recruit lyn, but i missed getting her sword by ~2 minutes and frankly i don't feel like doing another Shadow Elimination battle tonight. she's cartoonishly fast though. (lol at her going up to robin thinking he's the tactician. silly lyn, you're thinking of robin's child!)

is there an easy place to get darios's shields, because lianna needs some more skill slots (on the plus side, she's at like level 65, so anna is getting closer and closer)
Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Are You Sure About That?

He shows up in a few late maps on Together to the End, but your best bet is probably just farming the few story maps with him on them.

E: Tungwene, if you're having problems with mounts you should be able to snag a few mount slayers for different weapon types, same with flying.

Meanwhile, I'm pretty much done. Just have some more pictures to assemble, rifts to kill, and Anna missions/DLC map to do.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Double-posting because Shadow missions are actually pretty easy, because they're all structured the exact same way.

All you really need is a player-controllable staff user you park on the base, and then you just hunt down the summoning mages and then rally captains before cleaning up the shadows themselves. The staff user is there so you can command heal the green commander unit and so you can take control and heal the base captain (that you have to do manually because they don't show up on the menu).

The first time I cleared Lyn's recruitment mission I went 15:15, second try was something like 8:00 or so.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:04 PM
so exciting!

I managed to pull out a win on Anna's recruitment map with a level 80 Lianna, Level 60 Lucina and Level 50 Lissa, Fredrick, and Robin (Level 50 Cordelia was also present but she didn't make it past the first fort). Overall it wasn't too hard, but it mostly came down to Lianna juggling all the hordes (thanks Astra!) to keep them from damaging the base.

Tags
do not pursue jeigan , fire emblem , nintendo switch