The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 09-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Mr. Autumn Man

I just realized I forgot to put DKC 2 on my list. Ffffffffffffffu
Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I just realized I forgot to put DKC 2 on my list. Ffffffffffffffu
I thought about it but I never finished it and I'd really just be adding it for Stickerbrush Symphony.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:49 AM

i didn't put any DKC on my list but I did include ken griffey's winning run which is basically the sifted version of it.

Last edited by pudik; 09-12-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 AM
if-then-eels

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I thought about it but I never finished it and I'd really just be adding it for Stickerbrush Symphony.
I always preferred the Brawl version. While the violin samples may not be anything worth writing home about (my biggest issue with that game's soundtrack is definitely the production), I absolutely adore its cheery, brisk pace. It's very Sonic-like to the point where it would have been a no-brainer inclusion in one of the M&S games (might have been, don't really pay much attention to those games' music).

Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Chief

A bit late to the party, but I agonized over not putting Wind Waker on my list. It was one of the first I thought of making my uncurated list, but listening to tracks, I just couldn't quite put it on the top 25. I love the soundtrack, but I think it suffers from being ahead of it's time - the GameCube synth just doesn't do the composition justice. A generation or two later where you could get something more orchestral sounding, and it would have been a shoo in.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:08 AM
if-then-eels

I think the biggest problem with Wind Waker's music is that it's sequenced mainly in order to deal with the fact that a lot of songs are meant to develop dynamically over the course of some action. The dinky little GC discs weren't quite ready to handle that much music data, though it also didn't stop, say, Sega from trying the same thing (I think they overall pulled it off a little better, but you can see they were pushing against the limitations of the time too)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
A bit late to the party, but I agonized over not putting Wind Waker on my list. It was one of the first I thought of making my uncurated list, but listening to tracks, I just couldn't quite put it on the top 25. I love the soundtrack, but I think it suffers from being ahead of it's time - the GameCube synth just doesn't do the composition justice. A generation or two later where you could get something more orchestral sounding, and it would have been a shoo in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I think the biggest problem with Wind Waker's music is that it's sequenced mainly in order to deal with the fact that a lot of songs are meant to develop dynamically over the course of some action. The dinky little GC discs weren't quite ready to handle that much music data, though it also didn't stop, say, Sega from trying the same thing (I think they overall pulled it off a little better, but you can see they were pushing against the limitations of the time too)
Agreed with both points. Wind Waker songs really flourish when given the orchestration/production they needed, and the Gamecube doesn't do it justice. I didn't put it on my list even though it has some of my favorite Zelda songs of all time because I don't feel like the game does it enough justice.

A second sidepoint that I feel like making: Wind Waker actually doesn't lend itself well to the full orchestra in my opinion. I remember hearing the songs played during the Zelda Orchestra concerts, and certainly they're good, but I don't know if that's the best way to cover them, either. Wind Waker's soundtrack feels more like it was built for a small folk band. I'd love to hear the game's best songs redone in this style (as a few of the covers linked before have done).
Old 09-12-2017, 10:36 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Agreed with both points. Wind Waker songs really flourish when given the orchestration/production they needed, and the Gamecube doesn't do it justice. I didn't put it on my list even though it has some of my favorite Zelda songs of all time because I don't feel like the game does it enough justice.
Definitely. The Wii U remaster uses higher-quality instruments for the tracks, and I think it's a marked improvement. I didn't specify on my list, but this is the version I had in mind when I voted for it.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 AM
Sudden chomper

I'm a little bit behind on this thread, but I'm sad that Cave Story didn't place higher (obviously). It's absolutely one of my most-listened-to game soundtracks. Bastion is great and was on my list, but I have no history with or strong feelings about either Tropical Freeze or Saga Frontier.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:33 PM

I voted #1 for SaGaFrontier. For me it's simply the perfect OST. There are many reasons. Please, let me explain.

First, is that in JRPGs, I always was looking forward to the final boss, mainly because of the epic battle accompanied by usually the best battle theme of the game. SaGaFrontier tops this by actually having 7 completely different final bosses, with 7 different final boss themes, and every single one just sounds amazing.

Second is the incredible versatility of the soundtrack. While when you listen to other great composers like Motoi Sakuraba or Masashi Hamauzu, you might like all their songs, but also realize that after a while they all sound the same. They all have the same feeling to them.
Kenji Ito, however, managed in SaGaFrontier to combine hundreds of different music styles. You have calm music, catchy music, fast music, loud music, epic music, everything. I have never seen another OST that was this versatile again. Not even Kenji Ito managed to do that in any other game he composed for ever again.

Third is how well the songs fit the situation. Of course because of the large versatility, it also allows you to have a suitable song for everything. No matter where you are in the game, you can just close your eyes and by the music alone you can tell where you are. Or even what kind of story it is! This makes the music so alive and fitting.

Fourth is the musical "timing". The music is not just composed and put as background music, no, it's actually composed in a way that it's pace fits exactly to what happens on the screen. A good example is the main battle theme, that has various "phases". One for the battle fade in, another one for the character jumping into the screen, another one for entering the commands and finally when the first round is actually played out, the last part of the theme starts playing, assuming you enter the commands at normal pace. You can really feel that Kenji Ito was very closely connected to the project. He might have even seen the game before composing these things, there's no way he could have timed this so well otherwise. Either that or the game was actually designed around his songs.

All of this put together makes SaGaFrontier's OST an absolute masterpiece, that no other soundtrack has ever managed to reach. Not even close. Even my #2 is miles away from reaching it.

Apart from the final boss themes, my favorite song is "Despair" by the way: Despair
Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#44 — Xenoblade Chronicles
88 points • 4 mentions • Highest rank: #1 (conchobhar)

Featured Track:
Gaur Plains

Satorl Marsh (Night)

Composed by:

Yoko Shimomura
ACE+ (Tomori Kudo, Hiroyo "CHiCO" Yamanaka, Kenji Hiramatsu)
Manami Kiyota
Yasunori Mitsuda

Platform: Nintendo Wii • Release date: June 10, 2010
Holy Crap, That Music!

Listening to Xenoblade, you'd have no idea that it's the product of six separate composers. Admittedly, duties were not split six ways, but still: for a collaboration of this scale to be so cohesive, so harmonious, is no mean feat.

For that, credit goes to Yoko Shimomura, whose primary role was to oversee and lead the project. The bulk of the music was composed by Manami Kioyta, who handled the area and event themes; and the ACE+ trio, who were tasked with the battle music. But this division wasn't absolute; Shimomura contributed eleven tracks (including three in collaboration with ACE+), ACE+ handled a number of environmental themes, and everyone had some role in event music. Yasunori Mitsuda provided only the ending song, "Beyond the Sky".

Though I called it "cohesive" above, don't confuse that for dull uniformity. On the contrary, Xenoblade is remarkably varied and features all sorts of different instruments, genres and moods. the gentle beauty of the piano opening, the metal-inspired battle music, the organic strings and woodwinds that grace Bionis, the sharp electronica that plays on Mechonis… Xenoblade does it all. The "cohesion" I speak of comes from a general sense of purpose that hangs over the album; each song fits where it belongs, and so the album can hang together.

One thing I really enjoy is how each field theme has a day and night version. It's not the seamless transition of a proper dynamic soundtrack, but in a way I prefer this. Being two separate tracks allows for a greater range of variation than simply changing tempo or instruments; some modify the melody, and others become new songs entirely. It shows just how much these composers cared about the music.

Tyrants near-unanimously selected "Gaur Plains as their favourite track; I was the sole dissenter, and that was only because of a coin flip! "Gaur Plains" is certainly Xenoblade's most famous song, and it's not hard to see why: it's upbeat, exciting, adventurous, epic, catchy, gorgeous, and just every positive adjective you can name, all in one package. The song is a veritable journey, with multiple distinct segments, anchored around crescendo of violins overtop a dance beat, and it works wonderfully; at no point does it feel fragmented.

But what makes it truly remarkable is the in-game context. "Gaur Plains" is played on Bionis' Leg, which is the second area of the game. Think about what the player has experienced to that point; most of their time will have been palling around in Colony 9. Colony 9 is a bit larger than one would expect an introductory area to be, but it's still fairly compact and straightforward. Plus, between the warm invite of "Hometown" and the gentle guitar of "Colony 9", the music is reassuring and comfortable. Afterwards, the player will have journeyed through Tephra Cave; a small cave system with an appropriately small backing track. Only then do they emerge onto Bionis' Leg, and the suddenly everything's changed. Bionis' Leg is a vast expanse, as far as the eye can see, with distinct and varied sections within and powerful roaming creatures. Moreover, this is the point where the game opens up, provides little guidance, and trusts the player to find their own way. And as this realization dawns, the player is treated to a brand new piece of music. Its soaring violins aren't just a bit of nice music; they're there to let you you know the game has really started.

It's a magical moment. And it's thanks to "Gaur Plains".

~ conchobhar
Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#43 — Super Mario Galaxy
91 points • 4 mentions • Highest rank: #10 (Beta Metroid)

Featured Track:
Gusty Garden Galaxy

Buoy Base

Composed by:

Mahito Yokota
Koji Kondo

Platform: Nintendo Wii • Release date: November 1, 2007
Stellar sound

Super Mario Galaxy's soundtrack won wide acclaim back in 2007, with critics and fans alike praising it as one of Nintendo's finest to date— if not the finest. So it was to my surprise to discover that it almost didn't happen at all.

Mahito Yokota had originally wanted to make a Latin-influenced soundtrack, with steel drums, bongos and congas— presumably inspired by Super Mario Sunshine— and even composed a couple dozen songs in this style. But Koji Kondo, the sound supervisor, rejected it out of hand, saying "if somewhere in your mind you have an image that Mario is cute, please get rid of it." Asked for a clarification, Kondo responded that "Mario is cool." Frustrated, and unsure of what to do, he prepared three songs for consideration: one with an orchestral sound, one with a pop sound, and one that was a mixture of the two. Miyamoto liked the orchestral sound, and so the new direction took shape.

This decision was a turning point. First, Miyamoto had selected the orchestral piece because it sounded "space-like", both freed Yokota of making "Mario music" but also provided a new (creator-approved!) musical direction: the vastness and wonder of space. Second, Yokota was most comfortable composing in an orchestral style, so it came naturally. Third, it meant Yokota could push for live musicians.

The importance of the live orchestra cannot be understated; it is the crux of the project, what pushed from being merely good to phenomenal. The lush strings, the commanding brass, the gentle flutes… it creates a sound that's so full, so grand, and unlike anything Mario's had before. And while it could have easily been overkill, here it perfectly suits the game; there's no better moment in Galaxy than soaring between the planetoids as the music hits your ears.

"Gusty Garden Galaxy" is the Tyrant pick, and the platonic ideal of the entire Galaxy soundtrack. The track opens slowly, with the strings taking the backseat to an oboe, before the oboe drops out and is replaced by a brass section for upmost effect. While some of Galaxy's music can fall flat outside the game, this one doesn't. That's why it's become a mainstay of the series, popping up not only in spin-offs and crossovers to represent Galaxy (such as Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4), but also in the main games when they just need something appropriately grand (Galaxy 2 and 3D World both use it for their final levels). "Gusty Garden Galaxy" is well on its way to entering the pantheon of classic Mario tunes… if it's not there already.

And all this because Koji Kondo has a strange view of Mario. "Cool"?

~ conchobhar
Old 09-12-2017, 01:11 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Default I'm going to triple post and you can't stop me

On a personal note, one thing I love about Xenoblade's soundtrack release is that the first two discs are purely event music, and the third and fourth are dedicated to field and battle music. It makes for much more tonally coherent listen, and gives the soundtrack a proper flow that I typically find lacking in RPG soundtrack releases. So kudos to whoever was in charge of the track sequencing.

Some more of my favourites:

Main Theme (Shimomura)
Mechonis Field (ACE+)
Colony 9 and Colony 9 (Night) (Shimomura, Shimomura and ACE+)
Unfinished Business (Shimomura)
Bionis' Interior (Pulse) (Kiyota)

Yoko Shimomura may have only contributed 11 songs, but she's by and away the star of this soundtrack.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Video Monster

Xenoblade and Mario Galaxy were both standout Wii titles that I totally missed during that console's lifecycle. To date, most of what I know of Xenoblade comes from Smash Bros. - and I believe the Gaur Plains music makes an appearance there.

The more I keep learning about these games, the more I'd like to play them someday.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Yeah, the Xenoblade OST definitely sounds good. Never really recognized that before, probably because I didn't like the game so much, but just listening to the linked themes, that's definitely top 50 material.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Out Of Warranty

Listening to Gaur Plains for the first time is Xenoblade is an unforgettable experience, for the reasons Conchobhar explained. Standing there, seeing the body of the Bionis in the distance, and realizing you can go anywhere you want if you just keep walking far enough.... At least until the colossal level 90 enemies wandering around beat you to a pulp

But yeah, Gaur Plains is an incredible track, the highlight of the entire soundtrack for me. One of my favorite songs ever.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Sudden chomper

Yeah, Super Mario Galaxy! In many ways, Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are two halves of a whole rather than distinct games. This is true for the soundtracks too, I would say, in that my favorite melodies are spread across both games. But Galaxy 1 introduced us to this new, sweeping style of Mario music, so it gets the nod. I believe I shouted out Good Egg Galaxy (AKA Egg Planet) as my choice, but obviously I can't say a word against Gusty Garden. It's the most inspiring piece of "adventure music" I've heard in decades.

As for Xenoblade, it definitely has some fantastic tracks. I didn't vote for it, though, because I don't actually listen to the soundtrack all that often. There are some wonderful songs on it, but it's a sprawling, four-disc collection and honestly there are only a handful of tracks that I come back to frequently. Still, Colony 9 and Guar Plains are undeniably great pieces of music.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:34 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
There are some wonderful songs on it, but it's a sprawling, four-disc collection
This is a big part of why I mentioned how much I like the track sequencing above; I almost exclusively stick to the third and fourth discs, which gives me everything I want and almost nothing I don't. Compared to, say, FF9, where my favourite tracks are spread across the entire thing.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Super Mario Galaxy has an ridiculously good soundtrack. Not one of my selections but I would have been quite comfortable with it ranking higher.

Shamefully, I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles. To add insult to injury, I bought Xenoblade Chronicles 3D back in Xmas 2015 and still haven't cracked the cellophane on it.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:58 PM
if-then-eels

I think the thing that most fascinates me about the move away from more open Latin influences in Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel is that it's still some of the closest that Mario has gotten to sounding like tracks off My Spanish Heart by Chick Corea.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:13 PM
-ryn

Super Mario Galaxy never really came to my mind as somewhere to look for good music. I played the game to as much completion as I'm capable of. Clearly I need to revisit the music. I really enjoyed listening to those pieces. Thanks to those who voted for it!

Xenoblade is not a game I'm familiar with, but I've heard that song in the youtube video covered a couple times. Its a good song for sure. I haven't gotten to the other tracks linked yet.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:14 PM
graffiti programmer

I'm frankly shocked that neither Super Mario Galaxy nor Xenoblade made it into my top 25, but seeing these two this low makes me feel a lot less confident that some of my own more idiosyncratic choices are going to make it up top. Especially considering that I can name at least 3 series I absolutely expect to be represented multiple times.

Xenoblade was my top game of 2012, and "Gaur Plains" is at least 30% of the reason why. Its timing in the game is absolutely perfect, like conchobhar noted - it feels like you're just beginning an unbelievably ambitious adventure.

Super Mario Galaxy, though, hoo boy - I forgot how thoroughly Gusty Garden Galaxy would give me goosebumps, and it did so again when I listened to it just now.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:22 PM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozacrot View Post
Xenoblade was my top game of 2012, and "Gaur Plains" is at least 30% of the reason why. Its timing in the game is absolutely perfect, like conchobhar noted - it feels like you're just beginning an unbelievably ambitious adventure.

Super Mario Galaxy, though, hoo boy - I forgot how thoroughly Gusty Garden Galaxy would give me goosebumps, and it did so again when I listened to it just now.
Yup. Hearing Gaur Plains in Xenoblade is absolutely a "wow" moment, and I think this soundtrack will be remembered for a long time.

The music of Mario Galaxy was also a ridiculously huge improvement over what they had previously, so I'm glad they took that route. The folks at Nintendo were making a lot of great decisions back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Xenoblade and Mario Galaxy were both standout Wii titles that I totally missed during that console's lifecycle.
I think they're both available on Wii U's e-shop if you have that?
Old 09-13-2017, 07:55 AM
Video Monster

Nope, I totally skipped the Wii U.

I don't own a Wii anymore either, but someday I may re-purchase one to experience some of these games I missed. Unless Nintendo ports them to Switch...
Old 09-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Out Of Warranty

#42 — Gitaroo Man
92 points • 4 mentions • Highest rank: #5 (Positronic Brain)

Featured track:
The Legendary Theme

Born To Be BoneTainted LoversBee'Jam Blues

Composed by:

COIL
Sadayoshi Okamoto
Tomohiro Harada
Masako Harada
Yosuke Sato
Andy MacKinlay

Platform: Playstation 2 • Release date: June 21, 2001
Doesn't get more J-Rock than this

I’m really glad this placed because this is one of the most unique and best rythm games out there, and it has a soundtrack to die for. Gitaroo Man was developed by INIS and Keichi Yano, of Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents fame. For this game he managed to recruit a bunch of very talented people, including the rock band COIL, to write a rocking, guitar-heavy score that was mean to be played with your volume dial at 11.

You play as U-1, a shy kid who learns from his talking dog - yes, I know - that he’s been chosen to wield a gitaroo, a magical musical instrument that transforms him into Gitaroo Man, a mighty warrior destined to restore the freedom of the people of planet Gravillian. But first, he must defeat the other gitaroo wielders who are in the lookout for him, and only by absorbing the power of their instruments into his gitaroo then he will be powerful enough to take on the evil Emperor Zowie.

Most of the game’s levels are battles with the other gitaroo wielders, which translates into most tracks being musical duels between a guitar - U-1’s gitaroo - against other instruments. Each duel has several phases - offensive ones that feature your guitar, defensive ones that feature your opponent’s instrument and a final phase that brings it all together. Every phase has different varied verses that can be played in different order (and a duel will most probably not play all of them before it’s over one way or the other) so every time you play the game you get a different experience. That is both extremely cool and extremely sad - the OST release, for obvious reasons, doesn’t feature all the possible iterations of each song, so each playthrough is unique but ephemeral.

And it’s a shame because every verse in every battle is so gooood…. This is a game where every track features a whole different genre with a melody that echoes the colorful characters the game introduces, like a trio of skeletons who use their own bones as xylophones (“Born To Be Bone”), a man dressed as a bee playing the blues in his trumpet (“Bee'Jam Blues”) and the infamous Gregorio Siegfried WIlhelm III, a bishonen warrior whose gitaroo is a cathedral (“Tainted Lovers”, and yes, that duel is as operatically out of this world as it sounds).

But the real highlight is the emotional climax of the game - our featured track, “The Legendary Theme”. Describing the duel would be a huge spoiler (although you are free to hear the song in its appropiate context if you don’t care for spoilers), but I can tell you it is an encore of a familiar theme that starts as a guitar solo and ends as an epic duet featuring two guitars riffing the same song in their own distinctive styles - which makes this song twice as rocking as every other song in the soundtrack.

I’d kill for a Gitaroo Man sequel (maybe with Rock Band guitar support? That’d be my dream game) but it looks like Koei doesn’t remember this game ever existed. That’s a crime. Rest well, Gitaroo Man, you were too cool for this world.

~ Positronic Brain
Old 09-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Out Of Warranty

#41 — ICO
96 points • 3 mentions • Highest rank: #1 (Mr Bean)

Featured Track:

Coffin

HealICO -You Were There-

Composed by:

Michiru Oshima
pentagon (Koichi Yamazaki, Mitsukuni Murayama)

Platform: Playstation 2 • Release date: September 24, 2001
Ambient 5: Music for Castles

Brian Eno once said that ambient music "must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention … it must be as ignorable as it is interesting." ICO is a perfect example of this in action; because ICO works on multiple levels.

The first level is in the game itself. Here, ICO's music is a key component to the game. It most prominently features in cutscenes, and since our leads don't say much, and certainly not to each other, it's up to the music to provide the emotion of a scene. This is mostly clearly done in the two-part introduction of Yorda. "Impression" plays when Ico first finds her, trapped in a cage suspended in the air, and the track suggests interest, wonder and hope. Upon freeing her and seeing her clearly for the first time, the track is reprised with "Who Are You?"— a more ethereal and suspicious take, to match Yorda's angelic appearance and Ico's unease. Outside of cutscenes, however, a player won't be hearing it much: aside from the battle theme ("Darkness") and the save theme ("Heal"), the game prefers to use natural background noise. A player will likely come away thinking that the music was important for establishing the game's atmosphere, mood and emotion, but otherwise give it no special attention. That is, of course, the goal of an ambient soundtrack— to seamlessly integrate into the world— and so is actually praise.

But then, when listened to outside the game, on its own merits… it becomes something else entirely. Hearing it with undivided attention lets the compositions shine, with details becoming newly apparent and leitmotifs revealing themselves. Despite a muted presentation in-game, it works incredibly well at high volumes: it can convincingly "fill a room", enveloping the listener in a mist of sound. And while it loses the context provided by the game, it gains a brand new context afforded by the songs coming one after the other; it transforms from a score into an album.

There was no consensus on the best track, but I've chosen to highlight the "Coffin", because I feel it encompasses a lot of what I talked about above. The piece is first heard at the beginning of the game, when the soldiers bring Ico into the great hall, entombing him in a stone receptacle (see here for the cutscene); for that, it is appropriately mysterious, foreboding and dark. Yet listening to it on its own, a listener will discover new aspects: a variety of background noises, ranging from a chilling scraping sound, to crunches and a thudding echo. In-game, these noises are likely to be chalked up to sound effects running over the music, or just subconsciously filtered out… but hearing them as indisputably part of the music gives the track a new, more sinister edge. Losing its visual component in no way diminishes the track.

Still, I'd be remiss if I didn't briefly go over the other two as well. "Heal", as mentioned earlier, is the song that plays as one saves the game; since that's presented as Ico and Yorda drifting to sleep on a couch, it's fitting that this track is as cozy as a warm blanket. "You Were There" is the ending song, and it's a proper song, with vocals (a boy soprano, giving it a unique feel) and everything!. Though I think it lacks the emotive punch outside the game, hearing it in album format is what made me notice it's something of a medley of earlier tracks.

"Ignorable as it is interesting". That's ICO to a T. It may be the best ambient soundtrack in any video game.

~ conchobhar
Old 09-13-2017, 01:52 PM

ICO's a game that I knew making my list that I left off and I still can't give a good reason as to why it didn't make it. Maybe my excuse was just that the sound design of the game is way beyond just the soundtrack. idk. It's most definitely a marvel of ambient music in gaming though.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:00 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Yes, yes, ICO! I've said before that ICO was very important to me, and its soundtrack is no different. Even though it wasn't my #1 (in fact, it was 'only' my #9… which was actually the lowest vote for it…), I value it immensely. I bought the soundtrack— the first and currently only video game CD I've bought— more or less on a whim, just happy to own some additional ICO merch. Instead, I fell in love with it, and it's had a profound impact on my musical taste. My love of ambient music goes back to this very album.

Gitaroo Man I'm not familiar with, but I'm really enjoying the songs linked. Major shame Gitaroo Man wasn't in Warriors All-Stars.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:10 PM
It's all good, man

Weird to see it here because much of the gameplay is defined in my brain by the lack of music.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:27 PM
Not a Beer

I snuck Gitaroo Man on the very end of my list, vying with another semi-obscure music game that may or may not yet show up, and foregoing my usual "joke" entry because I just couldn't spare the space. Anyway, as Positronic said, it has a great collection of diverse tracks spanning from straight j-rock over to stuff like blues and drum'n'bass. Another fave that wasn't listed so far is the opening, Soft Machine, a super cheerful vocal track by COIL.

My shame is I don't think I've actually beaten the game despite playing it a lot. My thumbs would always get sweaty halfway through Tainted Lovers...

I didn't have ICO listed I think only because the music seemed so sparse in my memory, but I definitely like what's there. And some folks have also run with the few themes and produced some great and sometimes off the wall remixes, like Save Me by SGX and Icon by Binster

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , pronounced "eece" , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation