The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 04-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

I fear for Dorohedoro's adaptation. I've already made my peace with works like JoJo where there's a lot to enjoy with the manga while the anime consistently doesn't capture what I like about it... but there's always new trepidation around the corner.

Last edited by Peklo; 04-06-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:12 AM
hidden in snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
I guess what I'm really asking is: how's that new translation?
I don’t have reference for the older translation, but the one on Comixology is good. A reminder that all issues are included in a digital subscription, so you can read the entire run in the free 30 days if you want.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:17 PM
poisonous thread snake

Pronouns: un-/non-/it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
I fear for Dorohedoro's adaptation. I've already made my peace with works like JoJo where there's a lot to enjoy with the manga while the anime consistently doesn't capture what I like about it... but there's always new trepidation around the corner.
Same. I feel the same way about the HxH adaptations. Both series' appeal, to me, is largely carried over by elements of the drawing that are difficult to capture in animation.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:43 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post

Like imagine someone getting themselves hyped up, "Berserk is such an amazing manga, the last show was good, I don't see how the anime wouldn't be awesome!"

I dunno, the balls to do that is, in a perverse way, very awesome.
"What if an extremely popular manga known for its amazing art looked like Rapsittie Street Kids: Believe in Santa?" I mean, it probably means it will be a while before anyone tries again, but still.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:54 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
So the Battle Angel Alita movie came out this year, which reminded me that I'd like to go back and finish reading the manga. I had only read the first TPB volume of the Viz-published original Alita series back in 2004, and I remember enjoying it, but for whatever reason I never scooped up the rest of the TPB volumes when they were still in print. While I'm interested in owning physical copies of the rest of the volumes, I'm undecided about the best way to go about that because apparently there's been multiple versions of the Alita manga published over the last few decades.

It looks like Viz alone published at least two or three versions of the original Alita series in English. The first Viz run circa 1995 flips the art so it reads left-to-right, but my Viz Battle Angel Alita Vol 1 from '04 reads right-to-left. Then there's the new Kodansha-published "deluxe" hardcover volumes starting in 2017, which look nice and have a new translation but are fairly pricey. Of course the Viz volumes have been out of print for over a decade now, so they're not exactly cheap these days either.

I guess what I'm really asking is: how's that new translation?
I flipped through one of the new volumes and found the translation lifeless compared to the original. It's not wildly different, just rephrased to be flatter. This line stuck out to me as an example of the changes made:

Original: "And a toast...to the man become god."
2017: "And a toast...to the man who became a god."

They also reverted all the localized names and terminology to their Japanese equivalents except for Alita, which feels half-assed whether you like the change or not.

My advice is to track down the old Viz graphic novels if you possibly can. Not only is the writing better, but the number of chapters per volume was changed so each one contains a complete arc (except the Motorball arc, which stretches to two volumes) and feels that much more satisfying to finish. Every reprint has reverted to the Japanese format of ending a volume just as a new story has started so you feel compelled to buy the next one.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:35 PM
Will get there eventually

Monkey Punch has passed away at the age of 81.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:32 PM
King Of Space-Time

Oof.

Damn.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:12 PM

Lived to a ripe old age of 82.

I mentioned this previously over in the anime thread, since I assume most people's exposure to his works is through anime. But his comics themselves are wild and worth a read. Early Lupin III is crazy and violent and sexy and weird and I love it. His later Lupin comics bend into comedic absurdity following the tone of the shows, but that early stuff just left a psychic imprint on my brain and what will always be the baseline I'll always measure Lupin up against.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:41 PM
d.o_o.b

Kazuo Koike died.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:51 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Damn. I've only read a little less than half of Lone Wolf and Cub but it is one of my favourites.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:49 AM
poisonous thread snake

Pronouns: un-/non-/it

Not to disrespect the dead, but Ive actually been doing a dive into Lone Wolf and Cub lately and man, once the guns and steel-bottomed baby cart are introduced, the quality of the stories falls off a fucking cliff. So stupid.

Tags
ウエアブー , comics , derision , don't read anime , don't watch anime , fear of new threads , maagn , magma , magna , manga , manganese , mangos , powerful monster gf , recommendations