The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-11-2009, 02:56 AM
We just don't know.

Definitely Mushishi and Gurren-Lagann and Honey and Clover.

Also I dunno how far back you went but the season after Azumanga came up with another of my favorite shows ever, Haibane Renmei - which I'm obligated to mention whenever recommendation time comes up. Then shortly after that was Last Exile, which I love but I know gets a wide range of reception from people.

Also this is unrelated except to general anime discussion so I'll save it for that thr-
- So I tried watching Flag on Bungle's recommendation and disliked it strongly. It struck me as being trite and cliched - and all the more egregiously so for how fresh and new it thought it was being. Also the production values were awful - there wasn't a single thing about the mechanics of the show that appealed to me in the slightest. I had to stop after 5 episodes. D:
Old 12-11-2009, 02:58 AM
The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
Kino's Journey! I told you I would forget things! Lots of people whose opinions I trust have recommended this series. I have not seen it, to my continuing shame, but I have seen Allison & Lillia, which was based on work by the same author, and I liked that quite a bit.
what

Stop what you're doing right now and watch Kino's Journey.

And I'll go watch Allison & Lillia, since I didn't realize it was by the same author. Then we can compare notes!
Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Banned

I will!

A warning: half of my notes will be about ponies. This is true of all notes that I take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
So I tried watching Flag on Bungle's recommendation and disliked it strongly.
You are the yin to my yang, Paul.

Or whichever way that goes.

Haibane Renmei is a great recommendation though! I had it in mind but neglected to put it on the list for some reason. I've never seen Last Exile but it has always struck me as something I would enjoy.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:22 AM
The Great

I assume the other half of your notes is going to be about Hermes, because a talking motorcycle is like a pony. And he's the best talking motorcycle since Heat Vision.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
It has lots of talking heads though! Be prepared for infodumps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bungle could have just wrote
It's Ghost in the Shell
Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Curious Young Gent

Haibane Renmei and Kino's Journey are both also excellent.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 AM
grab me some popcorn

Quote:
Also I dunno how far back you went but the season after Azumanga came up with another of my favorite shows ever, Haibane Renmei - which I'm obligated to mention whenever recommendation time comes up. Then shortly after that was Last Exile, which I love but I know gets a wide range of reception from people.
Now it's time for my obligatory now I feel old post. Both are from when I just started seriously following anime/fansubs.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Not a Beer

Dude, you are not allowed to feel old if you started wacthing anime with Last Exile. Those of us who started with Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, and Bubblegum Crisis, we can feel old.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:08 AM
grab me some popcorn

If we wanna get technical about it I started watching anime with Saint Seiya except it was dubbed in Chinese and I didn't know it was anime at the time so I don't count it.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Dude, you are not allowed to feel old if you started wacthing anime with Last Exile. Those of us who started with Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, and Bubblegum Crisis, we can feel old.

Don't forget the Dirty Pair, or Maison Ikkoku!

Man, anime has changed a lot in the last 20 years. At least Bubblegum Crisis is still as awesome today as it was then!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
If we wanna get technical about it I started watching anime with Saint Seiya except it was dubbed in Chinese and I didn't know it was anime at the time so I don't count it.
By both those standards, the first one I watched was either Minky Momo or Lalabel (Mexico was BIG on magical-girl shows in the early '80s,) and the first one I sought out on my own, and acknowledged as anime was Ranma.

And THAT ended nearly 14 years ago. OOOOOOOLD!

One of these days, I'll watch Dirty Pair and BGC.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Not a Beer

Yeah, stuff that we totally didn't know was anime, like Voltron and Star Blazers, totally doesn't count. .... Wait, no on second thought, I guess it does, because if you were watching those on TV you're probably old like us codgers anyway. Unless they replayed them later than the 80s...
Old 12-11-2009, 11:38 AM
grab me some popcorn

The first one I acknowledged as anime was My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, or Only Yesterday and that was a Taiwanese release in Japanese (kinda hard not to tell because of that) with Chinese subtitles.

And the first fansubs I sought was Sailor Stars VHS fansubs but that was many years after it had aired.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM
It's all good, man

I'm surprised how many of you guys think Black Lagoon is good.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I'm surprised how many of you guys think Black Lagoon is good.
It's an 80s/90s Hong Kong heroic gunplay movie in anime form. I'm not a fan of a lot of the sillier stuff (Maids, Vampire-esque twins), but in the shorter, humbler parts (and the big gang stuff) it excels.
But I mean, at the end of the day, it basically is still just one of those Hong Kong action films. There's a Chow Yun Fat character in it!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:58 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
It's an 80s/90s Hong Kong heroic gunplay movie in anime form. I'm not a fan of a lot of the sillier stuff (Maids, Vampire-esque twins), but in the shorter, humbler parts (and the big gang stuff) it excels.
But I mean, at the end of the day, it basically is still just one of those Hong Kong action films. There's a Chow Yun Fat character in it!
I mean, it's fine, and fairly entertaining at times. But if someone hasn't watched much of anything since Bebop, it's pretty far down the list of recommendations.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Curious Young Gent

Nah, it's good at what it does. It's also fairly general interest, so it's an easy thing to recommend to someone whose tastes you don't really know much about.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM
grab me some popcorn

First season of Black Lagoon >>>>>>>>> second season of Black Lagoon. Roberta just has a character design that is silly. The lady herself is deadly serious. The vampire twins are just stupid anyway you look at 'em.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
Roberta just has a character design that is silly. The lady herself is deadly serious.
It was more that the bullet-dodging stuff was taken beyond even my level of toleration upon her arrival. A scene where she's just standing there as a room full of people fire at her, as I recall. Just seemed to break with the pretend realism they had going up 'till then.
The best bit about the vampire twins is the no-nonsense conclusion. It's like they knew it was silly and just reined it right back in.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Yeah, stuff that we totally didn't know was anime, like Voltron and Star Blazers, totally doesn't count. .... Wait, no on second thought, I guess it does, because if you were watching those on TV you're probably old like us codgers anyway. Unless they replayed them later than the 80s...
Yeah, Voltron was the first anime series I saw, though I didn't know it as such at the time*. The first time I saw something that I knew was anime, it was Akira, probably in 1992 or 1993.

Around seventeen years ago.

Aaaaghhhh!

*Never mind the fact that all the cartoons we saw in the 80s were animated in Japan anyway.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Curious Young Gent

I think The Moomins was the first unknown anime I watched. Then Pokemon et al. Can't remember which came first, but my first knowing anime is one of either Trigun, Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
The Great

Pokemon was the first show I saw that I was actually aware was Japanese, I think. I didn't really watch TV much as a kid.

But the first thing that I encountered that I was aware was Japanese was Gon. Clearly I had the best possible introduction to the country.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
It was more that the bullet-dodging stuff was taken beyond even my level of toleration upon her arrival. A scene where she's just standing there as a room full of people fire at her, as I recall. Just seemed to break with the pretend realism they had going up 'till then.
This is exactly my gripe with Black Lagoon, mostly in the second season. I was actually still willing to sit back and relax at the Roberta bar scene (hey, her suitcase is bulletproof or something), but at the docks I lost my willingness to go along with it. It's like they are compelled to put an "epic" gunfight there but aren't willing to let either character be seriously hit.

If you want to make a fight when it isn't conventionally believable then either don't show most of it or give a reason to think that one side has an advantage over the other. Even in wildly unrealistic settings I still want at bare minimum "he has a strong aura, the other guy is just some chump" (and hopefully something more interesting). Without explanations fights feel like they aren't following any logic other than what the writer needs to outcome to be.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Haibane Renmei
for when you want to kill yourself, but need a little something extra to push you over the sadness edge!

Quote:
Last Exile
steampunk podracing = awesome
everything else = not awesome
too much everything else = last exile is not awesome >=(

Also, Bungle didn't mention Beck, which proves you should never listen to Bungle.

Last edited by nunix; 12-11-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: i was made to hit in america
Old 12-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Banned

I said I would forget things!

Truth be told, I actually only watched a few episodes of Beck before deciding that I should wait until it was done so I could watch it all at once. Then I never got back to it because I had so many other things to watch. That happens sometimes. I'm sure it's good, though, because Osamu Kobayashi is a very talented director. Fans of Nana should check out his adaptation of Paradise Kiss, which is good stuff.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I said I would forget things!

Truth be told, I actually only watched a few episodes of Beck before deciding that I should wait until it was done so I could watch it all at once. Then I never got back to it because I had so many other things to watch. That happens sometimes. I'm sure it's good, though, because Osamu Kobayashi is a very talented director.
I don't watch anime anymore, and I rarely re-watch stuff, but Bungle, you are missing out. Fair warning that the series ends cliffhanger-ish, though, and you might want to read the manga in addition to just watching the series.

However, no one should (re)watch Twelve Kingdoms/Juuni Kokuki. Fantastic setting marred by endlessly whiny main characters. Yes! It's a series about finding your place in society and accepting responsibility! It'd be awesome if you could get to that a little faster because everything BEFORE that is fucking tedious.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Banned

With the winter season looking so slow, I can probably make time to watch both Beck and Kino's Journey over the next couple of months. I actually have a pretty long list of things I need to see that have to be squeezed onto my watch list at some point or another.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I say thee neigh

So now that Funimation's website seems to be a tad more stable I've been watching more Darker then Black...am I correct in assuming that this show is basically a slightly more serious Read or Die? It doesn't turn crappy like the ROD franchise did, does it?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:07 PM
The Great

I only ever saw the last half of the ROD OVA back when it showed up on Cartoon Network for the first time forever ago, so I don't really know how true the comparison holds.

It drops the two episode story arc thing it has going near the end of the first season, and it doesn't really end with much closure, but the action is pretty boss throughout and the contractor abilities and renumerations are generally always fun.

The second season doesn't do the two episode arcs at all, and the introduction of a 13 year old girl as one of the new main characters makes for some uncomfortable moments, but the stuff about the action and contractors above is still true here too.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:00 AM
who's she

I remember Last Exile from TechTV. It was boring. (See also: Crest of the Stars)

I apologize for being so cranky in this thread.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road