The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-25-2009, 08:03 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

Default Twin Peaks

So I just started watching this show. It's pretty good!
Old 09-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Space dad

We got partway into the second season, then lost momentum after [SPOILER]. Really should go back and finish it.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 PM

It's just so goddamn bizzare. I was expecting a lot more, I don't know, creepy/freaky/paranormal/psychological things going on, and it just turns out that everybody's sleeping with everybody else, and there's a really crazy chick who's also pretty good looking. But I have to keep watching.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Inscaper

Wait till episode three.

Also there's a fish in the percolator!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 PM

Pu gnimoc eb dluohs smaerd drawkcab eht eveileb I.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Inscaper

edosipe eerht srepooC maerd! tahT mug eh sekil lliw emoc kcab ni elyts!
Old 09-25-2009, 11:39 PM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Spoiler: Season 2 kind of sucks, except for the deliriously awesome last episode.

However the first season of Twin Peaks is some of my favorite TV ever, right up there with The Prisoner. Watch out for David Duchovny in what's his best role ever.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Banned

I'm a pretty big Twin Peaks fanboy and there are large parts of Season 2 I can't watch. Windom Earle was botched horribly.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Iconoclasm is played out

I started watching Twin Peaks over five years ago, and due to a variety of circumstances I'm finally almost done. I hope the ending is worth it!

I'm also fortunate enough to live near the Snoqualmie/North Bend area where they filmed the pilot, so I've visited some of the areas featured in the show. The cherry pie at the "RR" (Twede's Cafe in actual fact) actually is that good.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:56 PM
Inscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I'm a pretty big Twin Peaks fanboy and there are large parts of Season 2 I can't watch. Windom Earle was botched horribly.
I know right?

The worst part about him is he had the opportunity to be fucking horrifying. The build up to his character was great. Someone with all the talents of Dale Cooper who had gone completely fucking insane.

Anyone else read the articles when the AV Club rewatched the series awhile ago? One of the best hits they made was when they pointed out that Earle was a dead ringer for Dana Carvey in Master Of Disguise.

In all fairness though Season 2 does have a few stellar episodes. There's just a bunch of crap inbetween.

Also am I the only one who thinks Fire Walk With Me is a great movie? ... Thought so...
Old 09-26-2009, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
Anyone else read the articles when the AV Club rewatched the series awhile ago? One of the best hits they made was when they pointed out that Earle was a dead ringer for Dana Carvey in Master Of Disguise.
Hahahaha. The Earle thing is so weird -- the guy was definitely capable of acting better (as when they show that old army interview footage and he plays Earle completely different, more disturbed and shaken) and they set up that whole Brides of Windom Earle plot just to suddenly drop it, even though they clearly didn't have any better ideas in the pile.

Quote:
In all fairness though Season 2 does have a few stellar episodes. There's just a bunch of crap inbetween.
Season 2 has some of my favorite episodes, but the second half suffers badly from an influx of Lynch's bad ideas of TV humor (check out On the Air sometime, it's the same stuff as the Season 2 "comedy" bits) as well as the jettisoning of planned storylines due to the stars being uncooperative jerks. Still, given the resources and talent involved, it's hard to see why it came out so badly. If you skip everything from Leland dying to the last episode, you're not missing much.

The last episode is wonderfully successful as a dramatic composition, as well as a "Hideki Anno-giving-the-middle-finger-to-everybody" mind-screwing series immolation. It's possibly the most twisted and angry thing ever broadcast on American network TV.

Quote:
Also am I the only one who thinks Fire Walk With Me is a great movie? ... Thought so...
I watch Fire Walk With Me like ten times a year. Probably my favorite Lynch movie. I lost my DVD when I moved from Atlanta, and I'm not sure if I want to pick up a new one or wait for the (hopefully crammed with extras) Blu-Ray.

Here's a blog by the guy who used to run the Twin Peaks fanzine. It's got tons of supplemental FWWM info. There's also this enlightening script to screen analysis at Dugpa. Both have tons of insight on Lynch's creative process during the production of FWWM.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:34 AM
Banned

Don't undersell it; After the big THING happens, Season 2 poisons the well hardcore, systematically inverting everything good about the show with bland hamminess. It is so long and so bad.

The last episode is pretty good, up until the too-obvious joke that dumps a final curtain over the whole mess.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:50 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
I love Fire Walk With me, and the links between it and the last episode of season 2 are the only thing that makes the post-shark jump half of season 2 worth watching.

It's pretty obvious that Lynch pretty much quick caring about the TV show after they made him do what they made him do, but when it was canceled he came back to clean up the mess, as can be seen in the gap in quality between the Lynch directed final episode and Fire Walk with Me versus the rest of the terrible latter half of the second season.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:20 AM
King Of Space-Time

I remember trying to watch an episode of Twin Peaks and wondering what the HELL was going on. Then Kyle MacLachlan did that episode of SNL with the parody sketch. Whole thing was just as confusing but the tone of self-awareness made it funny.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:23 AM

Just finished episode 2, and there's the freaky what the fuck shit I was looking for.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Inscaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
I remember trying to watch an episode of Twin Peaks and wondering what the HELL was going on. Then Kyle MacLachlan did that episode of SNL with the parody sketch. Whole thing was just as confusing but the tone of self-awareness made it funny.
The Simpsons did a pretty great parody on Who Shot Mister Burns?

"BURN'S SUIT! BURN'S SUIT!"

Also the shot of the man dancing with a horse under a streetlight in a different episode.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Just bear with me

ABC released a mini-series called Wild Palms (I think that was the title, anyway) from the same creative team. I remember that the plot revolved around virtual reality, and that one of the characters killed another by crawling inside his mouth. Fuhreeeky!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:36 PM
A No.1

Yeah, I watched this last December. I actually haven't seen all of it - the later half of Season 2 was so bad that I ended up skipping two or three episodes before the last one, because I knew the last was supposed to be good and I simply wouldn't have made it if I hadn't done that.

But yeah, Season 1 is totally great, and this show basically invented the serial mystery thing; everything from Lost to Veronica Mars owes it that much.

Also worth mentioning: the music is pretty grand.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Inscaper

Word.

Angelo Baldementi always brings it.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Banned

The series and FWWM soundtracks are required listening.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:18 AM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

I saw Season 1 a few years ago. Still have to get around to watching Season 2, but I'm a bit hesitant based on what I've read/heard. Hopefully the supposed jumping-of-the-shark won't sour the whole experience for me. I really did like what I saw of the series so far.

Now Laura Palmer's theme is in my head.
Old 09-27-2009, 02:34 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggumbeard View Post
I saw Season 1 a few years ago. Still have to get around to watching Season 2, but I'm a bit hesitant based on what I've read/heard. Hopefully the supposed jumping-of-the-shark won't sour the whole experience for me.
Luckily, in the final episode, Lynch basically takes a sledgehammer to a lot of the horrible decisions in the latter half of the second season that just didn't make sense either thematically or tonally. Then, after destroying everything that was horrible, he proceeds to give you raw awesome.

In some ways it's worth watching the latter half of the second season just to set up Lynch's thorough rejection of all that went wrong in it.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:39 PM

I just finished season 1. It was great.

You know what? I think that I should help David Lynch do a reimagining of Twin Peaks, ala Battlestar. Just, you know, because it'd be cool.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:43 PM
A No.1

But...it doesn't need to be reimagined. At least, not where you are.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Inscaper

Yeah Twin Peaks has always seemed shocking modern to me.

Even the haircuts and clothes aren't bad since Lynch used his fifties fetish to model them.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:35 PM

Thirty minutes into season 2 and I'm wondering what just happened between the time I took out the previous disc and put in this one. Did the suits get a hold of Twin Peaks and decide that they needed to change everything?

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to watch it all, probably by the end of this week, but I'm just not sure what exactly is going on with the style of the show.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Honestly, the first half of Season 2 is still pretty great compared to the atrocious second half. (Except for the final episode, which is amazing.)
Old 09-28-2009, 06:43 PM

The part with Andy after he hits his nose on the wooden plank went on for entirely too long, and now I'm wondering why Donna and Mattie are all acting stupid weird.

ARE THE GLASSES HAUNTED?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:45 PM

But I will say that Audrey Horne is fucking hot.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Inscaper

Brother you ain't kidding.

Tags
gravity falls for adults , illseeyouagainin25years , it is happening again