The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-13-2017, 01:01 AM
i musnt run away

Also I think after Season 2 strongly played up the "Rick=God" aspect of the show, this season is more thematically focused on bringing him back down to human, while at the same time showing the other family members (sans Jerry of course) beginning to follow in his footsteps.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 AM
Banned

This episode made me wish Doctor Who (one of the show's top influences) had the Master run for Lord President of Gallifrey.

I hope Slick is still alive. He was one of the good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
Also I think after Season 2 strongly played up the "Rick=God" aspect of the show, this season is more thematically focused on bringing him back down to human, while at the same time showing the other family members (sans Jerry of course) beginning to follow in his footsteps.
Considering that Jerry conspired to murder Rick, we can include him with the rest of the family in following in Rick's footsteps.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:24 PM

The Master already did become president of a whole planet full of himselves, which is about as spot on a thing as you could ask for in this comparison, isn't it?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:31 AM
Banned

Those are bits from two different storylines, and anyway it is analogous to Evil Morty being in charge of the Citadel instead of a measly Earth.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Gesundheit!

I love this show when it's hyper-creative, much less so when the characters just run around slaughtering everything in sight. I just watched this season's premiere, and it was very much in the latter vein. It doesn't offend my sensibilities or anything — it's just boring and tedious. Does the rest of the season get back to the clever bits?
Old 09-16-2017, 03:19 PM
New Video World is out!

They do both, sadly. I think it's some sort of Adult Swim mandate that everything ultimately devolve into a witless gorefest.

This has been an excellent season though - none of the malaise of the second half of season 2 where they just went ham on the gore. Maybe skip Pickle Rick because a huge chunk of it is just murder. The rest should be okay?
Old 09-16-2017, 04:38 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I've been seeing some interpretations of last week's episode as some kind of libertarian political statement and I'm really not seeing that at all. Like, someone was saying the twist of Evil Morty was a denouncement of Liberals and thus the whole episode was an exercise in "both sides do it-ism" and I think you'd have to really stretch to come up with that.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:53 PM
BAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Maybe skip Pickle Rick because a huge chunk of it is just murder. The rest should be okay?
Maybe watch the last 5 minutes of Pickle Rick, it has Rick at the psychiatrist's office. And Concerto, but that falls under murder.
But he's Concerto!

Last edited by Ghost from Spelunker; 09-16-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 PM

This week's episode was much better than the typical interdimensional TV episode, by merit of actually having a plot and character development. Of course, keeping in line with the season's theme, I walk away from this episode feeling more strongly than ever that Rick & Morty are irredeemably awful people. I gotta wonder we're building up to a season finale where they kill themselves or something for the greater good, because their net-impact on all of reality very bad. I did however laugh super hard at the squirrels moment.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:59 PM
We just don't know.

The resolution moment at the end was pretty great.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:21 PM
Tell me about your mother

Still processing this episode, but I think it might have been the darkest yet (I realize we say that every week, but damn). And this is a season that opened with the destruction of two entire galactic/interdimensional civilizations.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:36 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"Worse, you're smart"?

Okay, that bit right there was bullshit. Beth being basically a nhilistic sociopath isn't PROOF she's a super genius. It just means she's a nhilistic sociopath.

Being an asshole doesn't mean the world isn't on your level, it just means you're an asshole.

This show just said to every asshole, "HEY ASSHOLES, YOU BEING AN ASSHOLE JUST MEANS YOU'RE BETTER THAN EVERYONE!" Which is, of course, what all assholes already believe about themselves.

Great job, show.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:57 AM

Yeah, Rick's clunky nihilistic/elitist rants are always my least favorite parts of this show. The show's been pretty upfront about how he's a horrible person and not someone you should want to emulate, but I feel like much of that is lost on certain segments of the fanbase (to be fair, this is a problem with every fanbase).
Old 09-26-2017, 11:28 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
This show just said to every asshole, "HEY ASSHOLES, YOU BEING AN ASSHOLE JUST MEANS YOU'RE BETTER THAN EVERYONE!" Which is, of course, what all assholes already believe about themselves.
Remember the show is created by two dudes that think that about themselves to begin with.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:16 PM
Safe Space

The AV Club had an article about that recently.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Banned

I'm curious how that episode got rated TV-14. I'm not sure that is the correct rating.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Serial Thread Killer

"A pink, sentient, switchblade."
Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 AM
i musnt run away

Rick and Morty are not role models. They're not even human; they're cartoons. Some of the things they do would cause a person to get hurt, expelled, arrested, possibly deported. To put it another way, DON'T try this at home
Old 09-28-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
Rick and Morty are not role models. ...DON'T try this at home
Unfortunately, a large chunk of the internet doesn't live in reality, and I'd guess probably heavily identifies with these misanthropic characters that quite literally don't live in reality.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Unfortunately, a large chunk of the internet doesn't live in reality, and I'd guess probably heavily identifies with these misanthropic characters that quite literally don't live in reality.
I hope they don't start wearing AC/DC t-shirts and try to score all the time.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:58 PM
i musnt run away

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
What else is new? The fear that evil media corrupts the minds of our supposedly monkey-see-monkey-do population is a drum that pearl clutchers have been banging for decades, if not centuries.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 PM
New Video World is out!

A+ season.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:43 PM
More than two problems

I pine for the days of the Keith David administration. At least he takes the time to actually do his fucking job.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:09 AM
i musnt run away

Probably the best season finale yet.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:05 AM

Yep, that was a fun finale. Things kinda revert to the status quo with Beth and Jerry getting back together, but the family dynamics between Beth-Jerry-Rick have changed just enough that it feels like actual development.

Of course, they may blow it all up at the beginning of next season, just like they did this season. Who knows!
Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 AM

Of all the shows I've watched this year I think Rick and Morty might have the least respect for the intelligence of its audience? I mean, on the one hand it demands the viewer be culturally literate, but the show seems very pleased when it gets to condescend to the viewer. The current go-to example is the denouement chat in the ABCs of Beth.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:37 PM

Agreed, which is why it's so baffling that it's grown this cringy fanbase of people who think it's too smart for anyone but them to get it.

Also there really wasn't much at all to that finale beyond just giving Keith David a giant pile of ridiculous posturing dialog.

I should clarify that the above observation is, in absolutely no way, a complaint.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:21 AM
i musnt run away

It was just nice to have a fun A-plot that was essentially a break up story backed up by a B-plot that pretty much immediately dismantled what we thought was gonna be the next big vague existential question in the background. And it didn't end on a depressing cliffhanger which is always a bonus.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 AM
New Video World is out!

Honestly, if the next season can be as good as that I'll be on board. I feel like they finally nailed the promise of the first season and overcame the mopey shit and meaningless ultraviolence I strongly disliked from the back half of season two.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:42 AM
It's all good, man

Overall a strong season in my book. It's troubling how many people seem to see Rick as a role model, but well... our culture has problems that a cartoon can't solve.

I liked this season's more experimental episodes, but if they're not joking about returning to more of a season 1 vibe next time, I wouldn't mind it.

Tags
ball fondlers , doc and marty , grass tastes bad , my time here is ogre , nevernude , turbulent juice , two brothers