The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Unreliable Narrator

I was just commenting the other day to a coworker about how the sonic screwdriver has quickly morphed into a magic wand. My kids were watching Season 3 and the Doctor's walking through the dark, holding the screwdriver up to provide illumination, just like Harry Potter's wand or Gandalf's staff.

I told another coworker new to Who, "In the old days, it just vibrated stuff! You could see actual screws working themselves loose!" Even then it evolved into a magic garage door opener. In old Who they'd pad out the 4-parter with the Doctor slowly repairing the ship engines or cobbling together a force field generator using the screwdriver as a tool; now that we get compressed 45 minute episodes, having the screwdriver just making things work saves time.

The psychic paper hardly gets used anymore. I keep thinking it got destroyed or something but then it shows up again.

Last edited by Grignr; 05-04-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by O..O~ View Post
Where is this star wars talk coming from? He said star trek in the article, STAR TREK.
I can read, fool. I was just giving another example of a franchise with sci-fi trappings that isn't really sci-fi.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:42 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
I was just commenting the other day to a coworker about how the sonic screwdriver has quickly morphed into a magic wand. My kids were watching Season 3 and the Doctor's walking through the dark, holding the screwdriver up to provide illumination, just like Harry Potter's wand or Gandalf's staff.

I told another coworker new to Who, "In the old days, it just vibrated stuff! You could see actual screws working themselves loose!" Even then it evolved into a magic garage door opener. In old Who they'd pad out the 4-parter with the Doctor slowly repairing the ship engines or cobbling together a force field generator using the screwdriver as a tool; now that we get compressed 45 minute episodes, having the screwdriver just making things work saves time.

The psychic paper hardly gets used anymore. I keep thinking it got destroyed or something but then it shows up again.
I go back-and-forth on the screwdriver, but the main reason they keep it around, in addition to the locked doors thing, is that it just looks cooler to have the Doctor interacting with machinery using it rather than, say, typing.

I'd go off on a rant about how our technology has become much more of a black-box situation since the early eras and the show's treatment of such things is reflective of that, but while relevant it's ultimately pointless.

There was a Confidential in Season One that was basically all about RTD's justifications for bringing back the screwdriver as a do-everything tool (the original had been destroyed during Davison's years, which is why when Tennant blew his up in "Smith and Jones" I thought they were getting rid of it again). Most of the thinking seemed pretty reasonable.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM
borgn

When I was a really young kid there was a Doctor Who computer game that had you, as the Doctor, killing Daleks with your screwdriver. And when I started getting into the new series, I was like, "well why doesn't he just take his screwdriver to 'em?" I'm still trying to figure that out, actually.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Suspected Atarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
...there are 31 seasons full of allegorical dystopias of varying plausibility to choose from. I don't want to argue boundary cases.
Doctor Who Baskin Robbins.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:57 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
When I was a really young kid there was a Doctor Who computer game that had you, as the Doctor, killing Daleks with your screwdriver. And when I started getting into the new series, I was like, "well why doesn't he just take his screwdriver to 'em?" I'm still trying to figure that out, actually.
um... deadlocked?

(This is a great fridge logic question.)

I think the Daleks were actually on a bit of a hiatus when the screwdriver came to prominence.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Terrible confusion

LttP for Angels talk, but I just got caught up on the two-parter last night. Really awesome stuff. Those angels are pretty terrifying! Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by O..O~ View Post
A fun bit of trivia for you all, the weeping angels (though they look like some sort of Styrofoam) are actually actors in heavy make up. THERE ARE REAL PEOPLE UNDER THERE.
That's crazy. When I was watching it, I was wondering how they did all of the angels because they clearly are not CG (most of the time at least), so I figured they must have just sculpted a bunch of them. Interesting.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:34 AM
troublemaker

Watched the new episode last night. Good, but not great. Still better than 5.03, though.

It was primarily a character development episode. I loved how they handled the whole Doctor/Amy/Rory triangle, and I was beyond happy when Rory had a backbone and eventually told off the Doctor. I was so afraid that this was going to turn into a Doctor/Rose/Mickey sort of thing, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

The episode on the whole reminded me of many previous episodes, and while I'm still quite fond of Nine, Eleven may very well eclipse him as my favorite incarnation. (Mind you, I've only seen bits of Four, Five and Seven, so it's not as if I've got a lot to choose from.) I am absolutely bonkers over Eleven, and Matt Smith is just wonderful in the role.

However! Now I'm stuck trying to look for continuity errors during this season/series, which I'm sure at this point Moffat's hoping for. /fist wave
Old 05-09-2010, 02:45 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Vampires in Venice was excellent. It looked to be shot on location, and not in a quarry for once. It also was packed with great dialogue.

"Did you kiss her back?"

"No, her face."
Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I was pretty pleased with how it came out. All the little touches to make logical things seem like vampire characteristics. And funny, too. The scene before the theme (which I don't hate anymore) with the Doctor in the cake was great.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:30 AM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The scene before the theme (which I don't hate anymore) with the Doctor in the cake was great.
Agreed (on both counts).

Once the preview for next week played, my excitement for that eclipsed my enjoyment of the episode. Which isn't to say it wasn't good -- but yeah.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
I Cuss You Bad

I actually quite like the theme now too. I think repeat listenings are required.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:02 PM
borgn

The Doctor's library card.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
The Doctor's library card.
It was pretty neat that 1's picture was on it, eh?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycar View Post
It was pretty neat that 1's picture was on it, eh?
What's funny is, I don't really like old Who, but I love when they reference it. Is that odd?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
What's funny is, I don't really like old Who, but I love when they reference it. Is that odd?
Not really. I'm pretty much the same way.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:47 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Wasn't a big fan of this one, as virtually the entire thing was derivative of earlier episodes (both better and worse). Let's see here:

- Girl brought before aliens pretending to be humans? Toby Whitehouse already opened an episode with that in "School Reunion"
- For that matter, that was the episode that briefly set up the Rose / Mickey / Doctor triangle, which is what this was primarily dealing with (although in the opposite direction).
- That end sequence was something that sounded good on paper, but didn't work (the obvious crib of a shot from 60s Batman was funny, but... c'mon). It also was a near-perfect match for the ending of Daleks in Manhattan, and bringing that disaster back to my mind takes points off.
- I'd complain about "mythical creature who winds up being an alien" being used again but, well, that's been ripped off for so long that it's not really an issue anymore. I thought the Werewolf was more effective in Tooth and Claw using the same conceit, however.

There's a couple more that came up, but those were the biggies. The scene with the Doctor doing "answer for answer" was very good, and I like Rory more now than in the first episode when he was just largely annoying, but it wasn't a strong effort by any means. Creature design was also pretty crappy; just a generic CGI monster with no distinguishing characteristics. No wonder they kept them offscreen for the most part.

And what the fuck was with all the chicken imagery? Literally every coverage shot in the last ten minutes involved a chicken. I thought for sure the Doctor was going to grab one to pay his bet back or something, but... nothing.

(I wonder if that was an awesomely inside joke - like, a jab at Tennant's lunch preferences or something. Have I mentioned how much I hate that they've apparently gotten rid of the website commentaries in favour of the current fluff site?)

Next one looks like the "off the beaten path" episode for the season, and I'm intrigued. It's got a very Big Finish vibe to the trailer (in that it's more of an intellectual puzzle), and Simon Nye's not one of the usual writing crew. And then of course it's presumably the Silurians after that for a two-parter, which should be fun.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Comprehends Words

Yeah, I agree in large part with everything you said there, Sven. I think the real redeeming quality here is just how much I like Rory more than I did Mickey, as he's not afraid to tell the Doctor exactly what he thinks. Also like the fact that Amy actually gives a crap about her actual boyfriend/fiancee, unlike some OTHER companions.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I think the real redeeming quality here is just how much I like Rory more than I did Mickey, as he's not afraid to tell the Doctor exactly what he thinks.
Well, Mickey started off kinda like that, but was eventually belittled into silence. But, hey, he wound up with a girl vastly out of his league who'd shown no such prior slumming predilections because he was the only unmarried black guy in the series, so yay for that?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Hawkguy

I'd like to reiterate that Amy Pond is hot.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 PM
...but WHEN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Well, Mickey started off kinda like that, but was eventually belittled into silence. But, hey, he wound up with a girl vastly out of his league who'd shown no such prior slumming predilections because he was the only unmarried black guy in the series, so yay for that?
I thought the same thing until a friend pointed out something. Martha is a girl who essentially said "No thanks, I'm out of here" to the Doctor. Which is something that would be attractive to Mickey. And Mickey was a somewhat go-getting Dalek fighter who had been spurned by Rose by the time he would have met Martha. Yes, it was pretty convenient, but I can see how it could work. Just food for thought.

Last edited by dulynoted; 05-10-2010 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Terrible confusion

The Vampire episode was really good IMO. The Doctor was full of personality in this one-- really hilarious stuff. And how about that preview for next week's? That looks like a good one!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulynoted View Post
I thought the same thing until a friend pointed out something. Martha is a girl who essentially said "No thanks, I'm out of here" to the Doctor. Which is something that would be attractive to Mickey. And Mickey was a somewhat go-getting Dalek fighter who had been spurned by Rose by the time he would have met Martha. Yes, it was pretty convenient, but I can see how it could work. Just food for thought.
My only problem with it is why would Martha go with Mickey, considering she was engaged and all. I thought it was pretty silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
The Vampire episode was really good IMO. The Doctor was full of personality in this one-- really hilarious stuff. And how about that preview for next week's? That looks like a good one!
Next week's looks really great. And I think the Doctor has had a bit more personality in general this season, what with the end of the space whale episode, end of the first episode, his interactions with Angel Bob, etc. While I think I still like Tennant a little more, I think Smith might end up better, partially thanks to the lackluster end of the 4th series, and the specials in between.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
My only problem with it is why would Martha go with Mickey, considering she was engaged and all. I thought it was pretty silly.
Yeah, that's the big thing. I just knew RTD was going there at the end of Journey's End, and it was annoying then. I hated being right.

You CAN justify it by other means, but, well, let's face it: this is RTD we're talking about, he'd always go with the least subtle message possible. In this case, it was that the two black characters obviously had to hook up with each other after being rejected by the white characters (it's not as bad as it sounds, but it plays out pretty horribly).

Plus, Martha's overall character arc just winds up being strange, going from prospective doctor to soldier to freelance alien hunter. She had a ton of promise and they really shit the bed with her after she stopped being a regular.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
She had a ton of promise and they really shit the bed with her after she stopped being a regular.
Yeah, I try to block out all of her post series 3 appearances.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

Superlative.

On the internet or somewhere I swear I once heard it said (about old Who I think) that the on-Tardis-only episodes were the best. This one is surely one of the best, if not the best, of all video Doctor Who episodes. (Yeah, I need some distance before saying so for sure.) Story was great, but the best was the great dialogue all the way through. Follows precedent set by Moffat himself on opening up the ribald innuendo/implications can, to worthy effect here; some nearly (but not) meta series/character awareness there too--normally a Big Finish DW audio trait; combine those two and you get something reminiscent of the greatness of the audio drama Deadline.

Britain has its own version of Wallace Shawn, and it seems he's just as great!

Maybe one flaw, but it's really just a personal preference. I was hoping/guessing the Black Guardian. It would have fit too since he tempts and deludes with illusions but can't attack himself, if memory serves. (Earlier, obvious guesses were the Master and even Davros, and though I didn't give The Tardis much credence as an answer, that turned out to be somewhat close in spirit.) The episode sets up a who-is-it guessing game with the main, recurring, individual-entity Who villains--perfect time to reintroduce the Black Guardian, though I would dearly love a Davros story with no Daleks in it--then just says it was the Doctor's dark side. It does work though. It arguably suggests the idea of the Valeyard. While it's likely not directly him, it's worth pointing out because this show heavily implied River Song killed the Doctor, and that made me either just dismiss the suggestion or theorized she killed the Valeyard. Could be a several-season-long setup brewing, which is something Moffat would surely love to do.

Also, the episode worked well and should stand better on its own for having nothing to do with cracks.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I thought it was pretty great, probably the best so far this season. Though we'll see how well the stuff Moffat's been setting up elevates what's already happened.

I guessed that they were both dreams, but not that the Doctor was the Dream Lord.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:30 PM
I Cuss You Bad

That was great. Toby Jones was excellent as usual and the Doctor has a pretty interesting dark side (as you'd expect from a character with this age, intelligence and history). All this from the writer of Men Behaving Badly, of all things.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
Toby Jones was excellent
Once again I think "That guy looks really familiar" and once again he's from a BBC Dickens production, this time "Old Curiosity Shop" (as Daniel Quilp) which PBS aired last year. He also played Karl Rove...

Patrick Troughton played Quilp in a '62 production (according to IMDB; I didn't see that one).
Old 05-17-2010, 08:23 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Yeah, very solid episode, and, as predicted, a very Big Finish-esque storyline. As such, I did get the double dreams ending, but like most I was expecting the bad guy to be an actual thing rather than something more psychological, although I hope that they're not going to go back down that whole "the Doctor has a dark side" thing. I had my fill of that with McCoy....

Lord help us, but the next two are by the man who was in charge of Torchwood for the first couple of seasons.

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , london 1965 , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , serious , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff