The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

It's definitely a lot. I think I like this trilogy more than ICE's other books, because it's really cool to see all these legendary figures from the empire as scrappy upstarts.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:37 PM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

These last few posts actually tie in to a conversation I had yesterday with an online buddy on another forum. They have only read the first two main Malazan books and weren't able to answer for sure, so I'll ask y'all: where does one start with this immense setting? Something breezier and jauntier than the pile of bricks that is the main series would be lovely. I tried Forge of Darkness and got nowhere.Are any of the Esslemonts self-contained?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:53 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Esslemont's original series ties into and supports the main series. I wouldn't read it without also tackling Erikson's books. However, his current Path to Ascendancy series is a prequel exploring the empire's formation, and while I suppose it might spoil some things, I would also say it fits the "breezier and jauntier" description. It might be the new best jumping on point. The main series is great, but it took me about three books to really get a grip on what the hell was going on.

EDIT: The books were definitely written with fans in mind, they're loaded with references. I still think they're probably easier to get into.

Last edited by Adrenaline; 12-13-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:23 AM

I've been escaping our dystopian reality into some dystopian fiction in the form of 1984. I keep reflecting on aspects of the Oceania society that are like, "Oh, this is just like now only without the pretense." I'm into it, though it's surprising how little has happened halfway in. World building, ya know?

The book's been on my shelf for years. I can't remember if it was a blown off reading assignment from college or something I picked up on a lark and put down for lack of shiny things.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:17 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
EDIT: The books were definitely written with fans in mind, they're loaded with references. I still think they're probably easier to get into.
Thanks, Adrenaline! I may end up just going with publishing order, but we'll see.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
These last few posts actually tie in to a conversation I had yesterday with an online buddy on another forum. They have only read the first two main Malazan books and weren't able to answer for sure, so I'll ask y'all: where does one start with this immense setting? Something breezier and jauntier than the pile of bricks that is the main series would be lovely. I tried Forge of Darkness and got nowhere.Are any of the Esslemonts self-contained?
FWIW, I have a lot of friends who bounced right off of Gardens of the Moon. It's unfortunately one of the weaker books in the series. It was shopped around and changed a lot over the years when they were trying to get it published, including a tv pitch (or maybe it was a movie?) at one point, and kind of a collaborative work (one of the many changes was taking ICE's name off the cover and making it more of a solo joint, which apparently appealed more to publishers), which results in a bit of a mess, and it shows. Deadhouse Gates is a direct sequel, but a much better, tighter story, with a reasonably self-contained main plot, and arguably the best book in the series.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:57 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I'd like to read the whole series again, but only when I have the time. So like, when I retire.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:17 AM

Time to finish the trilogy with Mississippi Blood by Greg Iles
Old 12-17-2017, 02:32 PM

The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero
Old 12-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Evocative

I wrote about Ursula K. Le Guin's blog collection, No Time to Spare, for Tor.com.

It's good!

Also reading: The Ringed Castle by Dorothy Dunnett and Ashenden by W. Somerset Maugham.

Not reading, at least this weekend: any forthcoming books or to-be-published manuscripts. It's nice to take a break from work reading.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Keeley your posts are the best thing on Tor thank you so much.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:53 PM

Yeah, that was a great read. Right now i'm reading another Le Guin book, A Wizard of Earthsea. I'm loving it.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Nonplussed

Last week, I finished The Goblin Emperor, which was nominated for a Hugo in 2015. I thought it was fantastic. Something that normally would be a big sprawling fantasy epic, but even though it was about big events, had a narrow character-based focus.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

I just finished A Christmas Carol. Quite an easy read. I found it fascinating that the book basically repopularized the practice of celebrating Christmas in England.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Just finished my 100th book for the year!

Now, reading Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames
Old 12-20-2017, 05:34 AM
Mr. Jackpots

How fast do you read bro
Old 12-20-2017, 08:09 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
How fast do you read bro

Old 12-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Better be the real thing.

How did it take this long for me to realize that Katherine Hepburn's Me was an actual autobiography? All this time I thought it was some humor book with a punny title.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
How fast do you read bro
Don't watch a whole lot of TV, and on a good day, sometimes I can read 200 pages a day.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:14 PM

Trivia Man by Deborah O'Brien
Old 12-23-2017, 06:30 PM

Bookburners: The Complete Season One by Max Gladstone
Old 12-23-2017, 11:15 PM
We just don't know.

Skyfarer by Joseph Brassey. It's airships and high fantasy. Swords and spells but also brass-decorated airships. Joe's an acquaintance of mine from HEMA so I'm giving his book a fair shake!
Old 12-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

In the middle of Anno Dracula. It is, indeed, very entertaining, and it's nice to play "spot the cameo", but its world is more depressing and cynical than I thought it would be.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:28 PM

Bookburners didn't go so well, so going to give The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu a try
Old 12-27-2017, 12:09 PM
GO!

I had a couple of long (20+ hour) plane trips, so I got lots of reading done recently!

Into the Drowning Deep, by Mira Grant / Seanan McGuire picked up after the events of Rolling in the Deep - it has a very flattering portrayal of mermaids and is, as usual for her work as Mira Grant, full of gore.

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer, by Jonathan L. Howard had been recommended, and it was interesting enough - a necromancer makes a bet with the devil to try to reclaim his soul, and ends up running a circus. I didn't feel driven to immediately start the next book in the series, but maybe someday.

Updraft / Cloudbound / Horizon, by Fran Wilde - The first book was great, and it drove me to immediately read the rest. I don't feel that the second and third quite reached the same height, but eh.

Spin, by Robert Charles Wilson - what if Earth were quarantined in a slowed time bubble, where the impending heat death of the Earth is only 30-40 years into the future instead of millions of years?

Artemis, by Andy Weir - Breezy little sci-fi slice of life taking place on a lunar colony starring a semi-unlikeable rogue. If you like The Martian, this has little similarity to it.

Goldenhand, by Garth Nix - The latest Old Kingdom book! I love that setting, so this was a treat to read. It went by too quickly.

The Fortress At The End of Time, by J.M. McDermott - Irredeemable slacker with a high opinion of themself is posted to the middle of nowhere, attempts to stay sane in a rather taxing environment.

Clockwork Boys, by Ursula Vernon - The book that showcases her thoughts on disgraced paladins (you really should read this); I really really want the sequel already, I love her writing and her Practical Protagonists so much.

In The Garden of Iden, by Kage Baker - The first book in the Company series, positing time travelers as a preservation force, traveling back to save things from being lost forever - plants, animals, art, etc. The book focuses on a new recruit saved from the Spanish Inquisition, and her time in England of the same time period. I've started the second book in the series, we'll see how it goes.

Oh! And I read The Fifth Season and its sequels, by N.K. Jemisin. Almost certainly the best books I read this year.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:38 PM

All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai
Old 12-28-2017, 10:31 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterthes View Post
Just finished my 100th book for the year!
Quote:
How fast do you read bro
I have an insane reading speed, I don't doubt I've gotten pretty near 200 books this year (I beat the 'college' rated reading speed back in middle school). Pretty sure in at least one of my years in college I got pretty close to 300 between text books, books for research, and leisure reading. And before you ask, yeah, I spend most of my free time reading, the rest is gaming.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:15 AM
Starts with your heart

I can read again, but my reading speed is of shit these days. If I want to really retain something I usually have to slow down a bit, even read aloud and/or take notes.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I have an insane reading speed, I don't doubt I've gotten pretty near 200 books this year (I beat the 'college' rated reading speed back in middle school). Pretty sure in at least one of my years in college I got pretty close to 300 between text books, books for research, and leisure reading. And before you ask, yeah, I spend most of my free time reading, the rest is gaming.
Im guessing you dont subvocalize?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:43 AM

I'm trying to get better at doing that. It's tough though

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book