The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
It's partially the editing, and partially finding the time to record every week. Do you remember what happened last time we kept trying to accomodate everyone's schedule? Having it set the same time every two weeks gives everyone lots of elbow room, and miraculously we've been consistent. Why rock the boat?
Hey brosef, I'm doing the editing now. It took me a total of 2 hours on a day that I already have time set aside for creative stuff.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 AM
A No.1

Hey, if you want to handle trying to get people together more often, then knock yourself out, champ.

...this (apparent) public airing of grievances aside, y'all should listen because whenever it does come out it's really fuckin' good!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:44 AM

Also, dude, next time you use all the toilet paper, put a new roll on.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 AM

You gentlemen are going to have to mix it up a bit. DrunkCast, or at least visit in one place and video record a DrunkShow where there is a non-stop marathon of 80s action throughout the night, intermittently paused by the participants passing out for a half hour or so before waking up and continuing the ActionCast commentary in drunken stupor. Harrrright, the act-tion movie where be I am here?

You won't get anywhere in this gig if you're not an alcoholic.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
You gentlemen are going to have to mix it up a bit. DrunkCast, or at least visit in one place and video record a DrunkShow where there is a non-stop marathon of 80s action throughout the night, intermittently paused by the participants passing out for a half hour or so before waking up and continuing the ActionCast commentary in drunken stupor. Harrrright, the act-tion movie where be I am here?

This man has it right.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 AM
A No.1

Dude, Shakewell doesn't even drink.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
Know anyone else that might be able to suggest Bollywood movies? Because I sure don't, and I know for a fact he watches them. Nothing racist about it.
There is this one which I wish my girlfriend and I had seen instead of The Town.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Slammaster

Quote:

So, yeah, Calories pointed out that I don't drink, but that's less of a problem than the fact that the closest other person to me on this cast is, I think, Stephen, and he lives over 400 miles away from me.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 AM
troublemaker

Quote:

If this is the case, I don't understand why I'm not on a podcast right the fuck now.
(Well, except for the fact that I'm not an alcoholic. Also, I wasn't drinking tonight. But last night, oh yes. And maybe tomorrow night. Definitely Thursday night.)
Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Oh man, did anyone else listen to the alcohol-fueled trainwreck that was Giant Bombcast at E3 this year? Hooo-lee shit.

Just sayin', maybe teetotaling isn't the worst idea.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:17 PM

This week's Action Cast will be up in about 3 hours. Theoretically.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Formerly known as vlad

Just wanted to say that I have listened to the American Ninja episode (and only that episode so far) and it was hilarious. I look forward to more with great anticipation.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 PM

Episode 5 is up! Please enjoy and tell us what you think. Suggestions are always welcome.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:45 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

You should kick everyone off the show but that Alex guy. He's so dreamy!
Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 PM

If anybody has any GOOD suggestions, please.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:03 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Ah, good suggestions. I see.

Have you ever thought of kicking everyone off the show but that Alex guy? He's so dreamy!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:23 PM

The first immediate problem is that the podcast is way too damn long.

A podcast should be 30 minutes in length, and must be thoroughly entertaining to justify any length beyond that. I think you guys need to be as liberal with editing the cast as much as possible, selecting only the juicest bits to keep and contouring the discussion into discrete units. This episode as a whole is way too laidback and digressive. Maybe that's what you're going for but if you expect to have an audience (with me at least, since I am one of the most important people on this damn planet) you must be more compassionate than this.

I like that you guys actively research what you're talking about though. I had no idea the zero gravity wrestling move JGL pulled off in Inception was called the "Million Dollar Dream." Whoa.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
The first immediate problem is that the podcast is way too damn long.

A podcast should be 30 minutes in length
Uhh, I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but there's only one podcast I listen to that's less than an hour long and I always wish it went on longer than that.

Quote:
I think you guys need to be as liberal with editing the cast as much as possible,
Yes, I need to learn how to edit. I'm sure that after a few more, I will learn.

Quote:
. This episode as a whole is way too laidback and digressive.
Could you be more specific? Like, I think I know what you're saying, because I may or may not have similar ideas. However, I may be WAY off base.

Quote:
I like that you guys actively research what you're talking about though. I had no idea the zero gravity wrestling move JGL pulled off in Inception was called the "Million Dollar Dream." Whoa.

Joe just loves wrestling.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Fun Fact: that wasn't researched. They just know that much stuff about wrestling.

Also, yeah as far as I know, the whole thing is supposed to be "Hey it's rambling and ridiculous." At least that's what every episode to date has been.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Fun Fact: that wasn't researched. They just know that much stuff about wrestling.
I know. I put that sentence in the wrong place, indicating it was googled. I know about ShakeWell's wrestling background. I also know a lot about his grandparents.

Quote:
Also, yeah as far as I know, the whole thing is supposed to be "Hey it's rambling and ridiculous." At least that's what every episode to date has been.
I hope they enjoy listening to their own podcast then! Unless they really want to branch out, then they should keep it short and extremely sweet. They should keep it structured and keep as little extraneous stuff--like personal anecdotes, random trivia and repartee between dudes that are not hilarious--as possible. I'm not suggesting this be a funeral-like affair, but let's say you have a 100 jokes, now your job is to cut 94 of them and keep only the best stuff. There should also be musical interludes to indicate a shift in topic. Especially in this episode. Preferably classical musical interludes.

Don't you guys outline this stuff? It should be like:

CLASSICAL MUSICAL INTERLUDE

TOPIC I: Dirty Harry
Discussion A: Why do people hate on this movie because it's old?
Discussion B: Dude, here's what I thought what was so cool about this movie!
etc.

TOPIC II: Death Wish
Discussion A: I love vigilantism.
Discussion B: Charles Bronson is better at killing criminals than Jason Voorhees. Yay or nay?
etc.

FIN

I don't mind the audio splices. You know. You guys should experiment with background noises, like having a whole cast scored to the background noise of noisy freeway or beautiful meadow. You know. Or having intense house music pulsating in the background. Stuff like that.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:00 PM

I like structure, but that's too much structure. I'm more interested in seeing where the conversation goes, than restricting it to "THIS AND THIS AND THIS."

Dizzy, did you listen to the American Ninja episode?
Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

So I listened to it and yeah, we could've shaved a lot off the back end of it. At least the American Ninja episode was funny from beginning to end. This one was kinda boring towards the end. WAY TO EDIT REI JERKFACE
Old 10-07-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
Dizzy, did you listen to the American Ninja episode?
No, but I will and if I have anything of monumental importance to say then watch this space.

I don't think you have to have it like THIS AND THIS AND THIS. You just have to make the topics in the podcast smoothly connect to one another through segues. If the conversation goes anywhere interesting, keep the audio, but if it doesn't then slice it.

EDIT:

The American Ninja episode was funny, but had too much fat. Too long, too many digressions. Cut, cut, cut, cut!

Though no episode should end without at least 5 audio splices of the distorted "BABIES! ARRRRGH!" cry. Man is that awesome.

Last edited by Dizzy; 10-07-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
So I listened to it and yeah, we could've shaved a lot off the back end of it. At least the American Ninja episode was funny from beginning to end. This one was kinda boring towards the end. WAY TO EDIT REI JERKFACE
I DOUBT CALORIES WOULD HAVE EDITED ANY OF IT OUT.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I will agree that this newest one was less focused, but I'd rather have a rambly 1 hour+ podcast than a focused 30 minute one. 30 minutes doesn't even get me to work and back.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
I DOUBT CALORIES WOULD HAVE EDITED ANY OF IT OUT.
On the contrary, when I edit the podcast I cut anything I get bored lsitening to, and I make cuts so that it ends up being roughly one hour in length.

As for Dizzy's feedback: I'm glad you're listening to it, but my favorite podcasts are all rambling and go off-topic whenever, and I prefer that style. Plus, it's easier.

On the other hand, most ramble-y podcasts are as long as they want to be and make few cuts, and I feel a tight podcast should shoot for an hour in length. Half hour is way too short for a podcast. This isn't super focused like, say, Stuff You Should Know, so the digressions - to me - are as entertaining as the actual topic. Hell, half the reason I like dumb action movies are because of conversations like this, and all the stupid stuff that comes up when you watch one on the couch with your buddies.

I'm not sure how much of your suggested structure is a joke, but I can see where you're coming from - but more often than not I've heard stiff structure do nothign except stifle what could be a good podcast, and I don't want that. If you're looking for only on-topic discussion and thought-provoking stuff, I guess we aren't the guys to provide it. If you want some good discussion and dumb jokes and wrestling trivia and fun, well, we're shooting for that, at least.

Anyway, I haven't listened to the newest one yet, so I'll see what's what, but in general this is how I feel re: podcasting. (And you guys thought I never gave this much thought!)
Old 10-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Comprehends Words

Man, I just listened to the latest, and my favorite part was that when Rei is describing how boring the duffel bag sequence is, he basically described the plot of Die Hard With A Vengence, which is awesome.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
Man, I just listened to the latest, and my favorite part was that when Rei is describing how boring the duffel bag sequence is, he basically described the plot of Die Hard With A Vengence, which is awesome.
Damn. I should have called him on that. But it just proves HOW INCREDIBLY WRONG HE IS ABOUT DIRTY HARRY.

Oh, and I was in Chicago yesterday and had to get a picture in front of this mural:

Old 10-10-2010, 08:19 PM

Die Hard with a Vengance was way better to watch than Dirty Harry.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 PM

You guys are going to cover the Neveldine/Taylor movies, right?

Crank, Crank 2 and Gamer?

Here's one possible podcast: a Tony Scott action movie c/c w/ movies clearly indebted to him.

Man on Fire (and the James Brown short) vs. Running Scared and Smokin' Aces. Yay or nay?

Tags
babies!! gaaah!! , babiessssssssss , bill paxton , billarm , calorie mate reads this , joe drilling media empire , liam neeson , podcast , so much shouting , throat chops , too old for this shit