The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post

my sword hand is burning
Is he in the game!?
Old 09-27-2017, 02:31 AM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
it is a fire emblem game
I know, I just mean compared to other Musou games.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:36 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Is he in the game!?
Yeah. Apparently he, Navarre from Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem and Oboro and Niles from Fates show up as NPCs in the story mode, and everyone assumes they're unlockable in the post game.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Niles
!!!!

He'd better be playable.

I hope they're not just DLC teases.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:38 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Yeah. Apparently he, Navarre from Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem and Oboro and Niles from Fates show up as NPCs in the story mode, and everyone assumes they're unlockable in the post game.
That is awesome. Oboro is one of my favourites and Niles is great. He was the first bi character, correct?
Old 09-28-2017, 05:53 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
That is awesome. Oboro is one of my favourites and Niles is great. He was the first bi character, correct?
And Rhajat. Though they're both a wee bit sociopathic.

In other news:

ACCEPTABLE
Old 09-28-2017, 08:42 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

THAT is what I signed up for.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
And Rhajat. Though they're both a wee bit sociopathic.
And Corrin, who is a gigantic idiot instead.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Wisdom's Pissed

Pronouns: he / his

Anna looks awesome. Dammit I may need this after all lol
Old 09-28-2017, 09:08 AM

Dang, I didn’t realize this was coming out exactly a week before Mario. Good luck, Fire Emblem!
Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 AM
so exciting!

The Anna trailer looks more interesting than anything else they've shown off officially so far.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:30 AM
Bob

Quote:
The Anna trailer looks more interesting than anything else they've shown off officially so far.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:54 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
And Corrin, who is a gigantic idiot instead.
Well, then Robin too, I didn't consider the player-controlled characters but you're right!
Old 09-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
THAT is what I signed up for.
Yeah, now THAT looks a lot more like the kinda craziness I expect from a Musou roster.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 AM
Crazy Old Bird

According to a translation of a Nintendo Dream interview, Ike and Roy will not be in any DLC packs for Fire Emblem Warriors. I had figured any character with an amiibo would have been a lock for this game. How odd.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:11 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
According to a translation of a Nintendo Dream interview, Ike and Roy will not be in any DLC packs for Fire Emblem Warriors. I had figured any character with an amiibo would have been a lock for this game. How odd.
In retrospect, once we saw the cast in the base game, we should have known that the older games wouldn't likely be represented in DLC. After all, the sales of DLC packs will probably hinge on the popularity of included characters more than the base game. Yes, it is true that Hyrule Warriors had DLC that focused on different games in the franchise, but the difference there is that Zelda has been popular for all of its existence and thus most, if not all games have a significant following, whereas Fire Emblem was niche for a long time then suddenly became popular.

But hey, I understand. There's no time to include the lead characters of older games in the franchise. They need to focus on adding a bunch of minor characters from Fates only a small percentage of players used regularly.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Boom

This is truly bizarre, since Ike and Roy were the two (male) winners of the FE Heroes "Choose Your Legends" vote.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
This is truly bizarre, since Ike and Roy were the two (male) winners of the FE Heroes "Choose Your Legends" vote.
I think the issue here is that Nintendo probably wants to keep each piece of DLC to a theme, rather than fill each pack with characters from varying games in the franchise, or even sell individual characters separately. This would make Ike and Roy disadvantaged in getting a spot on the roster, since even if they are indiviually popular, the other characters in their respective games aren't. It's probably easier to sell a couple of moderately popular characters from Fates and Awakening than it is to sell Ike, plus a few guys most people haven't heard of. I mean, I love the cast of Path of Radiance, it's easily my favorite cast in the franchise, but most of Warriors' potential audience knows nothing about them except that Ike was in Smash Bros.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:43 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
In retrospect, once we saw the cast in the base game, we should have known that the older games wouldn't likely be represented in DLC. After all, the sales of DLC packs will probably hinge on the popularity of included characters more than the base game. Yes, it is true that Hyrule Warriors had DLC that focused on different games in the franchise, but the difference there is that Zelda has been popular for all of its existence and thus most, if not all games have a significant following, whereas Fire Emblem was niche for a long time then suddenly became popular.

But hey, I understand. There's no time to include the lead characters of older games in the franchise. They need to focus on adding a bunch of minor characters from Fates only a small percentage of players used regularly.
True. Stupid (No we're not putting Ike or Roy in, here's some more Deviant Art fodder and a few random whozits like two people remember from Awakening and Fates), but true. Zelda's always had a following, Fire Emblem only became super popular after the dark pact made to bring the series to 3DS. And not helping is that Nintendo won't localize the games we missed unless they get a random modern remake,* so like 1/3rd of the series including one of its best entries is stuck in raw Japanese or fan translations. =/

Honestly, given how Marth's game has gotten the short end of the stick compared to the other two represented titles, I'm betting Shadow Dragon's DLC pack will be much smaller than those for the waifu games.

* And even that wasn't enough for us to get a localization of Shadow Dragon's direct sequel's remake since the first DS remake flopped. Way to go dropping that Marth ball.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Another key difference from Hyrule Warriors is that each individual Fire Emblem game has a big cast, much bigger than your typical Zelda game. As a result, it's far easier to create a large roster using only 3 games of the franchise. With Zelda, if you stuck to only 3 games you'd run out of characters and would have to branch out eventually.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Wisdom's Pissed

It's absolutely possible that there will be more DLC than the initial set. Hyrule Warriors certainly did, and if the game sells well enough and the DLC catches on I don't see why they would stop. Of course, I could be wrong, so we'll see I guess.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Another key difference from Hyrule Warriors is that each individual Fire Emblem game has a big cast, much bigger than your typical Zelda game. As a result, it's far easier to create a large roster using only 3 games of the franchise. With Zelda, if you stuck to only 3 games you'd run out of characters and would have to branch out eventually.
Yeah, even if they are just different anime variants of DnD vocations and the odd wyvern rider or dragon girl, Fire Emblem's crew is an easier fit for a Musou title because almost everybody's already a combatant. Zelda's got a ton of variety, but you have to get creative to turn much of its supporting cast into fighters.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
It's absolutely possible that there will be more DLC than the initial set. Hyrule Warriors certainly did, and if the game sells well enough and the DLC catches on I don't see why they would stop. Of course, I could be wrong, so we'll see I guess.
Hyrule Warriors also had a 3DS version, though. Backporting some of the new content to Wii U (i.e. the new characters/weapons) and requiring the Babby Edition to access it is a great way (for Nintendo and Koei Tecmo) to get people to buy both games.

I don't really see that happening with Fire Emblem Musou, particularly because the Nintendo Switch is already portable. An inferior 3DS port with new content would just be redundant.

Last edited by MetManMas; 10-01-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Wisdom's Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Hyrule Warriors also had a DS version, though. Backporting some of the new content to Wii U (i.e. the new characters/weapons) and requiring the Babby Edition to access it is a great way (for Nintendo and Koei Tecmo) to get people to buy both games.

I don't really see that happening with Fire Emblem Musou, particularly because the Nintendo Switch is already portable. An inferior 3DS port with new content would just be redundant.
That is all true. Although there is a New 3DS version of FE Musou coming out at the same time in this case...like I said, it's possible extra DLC may come down the road, but it just as well may not. I think sales will determine that, and I'm not sure if this will have the same appeal as Hyrule Warriors.

That being said, having Lyn, Lucina and Anna all be in the core game has made me interested in it when I have a Switch, so I will probably pick it up at some point.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:53 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
They already explicitly said Ike and Roy would not be in as DLC, which likely rules out both Path of Radiance and Sealed Sword since there's no reason to include those games but leave out the main characters. If they are planning on having more games being represented, why would they rule anything out for now?

I mean it's certainly possible, but absolutely nothing about how the developers have talked about it suggests anything else is coming except for more Fates, Awakening, and Shadow Dragon.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Wisdom's Pissed

Quote:
They already explicitly said Ike and Roy would not be in as DLC, which likely rules out both Path of Radiance and Sealed Sword since there's no reason to include those games but leave out the main characters. If they are planning on having more games being represented, why would they rule anything out for now?

I mean it's certainly possible, but absolutely nothing about how the developers have talked about it suggests anything else is coming except for more Fates, Awakening, and Shadow Dragon.
I got all that. Perhaps I'm just being blindly optimistic about the future of this game.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:54 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
That is all true. Although there is a New 3DS version of FE Musou coming out at the same time in this case...like I said, it's possible extra DLC may come down the road, but it just as well may not. I think sales will determine that, and I'm not sure if this will have the same appeal as Hyrule Warriors.
Ah, I see. I still stand by it being redundant given the Switch's portability, and I don't see people still using an Old 3DS (i.e. ME) upgrading just to play the inferior version, but it does kinda make sense given how much the New 3DS audience has grown. I'm guessing having a dedicated (old) portable option was a Plan B for just in case the Switch had flopped hard.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:25 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

This has been out in Japan for a few days now right? Are there any good gameplay videos featuring the local multiplayer yet?
Old 10-15-2017, 03:19 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Bits and pieces from reviews of the Japanese version:

- 15 unique movesets, with a sizeable number of clones. Most notably, all three spear characters have the same moveset. Ugh.

- No item cards. You progress through History Mode by battling, not by grinding for items. Thank goodness.

- You can give orders to NPC generals, not just your party. NPCs are somewhat competent at capturing and defending on their own, especially when they have weapon advantage.

- The leaked NPC generals are not playable, at least for now. There is data for them in the game and Oboro has a unique spear moveset so hopefully they're free DLC.

- Multiplayer is split-screen, 30 fps. The number of on-screen enemies drops, which isn't a big deal for normal play but really annoying if you're going for S rank. Don't know if it has the Hyrule Warriors Legends workaround where invisible KOs are still counted with certain moves.

- Only one boss, at the end of Story Mode and the History Mode campaigns. Supposedly it's mad annoying. I hated the bosses in Hyrule Warriors so I'm glad to see them mostly gone.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:26 AM
so exciting!

so i watched a couple of preview videos and i have a question: do enemies, like, actually attack?

Tags
do not pursue jeigan , fire emblem , nintendo switch