The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He
Default Digital Down-Low for 10/19/2017: Do not Pursue Jeigan

Look deep within yourself and release your inner Jimmy Buffet.

PSN is starting this week with... something all right. Something... pretty friggin' unexpected, any way you slice it.

We've got ourselves Bokosuka Wars 2.

You know, the totally inscrutable RTS that proclaimed "WOW! YOU LOSE!" when you inevitably died, because little of the game was conveyed clearly.

Well, it's back, and it's still using the MSX graphics it was born with and the trailer did not show the game over screen, but I bet it still involves King Zarkon being surprised at your failure.

If my Playstation grew a fist and started hurling punches at me when I booted it up, I would not be more surprised than I was when I saw that.

Brawlhalla is a free-to-play Smash Brothers knock-off that, if nothing else, has the nicest character designs of any Smash Brothers knock-off I've seen. I mean, that particular bar is so low you'd need the machine from The Core to find it, but still. You've got a skellyman fighting a dude wearing a tiger for a shirt and I say "Okay, well... it's free, so okay, I'll bite."

Now, we all know you shouldn't watch anime. That's a given, but you can get around that by reading anime! On your television screen! The most comfortable possible way to read a book about anime teens bein' horny and investigating murders!

You know, the format that all the best works literature adheres to.

Anyway, Chaos Child is that.

Dungeons 3 is, well, it's Dungeon Keeper. Reborn for the fast-paced go-get-em world of the Twenty-Teens! As opposed to the pokey go-nowhere attitude of the Mid 90s!

Build a crappy hole! Let VARMINTS come into that hole! And Use Varmints To Kill People. Yay!

Elex wants to be an open-world RPG, but couldn't decide which standard fantasy setting to use, so it smushed 'em all together. So we've got spacemen, cowboys and Conans all running around in Narnia, Planet Zorch and Mid-World.

So... it's straight-up He-Man, I guess.

Most of the bullet-points in the description were pretty common to this sort of game, but at least the setting is noteworthy.

Megaton Rainfall is a first-person Superhero game that looks pretty cool. As Invisible Superman, you fly around the planet kersploding giant alien BAD GUYS with the standard stock of powers. Kind of looks like Earth Defense Force, except without the guns and with far fewer enemies in a given area at any time.

Just watching the trailer made me say "Okay, THAT looks cool" at least a couple of times.

Rogue Trooper ReDux I spoke about last week on the Switch. It's an adaptation of one of the most THRILLPOWER filled Progs in 2000 AD. I've become a complete Judge Dredd fan between this game being announced and it being released, so I am more than slightly interested in its partner in EXPLOSIONS.

Speaking of games that use their license appropriately, we have South Park: The Fractured But Whole (a pun that took me far longer to grasp then I am proud to admit), the sequel to the (unexpectedly good) Stick of Truth. This time being based on poking fun at the Marvel Cinematic Universe rather than Game of Thrones (or Lord of the Rings, I guess). According to Nadias review, it strongly adheres to the shows strengths in focusing on the kids being kids in a weird, awful town rather than the shows weaknesses of focusing on Matt Stone and Trey Parkers antipathy towards any social beliefs outside of their own.

It also has a kind of problematic difficulty slider, but I believe Ubisoft may have back off on that.

Okay, on to the eShop where, once again, it's the Switchs party and you're all invited! Where we're beginning with Fire Emblem: Warriors (also on the 3DS, which I am assuming looks and plays like crap, comparatively). As implied by the title, it's a Musou game based on Fire Emblem. Because when people think on Fire Emblem, the first thing that comes to mind is a lone hero mowing down hundreds and hundreds of enemy soldiers single-handedly.

...actually, I play them on Casual difficulty so that is precisely my experience.

Anyway, despite nominally being a series-wide crossover game, it almost entirely focuses on the more recent titles, but that's okay for me because I like those characters more anyway. I ain't chompin' at the bit to see the cast of Thracia or Geneology reunited, you know?

Next up is another weekly release that I find genuinely surprising; Spelunker Party! It's a multiplayer sequel to Spelunker, you know, that exploration-heavy platformer about a guy exploring a mine haunted by the ghosts of everyone who died there and who needs to progress carefully because fatal traps are everywhere and only the most cautious of players can get th-

Oh my God...

I mean, it's a platformer and there is no combat, but...

It's Dark Souls.

Dark Souls is a Spelunker clone

Count Lucanor is a pixelly, spooky puzz-venture where you're in a Haunted Castle full of Weird/Bad Things and must navigate puzzles and avoid monsters in order to get treasure at the behest of what looks like a vampiric Bat-Mite.

Elliot Quest is also out, after having been ported to everything else under the sun. And I am totally okay with that, because I love Elliot Quest (even if the 3DS port has an unavoidable game-breaking bug in the final area, which broke my heart). It's a combination of the Good Bits of both Zelda 2 and Kid Icarus into one game about a little toga-boy trying to figure out how to just die already, and needing to murder up all the local gods in order to achieve this dream.

It bears the Octo Seal of Approval.

Jydge is the second game based on a 2000AD comic this week! Except that, for legal reasons, this is not actually referred to as a Judge Dredd game. It is barely not a Judge Dredd game, but it is sufficiently different from Judge Dredd that the lawyers will not be involved.

Revenant Saga is another Kemco JRPG stiched together form the discarded remains of other Kemco JRPGs. Like a Spooky Scary Frankenstein!

And speaking of Boris Karloff, we also have The Mummy: Demastered (or... we will next week) a troid-em-up from Wayforward that, despite the prominence of an evil sexy mummy lady on the cover-art, is not at all related to the Tom Cruise Mummy reboot.

Or, sadly, the Brendan Fraser one.

Or, despite my reference to Mr. Karloffs oeuvre, the original Universal movie.

No, this here is yet another Mummy reboot, featuring masked commandos plunging into the haunted castle ruled by A SCARY MUMMY!

On the one hand, it looks pretty similar to Aliens: Infestation, and I am totally okay with that. On the other, the concept of a Castlevania game where Dracula is replaced with A Mummy just tickles my funnybone in a way I had not forseen. Either way, a must-have.

And the last release this week (that I an bothering with) is This is The Police, which is an altogether darker take on Police Quest, featuring a crooked cop who is looking to retire rich as opposed to deceased.

Okay, drive safely!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:05 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octo
Count Lucanor
Oh wow! I played this game on Steam a few months back. Switch is perfect for it. It's got this cool 80s-anime-pixel art vibe, and some creepy ass goats. I recommend!

Old 10-19-2017, 11:08 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

"So... it's straight-up He-Man, I guess."

Wow - now I'm interested
Old 10-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I just took a look at Elex's PSN page after hearing that description and now I'm interested, too. If anyone here picks up the game before I can, I'd definitely be interested in impressions of the experience.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
"So... it's straight-up He-Man, I guess."

Wow - now I'm interested
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I just took a look at Elex's PSN page after hearing that description and now I'm interested, too. If anyone here picks up the game before I can, I'd definitely be interested in impressions of the experience.
Well I certainly hope someone at THQ is paying attention to this thread!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:38 AM

I've never played any Piranha Bytes games but I'm paying very close attention to ELEX. It seems to be following Gothic's design, open ended immersive simulator with a very reactive and extremely varied, content dense world. Plus I'm pretty sick of generic medieval fantasy pulp setting so this is a welcome change.

If you're familiar with CRPG circles, it's not uncommon to see the Gothic games placed up there with the Fallout's, the Arcanum's, the Baldur's Gates games, and so on. To my understanding their Risen series was pretty disappointing and given that Gothic itself is not very well known outside of these circles, I'm not surprised to see it get so little attention. But if you have any interest in CRPG's whatsoever, you should keep an eye on it.

So far it seems to have been received well and has 1000 reviews on steam. Very glad to see this.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:08 AM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJ View Post
I'm pretty sick of generic medieval fantasy pulp setting so this is a welcome change.
You ain't the only one, dood. Like, I still love the hell out of Skyrim enough to play new builds regularly, and I play a bit of Oblivion here and there, but if Bethesda ever gets around to making a new non-MMORPG Elder Scrolls I want it set somewhere that would compete with Morrowind in the weirdness department, like Black Marsh.

Oh well, ESO may have some significant differences from the Elder Scrolls I know but it's got some wonderful sights to see. Tolerating dumb old stupid Bleakrock Isle was worth it since the next place I hit was Bal Foyen, a Morrowind (but not "Morrowind") location.

Definitely gonna be keeping an eye on Elex media on PS Share for the time being.

Tags
digital downloads , fire emblem , octo does not do research