The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-02-2016, 03:21 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Pretty much!

It's not EXACTLY random chance though.

Ad-Libs only activate under certain circumstances; specifically, when a character performs a skill (not an attack) of a specific type (e.g. Back Chorus only activates on casting Zio- skills, Labyrinth only activates on Bufu- skills). I'm personally convinced that the game rolls once for activation of the Ad-Lib per enemy the skill would hit, and as a result multi-target skills will Ad-Lib more frequently than single target skills. So you can cast Agi with Kiria all day, and she'll never Ad-Lib. It also means that Kiria will likely Ad-Lib way more often than Touma or Yashiro because you're going to be leaning hard on her Mabufudyne at all times, but you're going to be using the others situationally.

A Duet only activates on a Session of... I think 4 or more combos. There's no way to know what will activate a Duet, far as I can tell, except: a particular duet will not occur if neither of its members are in the session. So you will not get Give Me! on a Session comprising Aoi, Touma, Eleonora, Mamori, and Yashiro because neither Tsubasa nor Kiria are in the Session. Once you've activated the Duet, its members are removed from the follow-up session (which is capped at the same participants in the original session) - so if in the example above you activated Crazy Circus, the followup session would be Aoi, Mamori, Yashiro.

If a Duet only comprises one member of your active party, such as The Tunnel Home then only the active member will be removed from the followup session. This means longer session combos and a better chance at getting another Duet the second time around.

So yeah, it's random, but there are mechanics internal to them that can somewhat affect frequency.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:59 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Game beaten, true ending achieved!

To get the true ending, you have to not only beat all of the side stories (requests no, just side stories), but in the epilogue, talk to all of the characters that appear in your Topic contact list (except for Tiki).

Since I had to bumble around a while to find them, here they are for your convenience.

Yashiro by the concert hall (Shibuya, Central City, near where the Idolasphere portal was)
Mamori (Studio)
Ellie (TV Station)
Kiria (Shibuya, 106)
Touma (rooftop)
Tsubasa (Shibuya, inside the cafe)
Maiko (Fortuna)
Barry (Shibuya, inside Uzume Lesson Studio)

After talking to all of the, enter the Bloom Palace door.

I liked how the other minor characters appear, too, and you get to see how their stories wrapped up. In all honesty, it reminds me a heck of a lot of the main ending for Chrono Trigger. I know there are other RPGs with the epilogue feature.

So yes, this game that came out of nowhere is easily the best RPG I've played since, well, Persona 4. A fantastic game and it makes me all the more excited for Persona 5. Maybe I'll be crazy enough to New Game + it some time.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Family Man

I just started the last chapter, and without going into detail, I have to finish this in the next three days or I won't get another chance for over a week. I don't know if I can do it. JRPG final dungeons are always terrible slogs and I still have the last two Side Stories!!!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:04 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Text Stories, with UUDD and Willm

Willm: You know when I first heard that they were making an SMT/FE crossover I was not expecting THIS

Willm: I am glad to be disappointed!

UUDD: They used the raddest monkey's paw.

UUDD: It had a lot of glitter on it.

Willm: And it makes jazz hands!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:30 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

It casts wind-Elwind, and makes double pistols.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:31 PM
This Guy

I'm making progress in this game again. I just started up Chapter 4. For once, the game slowly opening up big gameplay options, like benched party members joining sessions, feels like a natural growth of the party and not the game just holding stuff back for far too long.

What should I know about class changing? Is there any reason not to do it as soon as it is an option? The option recently opened up, but the game didn't really explain how it works that well. Or I skipped over it. Either way, I'm not sure what to do.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:52 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

I am in Chapter 1 and this game is pretty great so far. At first I thought the idol aesthetic would turn me off, but instead I think I'm into it, and beyond that, the game more or less plays like a pretty good SMT game, so I'm definitely liking this.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:52 AM

Promoting to a class gives you permanent access to new carnages (weapons). You will also learn a new SP move the first time you promote, regardless of which class you choose. It will also change your stats.

There are enough master seals for everyone to class change twice if you do all side quests. If needed, you can save scum and win them from the Hee Ho lotteries starting from chapter 5. In my Lunatic run I promoted Ellie first for Mass Destruction, which pretty much KOs any non-boss monster.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:52 AM
Infinity Squared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
What should I know about class changing? Is there any reason not to do it as soon as it is an option? The option recently opened up, but the game didn't really explain how it works that well. Or I skipped over it. Either way, I'm not sure what to do.
You should do Class Change whenever you can, there's no real downside to taking a promoted class (though some do have stat tradeoffs). You can always Master Seal into the opposite promoted class later on. Since each promoted class unlocks a few weapons, it's a good idea to start by promoting everyone into a class that you don't expect to take at the end of the game, and then sideways-promote to the class that you do want after everyone's had their turn. I'm at the Intermission after Chapter 5 and have gotten enough Master Seals to promote everyone once, and all but two characters twice. So it should be doable to get everything unlocked by the end of the game.

EDIT: Beaten. Well, there you go, confirmation that everyone can be promoted twice.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

How does experience and skill inheritance work for characters who don't participate in battle? Do they get less? If I switch a character out in battle, do they still get full credit if I didn't finish with them in the party?
Old 08-16-2016, 02:10 PM

I don't know the exact mechanics but it appears to be based off of the number of actions they take in battle. So subcast members can still level if participate in sessions later. The members in the active party will always level faster, so you'll want to cycle them in to keep their levels even.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:21 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno500 View Post
How does experience and skill inheritance work for characters who don't participate in battle? Do they get less? If I switch a character out in battle, do they still get full credit if I didn't finish with them in the party?
There are skills characters can get that let them get party experience when offstage.

Itsuki has a skill that will let characters that are offstage get Mastery.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:02 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I got some of the DLC, including a mini-dungeon loaded with tomes that helps you increase character level, and evened everyone out.

It boosts stats, but that's about it. Stage rank is what is ultimately important, because it determines what Radiant Unity skills you can unlock.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:54 AM
Infinity Squared!

You still want levels, though - it seems like the difference in level between actor and target plays a part in the damage calculations. The damage you deal to enemies when you revisit an older dungeon just doesn't seem to be explained by stats alone, and levels are used as part of calculations in a lot of Atlus RPGs.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:07 PM
...we're shy.

The DLC dungeons are pretty amazing - they came with the Special Edition, and made the process of playing catch-up with your benched characters practically painless. Also, the dungeon for skill tomes helped me with weapon reforging quite a bit. Anything to alleviate the grind is welcome in my games!
Old 08-19-2016, 09:55 PM
Family Man

This final dungeon commits nearly every JRPG Final Dungeon sin in the book. Annoying puzzles, reusing bosses and it goes on way, way too long. I don't why JRPG's have to always end with a momentum killing slog of a dungeon.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:17 PM

Right that's kind of how I feel about Megaman with the reusing bosses.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:25 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I thought the final dungeon was fine aside from the part with the moving block puzzle. I was far more annoyed with the preceding chapter where you had to go back to nearly all of the old dungeons.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:19 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Rented this to try out after I've been hearing so many good things from everyone. I really like the battle system but have a lot of gripes with the game in general.

- I wish they'd subtitled the battle chatter. I can hear them say session sometimes so it must be a comment to confirm the attack will trigger a session. Would be nice to have that confirmation.
- So many repetitive animations! I'm only at Chapter 2 and it sounds like that will change once I get more skills and characters, but right now I'm pretty tired of seeing these.
- I swear something is wrong with the hit boxes for doing the first strikes. It doesn't seem to be consistent. Do different swords have different reach or something?
- Too much boob jiggling. Ugh.
- Tsubasa's personality is awful.
- The constant text messaging is annoying, and having to trudge back to Tiki so often is kind of lame.

But it was worth a rental and I love how bright and colorful it is and the little Fire Emblem touches are fun. Still not what I wanted from SMTxFE, but I see the idea. I just wish things were a bit more streamlined.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:56 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

I had this brief fantasy that I would translate the combat barks and make them into a faq, because some of them are so great and I am so sad that the majority of the playing audience misses them!

And then I remembered that I barely had enough time to play through the game. I'd still translate them if someone had a list of the barks, though, or a sound file, that'd be the time consuming part.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:22 AM
hourglass figure

I had previously only given a cursory glance at the art book that came with my copy of the game, but today I decided to look through the character concept art and now I'm incredibly disappointed that none of these amazing expressions were ever used in the game:

I'm especially a fan of Tsubasa's murderous bad hair day scowl™, since the contrast with her absurdly meek ingame personality is so ridiculous. God knows what could possibly make her angry enough to make that kind of face.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 AM
Bob

So a few months removed from this, I kind of want to check this game out. As a Fire Emblem fan who has wanted to break into Persona (and SMT to some degree), is it worth playing over other things coming out?
Old 02-25-2017, 11:31 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
So a few months removed from this, I kind of want to check this game out. As a Fire Emblem fan who has wanted to break into Persona (and SMT to some degree), is it worth playing over other things coming out?
I mean, if you want to, but both Fire Emblem and Persona are getting new entries in April, so.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:41 AM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

If you like Fire Emblem, #FE is an easier way to get into the Persona side of things. It's a much lighter take on the kind of stuff that Persona 4 made the franchise popular with. But #FE still manages to have it's own identity and take on things.

I still just really love the way they frame battles, and especially attacks. Labeling it all with the attacking character as the artist just drives home the entertainment industry aspect. I wanted to beat #FE as part of #4iF, but work stuff dragged out too much of my time so I had to choose to do something else instead.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:11 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

All the talk in this thread made me pull the trigger a couple months ago. I haven't played it yet, but I'm looking forward to when I do.

Tags
#fe , atlus , cu chulainn , dislike: 3d girls , don't watch anime , fire emblem , good old-fashioned anime , hatsune miku chan!!! , marth , maybe watch anime , s link or s rank? , shin megami tensei , the greatest fire emblem , tms sharp iron , where the s-links at , you session-in' cool