The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-15-2017, 10:10 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
Yeah...that was probably unnecessary. I now highly suspect that Poppi's (Ch. 5 H2H spoiler) third form is a bunny girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Yeah, Tora is the better tank in my experience....but I donít like him.
So, personally, I just finished the scene where you get Four, and it actually upset me a little. I thought that everything about the lead-up to Poppi QT's transformation was really rad, and then it gets cut off at the knees by the game giving you ANOTHER tank in the middle of a boss fight.

That sequence made me upset at how the story decided to handle combining these two key points, and also upset that they went back to 3 man parties after X. It was way too confining in XBC, and it's still way too confining here. Blade swapping would have helped mitigate that matter since then your party is comprised of the characters you like, and they can swap between roles on the fly. But instead, the blade class mechanic combined with the fixed story blades means you're still better off focusing each character on their predefined role.

They were SO CLOSE.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Good Jo.R.B.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
oh, xenoblade
Old 12-15-2017, 03:09 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

QTπ is a great localization and much less creepy.

In Japanese, the versions are named JS, JK, and JD, which mean "elementary school girl," "high school girl," and "college girl."

At least his sex and fighting robots power up as they get older, instead of the reverse?

On the other hand, he build an "elementary school girl" model sex and fighting robot.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:31 PM

Default Wow

Here I was, thinking I was inured to anime/manga/etc. But I was wrong.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Fluffy Prince

An explanation as to Chapter 4ís weirdness can be attributed to its writer, Yuichiri Takeda.

(I donít know why I seem to be the only one who doesnít have a problem with this gameís fanservice...)
Old 12-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Good Jo.R.B.!

[extremely I'm reciting the catchphase of an old, disliked sitcom in a diegetic manner voice] Leave it to loserpon!! *does a jazzhands*
Old 12-15-2017, 06:17 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfried View Post
(I donít know why I seem to be the only one who doesnít have a problem with this gameís fanservice...)
Honestly I'm personally pretty offput, myself, by the way people have been reacting. It makes me feel like I'm crazy or something.

The relationship between Tora and Poppi comes across as Tora wanting to have a life of luxury with a maid, and there's enough confirmation that most of the weirdest stuff is his dad and grandfather's (not that I accept that having a taste for maids is inherently weird, either). The heart-to-heart in Tora's house, while likely rewritten, instead says that Bridget and Pyra are objecting to Tora being a furry, because they describe the outfit as a fursuit. And even with that, I point again to above, because Tora doesn't come across otherwise. At least as far as I have been.

Likewise, the outfits in the game are not just pretty conservative compared to some of the other developers in this space, but something I wish I was in the kind of shape to pull off myself. Like, ok? Pyra has short shorts. I wish I could wear short shorts and not look terrible :((((((((((. And that's not even getting into my personal self-consciousness. Dahlia is bad, though. But given the total range of Blades, that's also a pretty diverse set.

Just... ok, thanks folks. Thank you all for treating this like some kind of thing to be ashamed of. I don't even feel comfortable talking about how much I like the game because I feel like I'm going to be run out of town. So I figure I just won't bother reading this thread, either, if it's just going to make me sad.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Boom

It's okay to like problematic things. I enjoyed MGSV, but that didn't make Quiet's character design any less terrible/sexist. Just make an effort to understand why people have a problem with it, at least.

Also, just because some games are more blatant about it doesn't make it okay when others "aren't as bad". They're still bad. I'm honestly more okay with earnestly sexual games like Senran Kagura than I am stuff like, say, putting Samus in high heels for no reason.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:47 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
It's okay to like problematic things. I enjoyed MGSV, but that didn't make Quiet's character design any less terrible/sexist. Just make an effort to understand why people have a problem with it, at least.

Also, just because some games are more blatant about it doesn't make it okay when others "aren't as bad". They're still bad. I'm honestly more okay with earnestly sexual games like Senran Kagura than I am stuff like, say, putting Samus in high heels for no reason.
Definitely agree with this. You can enjoy games featuring problematic content, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you accept it. Like, I tolerated Fiore's boob quilt when I played Star Ocean: Integrity & Faithlessness, but if there was an option to dress her up in a less stupid outfit I'd gladly take it.

And speaking of Quiet, I could've done without Kojima concocting some crazy bullshit excuse for why Naked Sniper Lady is naked.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:22 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfried View Post
An explanation as to Chapter 4ís weirdness can be attributed to its writer, Yuichiri Takeda.

i mean, the issue with chapter 4 isn't that it's weird, it's that it's boring. it falls back on some stock scenarios without actually doing anything interesting with them (the scene where mythra sleep walks into rex's bed and goes all "EEEK A PERVERT I'M GOING TO THROW THINGS COMICALLY" and the whole "kid stole a thing from the party, chase him down, defeat generic bandits" segment), and what plot it does manage to scrounge up makes a very bold assumption that the player cares even a little bit about Rosa and company.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:18 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

I will admit that I was astonished that, in that chapter, a bunch of girls went to a hot spring and nobody peeped or was at all weird about it,
except for Nia's gay catgirl ass.

I didn't think it possible.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:47 PM
so exciting!

The tradition of "go find a defenseless creature that somehow managed to travel halfway across the world, sneak past hordes of high level enemies, and get into places the main character has to jump through hoops to reach" is still alive and well in this installment of Xenoblade. It's not quite as absurd as finding missing pets in X, but it's still like, buddy, I had to pass multiple high jump skill checks and build a bridge out of ice, how did you get here ahead of me??
Old 12-16-2017, 02:53 PM

Default The English dub

That was one of the few hot springs Ch. 4 scenes I've seen that actually served a narrative purpose.

This wouldn't be the first time I've seen an artist's personal fascination make its way into their art. But if I were to ever meet the developer on the team who has a thing for elementary schoolgirls wearing bunny suits and shaking their butt at them, then I would back away very slowly.

Anyway I just started chapter 7 and the voice acting for your team members is pretty darn good. It's a shame that Rex's VA is weak in comparison.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
It's not quite as absurd as finding missing pets in X,
That can be explained by the fact that (XCX spoilers) the pets in that game are robots

(yes, I know it's not actually a good explanation).

Last edited by Juno; 12-16-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:25 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Boy howdy but the quest markers in this game sure love taking me straight to a cliff.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:42 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Oh, I see, I was supposed to go the opposite way of where the quest marker was leading me. Okay.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Pikachu Pirate

Oh man, that's the best. I also love when they lead me directly in the path of a creature sixty levels higher than me.

Honestly, a bosses-and-set-pieces-only version of this game would be great. As it is, 98.6% of the encounters in the game are just damage sponges that are zero fun to fight because they're entirely rote and take forever but then die right before you can finally pull off that massive combo. And that's when you're fighting stuff with level parity even before you start running into areas you don't have the levels for, or accounting for the random level 70+ birds that swoop down out of the sky and OHKO you before you know you're in a fight.

Just great.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Okay, completely lost again. I need help. I'm in chapter 6, in Tantal. My objective says to go through Theospiti Temple Ruins and then to where the Omega Fetter is. I didn't write down Zeke's long explanation, so I've no idea where to go. I looked up a walkthrough, which got me through the back of the city, but then it just says "go down through the area." That's not helpful at all!
Old 12-16-2017, 06:10 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Okay, completely lost again. I need help. I'm in chapter 6, in Tantal. My objective says to go through Theospiti Temple Ruins and then to where the Omega Fetter is. I didn't write down Zeke's long explanation, so I've no idea where to go. I looked up a walkthrough, which got me through the back of the city, but then it just says "go down through the area." That's not helpful at all!
From the Theosoir Main Gate, go straight forward to the Blacksmith and follow along the wall until you can go down. You should be in the southeast of Theosoir on the main map. Follow the awkward path down until you get outside the city. Follow the road/platform south, then head east when you get the chance. You're eventually gonna hit the Twin Pillars, which looks like a dead end, but you need to break the ice up top by walking on it, then knock the big ice pillar down to make a new bridge to get across. Then there's a lot of ruins in a dungeon-like area that you have to navigate and I have no helpful advice for that but the important thing is that you need to be heading downward. Honestly this was the part where I said screw it and burnt through my inn experience to bump my level up to like 50 so I wouldn't have to worry about constant fighting

Anyway after lots of trial and error you should end up in the lower region of Tantal and things should be pretty straight forward from there (I don't know though because I haven't actually moved on with the story since getting to the lower area)
Old 12-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Awesome, thanks so much.

The good news is, I wasted so much time grinding core crystals that hardly any of the enemies here aggro on me. I also have KOS MOS now, so that's neat.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:22 PM
so exciting!

also the maze area has the hool arachnos that brighid needs to level up her fire mastery

it's a good thing the game draws the story-gameplay line at mythra not being able to use her level four special indoors and not like, actually timing you for this sequence.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Yeah I'm definitely loving that you can fast travel anywhere at any time, even if the story has your characters in prison or on a deadline.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:13 PM
so exciting!

Although it doesn't appear there are any unique monsters that only come out during specific weather conditions, it does look like the special weather conditions will make high level enemies appear. For example, during the falling leaves weather in Uraya, all the giraffe things were like, level 80.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:45 PM
Crazy Old Bird

And of course the very next dungeon is yet another obtuse maze.

The interior maps in this game are hell. A bunch of bridges and multiple levels which all look identical, represented on a map which doesn't actually correspond to anything because it's a 2D map of multiple floors at once. I'm staring at the map, and the quest marker is right there, but there's no way to know how to get there because I keep walking into dead ends which aren't on the map.

And of course there are monsters everywhere, now everyone except Tora is severely handicapped. Chapter 7 is not a fun time.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:37 AM
so exciting!

yeah i went ahead and started that dungeon last night with intent to finish it before i went to bed but it just kept going and going and you get to a place that looks like an obvious boss arena but no it's just another giant downward spiral that leads to a place that looks like the door before a boss fight but no it just lead to more dungeon.

also wow tora's voice clip for checking a collection point is horrific

(the secret worst part of chapter 7 is that a lot of blade side quests such are put on hold because that party member is off fucking around away from the team)
Old 12-17-2017, 08:11 AM
disguised king of surfing

Hey I have this game now.

The only thing I'm not sure about right now is how you're supposed to heal effectively, but I think the answer is "blame Dromarch for not doing his job very well", so maybe once I get better Healer-type Blades...
Old 12-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Hey I have this game now.

The only thing I'm not sure about right now is how you're supposed to heal effectively, but I think the answer is "blame Dromarch for not doing his job very well", so maybe once I get better Healer-type Blades...
Dromarch is the best healer in the game, at least from what I've pulled.

You can usually keep up with Anchor Shot and Nia on AI, but if a particular fight is giving you trouble, switch to Nia and move-cancel the first part of her combo to build meter faster. And eat sweets that make your Arts auto-fill.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:39 AM

I suppose "don't fight things that gang up on me" is also a valid rule to follow.

Maybe I should try putting Nia on main anyway, see how it works out. And it seems Dromarch works by doing damage and draining, so maybe give her a muscle belt or attack jewel...
Old 12-17-2017, 09:27 AM
so exciting!

you'll be in much better shape when you get a character who can tank
Old 12-17-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
you'll be in much better shape when you get a character who can tank
Pfeh, who needs that easy mode nonsense

Tags
ashamed of yr words&deeds , don't forget me , don't play anime , get 1/2 through and quit , i like your attitude , i'm not really feeling it , juggs bunny , lol japan , meh meh meh , nintendo switch , poppi power , switch , the kos-most , thin edge of the wedge , think you can take me? , tora is the loserpon , world enough & reyn time , xenoblade one x , xenobreasts chronipples