The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Banned

Even as a young boy I still somehow understood exactly how terrible E.T. was. If the first pit you fall into doesn't convince you, the second one will.

You know what didn't suck though? Combat. It was primitive, sure, but it was 27 games in one! That's impossible! Part of me wishes you could still get away with giving games completely generic names like that. Like FIGHTING. Is there a game called FIGHTING? There should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I did have a venerable TI-99/4A complete with audio cassette drive and blatantly ripped-off cartridge games TI Invaders, Munch Man, Tombstone City, and Alpiner.
We had one of those! My dad brought it home from his engineering job one day (my guess is that his company had something to do with manufacturing them). Unfortunately I can't remember any of the games that we had.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Just call me mop and glow

I had the TI, too. I know we had more but I definitly remember having TI Invaders, Hunt the Wumpus, Q Bert, Donkey Kong (with the pie factory stage), a couple spelling games and some space ship game that I remember shooting purple lazers and having to go through tunnels to fill up gas. (Does anyone know the name of that one?) I got my NES for Christmas when I was in first grade when I was 7 in 1988 so it was previous to that.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
forbidden noise

E.T. is really bad (I have one), but the only reason it gets "worst game ever" talk is because Atari wanted to make sure people would remember it. It could've faded into obscurity, but instead Atari had to say things like "it'll be the game that makes the movie famous!" and dump millions of the carts in New Mexico.

It is, at least, beatable and theoretically playable. It just does an extremely poor job even at those things.

Enough talk about bad games though! Games that are fun!

Surround: simple game where you try and trap the other guy's line with your line, like a versus version of Snake.

Cookie Monster's Cookie Munch: You can be Cookie Monster picking up cookies in a blank maze (boring) or a guy trying to pick up cookies before Cookies Mate does (significantly more entertaining). But the reason this game endures is because it accurately captures the essence of the character, which is to say, it's sooooo funny to watch him eat cookies.

California Games: A bunch of stupid shit like surfing and skateboarding, but with a hilarious and fun BMX course.

Mario Bros: This is just that thing where you stand on a single screen and kill enemies and dodge fireballs. I remembered this is actually really great when I played Mario 3's battle mode earlier this year, except that battle mode is so much more fun by actually allowing you to kill the other guy that I would never play this again.

Adventure: I feel like at this point this game is more for historical interest than actually fun, but I saw my brother beat it when I was like six, so that's really stuck with me.

Jungle Hunt: Simple, short platformer where you swing on ropes and jump over cannibals to rescue some girl or something. Also saw my brother beat this back in the day, but he did it a lot so it wasn't as interesting.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
Jungle Hunt: Simple, short platformer where you swing on ropes and jump over cannibals to rescue some girl or something. Also saw my brother beat this back in the day, but he did it a lot so it wasn't as interesting.
One of my favorite Taito games. I could loop it 2-3 times before it got really hard.

Also, since we're talking 2600 and the like, I have to plug one of my favorite stores, 4Jays.

It's a small family owned place in the town of Antioch (about an hour out of San Francisco), and although I only make it down there once a year or so, I've received superb service each time. They keep a huge inventory of mostly 8-bit stuff and their prices are reasonable. They also have an eBay store if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

I remember playing SwordQuest for hours without knowing what I was doing. Years later I learned this was the main way most people played SwordQuest. (Or was it SolarQuest? Don't remember.)

Adventure is the first game I ever beat. My older cousin got me interested in Zelda because he described it as "like Adventure, but way better". I consider this to be the cornerstone of my love for games that emphasize exploration over action, and is probably the first video game I really, really loved. I need to LP it at some point.

Combat and Indy 500 were personal favorites. And, of course, Warlords. I loved the paddle controller.

Oh yeah, Barnstorming!

The best way to play Atari 2600 games today is to plug a Sega Genesis controller into the port. Unfortunately I no longer have a 2600 or a Genesis controller, but there was a time...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:30 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Is there a game called FIGHTING? There should be.
Oddly, not that I know of, given there was a movie called Fighting a couple months ago pathetically trying to capitalise on the MMA craze.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:10 PM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

My first console was a Coleco Vision, and then the Atari 2600 add-on. I kind of liked ET. Yeah, I had no idea what the fuck I was doing in the game, but I had no idea what the fuck I was doing in 95% of the Atari games I played. Most of them were just bad.

Quote:
Solaris
Solaris had the depth of an NES game, easily.

Too bad it was the only Atari game I can recall (aside from Adventure, maybe) that had a snowball's chance against something like Super Mario Bros.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Banned

I think I remember Vanguard being kind of an awesome Atari game, but it's been so long I'm not sure if that's correct.

It had a great commercial though!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Bald Gendou

Vangard + Adventure = All You Need

I also have an Atari port of Capcom's Commando.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Just bear with me

Konami made three 2600 games, but they were all intensely bad. Hard to believe it's the same Konami that blessed our childhoods with all those great NES games, really.

Sven: No game called Fighting, since fighting games were really beyond the 2600's scope and martial arts weren't hot until the crash of 1984. However, there was a game called Karate (awful) as well as overreaching conversions of Double Dragon and Kung Fu Master in the late 1980s, when the system made a brief comeback. Kung Fu Master wasn't shabby considering the system's limitations. Double Dragon, not so much.

Also, Le Geek, was the person who made your 5200 adapter ProDos8, by chance? He and I collaborated on a similar adapter, with a keypad on the top and a port for a 5200 joystick in case you needed one. He did a really good job of fixing all my mistakes with the circuit board and added a lot of fun bells and whistles to boot.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:18 AM
King Of Space-Time

Smile

I never had an Atari, though most families we were friends with did. What rare times I did get to spend with the system, I tended to gravitate towards the 3rd party games by Imagic and Activision. they usally made better use of graphics, trying to make things look like what they were supposed to be.
I do recall Atari had some decent boxart, like their pulp fiction style paintings for Missle Command, Asteroids and Yar's Revenge. Adventure's art reminded me of the cover art from the Collier edition Narnia books by Roger Hane. The comics included with Centipede and Yar's Revenge made for nice diversions too and fleshed out the typicaly threadbare plots. In Yar's case, it really gave a extra impetus to nail the enemies.

Still, I always suspected Intellevison was the superior system...
Old 06-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Suspected Atarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700
You know what didn't suck though? Combat.
Combat is the best "crappy" game on the system. Two player Tank Pong is still great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia View Post
Solaris had the depth of an NES game, easily.

Too bad it was the only Atari game I can recall (aside from Adventure, maybe) that had a snowball's chance against something like Super Mario Bros.
Solaris is definitely the game with the most depth on system, even if it can be daunting. Pitfall II and HERO both are early precursors to Super Mario, but it's no contest. It also got a decent port of Kung Fu Master.

River Raid always impressed me for how the game never seems to repeat or end, even if the levels are algorithmic.

Mountain King is a pretty fun game in it's own right, but also features a secret glitch world much like Metroid.

If you picked up a Starpath Supercharger (think 3rd party 32X with games on cassette) you could play a much better port of Frogger (and the original Parker Bros cart was pretty good) a fun "first person" maze game called Escape from the Mindmaster and the missing link between Adventure and more advanced action RPGs, Dragonstomper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot
Vangard + Adventure = All You Need

I also have an Atari port of Capcom's Commando.
I find your lack of Megamania or Seaquest...disturbing. ^___^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ
Also, Le Geek, was the person who made your 5200 adapter ProDos8, by chance?
I kind of like Marine Wars, but to each their own. Actually, Rob Mitchell made it as a prototype for AtariAge, he lives down the street from me...
Old 06-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Formerly known as vlad

I had a working Atari 2600 that was at my parents' house. The only thing that didn't work were the controllers. We had some real classics...Space Invaders, Super Breakout, Pitfall 1 and 2, Combat, and many others.

I use the past tense because apparently when my parents moved to Colorado last summer, they got rid of it. I don't know the details, but I'm under the impression right now that they just threw it out. A functioning Atari 2600 which had been my first taste of video gaming, and they didn't even consult me.

*sigh*
Old 06-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Adventure [...] I need to LP it at some point.
Do iiiit, dooooo iiiiittt.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:34 PM
King Of Space-Time

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Do iiiit, dooooo iiiiittt.
No! Enunciate! like this

DO EET! DO EET!
Old 06-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by le geek View Post
Mountain King is a pretty fun game in it's own right, but also features a secret glitch world much like Metroid.

If you picked up a Starpath Supercharger (think 3rd party 32X with games on cassette) you could play a much better port of Frogger (and the original Parker Bros cart was pretty good) a fun "first person" maze game called Escape from the Mindmaster and the missing link between Adventure and more advanced action RPGs, Dragonstomper.
The only place to play Mountain King is on the 5200 (or its close cousin, the Atari XL/XE computer). It's an entrancing experience there... nearly everywhere else, the game is complete crap due to chunky scrolling that takes all the magic out of the exploration. The VIC-20 version looks pretty good, but it's hard to tell for sure when no emulator seems capable of handling it.

Also, you do the Supercharger a huge disservice by comparing it to the 32X! That comparison is valid on a very fundamental level, but games on the Supercharger drastically improved from their unexpanded 2600 counterparts, while 32X games really didn't. Who knew a little extra memory was all it took to turn the humble Atari 2600 into a juggernaut of its time? Best of all, the Supercharger can be plugged into a CD player, bringing the system into the age of disc-based media. This gadget was extremely forward thinking for its time... the only peripheral that tops it in that regard was the modem that AOL's precursor developed for the 2600, and I don't believe it was actually released.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:25 PM

I won an Atari 2600 and a mess of games when I was a baby, so really it was more like my dad won an Atari. I remember it in a vague sense. Adventure seemed really epic. (My mom just told me today that everyone thought at the time that the little music it played at the beginning was so cool.) But really I spent more time gnawing on the controllers than playing.

Several years later my mom talked me into giving the Atari lot to my Uncle, because I now had a NES. I didn't really care until I got to college and got into retro stuff. I thought about asking my Uncle about it when he moved recently, but I'd bet any money that it ended up in his shed, and therefore it was a waterlogged lost cause.

But yesterday I got really lucky and found an Atari 2600 in great shape (with its box even!) and several games at a yard sale. I picked up a little thingy from Radio Shack this morning, and with much fiddling I got the unit working.

It feels really weird to not have title screens or anything, and so so does pressing reset to start your selected game mode.

Game I got with the system:
Space invaders: Seems ok! I think the invaders were starting pretty low to the ground.
Missile Command: I like it! It's surprisingly dire with all of the nuclear annihilation stuff. (Today I told my dad it was dark and he told me to adjust the color.)
Night Driver: It's freaky. You drive in first person extremely fast and frequently crash into stuff. Some sort of drunk driver simulation.
Pac-Man: This is not very good Pac-Man. (However, the illustrations in the manual are adorable.) But it is still tons more fun than...
Blackjack: You select Hit or Pass. For some reason you need the paddle to do this.
Bowling: Meh.
Combat: This will be fun if I can rope someone into the player two slot.

There also was this ridiculous cart caddy that came with the system. You press a button and your cartridge is pushed out of it. You can very easily send them flying if you use enough pressure. It amuses me quite a bit.

Now I just have to find someplace I can find more games for it.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Just bear with me

The guy who created Missile Command and Tempest, Dave Theurer, based those games on nightmares he had. The Missile Command dream was pretty obvious, but the Tempest dream was Dave fighting hungry monsters crawling out of a pit, hoping to drag him into the inky black void.

His latest real-life nightmare, however, was a creepy stalker who's pretty much driven him out of the video game business. I don't think Dave even attends conventions anymore because of him.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:40 AM
Not a Beer

But... there already is a game called "Stalker", so I just don't see how that's going to work out.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:20 AM
Suspected Atarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
The only place to play Mountain King is on the 5200
Hmm, I need to track the 5200 version down...do the other versions have the secret world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Also, you do the Supercharger a huge disservice by comparing it to the 32X!
I stand by my analogy. They both noticeably improve the original hardware capabilities. AND in both cases, stand alone carts (with chips inside) were made for the systems that ALMOST matched what the add-ons could do (Genesis Virtua Racing, the better Atari carts with a Superchip).

The difference is that the small Supercharger library is just about completely awesome with only a few duds, and the 32x library's ratio of wheat to chaff is average at best.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Very punny.

I bought my mom and sisters a mint-in-box Atari that I found at Play N Trade for Christmas last year. As far as I know, it hasn't been hooked up yet, but I really want to see how horrible Pac Man looks on my mom's LCD.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Fun Club Agent

My uncle just bestowed upon me a windfall of Atari games he found. They include:

Assembler Editor
Defender
E.T. Phone Home!
Missile Command
Qix
Space Invaders
Star Raiders
Super Breakout

Not that it helps me any considering I don't have an Atari, but it's still cool.

Thought I'd share!
Old 07-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake View Post

Assembler Editor
Dude, make an Atari game!!!!
Old 06-17-2017, 09:24 AM
King Of Space-Time

*Phoenix Down*

So... This is a thing.

Via Polygon

Atari is making a new game console

Old 06-17-2017, 09:49 AM
Find Your Reason

Faux wood paneling?

I'm in.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:58 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

This is going to be either amazing or terrible
Old 06-17-2017, 11:24 AM
Sega CD version is better

The website for has an email link for developers curious about the platform, so whatever this is, it's more than just a NES Classic for Atari.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Bertolli?!?...

This is your regularly scheduled reminder that the company currently known as Atari has absolutely no relation to the company that we knew and loved, and is pretty much just a board of directors in France with a stated goal of leveraging brand name nostalgia for profit.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Video Monster

OK older timers. I admit that being a kid in from the late 80s/early 90s with no older siblings, I've never seen the appeal of this home console generation. I owned an Intellivision for a while, but I sold it when I realized that I didn't really enjoy any of the games.

Those of you who like games of this era, explain the appeal to me. What do you love about them? Even "because I play it as a kid" is fine.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:39 PM
King Of Space-Time

Well to be fair there was a lot crap on the 2600, but just as in the NES days, certain publisher could be counted on to really deliver. Those being Activision and iMagic. Both really pushed the system and deliver some great games. River Run was pretty iconic as well as Pitfall, a cross-platform hit. iMagic's Space Ark and Atlantis also were loads of fun.

Tags
wood grain