The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Highway To HFIL

I'm happy that my favorite comic villain is playable, and now I just need confirmation that my favorite comic hero is back.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:30 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post

I was recently made aware of this game, an Italian PC release from the late 1990s. I guess it's supposed to be a parody of the genre, but most of the alleged jokes either don't translate well to English or try way too hard to be zany. It's borderline painful to watch.
Goddamn is that some pretty sweet sprite art, though. Whatever problems the comedy may have, there was definitely a lot of effort put into the animation and art direction.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:23 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Goddamn is that some pretty sweet sprite art, though. Whatever problems the comedy may have, there was definitely a lot of effort put into the animation and art direction.
Did a better fucking job than Clayfighter...
Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Just bear with me

That almost goes without saying...

The gold standard for fighting game satire has to go to Pocket Fighter, but I'd be willing to give the silver or bronze to Fightin' Spirit, an old Amiga game.

It's a pretty close copy of SNK fighters from the time, but the characters are just ridiculous enough (a girl with dolphin powers! Rugal's torso pasted onto King's legs!) and the dialog is just odd enough to make me think that the developers weren't going for a straight clone. You can't use a term like "one thought was pincering his mind" and tell me that it wasn't a deliberate mockery of the awkward English in the South Town series.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:32 PM
Come, noble knights!

Thanks to some PS+ prices that were a steal, I now own both Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- and Skullgirls 2nd Encore. If anyone's up for a match on either one sometime, I'm game.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
I'm happy that my favorite comic villain is playable, and now I just need confirmation that my favorite comic hero is back.
I'm not sure that Shark Girl is high-profile enough for a gig like this.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:12 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Thanks to some PS+ prices that were a steal, I now own both Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- and Skullgirls 2nd Encore. If anyone's up for a match on either one sometime, I'm game.
add "TheRealRiotEXE"

EDIT:

Joker about to shoot up ALL of the schools...

Last edited by Riot.EXE; 04-28-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 AM

So I got injustice a few days early. I really like some of the new characters like Cheetah and Swamp Thing, though I'm counting the minutes til I unlock better looking gear for the former.

Most of the returnees have the same moveset coming back in, which is probably a first for an NRS game and appreciated, though no one really replaces both my IJ1 mains (Raven and Luthor). Story's alright, facial animation in the cutscenes can be really good at some points, a huge step up from MKX which was probably being animated with cross-gen performance in mind back then. Still get your typical uncanny valley stuff, though. Resolution drops like a rock during super moves on my xbox, at least it's quick enough to not notice but man.

Other than that, I 'unno! It's more of the same! Which is nice, there's tech rolls in mid air you can spend meter on now which is a welcome change considering in I1 you had to burn your one clash to escape from air combos.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:05 AM
World of Darkness Returns

My only real question is how is the story mode? I'm shit for competitive in NRS games, but I had fun with a long form DCAU through the lens of Mortal Kombat story in the first game.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:10 AM

I didn't like IJ1's storyline (or MKX once the outworld politics storyline ended), but so far this one is a lot better: it moves faster, some of the animation is pretty high quality, even in batman's stupid armored cowl you can see the wrinkles in his face around his mouth when he speaks, and I'm only 3 chapters in but so far no nonsense QTEs. You get your heroes interacting with some quips and typical superhero arguments too (But WHY won't you kill Bruce I'm your son damien listen to me, "no"). A LOT of talk about the Red and the Green which I thought was already mostly forgotten by DC by this point.

The only thing I don't like so far and it's a DCEU gripe in general is I really, really don't like Tara Strong's take on Harley. She sounds too much like a child. And since it's Harley, there's a lot of her so far.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:14 AM
Mystery Contraption

Are the cutscenes for the super-attacks still excessively long? Seeing Doomsday punhnsomeone all the way through the entire planet loses its appeal after the first dozen times or so. That was my only complaint with the first game.

That and the weird glitch where it looked like there was a mini game about Superman blowing up occupied cars before fighting someone.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:23 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Are the cutscenes for the super-attacks still excessively long? Seeing Doomsday punhnsomeone all the way through the entire planet loses its appeal after the first dozen times or so. That was my only complaint with the first game.

That and the weird glitch where it looked like there was a mini game about Superman blowing up occupied cars before fighting someone.
The supers are still cutscenes (have you not watched the trailers!?!). I don't know about story-mode QTE bullshit, though.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:36 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
(have you not watched the trailers!?!)[/I]
Not as a general rule, no.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:25 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I want to play Injustice 2, but I know what their game is long term so I'll probably just rent it from Redbox and maybe buy it when the ultimate edition comes out in 8 months.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Halfway through story mode:

-Consistently surprised how well animated it is in cutscenes: Ivy, Harley and Catwoman especially. Someone on the team is a big fan of the Gotham City Sirens. Facial expressions look pretty natural even if actual script and direction is a dud sometimes. Hair looks terrible in most occasions.

-No QTEs

-They definitely cut a good deal of I1's story, for the better. There's no mention of superman drugs (though they say he was fought with 'nano-technology'), or another superman stepping in to fix everything that went wrong. Basic timeline seems to be Metropolis bombed, Superman killed Joker, went bad, at least killed Shazam and Lex Luthor (who is missed), was defeated cause Flash defected, WW and black adam worked with him and ran off, the rest got locked up, Flash was pardoned but forced to retire, I2 starts.

Needless to say, this is a huge improvement over where I1's story was going, and it's lot easier to follow than 1's story of multiple earths and superman drugs. I don't even think they mention anything about Green Arrow's plot in the first one but he's here and with Black Canary in tow and they have an entertaining chapter.

-Like the human Kung Lao or spectral Scorpion in MKX, it seems Joker was just put in cause he's a fan favorite and has little to nothing to do as far as actually being a player in the plot.

-I know little about this new incarnation of Blue Beetle and Firestorm, but they're handled pretty well, and come off as young and inexperienced a lot better than the 'techni-cool kidz' of MKX did.

Overall, this continues the trend of NRS improving on this from game to game, I think this might surpass MK9 as their best stab at this interactive story line thing.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ĦHarlequinPanic! View Post
Halfway through story mode:

-Consistently surprised how well animated it is in cutscenes: Ivy, Harley and Catwoman especially. Someone on the team is a big fan of the Gotham City Sirens. Facial expressions look pretty natural even if actual script and direction is a dud sometimes. Hair looks terrible in most occasions.

-No QTEs

-They definitely cut a good deal of I1's story, for the better. There's no mention of superman drugs (though they say he was fought with 'nano-technology'), or another superman stepping in to fix everything that went wrong. Basic timeline seems to be Metropolis bombed, Superman killed Joker, went bad, at least killed Shazam and Lex Luthor (who is missed), was defeated cause Flash defected, WW and black adam worked with him and ran off, the rest got locked up, Flash was pardoned but forced to retire, I2 starts.

Needless to say, this is a huge improvement over where I1's story was going, and it's lot easier to follow than 1's story of multiple earths and superman drugs. I don't even think they mention anything about Green Arrow's plot in the first one but he's here and with Black Canary in tow and they have an entertaining chapter.

-Like the human Kung Lao or spectral Scorpion in MKX, it seems Joker was just put in cause he's a fan favorite and has little to nothing to do as far as actually being a player in the plot.

-I know little about this new incarnation of Blue Beetle and Firestorm, but they're handled pretty well, and come off as young and inexperienced a lot better than the 'techni-cool kidz' of MKX did.

Overall, this continues the trend of NRS improving on this from game to game, I think this might surpass MK9 as their best stab at this interactive story line thing.
I still miss Hawkgirl, though. (Hey, is the Alternate Control option still there?)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:37 PM

Yes, as is toggling negative edge.

I also miss hawkgirl but I feel like a lot of the characters have the moveset she had except for the nth mace.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:21 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Yes
OH THANK FUCKIN' HEAVENS!
Old 05-14-2017, 09:44 AM

The final fight in the storyline is infuriating. old school KOF levels of frustration against the boss.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:41 PM
Mystery Contraption

Got Injustice 2. Never been too keyed in to the finer details of the mechanics of fighting games, but I'm having fun so far. Feels more like a regular fighting game any any other Netherealm game I've played. Kind of glad there's customization available for costumes because a chunk of the redesigns are pretty fugly. Batman, yeesh, what have they done with you?

So whose gonna to start a Talking Time guild?
Old 05-16-2017, 07:08 PM
The Man Series: Brofist

Quote:
The final fight in the storyline is infuriating. old school KOF levels of frustration against the boss.
NRS bosses for me have always been extremely obnoxious. I think I hate Shao Kahn more than Rugal at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Got Injustice 2. Never been too keyed in to the finer details of the mechanics of fighting games, but I'm having fun so far. Feels more like a regular fighting game any any other Netherealm game I've played. Kind of glad there's customization available for costumes because a chunk of the redesigns are pretty fugly. Batman, yeesh, what have they done with you?

So whose gonna to start a Talking Time guild?
I'd throw in with a TT guild. Not sure how much I'll play Injustice 2 but I'm looking forward to running shenanigans with Black Canary when I can.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:11 AM

already getting hatemail as Cheetah. Easy 50% 1-meter combo with her trait active. Life is gud
Old 05-17-2017, 07:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Oh damn! Dex-Starr is in this game!

Oh damn, Dex-Starr is technically playable!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Mystery Contraption

Okay; created a Talking Tyrants guild on PS4, you need to be at least at level 5 to join but that means you just played enough to get past the tutorial;

ID is D8HNP
Old 05-23-2017, 07:18 AM

KoFXIV Steam Beta* has started and as far as I can tell its just the PS4 version with some graphical options. You get absolutely everything now, every character / stage / mode so its not restricted like a lot of other betas (*coughSFVcough*) to online only, you could just hop in and blow through the story mode or mess around in training or whatever.

Anyway, I'm always down for a round if anyone is interested.

*Buy the game, get the beta immediately
Old 06-02-2017, 08:41 PM

So anyone pick up tekken 7? If so what system pc or PS4? I know PS4 has that tempting jukebox mode.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:45 PM

I went with PC when I heard I could super sample and that the PS4 version was locked at like, 900p max.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:28 AM
Vigilante All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
So anyone pick up tekken 7? If so what system pc or PS4? I know PS4 has that tempting jukebox mode.
PS4. Get at me.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
PS4. Get at me.
I picked it up on pc since It was slightly cheaper for the deluxe. I'll probably pick up a PS4 copy soon.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:48 AM

You can tell me I'm playing this game wrong all you want, but this speaks for itself.

Tags
#yolo , ark system works , at ease losah , capcom , capcom killed my family , cheep cheep is cheap , coffee hates casuals , dizzy stay out , fighting games , fuck conveyance , i'd like some pancakes , im getting motivated , no gurls allowed , projectiles are cheap , respect my footsies , scrubbing bubbles , shoutouts to shoutouts , shoutouts to tags , teleporting is cheap , throwing is cheap , tires don't exits , what about mega man? , with the greatest of ease , yolo