The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-04-2017, 01:05 PM

Odallus is pretty good. I can see all the Castlevania inspiration, and until I got to this boss that's pretty much Chill Penguin + Launch Octopus, I didn't really see any Mega Man inspiration. But now I see that and it's fun and funny, even if that boss is way too hard for me.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Shadow's soundtrack is fucking incredible, no doubt.

I also like how relatively restrained it is in its Gritty Reimagining of the Sonic world - people say "damn" and Shadow is moody and has a gun, but everybody else is roughly in character from Adventure 2 and Heroes and the story's general tone isn't actually much darker than the Adventure games, presentation aside
Old 07-04-2017, 04:20 PM

Some folks in IRC recommended Solitairica to me, and I've been enjoying that quite a bit. I'm not very good at it, but it's entertaining and breezy, and is pretty much the Roguelite Puzzle Quest, But With Solitaire that I hadn't known I wanted.

I guess I was in the mood to binge on card games during the Steam sale, because I also ended up grabbing Dream Quest. Sure, the art style mostly looks like placeholder art, but so far my experience with it is that it does the Desktop Dungeons with Deckbuilding thing better than Guild of Dungeoneers does. The learning curve can be a little steep since some monster types have abilities which will allow them to absolutely wreck your face if you go up against them with the wrong deck composition; then again, getting horribly murdered by a new monster isn't terrible when you're playing a game that lasts maybe 15 minutes. The card battles are short but have a fair amount of depth to them, and the meta progression is sort of interesting, too; you typically unlock new classes and cards through achievements (though after every game you do earn coins that can be used to unlock things if you don't want to bother with the associated achievements.) Overall, I've found it to be a pretty entertaining game, especially for those moments when I have a few minutes for a game but don't want to play anything long and involved
Old 07-04-2017, 04:26 PM
New Video World is out!

Old 07-04-2017, 09:22 PM

Super Princess Peach is so good! Dang!! It's FUN and NICE LOOKING!

I feel the obvious problem of it being ridiculously sexist would have been solved by just making it Super Baby Peach. Babies feel big emotions! That's funny, instead of disheartening.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:33 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post

I feel the obvious problem of it being ridiculously sexist would have been solved by just making it Super Baby Peach. Babies feel big emotions! That's funny, instead of disheartening.
oh man

just wait until the ending

i didn't think they could say that in a nintendo game
Old 07-05-2017, 05:35 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Super Robot Peach
Super Batman Peach
Old 07-05-2017, 07:13 AM
It's all good, man

Resident Evil Revelations 2 has some annoying elements but I'm glad it proves that RE6 was a fluke and not Capcom spontaneously forgetting how to make an enjoyable, tense horror action game.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Video Monster

Fortune Street is video game Monopoly with Mario and Dragon Quest, it was maybe the dumbest and worst game I've played in years, but somehow I had fun playing it with three other people for a bunch of hours yesterday
Old 07-05-2017, 09:41 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Resident Evil Revelations 2 has some annoying elements but I'm glad it proves that RE6 was a fluke and not Capcom spontaneously forgetting how to make an enjoyable, tense horror action game.
I love it so much do you want to talk about how good it is and it being the BEST thing
Old 07-05-2017, 09:58 AM
It's all good, man

It has the collecting resources-fighting enemies-running low during a boss fight loop down pat.

There was a message on a load screen about how you handle enemies in Claire's campaign affects Barry's. Do you know what that means?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:05 AM
New Video World is out!

Yeah. It's really minor but small things like using or springing traps in some areas of Claire's side of each episode can hold over into Barry's side of each episode. The flame trap area in the prison is one of them
Old 07-05-2017, 10:13 AM
It's all good, man

I thought it was implying the enemies themselves would change, but maybe not. There have been a couple times when I spotted an item with Claire that wasn't obviously for Barry (like in a box that Natalia opens), but I couldn't get to and realized later was intended for him. It's kind of weird but neat when it works.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:38 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Fortune Street is video game Monopoly with Mario and Dragon Quest, it was maybe the dumbest and worst game I've played in years, but somehow I had fun playing it with three other people for a bunch of hours yesterday
Fortune Street is only fun with others. The AI is too smart, even on the dumbest setting, and not being able to play off of your friends/family on the couch drains the game of any charm it has.

I still drag my Wii U with me to family gatherings because we just might decide to play some Fortune Street.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
There was a message on a load screen about how you handle enemies in Claire's campaign affects Barry's. Do you know what that means?
I think if you clear out those organic land mines with Moira's flashlight, they won't be there when Barry comes through. Barry also won't have to deal with a certain boss if you kill it instead of running away in Claire game, but that's probably only viable on New Game +.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

I'm playing the SNES version of Megami Tensei, which is part of Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei, because I found out it had a English translation.

It's pretty good! It's not an SMT game, except for when it is. It's more like "what if your party members in Wizardry were demons?" I'm like level 18 and have nearly 65 HP. Also, even though it still boils down to "give gifts and hope," talking has a lot of options in Megami Tensei. You have the option to do most of the things demons prompt you to do in later SMT games. It's ultimately just as random, but it feels less so because I'm the one deciding that I should put my weapons away then give them a thing.

Honestly, though, the thing I'm most enjoying is that I decided to play as my evil character from Fallout New Vegas, the sociopathic cannibal that every settlement still loves for some reason, Richard "DICK WANG" Wang. Sadly, Dick has so far been unable to frame someone for killing and eating their son so he could freely kill and eat their son. (As a friend of mine said, "Do not cross or appear tasty to Dick Wang. Dick Wang is a master of false imprisonment and fleeeeeesh.")

I'm twenty-seven, why do you ask?
Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 PM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post

Yeah, if you look past the whole Girl = Emotion thing, it's quite a decent game in a vaguely Yoshi's Island kind of vein. Just be forewarned that there's a mandatory collectathon.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:46 AM
if-then-eels

I don't recall where I read it, here or twitter or somewhere else, but I think it's interesting that it's possible to read the game as saying that it's one of peach's strengths that she's very good at controlling and channeling her emotions, rather than bound to them helplessly

Now, if there were a DS Mario game where Mario's only emotion were to hulk out and destroy everything in his path, that might bring the analogy completely home

hm waitaminute
Old 07-08-2017, 01:59 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Yeah, I've seen that read, too. Plus it's not just Peach that's affected, right? There are super emotion'd Goombas and stuff, as I understand. Kind of like the [Power Up] Goombas from 3D Super Mario Land / World.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pity there's an inexplicable limit on it because the NG+ in Final Fantasy IV DS sure let's you get up to some shenanigans with Augments.

Gave Cecil Reach, Draw Attacks and Counter and sat him in the backrow defending each turn. Nothing can scratch him and he just knocks them the h*ck out in rapid succession.

Doesn't work that well with magical enemies, mind, but 90% of all non-boss encounters are less than nothing
Old 07-13-2017, 11:03 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

On one hand, the useful attack magic in Megami Tensei costs too damn much.

On the other hand, Recarm revives people with full HP AND MP. Once you have two party members with it, you have infinite MP.

And that's why Yumiko is standing in the front, being a walking nuke until Anubis needs to give her a pick-me-up. The hero's job is now exclusively shuffling the party around.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:30 AM
Bertolli?!?...

The Final Station is really good, ya'll. Has anyone else even played it? I couldn't put it down once I started. It's a 2D pixel-art survival horror game where you play a commuter train driver who gets conscripted by the army/government to deliver dangerous cargo when some kind of mysterious zombie(?) apocalypse breaks out. The game is divided into two discrete gameplay sections, with on-foot explorations to find survivors/supplies and shoot zombies interspersed with train travel where you have to feed and bandage passengers while maintaining the train. Passengers that make it to the next safe station alive reward you with supplies and money (which you can use to purchase more supplies). The story is left pretty vague, dolloped out by notes, environmental story-telling, and chatter among the survivors on your train, and the whole thing is very minimalist (including lacking any kind of tutorial). It's tense and atmospheric and I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Really my only beef with it is that there's way too much going on at once when you're on the train. It's difficult to take in the scenery (which is often conveying part of the story) and listen to dialogue while also making sure that everyone stays alive and that the train doesn't blow up.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Video Monster

That looks fantastic.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:01 AM
Chief Servbot

Yeah, it really does.

And it has s PS4 port! Happy day
Old 07-15-2017, 01:11 AM
Out Of Warranty

It was part of the free game "pot" MS was giving away for E3, too.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Cool Bunny

I've been playing Mega Drive OutRun for a while and having a good time, so I got the 3DS version, and man,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
OUTRUN

WIND IN MY HAIR

TOP SPEED

FEELIN GOOD
It's pretty great. I don't usually play 3DS with the 3D on because my eyes tire pretty quickly and it doesn't add all that much, but OutRun is like the perfect game for it. It looks incredible and it only takes five minutes to finish a run, less if like me you're too rubbish to finish, so my eyes don't get fatigued from the 3D.

I also gave Maldita Castilla a shot afterwards while I still had the 3D on and it's got a really neat effect where the gameplay area is framed in an image of an arcade cabinet. I'm not sure how to describe it but it looks like a screen behind glass.

Maybe I should be using the 3D more.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:53 AM
if-then-eels

Playing the scaler games with 3d on is highly recommended
Old 07-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Just bear with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
I've been playing Mega Drive OutRun for a while and having a good time, so I got the 3DS version, and man.
That's quite an upgrade! The Genesis has no hardware scaling and rotation, while the 3DS was built especially for 3D. I'm sure you've noticed a big jump in the quality of, well, everything.

I'm terrible at OutRun, but the difficulty setting in the 3DS version means that even I can see the endings. Usually the driver gets humiliated in some way... poor guy just can't catch a break.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Crabjörn

Unravel was a pretty good art game.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

Megami Tensei 2 is significantly more MegaTen than Megai Tensei 1, and it's pretty great! The post-apocalypse as depicted in Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei is gorgeous, with its blood-stained walls, small pockets of survivors, and the perpetually stormy sunken Tokyo. Recruitment and fusion is considerably more frequent, supported by more demons actually appearing in the game, rather than being fusion-only buddies.

Tags
everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity