The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 02-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I pretty much read comedy-serials at the moment, Schlock Mercenary and Goats and Skin Horse andGirl Genius. Anyone have any other serial suggestions?

Also, I was wondering what you TT webcartoonists think is the best way to start publishing a webcomic, with a personal website or one of the free communities? Right now I'm leaning towards Webcomics Nation.

(I'd also very much like to read everyone's webcomics)
Old 02-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Loves to Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavir View Post
I feel like I will be the only person who still does, but goddammit, I still read Megatokyo.
I actually still do as well, although mostly from sheer inertia, as it's one of the first webcomics I actually started reading. I've found that by far the best way of reading this is to ignore it completely for about a month, and then read the backlog (of 3-4 pages. Zing!) in one fell swoop. The characters do actually develop a bit, though I have to admit that Gallagher has a nasty habit of taking this way too far and giving every minor character and their dog a backstory and romantic interest that conveniently overlaps with the main plot. Sometimes he even does this at the expense of the main characters - somewhere along the way, Largo went from an eccentric but functional alcoholic with a somewhat loose grip on reality to a more 1-dimensional delusional sociopath (I can't help but think that the departure of Rodney Caston had something to do with that transition). Overall, though, solid enough.

On that note, I also still read Sluggy Freelance. To shamelessly steal from remarks made by Parish a while back: sure, the art is kind of mediocre and the writing a bit inconsistent, but Abrams has totally nailed the characters by now, and he is extraordinarily good at juggling long-running plot threads (sometimes over intervals of years) without resorting to a snail's-paced update schedule. It's at least worth a minute or two of my day.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:36 AM
zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
also worthy of note is the abominable, which is probably one of the most well-drawn and clever comics i've seen on the web!
this. is. AWESOME>>!!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSpriteX View Post
I pretty much read comedy-serials at the moment, Schlock Mercenary and Goats and Skin Horse andGirl Genius. Anyone have any other serial suggestions?

Also, I was wondering what you TT webcartoonists think is the best way to start publishing a webcomic, with a personal website or one of the free communities? Right now I'm leaning towards Webcomics Nation.

(I'd also very much like to read everyone's webcomics)
Well, there's the already oft-mentioned Dr. McNinja.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Well, there's the already oft-mentioned Dr. McNinja.
Oh, yeah. I read that too. I just typically pick it up once a month to read a whole story instead of three times a week to read just one page.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Time for singing

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliam View Post
this. is. AWESOME>>!!!!
It was at this point that I was won over.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Fuck you. That's my name.

For me it was the skunk giving a sly thumbs-up after his product placement ad. HILARIOUS. I'm hooked!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

The yeti comic is pretty insanely great. I love his little fox friend.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey guy.

I think someone namedropped it in the religion thread already, but for those who aren't following our civil sortie, Sinfest is a wonderful, wonderful comic. Case in point.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Fuck you. That's my name.

After faithfully reading SinFest for at least 3 years, I just had to drop it. (Same with 8-bit theater, which I did in fact name-drop in the last thread about webcomics). I couldn't bear to see another storyline where Slick gets this close to not fucking things up with Whatshername (Monique?). The lack of character development in the end killed it for me- storyline after storyline of the same shit. It was just too much. I always enjoyed a plot involving Satan (even in my pre-atheist days), so those I will laud. But otherwise... has anything changed? Should I pick it back up?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 PM
gatchapon 3*

Well, Sinfest is the best hindu webcomic out there, and i read it religiously. Its not really a comic you read for story, but more for good feeling. It's pretty much my consistant favorite.

Lately, though, gunnerkrigg court has been the super amazing story comic of forever.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Hey guy.

He introduced Buddha a while back, and that was enough to keep me from dropping it. The little guy sort of served as a shot in the arm to the series's development. The human cast is actually developing little by little (I haven't seen a Slick-Monique romance plot in I don't know how long), and Buddha has been a fun catalyst to throw into the more religiously themed strips.

Still, I wouldn't go as far as to say you should get back into it if you really lost interest so completely. For me the sheer variety of stuff he pulls is interesting enough for me to stick around through the repetitive (kanji strips, for example), even when some of his characters need to stay shallow to keep them useful as archetypes.

I'm also a sucker for his bouncy style shifts, even within the same strip- the last panel of the one I linked to with the Dragon and Buddha kills me.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
certified comics master

Woo, thanks for recommending The Abominable Charles Christopher, Zodar. I loved it and now I've got it bookmarked.

Just about every comic I currently read and used to read has been linked to already, so I guess the only thing I really have to offer is Dragon Tails (absolutely no relation to the PBS kids' show). It's a lighthearted gag strip featuring a group of young dragon siblings. It's been running for quite some time, and it just came back from a long hiatus. Currently it's in the midst of a fun RPG parody, but most of the storylines aren't like that.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:12 PM
grab me some popcorn

I am always overwhelmed by a compelling need to name drop Lackadaisy Cats. I don't read webcomics anymore really (which is convenient because Lackadaisy takes forever to update). I was really into them in highschool but a series of events involving the a ton of comics I was following ending, moving onto subscription only sites, and being put on permanent hiatus turned me off from the medium almost completely.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
I was sold after the first page. A cat running a speakeasy? Why is this guy not a millionaire!?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
utada hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
I was sold after the first page. A cat running a speakeasy? Why is this guy not a millionaire!?
Oh my good goodness that artwork is incredible.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Bug/Flying

I used to be hella into webcomics, but I gave up on a lot of them after finding out most of them were made my jerks, sucked outright, or both.

I still read Buttercup Festival, though.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungwene View Post
I am always overwhelmed by a compelling need to name drop Lackadaisy Cats.
You dick, there goes the rest of my workday. And probably tomorrow's too.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:53 PM
twinkling photon

sinfest is garfield with swearing and "atheist deal w/ it" religious edginess

art's good though!
Old 02-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringworm View Post
You dick, there goes the rest of my workday. And probably tomorrow's too.
This is definitely the kind of comic that takes twice as long as normal, since I spend at least as much time analyzing the artwork as I do reading the text.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb0070 View Post
After faithfully reading SinFest for at least 3 years, I just had to drop it. (Same with 8-bit theater, which I did in fact name-drop in the last thread about webcomics). I couldn't bear to see another storyline where Slick gets this close to not fucking things up with Whatshername (Monique?). The lack of character development in the end killed it for me- storyline after storyline of the same shit. It was just too much. I always enjoyed a plot involving Satan (even in my pre-atheist days), so those I will laud. But otherwise... has anything changed? Should I pick it back up?
I check in on it from time to time, and about six months ago Slick decided that he was a jerk and that he didn't deserve Monique unless he grew up, leaving his pig friend on the periphery in the process. It's still pretty slow, but I think there's some character development going on there.

Of the comics that haven't yet been mentioned, I read Basic Instructions, Order of the Stick and Something Positive. Websnark's also lurched back into life and is doing a feature on a selection of cartoonists and their strengths and weaknesses. He actually seems mostly right on so far, in that there's a lot of decent strips he still reads but he articulates exactly why they're not awesome.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
this is pretty okay but the art gradually gets worse for some reason? also the sheep pretty much points out the joke at the end of each strip
The only art problem I see is just the inking. For some reason, it looks shaky these days.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:48 PM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
The only art problem I see is just the inking. For some reason, it looks shaky these days.
i think the problem is that the artist went from coloring everything with the brush on another layer, which is more time consuming, to using the paint bucket, which is much easier but doesn't look nearly as good
Old 02-29-2008, 11:09 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonReel View Post
I
I didn't realize that there were new comics.

Yes! One of my favorite strips is back!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:27 PM
We just don't know.

Most of these have been mentioned offhand, but Minus, Rice Boy and Gunnerkrigg Court are some of the best comics on the web right now. I'm also partial to Dresden Codak. Lackadaisy Cats is indeed gorgeous, but updates like once every two months or something.

For something not yet mentioned, might I recommed Lucid TV. If you like your humor like your men, black and strong and deeply offensive, you'll love Lucid TV.

I'm also partial to Scary Go Round.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
For something not yet mentioned, might I recommed Lucid TV. If you like your humor like your men, black and strong and deeply offensive, you'll love Lucid TV.
I totally mentioned it! Don't you take that away from me!
Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapillonReel View Post
I remember reading that in my college newspaper; I think he went to my school.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 PM
We just don't know.

Dear Guy,

I'm sorry.

~Paul
Old 02-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Just Talking Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healy View Post
Anyway, on the subject of relatively unknown good webcomics I suggest you guys check out this new gaming webcomic!(NSFW, at times.) I really like the latest one with proper British Pacman.
I can't even begin to explain how good this comic makes me feel. I find this one particularly charming.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 PM
D=

Holy shit, I was lurking in the Gaming Webcomics thread over at Something Awful when this one comic called Minus World was posted. "Hey," I said to myself, "don't I remember that comic from somewhere?" Turns out the dude who made it used to post at the old Talking Time and he posted some pages of it there. Sort of awesome that I remembered something so obscure.

Tags
comics , cucumber quest , die in obscurity , fear of crowdfunding , fear of new threads , horrible carrot noses , kc green suicide watch , lim-bo! , penny arcade , webcomics