The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-11-2017, 11:54 AM
jiggery-pokery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
I've heard...HEARD, HAVE NOT PERSONALLY CONFIRMED OR ANYTHING...that ironically, from a very strict min-max type of mindset, Balthier is the worst character to give guns to and Fran is the worst character to give a bow to because their weapon animations for their respective signature weapons have more flourish and showmanship and thus take slightly longer than other characters using those same guns and bows, and over the space of a long battle this could technically add up into a one-way ticket to Disadvantage City.
Hmm, I guess I don't mind that, because now I've got Style Points. Flourish and showmanship over min-max all day every day.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:59 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chady View Post
Hmm, I guess I don't mind that, because now I've got Style Points. Flourish and showmanship over min-max all day every day.
Yeah, I mean, it's literally a .2 second difference.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:54 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I'm in the minority in that I'm quite alright with the attract reel removal. I may have watched it once on PS2; certainly never sat through it every time. Removing what I largely view as superfluous and getting right to the start is fine.

But I have no particular nostalgia for FF12. All of the changes will just be how the game is to me because I remember so very little about it. Speaking of how the game is, FedEx just dropped it off about an hour ago and I'm on my lunch break. Time to Ivalice.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Mystery Contraption

Is there any particular benefit to not selling off all my monster-giblets as soon as I get them?

I seem to recall there being some kind of benefit to only selling certain combinations or something like that.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:01 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Is there any particular benefit to not selling off all my monster-giblets as soon as I get them?

I seem to recall there being some kind of benefit to only selling certain combinations or something like that.
My understanding of that was "don't worry about it unless you want to look up a guide"
Old 07-11-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:

No, however, the bazaar works in a really weird way in that it keeps track of what you've sold, but when you use them in a bazaar good, the count goes to zero. So if a bazaar good needs you to sell 6 doodads, and you've sold 40, your count still goes to zero after you've bought the good. Means you could have another bazaar thing that costs 30 doodads and 1 junk, and although you've sold enough to cover, you can't get it when you sell the 1 junk. Means you only need to worry about really rare items and making sure you don't oversell them,which is way late game, and you might as well just make a note of it (I'm sure a wiki or some such has a list of things you can possibly lock out of.

that's all iirc.

wait actually that means there may be a benefit to not selling them all off because then bazaar recipes actually require less items? idk, I never worry about it.

e: quick look makes it seem like the Tournesol is what I was thinking of and you don't get locked out ever, but it's a real pain to get without a guide

Last edited by pudik; 07-11-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudik View Post
No, however, the bazaar works in a really weird way in that it keeps track of what you've sold, but when you use them in a bazaar good, the count goes to zero. So if a bazaar good needs you to sell 6 doodads, and you've sold 40, your count still goes to zero after you've bought the good. Means you could have another bazaar thing that costs 30 doodads and 1 junk, and although you've sold enough to cover, you can't get it when you sell the 1 junk. Means you only need to worry about really rare items and making sure you don't oversell them,which is way late game, and you might as well just make a note of it (I'm sure a wiki or some such has a list of things you can possibly lock out of.

that's all iirc.

wait actually that means there may be a benefit to not selling them all off because then bazaar recipes actually require less items? idk, I never worry about it.
There's a pretty good gamefaq guide to it, which also points out that the sell count doesn't reset to zero after unlocking the good, only after buying the good. So in your example, if good A requires 6 doodads, and good B requires 30 doodads and 1 junk, you can unlock both good A and good B by selling 30 doodads and 1 junk, but if you sell 30 doodads (unlocking good A), exit out, buy good A (resetting doodad sale count to 0), then go back in and sell 1 junk, good B won't unlock yet because the doodad sale count was reset to 0.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:34 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
There's a pretty good gamefaq guide to it, which also points out that the sell count doesn't reset to zero after unlocking the good, only after buying the good. So in your example, if good A requires 6 doodads, and good B requires 30 doodads and 1 junk, you can unlock both good A and good B by selling 30 doodads and 1 junk, but if you sell 30 doodads (unlocking good A), exit out, buy good A (resetting doodad sale count to 0), then go back in and sell 1 junk, good B won't unlock yet because the doodad sale count was reset to 0.
Short version: Sell everything, buy nothing
Old 07-11-2017, 02:54 PM
does the Underpants Dance

*resisting the urge to be snarky and demeaning to this game*
What's funny is that I'm actually pretty tempted to buy this even though I know it's one of my least favorite FFs, even after playing the IZJS edition a little bit ago.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
*resisting the urge to be snarky and demeaning to this game*

What's funny is that I'm actually pretty tempted to buy this even though I know it's one of my least favorite FFs, even after playing the IZJS edition a little bit ago.

Even the worst FF is still a good game.

Yes, even 3.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Gerundammit, the ONLY thing I really wanted out of an FFXII remake/upgrade was a friendly Bazaar, and it's. Still. The. Dumbest. Thing. EVER. Dumber than the 1%-chance spawn chests with 1%-chance of containing rewards. Aaaaaargh.

So if I want to actually REAP the rewards of my Loot Chains, I have to harvest EXACTLY as many enemy body parts as I want, leave, sell them immediately and HOPE to have the gil to buy the reward, instead of grinding them out and stockpiling them for a single transaction. That's going to be SO MUCH FUN when I have to harvest body parts in the Great Crystal or the Pharos basement.

As much as I love FFXII? The Bazaar is the worst concept the mainline series has ever used.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Don't sell the Great Serpentskin drop from the Nidhogg - "Marauder in the Mines" hunt. Instead, save it for the patient in Southbank Village in order to get a Golden Amulet (double LP) upon the patient's recovery.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Find Your Reason

Speaking of, if I'm gonna keep track of all the loot, where to get it and when to sell it, I'm going to need a guide. I'd rather have a book open than a cumbersome GameFAQ, so does anyone know if the Prima Guide for Zodiac Age is comparable to the guide for the original game?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Yeah, I mean, it's literally a .2 second difference.
See, the funny thing is, back when I first played FFXII I would hardly care about this, but after getting really into FFXIV a .2 second difference sounds huge.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:48 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Yes, even 3.
3 is the best, just have to play Famicom / fan translation rather than the slow and easy remake. But I realize I'm weird.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:55 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Even the worst FF is still a good game.
Final Fantasy 9 is not a good game.

Well, I'll give you one two things: The game looks and sounds far better than it did before.

I'm not sure what jobs I'm going to apply to whom. I'm tempted to just close my eyes and randomly assign stuff, just to see what develops. (No, I'm not going to do that. But I will probably be a bit haphazard, just for the lulz.)
Old 07-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
As much as I love FFXII? The Bazaar is the worst concept the mainline series has ever used.
This is your yearly reminder that FFXII is a Matsuno game that contains significant traces of Kawazu.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:27 PM

Contrawise, a reminder that Matsuno and Kawazu have the two most similar design philosophies of any two directors in the series. Matsuno thought the arcane nonsense that was Vagrant Story's weapon system was fine.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:28 PM
so exciting!

Matsuno gave us Tactics Ogre PSP's skill system, which can be charitably described as "not good"
Old 07-11-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
does anyone know if the Prima Guide for Zodiac Age is comparable to the guide for the original game?
That OG Piggyback guide set a pretty high bar.

I purchased the Kindle/eGuide combo of the Prima guide for TZA but it was released only this morning so I haven't had a chance to read too much. At a glance it doesn't seem quite as verbose as Piggyback, which could be a plus or a minus.

Let me know if there's anything in particular you're curious about and I'll compare.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:23 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboymaster View Post
Contrawise, a reminder that Matsuno and Kawazu have the two most similar design philosophies of any two directors in the series. Matsuno thought the arcane nonsense that was Vagrant Story's weapon system was fine.
Dunno. The thing about VS (and most Matsuno games) is that while the system is extremely complex, you don't have to master all its aspects to break the game. While complex, VS's system doesn't require you to get a perfect balance of weapon type, blade type, racial affinity and phantom points to make a devastating weapon. Also, Matsuno's system rarely depend entirely of chance, and rarely do they screw you up permanently.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 AM
Fifth Business

From an old Gamespot interview, some important revelations on the exact level of Ashe's Frenchness.

Quote:
Q: We previously heard from Matsuno that Ashe was modeled on a Frenchwoman's bone structure.

Yoshida: The base of her bone structure is a French person's. We were given orders from the start to not make her look like an Asian. But we modified her a bit to look more like a Japanese for the sake of the Japanese audience, and also since a character that looks completely French makes some of the CG expressions difficult.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:23 AM
Mystery Contraption

And she's the princess of a magical steampunk vaguely Arabic country. Inhabited by orcs and Jar Jar Binks'.

Ivalice is a melting pot.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:42 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Ah, yes, the French are notoriously difficult to depict. I believe Ratatouille was meant to be Pixar's first photo-realistic film before they gave up and made everyone look vaguely Japanese.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:47 AM
-ryn

If you are looking to plan out your Zodiac Jobs so each character gets a different pair of jobs so you can see them all (because you can't ever change them once you pick)

Here's a Google doc spreadsheet that has a ton of info on the jobs and what each one has and you can see some examples of what some people are doing.

Google Doc
Old 07-12-2017, 08:04 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
3 is the best, just have to play Famicom / fan translation rather than the ugly, charmless, plot-grafted, job-system ruining remake.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:18 AM
is Earnest

I liked the remake of III. I guess I should play the original?
Old 07-12-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I liked the remake of III. I guess I should play the original?
Only if you hate yourself to a Dark Souls like level. Not that the games are remotely similar in any way but their punishing difficulty curve.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Disagree strongly! I played FFIII-Fam for the first time last year and loved it, and didn't find it to be particularly difficult.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:37 AM

If you go in blind I think its pretty tough. I mean, I don't remember anyone explicitly explaining the Garuda fight, or the caves with the splitting monsters or a few other pretty dangerous mechanics. That trial and error is painful without assistance.

Tags
final fantasy , final fantasy xii , rereleases , square enix , twelve job fiesta , yasumi matsuno