The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-10-2017, 02:35 AM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

Default Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

The remaster of the best FF is out on PS4 in less than a day! Let's talk about it.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:51 AM
so exciting!

You can fast forward! (Though everyone has said that the 4x speed is basically impossible to control)

Vaan's ab textures have been fixed!

Your characters can now pick classes, which are essential just unique license boards instead of one big one with everything on it. New to the HD version is the ability to have two classes instead of one, allowing you to use all of the available classes if you so choose.

All gambits become available in stores fairly early, compared to the original's "well this won't show up until the final town"

I think there's dual audio? Or something? And that's why the digital version is like 40 GB.

Also the "don't open certain chests so you can get the Zodiac Spear" is no longer a thing.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:50 AM

I'm looking forward to it. Thinking about how I'm going to multiclass everyone. Kinda want to make Penelo the classic White Mage Monk for now.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

I'm willing to give the game another chance. Already got it preinstalled.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:50 AM
The Great

I kind of want this, but I also regret buying FFX HD because the PC port got released before I even got around to playing it.

So I guess I'll wait to see if that happens here too.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Tell me about your mother

I probably won't be able to play this for a while, but all these proposed changes fix a lot of my major gripes with the game.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:32 AM
I'm kind of over memes.

I still remember getting the classy-as-hell PS2 steelbook on Halloween 2006 and just playing it all night. I made sure to pre-order the even classier steelbook of Zodiac Age and I don't even have a PS4.

This is without qualification the series' best game.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:54 AM
is Earnest

So good, but I have no time to play it. Maybe in a few months. Regardless, I am excited that it's finally being released for modern consoles.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 AM
Find Your Reason

Got charged for it yesterday and it's on its way today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
You can fast forward! (Though everyone has said that the 4x speed is basically impossible to control)
Woohoo!

Quote:
Aww.

Quote:
Your characters can now pick classes, which are essential just unique license boards instead of one big one with everything on it. New to the HD version is the ability to have two classes instead of one, allowing you to use all of the available classes if you so choose.
Woohoo! (Will still devote a few hours studying each class so I can still heal, buff, and tank with any combination of characters, and do NihoRem. Also Penelo as a White Mage is just WRONG when she was a polearm de/buffer and martial artist in my last game.)

Quote:
All gambits become available in stores fairly early, compared to the original's "well this won't show up until the final town"
Woohoo! But I hope Telekinesis also shows up maybe three or four towns earlier too.

Quote:
I think there's dual audio? Or something? And that's why the digital version is like 40 GB.
As expected of a person like Ban, he asked, "Baruhurea-san, how old us Huran-chan?" It couldn't be helped.

Quote:
Also the "don't open certain chests so you can get the Zodiac Spear" is no longer a thing.
...yes, but it also means it's even HARDER to get the Zodiac Spear now. Before, you just had to dodge four chests. That's it. Then you could run into the Necrohol, flee from the enemies, and use it for nearly half the game. Now, you have to fulfill considerably harder requirements MUCH later in the game, making it the ONLY non-Bazaar superweapon pointless.

I hope at least Demonsbane is easier to spawn this time.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:05 AM
Mystery Contraption

I'm pleased to learn that Vaan no longer appears to be cadaverous
Old 07-10-2017, 09:44 AM

I was going to do the "respond to each point in pete's post" but i was gonna boo the ab retexture

anyway i didn't realize this was arriving tomorrow so when i got the shipping notification as i checked to see that i still have about 30 weapons to collect in drakengard i got a little bit of anxiety.

oh well rip rest of my hobbies
Old 07-10-2017, 09:49 AM
McBear

When PC version
Old 07-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudik View Post
anyway i didn't realize this was arriving tomorrow so when i got the shipping notification as i checked to see that i still have about 30 weapons to collect in drakengard i got a little bit of anxiety.
Wait but Drakengard actively hates you for trying to get everything and would rather you didn't
Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 AM
so exciting!

Quote:

Also no longer a thing: A 9999 damage limit
Old 07-10-2017, 10:37 AM

Camera X/Y controls are configurable; hooray!

I'd rather be able to opt for the old license board, but otherwise I'm pumped.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I am excited for Balthier times
Old 07-10-2017, 10:44 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Woohoo! But I hope Telekinesis also shows up maybe three or four towns earlier too.
I'm not sure how much earlier it shows up, but only three classes have access to it and of those three only one has easy access to it the other two require you to activate Ultima, which also means they're mutually exclusive
Old 07-10-2017, 10:48 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Also no longer a thing: A 9999 damage limit
Quickenings no longer consume MP, making magic a bit more viable.
Also you can control Espers when you summon them, no more having to specifically set up their limit breaks.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Find Your Reason

How do Quickening Chains and Concurrences work, then? Are Mist Charges separate from MP?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Toxic Boots

I don't want to spend any time thinking about which jobs to assign each character, so what's optimal?

My impression of the IZJS was always that the job license boards essentially nerfed the characters in skills and stats compared to the original, though I never played it so I don't know how accurate that is, especially now with two selections for each character.

I like to solo Basch for as long as possible, for what it's worth.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:03 AM
so exciting!

You have a Mist Point for every Quickening a character has unlocked, for a total of three. Your first level Quickening takes 1 point, second level is 2 points and third is 3 points. Mist Charges still happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikr View Post
I don't want to spend any time thinking about which jobs to assign each character, so what's optimal?

My impression of the IZJS was always that the job license boards essentially nerfed the characters in skills and stats compared to the original, though I never played it so I don't know how accurate that is, especially now with two selections for each character.

I like to solo Basch for as long as possible, for what it's worth.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1912...c-age/75403072

Try this maybe? It even gives Basch Queklain

Another bonus: You can play as guest characters, which means you get to use Basch for even longer than you would in a normal game! (this also means that Larsa no longer has infinite potions)
Old 07-10-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Wait but Drakengard actively hates you for trying to get everything and would rather you didn't
masochism is my middle name
Old 07-10-2017, 01:08 PM
TARANTUL

NihoRem is the only combo I need to make happen, likey giving it to Fran? Otherwise just assigning classes as I feel.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Larsa no longer has infinite potions
Old 07-10-2017, 03:30 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

What I'm most looking forward to is the score in Zodiac Age, since they rerecorded it with a full orchestra instead of OG FFXII's orchestral synths. I've listened to a bit on YouTube and the orchestra really takes Sakimoto's shimmering, majestic score to a place wehre it's fuckin sumptuous

also with the abillity to skip any cut scene and play the game at 2x or 4x speed, there's going to be a lot of replayability in this one if you're looking to try out different party combos!
Old 07-10-2017, 03:40 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I have the FF12 steelbook for PS2 as well but I couldn't force my way through the game. Too much damn running around; I heard they made it easier to actually get to things, which would be tremendous.

As of this writing, I feel like FF12 is one of the weakest titles in the series. I remember almost nothing about it. Still, "new" Final Fantasy and shit so it's in the mail. We'll see how I feel about it in a few days.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Fifth Business

So apparently the saving system is all revamped in this, with a generous auto-saving every screen transition? Or something? If so, got mixed feelings; what with having RESPONSIBILITIES and such the convenience of that is nice and all, but I feel it will also shatter the tension and atmosphere of delving into the deep dark dungeons, and stuff like the emotional response of being attacked by a fake save point.

It's hard to feel quite as invested in a game which never makes you go 'ohhhh, NOOOOOOOO...'

But I understand these are all things that most people will enjoy more. Just, you know, FOR ME, these seem like possible concerns.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I think it also uses regular saves, so you could just ignore the auto-save.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
It's hard to feel quite as invested in a game which never makes you go 'ohhhh, NOOOOOOOO...'
"Haha, autosave makes this so easy! In fact, I'll go into this dungeon and...

" Uh...

"It just autosaved in the middle of the Great Crystal and I have no potions, no MP, and no way to recover any health. Ohhh, NOOOOOO."

Last edited by Zef; 07-10-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:10 PM
Little Waves

I could have saved hours if I'd had an auto-save right before the dice roll that is the Zodiark fight. Sign me up.

Tags
final fantasy , final fantasy xii , rereleases , square enix , twelve job fiesta , yasumi matsuno