The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 AM
do-do-doo do-doo

Quote:
ROBBIT
This thread isn't about Jumping Flash!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:27 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakman View Post
This thread isn't about Jumping Flash!
what is the most TT complaint
Old 02-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

Started playing, just finished the first mission after the tutorial.

Preeeeeetty good so far; very Farcry: Dinobot, as expected.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:51 AM

Jealous! I'm stuck at stupid work and my Amazon order probably delivers around 4.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:44 PM

It's so damn fun, guys. And GORGEOUS.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:02 AM
Mystery Contraption

Oh man, is this a Komandi game? Just with robots?

It is, isn't it? I'm going to find a Kanga-Rat Murder-Hole full of blenders, aren't I?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:14 AM

I don't know what that is

So I only got to play for a bit yesterday. Some thoughts and observations:

-it's difficult to know what direction to inititally go in the Skill Tree because man, all of it sounds great. Some of my early picks: Concentration, which allows you to slow down time while aiming your bow; Silent Strike, which allows you to do sneak attacks from cover that kill humans and smaller machines and heavily damage larger machines; Healer, which speeds up the healing process when you use your herb pouch; and Herbalist, which doubles the capacity of your herb pouch.

-the environments so far are spectacular and may beat the Witcher 3 for fidelity and beauty. I particularly like looking out at the giant snowcapped mountains that hem in the starting area and seeing old broken down tentacled leviathan machines tangled in the peaks.

- the intro movie and then the opening segment, when Aloy's six, do a really good job of getting you invested in Aloy and her foster father Rost, who is such a good dude. The VAs for Aloy and Rost are excellent.

- there's some really smart interface choices. The same quick-access menu allows you to switch between projectile weapons, select ammo, and craft ammo in the middle of combat. (It slows time when you have it open, like the Witcher 3's Signs and combat tools menu).

-I'm still in the middle of the first real quest with Aloy as an adult, but I've gotten sidetracked with hunting, exploring, and sidequests.

- so far I've come across and completed three different sidequests. Each of them functions as a small short story that tells you more about Aloy, her tribe's culture, and the world, and they also help flesh out mechanics and gameplay more. They hired people from CD Projekt Red to work with them on quest development, and you can tell.

- the reviews were right: some of the facial movements aren't great for minor NPCs during sidequests. Aloy's face stuff is on point, though.

in sum: really glad I got it, wish I was home playing it now.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Mystery Contraption

It's this, except with Robosaurs instead of a surprisingly good guess about the plot of Planet of the Apes.

Difficulty got a real spike at the first second boss-fight; against the Corrupter. It's a straight-up fire-fight, no chance to use stealth or trickery against a crazy fast machine with waaaaay more weapons than it needs, and it's pals. I don't think it's even possible to beat it without at least having and exploiting Concentration.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:15 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

This is...this is good stuff to know. I'm scooping this up immediately after I'm finished with Breath of the Wild. Like, as soon as the credits roll, I'm hopping off the couch and going make a purchase.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:18 PM

oh, and btw, it's so fucking refreshing to play a AAA game that passes the Bechdel test almost immediately. In the first hour I also saw queer representation and POC too, all done very matter-of-factly.

It shouldn't be a big deal, but it is.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
I'm going to be all over this game in six months when it's $10.
I've read that the second half of the game is a slog. I'm guessing now one here can confirm or deny that at this point...

Like Balrog above, I may just wait on it.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 AM

That second boss fight was FUN AS HELL, especially since I wasn't expecting it! Love love the different options you get to handle sticky situations: I used my Tripcaster to lay down electrified trip wires, my Hunter's Bow to pour on fire damage, and my Sharpshooter bow to put on regular damage. Should have used my Ropecaster to limit its mobility too and set up traps when I had the initial prep time.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:58 AM
Friends Forever

Lure call and silent strike combined trivialize the first area as you get gear and mats. Watchers aren't bad, but Striders can be annoying with your initial kit. Scrappers aren't as bad as Striders as they generally engage you, but this deals with them as well. The two concentrations and soundless running have been my go to so far.

I am playing on very hard and getting my ass kicked and I love it. Approaching a fight with different load outs and strategies makes a huge difference and it's so satisfying to take down more advanced dinos, as they are huge threats. Collections seem reasonable so far and the world and it's story had been engaging.

Wife can't put it down either, she is just about to tackle the first boss Dino and I can't wait to see how that goes.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:27 PM

holy shit, Thunderjaws.

I TOOK DOWN A ROBO T-REX AND LIVED TO TELL THE TALE (and exhausted nearly all of my ammo doing it)

I love getting into scrapes and seeing if I can get myself back out! (the answer so far is usually yes, but there's a lotta hustle involved)
Old 03-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Just bear with me

I was really interested in this one, but I think I'm just gonna slum with Final Fantasy VX until the price drops. I can't justify full price on a game with my budget.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Jinxed

I've been making a tour of the Cauldrons and oddly enough I just unlocked the ability to take over a Thunderjaw myself.

I've been having a lot of fun hunting - getting new abilities and weapons does make hunting easier but if you botch something things can still go bad quickly so you never really feel over powered.

Stealth enhanced clothes help a lot - you can sneak fairly close if you have a stealth outfit (or a lot of stealth enhancements).

Corrupting or overtaking enemies is a good way to get them to soften each other up before taking them on (though it doesn't give you any experience if you let enemies kill each other). Oddly enough a lone crab-bot can probably kill anything else on the ground smaller than a Ravager. Possibly even a Ravager - I've seen Crabs take out entire herds.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:19 AM

ugh, I just finished Cauldron Rho and the boss fight there was so cool

I elected to set up lots of trip wires for the Snapjaw I saw locked down behind the shileds before I overrid the shields... pnly to have the Ravager that came outta NOWHERE trip them off instead. (Boy, do I hate that Ravagers take multiple Shock tripwires to Shock). CUE MAD SCRAMBLING. I pulled it out and felt like a total badass afterwards. The game really expects you to be able to switch up strategies on the turn of a dime and I love that.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:44 AM
Jinxed

The pretty much mirrors my Rho experience. If you have a Carja or better Sharpshot Bow, it helps if you can peg the Ravager's cannon with a Tearblast arrow - you'll disable it from him, and if you can grab it, it'll make short work of both the Ravager and Snapjaw.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
The pretty much mirrors my Rho experience. If you have a Carja or better Sharpshot Bow, it helps if you can peg the Ravager's cannon with a Tearblast arrow - you'll disable it from him, and if you can grab it, it'll make short work of both the Ravager and Snapjaw.
oh I did just fine, the nice thing about Ravagers is that they're super flammable, three fire arrows and you have RoboCat En Flambe
Old 03-12-2017, 08:27 PM

welp, I now know where "Zero Dawn" comes from... and it's a helluva concept.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:07 AM
It's all good, man

Is it worth the game having one of the worst titles ever?
Old 03-13-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Is it worth the game having one of the worst titles ever?
I don't think that HZD even cracks the top 100 most ridiculous game names ever, but i do wish it went with either Horizon or just Zero Dawn.

anyway, I was texting with Willm today about HZD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by even more thrilling true tales of texting with Willm and UUDD

UUDD: I fought a corrupted Thunderjaw last night at the end of a quest after battling other humans and corrupted bots, but it was in a canyon with some room to maneuver and some cover. Albeit cover he kept blowing up.

Willm: That sounds intense!

UUDD: oh my god it was insane and amazing and i kept yelling at the TV
UUDD: it’s all about using Tearblast arrows to get the disc launchers off its flanks and the cannons off its face and getting some of the armor off. Being able to fire three arrows at once is essential.
UUDD: then you can use the disc launchers against the Thunderjaw
UUDD: the game keeps on throwing you curveballs with a wink, saying “I think you can handle this”
UUDD: SCRAMBLE SCRAMBLE SCRAMBLE

Willm: That sounds AWESOME. And yeah I love how the game respects the player. It's not punishing but it trusts you to figure things out.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:09 PM
It's all good, man

It's not one of the most ridiculous names, but it's one of the worst in my opinion. Three bland words that when put together evoke absolutely nothing.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:05 PM
Mystery Contraption

The games been out for a few weeks and I still get tripped up on the title, calling it Zero Dawn Horizon, or Zero Horizon: Dawn or Dawn: Zero Horizon or whatever.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:00 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm loving this game. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I do, but it's a very pleasant surprise.

I just did an override on my first Tallneck and it was really cool.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:08 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
It's not one of the most ridiculous names, but it's one of the worst in my opinion. Three bland words that when put together evoke absolutely nothing.
Nothing? "Horizon", which has always stood as a metaphor for limitless potential, like the open road. "Zero Dawn" evokes a feeling of beginning or starting over, and I assume it's meant to be a parallel to the concept of Year Zero, which makes sense considering the game appears - I haven't played it yet - to imply humanity hit a reset button at some point.

Quote:
The idea behind Year Zero is that all culture and traditions within a society must be completely destroyed or discarded and a new revolutionary culture must replace it, starting from scratch. All history of a nation or people before Year Zero is deemed largely irrelevant, as it will ideally be purged and replaced from the ground up.
"Horizon: Zero Dawn" is clunky, yes. I agree on that point. But "evoking absolutely nothing" is a bit of a stretch.

Someone should start a thread about names of games.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM
ah’m skunk rogue

My 2 cents: Horizon Zero Dawn is like Mass Effect: a combination of anodyne words that doesn't immediately mean much. I have had no trouble keeping all of this game's words in order when I've had cause to think about it. My mind... is incredible.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:48 PM
there he goes again

This game is so god damn fun and enjoyable and as UUDD pointed out has great representation. I wonder if Ashley Burch had anything to do with that? It actually, honestly took me a long time to even realize that she voices Aloy as she's just using her normal voice and not doing a, well, voice or character. I hope to see more serious VAing from her.

I really like what Jim Sterling had to say about the game: "I speak as a critic who has played more 'open sandbox' games than any one human should and has grown so very weary of them. I should have gotten sick of this thing in an hour, but I've been glued to it for days and days and I don't want it to end."

My only complaints for the game are the voice acting can be very hit or miss otherwise, especially when it comes to the talking heads segments. And, also, why does Aloy have such a super hippy walk cycle? It's not distracting as she's covered in all that armor, but it is pretty unnecessary. Still, she does have an armor that shows her midriff, and she has abs. She is ripped. It is good to finally see AAA titles coming out that have physically strong women and aren't afraid to actually show their muscle definition.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 PM
me want the puyopuyon

Zero Dawn Thirty
Old 03-20-2017, 09:43 PM

I didn't know who Burch was until I looked her up just now; I just know that she does a really good job at voicing a believable tough-as-nails but relatable and empathetic young woman.

I also never bought the midriff-baring armor, so I just looked that up. Dang, that's a core of iron.

I finished the game just before I left on vacation. There's a fair amount of side quest stuff still to do, but with P5 and Nier Automata (and ME Andromeda) breathing down my neck, it'll be a while before I 100% this sucker. Good ending, felt like a natural and satisfying culmination.

I'm all in on this world, guys. I'm so happy that they've announced that they're already working on a continuation of Aloy's story.

Tags
cadillacs are dinosaurs , get on the floor , it's a tricycle-tops , open the door , uudd is all for aaa , yo'stir isle