The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-15-2017, 08:17 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Default Solitairica is just aces

I've been playing this game fairly relentlessly on mobile (though it's also on PC) and I'm wondering if anyone else has given it a shot.

It's a roguelike solitaire game in which you choose one of several unlockable decks to travel through an 18 battle gauntlet to the final boss. Battles are fought via games of solitaire, where the enemy's life is represented by stacks of cards which can be removed via standard solitaire sequence or through spells. Shops with randomized spells and items are available between battles, though all of these items are lost after you end each run.

Despite being on mobile, there are no microtransactions to be seen. I'm playing on Android which has a single price to unlock the full version. iOS might allow a more piecemeal approach, I'm not sure. All shops and purchases in game trade exclusively in game currency: coins for the shops on individual runs, gems for purchasing and upgrading decks. Both are earned through gameplay only.

I really appreciate the basic loop: solitaire is a perennial favorite and the wrinkles of equipment, spells, and various upgrades to distinct flavors of decks serve to keep the game interesting through repeated runs. Each trip to the shop will force you to think as you spend your limited coins and build strategies around what's available. It's a perfect fit for mobile - five minutes is enough to burn through a battle or two, though I will say I've rarely felt the desire to restart a new run as soon as soon as my previous one ended.

Two things bother me about the game, though to various degrees. I'm not in love with the art style, it looks a little too much like something from The Oatmeal, which I've never really liked. It's not particularly distracting, and some character portraits are worse than others, but it's still not great.

My other complaint focuses on how battles can drag a bit as you close in on victory. Invariably, the enemy's life deck will have only one or two cards left in it, and you end up playing a waiting a game as you take turn after turn, waiting on either a sequence card to remove them or magic points to cast a spell to do the same. This is a natural consequence of the kind of solitaire game they've created, and I'm not sure how they'd alleviate the tedium without some compromise to that.

Still, both of those complaints are relatively minor. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for an honest, no microtransaction, quick-fix mobile game.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Sudden chomper

I saw the thread title and then immediately picked up my phone to play a round, so yes, I have been playing this game. It's really good! It's also not solitaire in the conventional sense; it's closer to the game of spit (or speed) in that you can build cards up and down and you don't have to send them up to stacks to win. You're basically just clearing stacks of cards and using special abilities to either do damage or resist the enemies' attacks. There's a really nice spread of abilities in this game and you can make some cool combinations with them. My personal favorite right now is a 1-mana spell that turns all the cards into 3-coin cards, followed up with a 6-mana attack spell that clears out all cards of one type. You basically skim the top off every column and make tons of money in the process - very satisfying when you pull it off, kind of like a Tetris.

I've been playing the Monk deck a lot, and I thought I was going crazy because some of the spells weren't behaving the same as yesterday. Turns out my phone downloaded a patch for the game that rebalanced things. Can't say I'm in love with the changes, but I guess the Monk's special abilities were a bit overpowered. Anyway, I haven't gotten to the final boss yet, but I've made it up to about the 16th encounter and I consistently get to at least the 10th enemy on most runs. I'm saving up to upgrade my Monk deck fully, for now I'm about halfway there.

This game is good! Play this game.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:46 PM
the :motion: stands

I'm still on the free mode for Android, and the novelty is rapidly wearing thin. It may be that the game is balanced for the automatic 2x gold earnings (read: 0.5x penalty for not paying for the game) you get for watching an ad or buying the game. Enemies are usually either a cakewalk or I struggle to get to the end of a match only to watch my entire run go up in smoke as I keep drawing non-attack cards that aren't adjacent to the 1 or 2 cards remaining.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:06 PM
Mad Overlord

I got hooked on this a while back, and wound up playing it quite a bit over the course of a week or two. I lost interest after finishing it with all the classes, but definitely got my money's worth out of it.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Mystery Contraption

Your description was enough to make me pick 'er up so, no I have not played it, but am moments away from doing so.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:53 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I'm going to try this out. I'm interested in how a solitaire variant that only uses the aces will work.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 PM
That bug is NUTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I'm going to try this out. I'm interested in how a solitaire variant that only uses the aces will work.
Just FYI the thread title is wordplay, the game uses the whole deck.

Adam, yeah, in those situations you have to prep as best you can since you know the crunch is coming. I try to wear down columns as evenly as possible and save enough magic for a damage spell or two. That way when I'm down to a single row I can hopefully play smart and remove what cards I can via sequence and then clear the rest with spells. It doesn't always work, though.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:35 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Your description was enough to make me pick 'er up so, no I have not played it, but am moments away from doing so.
Update;
Yup, liking this.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Bad puns aside, the game crashes before it gets to the title screen on my phone, even after several reinstall attempts, so I'll just stick with Card Crawl
Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 PM
who's she

Ooh, this sounds neat, I'll have to try it.

I've recently been loving Really Bad Chess, which is a chess randomizer.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Sudden chomper

So I just had a really frustrating bug(?) end my game. I finished the game as a Monk and now I'm trying to get a win with the Wizard deck, which I'm finding a lot more difficult so far. On my latest playthrough, I made it to around fight 15, which was an Ogger. The fight was going well, but then he pulled out a move I had never seen before - a stomp that does 15(!!) damage after about 5 turns of windup. I only had 12 max health and the crappy spell that the wizard starts with that gives 1 armor for 2 mana, so I didn't survive. But I had an hourglass, which let me retry the fight. This time, stomp came up much sooner in the battle, so I started clearing cards and building up armor in preparation. At one point I had a full 12 health and 4 armor, so I figured I was good. I clear out a few more cards and look at my armor, only to see it's at 3. Was I mistaken earlier? I earn another armor point and go back to clearing cards. When the stomp is about to land, I look again and see now I'm at 2 armor! There's nothing in the description of the move that says it burns armor each turn during windup, and none of my equipped spells should have done that either. So I wound up losing to what appears to be a bug and it's really fucking annoying.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
So I just had a really frustrating bug(?) end my game. I finished the game as a Monk and now I'm trying to get a win with the Wizard deck, which I'm finding a lot more difficult so far. On my latest playthrough, I made it to around fight 15, which was an Ogger. The fight was going well, but then he pulled out a move I had never seen before - a stomp that does 15(!!) damage after about 5 turns of windup. I only had 12 max health and the crappy spell that the wizard starts with that gives 1 armor for 2 mana, so I didn't survive. But I had an hourglass, which let me retry the fight. This time, stomp came up much sooner in the battle, so I started clearing cards and building up armor in preparation. At one point I had a full 12 health and 4 armor, so I figured I was good. I clear out a few more cards and look at my armor, only to see it's at 3. Was I mistaken earlier? I earn another armor point and go back to clearing cards. When the stomp is about to land, I look again and see now I'm at 2 armor! There's nothing in the description of the move that says it burns armor each turn during windup, and none of my equipped spells should have done that either. So I wound up losing to what appears to be a bug and it's really fucking annoying.
Not sure what could have caused that during a windup, but I always make sure to buy a trampoline/portal/etc. ASAP specifically to have on hand for that fight (after it led to one of my earliest deaths).

Oh yeah, I'm playing this now, just beat it a couple times with Monk. It's pretty fun!

Quote:
My personal favorite right now is a 1-mana spell that turns all the cards into 3-coin cards, followed up with a 6-mana attack spell that clears out all cards of one type. You basically skim the top off every column and make tons of money in the process - very satisfying when you pull it off, kind of like a Tetris.
This combo totally changed the game for me, thanks for pointing it out. Alchemy's great to rack up a couple extra coins at the end of a battle, but I hadn't considered it usually worth the spell slot aside from that. Bringing it into that combo is really really great, though. I'd be interested to hear about other cool combos if you know of any!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Not sure what could have caused that during a windup, but I always make sure to buy a trampoline/portal/etc. ASAP specifically to have on hand for that fight (after it led to one of my earliest deaths).
I've only made it that far a few times, so I had fought at most one Ogger in the past. Let's just say I was very surprised when I saw a 15-point attack coming toward me. I'll have to consider investing in one of those spells like you said - similarly, there are a lot of later fights that are probably nigh-unwinnable without the bar of soap spell that removes all corruptions from the front cards.

Quote:
This combo totally changed the game for me, thanks for pointing it out. Alchemy's great to rack up a couple extra coins at the end of a battle, but I hadn't considered it usually worth the spell slot aside from that. Bringing it into that combo is really really great, though. I'd be interested to hear about other cool combos if you know of any!
Well until my latest run died, I was having good look mixing up
a) the attack spell that clears out an entire row for 10 mana
b) the magic missile spell that damages three front cards
c) the green spell that lets you reroll all the front cards

Each of those lets you refresh the cards that are visible, which can lead to some really long card chains (and lots of bonus money!). But I haven't found any other cards that work directly together as well as the Alchemy combo. That said, I buy Alchemy basically every game and try to abuse it during the early encounters to rack up gold. It gets to be dangerous later on, but the first 3-4 fights I know I can usually win, so I play them risky and try to make enough cash to buy some good items. Last run, I had both the +1 and +2 to healing items. That made the worst healing spell in the game (2 mana for 1 health) into the best one (2 mana for 4 health). It's nice to know that things like that stack, it opens up some fun combinations.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:55 PM
contains words & diagrams

Got to the end of my third fight and fell into the same boring situation I did the first two fights where I'm cycling through the entire deck to clear out the last few cards on the board, then uninstalled. The whole thing felt about as arbitrary as flipping a coin or rolling a die for the sake seeing the results, but spun like a video game.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:42 PM
disguised king of surfing

It should be mentioned that this game is on Steam.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
Got to the end of my third fight and fell into the same boring situation I did the first two fights where I'm cycling through the entire deck to clear out the last few cards on the board, then uninstalled. The whole thing felt about as arbitrary as flipping a coin or rolling a die for the sake seeing the results, but spun like a video game.
It always slows down a bit, but you can help things a LOT by saving your attack/wild/etc. cards for when you're in that situation. My runs sped up a whole lot when I started doing that.

The idea is, if there's one column on the table, the chance of your draw being in sequence with that column is much lower than the chance of a draw being in sequence of any out of nine columns. (This is why the "make the 2 columns left and right of the target the same number" attack hurts so bad if you don't have a counter for it.) So the value of your attack/wild cards is several times greater when there are only a few columns left. I always save my attacks/wilds until I'm either overflowing on energy or absolutely need them to survive, and it makes clearing the last few in each run a whole lot quicker.

On that same note, the Alchemy + clear all of the same type combo pairs extremely well with the 3 cost agility spell that splits one column into two (which you'll want anyway for the goo cube, who merges columns), since the more columns you have, the more effective that sweep is. In an ideal endgame for me, I've gotten all columns down to one card remaining, so I can wrap them all up with a single sweep, rather than needing to draw a bunch of cards to pick them off one by one.

(If you haven't played long enough to unlock Monk, I'd recommend sticking with it; it comes with the wild card agility spell by default, and having two cards (one attack one agility) that can pick off stragglers makes the cleanup phase twice as fast as it is on Warrior. It should only take a couple Warrior runs to unlock it, and the game really clicked with me once I switched to Monk.)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
It should be mentioned that this game is on Steam.
Thank you. I think I'll check it out.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Quote:
I wonder if you were dealing with thorns and didn't notice them? I'd contact the developers and see. Surely you wouldn't be the only one noticing something like that.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
I wonder if you were dealing with thorns and didn't notice them? I'd contact the developers and see. Surely you wouldn't be the only one noticing something like that.
This is a possibility, since the thorns are drawn in a really subtle way, but I don't think that's what happened. I have 5 turns while this attack was winding up and I cleared multiple rows of cards in that time - any thorns would have been taken care of early on in the process. I suppose I could contact the developer, but that would require effort. Complaining is so much easier!

After getting beat down yet again with the Mage deck, I decided to give Paladin a try. I like the starting skills a lot - with items that boost the amount of health or armor you recover, I could see Judge and Righteous Aura being viable all the way to the end of the game (which you can't really say for the Mage's lightning strike spell).
Old 02-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
This is a possibility, since the thorns are drawn in a really subtle way, but I don't think that's what happened. I have 5 turns while this attack was winding up and I cleared multiple rows of cards in that time - any thorns would have been taken care of early on in the process. I suppose I could contact the developer, but that would require effort. Complaining is so much easier!
Thorns (and ice, armor, poison, probably others) can appear randomly (though perhaps only on certain enemy modifiers?), they aren't always triggered by enemy spells. I hadn't thought of this; this sounds like the most likely explanation for what happened.

EDIT: Just ran into it: the Spiky enemy modifier gives all cards the chance to be corrupted by thorns. So that's probably what you ran into.

Last edited by krelbel; 02-21-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Mystery Contraption

The "Turn Everything to Coins" and "Eliminate Suit" combo is hella powerful. Finally got past Hug Bug
Old 02-21-2017, 12:51 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
EDIT: Just ran into it: the Spiky enemy modifier gives all cards the chance to be corrupted by thorns. So that's probably what you ran into.
Yeah, could be. Sadly, I don't think the game keeps track of your failures the way some roguelikes do, so I might never know.

Quote:
The "Turn Everything to Coins" and "Eliminate Suit" combo is hella powerful. Finally got past Hug Bug
Really, the only problem with it is that it takes up two spell slots to pull off. It's also a bit risky to give away that much mana in exchange for coins and I've definitely shot myself in the foor by overusing it early on in tough fights. But I think it pays to play aggressively in the early matches so you can build up a nestegg to spend when really strong items come along.

Just had a very frustrating loss to that angry deer monster, whatever it's called. He stunned me repeatedly, so I wound up missing 4 or 5 consecutive turns of spell use, during which time he whittled me down to zero. I was sitting on mana that would have saved me the whole time, it was infuriating. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot you can do to prevent this, either, because the only stun-blocking items I've seen only protect you from the first stun of the match (I weathered a couple earlier on no problem, it was being blocked from spellcasting for so many turns in a row that got me killed).
Old 02-21-2017, 01:22 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Just had a very frustrating loss to that angry deer monster, whatever it's called. He stunned me repeatedly, so I wound up missing 4 or 5 consecutive turns of spell use, during which time he whittled me down to zero. I was sitting on mana that would have saved me the whole time, it was infuriating. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot you can do to prevent this, either, because the only stun-blocking items I've seen only protect you from the first stun of the match (I weathered a couple earlier on no problem, it was being blocked from spellcasting for so many turns in a row that got me killed).
Haha, I just had a death from the exact same thing. Stunlock's definitely annoying, but it seems pretty unlikely; I've only ran into it once so far. I'll just chalk it up to bad RNG and move on.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:23 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Beat this with the Warrior deck with everything unlocked but the last item slot. I relied a lot on the X-Ray specs to line up card streaks as well as the spell that creates a sequence of three cards based on the middle one. The boss was more irritating than dangerous, but I see how an extended battle would become more fierce with that one card of his that increases in power each time its used.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Goodbye!

I've beaten this with warrior, monk, and paladin, but I'm finding rogue to be a bit of a wall. The starting abilities just aren't as powerful, and I'm too squishy. Honestly, while I enjoy the game, at this point I'm losing interest - but I'm more than happy with my time with it! Good phone game (although has anyone else found it to be a bit of a battery hog?).
Old 02-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Mystery Contraption

Yeah, it sucks up my precious ohms like popcorn.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Thank you. I think I'll check it out.
I did! I picked this up during the Steam sale and fired it up yesterday for the first time, intending to dip my toe in, and ended up playing it for 7 hours straight.

>_<

My only disappointment with it is that I'm apparently already done with it? I figured there would be various DLC campaigns I could buy with new opponents, but for now there seems to just be the one. I was ready and willing to be gouged!
Old 07-04-2017, 08:11 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
I did! I picked this up during the Steam sale and fired it up yesterday for the first time, intending to dip my toe in, and ended up playing it for 7 hours straight.

>_<

My only disappointment with it is that I'm apparently already done with it? I figured there would be various DLC campaigns I could buy with new opponents, but for now there seems to just be the one. I was ready and willing to be gouged!
There are? Free DLC was just released that adds a (MUCH) harder path for any class you've beaten the game with and paid DLC adds four new classes that only get one type of card each.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
There are? Free DLC was just released that adds a (MUCH) harder path for any class you've beaten the game with and paid DLC adds four new classes that only get one type of card each.
Then apparently this content has yet to make it to the PC version!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot you can do to prevent this, either, because the only stun-blocking items I've seen only protect you from the first stun of the match.
There's an item that reduces the duration of all stuns by 1 turn, and my preferred way to deal with stun: a spell that consume 3 defense to bounce the next stun effect back at an opponent. I pick this up on pretty much every run, regardless of class, as well as Block (blocks all damage from a single attack for 6 defense), and slot those spells in for fights where I expect to encounter stuns/long cooldown big damage attacks respectively.

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear about other cool combos if you know of any!
I just wrecked the game with Bard, and it was largely thanks to comboing the bard 2-Agility ability, Inspiration, with the 4-Attack ability Expose Weakness. Inspiration triples the next non-Agility card reward, and Expose Weakness destroys any non-Attack card and triples its reward, and the two combine in the way that you'd hope, which is to say that if I toggle on Inspiration and then use Expose Weakness on either a Defense or Wisdom card, I get 9 of that resource all at once. That's the baseline case that helps get me the income I need to support the special case: doing this to coin cards and wild cards. Applying it to a wild card gives you 9 Wildstone (I farmed ~150 wildstone from Emporer Stuck on this run), and applying it to a triple coin card (I used Alchemy liberally) gives you 27 coins for a single card. I also eventually bought a 4-leaf clover (doubles coin rewards, for 54 per card), so most of my matches would end with Inspiration x 2 -> Expose Weakness x 2 -> 54 coins x 2. My coin income was absolutely ridiculous. (Incidentally, for the curious, the store runs out of hourglasses to sell after you buy 3, and I still had several hundred gold to spare. I may have gone a bit overboard.) The only challenge was making sure not to get too greedy and keeping all of my resource bars full for fully powered healing songs.

Quote:
Then apparently this content has yet to make it to the PC version!
It's now been patched in! I gave Vanguard a try, and I think I'll really like it if I can get a turtle shell and or the item that grants defense on damage, which ought to completely break shit.

Tags
deckbuilding rpg , solo run