The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-31-2014, 05:24 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Number 1 on the daily challenge for 1/1.

Uninstalling now. I never have to play this fucking game again.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Infinity Squared!

I picked up this game during the holiday sale on Steam and man... where did the time go? Fantastic, addicting stuff. It's fair but difficult, especially with the time pressure involved on having to do things according to the tempo of the game. I completed Zone 1 with the Bard and then went back and made sure I could do it with Cadence, and I'll probably do the same with the Bard in Zone 2. He's a fantastic learning tool for when you're encountering new things, and I've been just dying left and right so far so it might be worth taking a spin with an easier character. Seems like development's been going at a well enough pace, so I hope that we'll see the game completed soon enough. But it's still a fine purchase in its current state.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:41 AM
Out Of Warranty

I am playing this in short busts, and by now I can beat the first zone in 1 out of 4 attempts or so. My successes are still extremely luck based, though, so I want to get better before tackling the second zone.

But the real reason why I'm posting is because I finally killed King Konga last night - I finally got the missing beat in the rhythm! That was a fun fight, although I'm looking forward to being good enough at this that I don't have to use my freezing spell
Old 04-19-2015, 08:56 PM
Lichotaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brace Yourself Games
We are very excited to announce that Crypt of the NecroDancer will be leaving Early Access and launching fully on April 23rd! Check out the launch trailer, below!:

Here's what's in store for you in the launch build:
- Our final zone has been added! A whole host of new enemies, traps, secrets, and minibosses await you
- You can now beat the game! Unique final boss battles for the protagonists: Cadence, Melody, and Aria
- Some musical surprises we can't yet reveal...
- There are now story cinematics, featuring VO stars from League of Legends, the Dragon Ball Z TV series, and many more
- One additional insanely difficult character: Coda. (We aren't sure it's humanly possible to complete this character.)
- 10+ new achievements
- A new 'Codex' room in the lobby that helps teach the game's higher-level techniques
- And, of course, a ton of polish, balance tweaks, and bug fixes

Thank you so much for your support and feedback during Early Access! The NecroDancer community is truly the best! We hope you enjoy the full release

- The NecroDancer Team
Old 04-22-2015, 01:16 AM
Look At My Butt...Wooooo!

Kinda excited for the full release *giggity*, I've been watching a few streams on twitch of people that have early access to it and it makes me wish it was out already.

Metal cover soundtrack by FamilyJules7x? Holy shit that's an instabuy.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:12 AM
New Video World is out!

Can't wait to go back to this cracking little game.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:48 AM
?!

I play this game almost every day and love it. Really excited for a new zone, should be fun times ahead.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Out Of Warranty

Default My body is ready! Talking about Crypt of the Necrodancer

My computer is downloading a 4.5GB patch. The game just increased its size ten times.They included a ton of movies and audio in the finished release, didn't they?

EDIT: nevermind,it just finished and 3.5 gigs were the soundtrack =/ So the game itself just duplicated its size.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

Weird, when that happened to me yesterday it was only 1.2 GB (which still seemed like a lot).
Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post

My computer is downloading a 4.5GB patch. The game just increased its size ten times.They included a ton of movies and audio in the finished release, didn't they?

EDIT: nevermind,it just finished and 3.5 gigs were the soundtrack =/ So the game itself just duplicated its size.
I'm confused, you're complaining about all the awesome new music?
Old 04-24-2015, 02:31 PM
le petite mort

Why did I fry my computer right before this dropped, WHY
Old 04-24-2015, 03:03 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
I'm confused, you're complaining about all the awesome new music?

No, but it would be nice if Steam asked if I wanted to download a 4.5GB patch before it started, because I can't play the game until it ends installing it

(and for some reason the last 100MB took forever, so my planned hour of Necrodancing became a 5 minute session #firstWorldProblems)
Old 04-24-2015, 08:02 PM

I had the perfect run going too, killed the merchant on the 2nd floor and had the crown/ring of gold/ballet shoes/gold spear. Only thing I was missing was a conga shrine (and fucking up on the last stage).
Old 04-26-2015, 02:31 AM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
No, but it would be nice if Steam asked if I wanted to download a 4.5GB patch before it started, because I can't play the game until it ends installing it
Yeah, for some reason the soundtrack gets downloaded in both MP3 and FLAC formats.

Love the fourth zone; it feels like the perfect capstone to the game. Pretty hard, though! Especially when you get to 4-3 and you've gotta work with this. Been trying to see how far I can get with Aria after winning with both Cadence and Melody, and even with the reduced monster spawns in 1-3, I always wind up screwing up in that stage somehow.

Melody's soundtrack remixes really don't do it for me. I changed her soundtrack back to the default almost immediately. Aria's is better.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:09 AM
post-mystic lich princess

I like how the full release finally settled an eternal debate between another retired roguelike dev and I, where I preferred Bolt and he preferred Aria and we'd both condemn the other as more difficult and awkward. While some zone 4 aspects like blademasters and mummies are horrific at double-time, none of that compares to the backwards level-power-content curve web done with the zone mash-up and that extremely risky, randomized endurance contest of Aria's final boss layering ontop of the need for perfect play. Still enjoying futzing around across the characters in the new content for the power rankings for now, but I might never pull off the All Character run like he theoretically could (even if he still hates the speed, it's nothing compared to my anxious heart on perfection).

Kind of wish the non-unique final bosses were much stronger though, since the boss-possibility-to-zone progression has always been a bit off (Coral Riff is too static, Deep Blues 4 can't beat the damage curve, etc); maybe it'd be good to voice some more feedback on their forums. I adore the non-direct progression design in enemy lineage realized with the new content: blademasters from beetles as invulnerability without proximity, liches from skeleton mages changing from directly to indirectly endangering movement, gargoyles from mimics as difficult-to-distinguish-instantly breadth of volatile reactions, ooze versus coals and ice as encounter-threatening terrain. Even the "anti-luck" of the black bats is a fantastic design joke. Might die less to all of those myself without ridiculous equipment and with more practice, even >_>
Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The full game has a story mode where you play as a girl trying to rescue her father, who was trying to rescue her mother.

Then suddenly you're playing as that girl's mother trying to make sure that the misfortune that befell her doesn't fall upon her daughter.

Then you're suddenly playing as Mom's mom, fighting to free her entire family once and for all!

And I think that's pretty cool.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM
New Video World is out!

You know what's not pretty cool? Spoilers
Old 05-08-2015, 04:18 PM
Set phasers to hug

Well, this happened. Or almost did, at any rate...
Old 05-08-2015, 11:28 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund View Post
That was painful to watch. :C
Old 05-09-2015, 10:00 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsund View Post
OOF.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:18 AM

New high score of 14385 with a glass bow and ring of wonder which I didn't get until 4-2 :\
If only I could have started with a gold weapon and gotten the ring earlier...if only
Old 05-23-2015, 01:52 PM
King Of Space-Time

Angry

Wow, Zone 4 is just packed with griefer mobs/traps.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:02 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

This game is the best.

I've been speedrunning Melody. Original goal was sub-10, but I'm down to 7:09. I can definitely do sub-7 at this point.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Sudden chomper

Just happened to be out on the town when what did I see in a sidewalk sale but an Xbox 360 dance pad for $10! Brought it home and hooked it up to my PC and it seems to work very well - with the one the exception that it seems to freak out when I push opposite directions at the same time. Well, freak out is a strong word, but in the Control Panel joystick configuration window, it refused to show both directions at once (the arrows are mapped to the hat switch). Would that prevent me from using it to play Necrodancer?
Old 05-30-2015, 11:01 AM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Just happened to be out on the town when what did I see in a sidewalk sale but an Xbox 360 dance pad for $10! Brought it home and hooked it up to my PC and it seems to work very well - with the one the exception that it seems to freak out when I push opposite directions at the same time. Well, freak out is a strong word, but in the Control Panel joystick configuration window, it refused to show both directions at once (the arrows are mapped to the hat switch). Would that prevent me from using it to play Necrodancer?
It would make Necrodancing more complicated, since a few special abilities are keyed to "Left+Right" or "Up+Down". Can you try to remap the arrows to something where opposite directions aren't mutually exclusive? Maybe with Joy2Key or something?
Old 05-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
It would make Necrodancing more complicated, since a few special abilities are keyed to "Left+Right" or "Up+Down". Can you try to remap the arrows to something where opposite directions aren't mutually exclusive? Maybe with Joy2Key or something?
Hmm, I was reading about this and it sounds like you're right. I think I can work around the problem by mapping the ABXY buttons on the pad to directions so that I have duplicates. It's not ideal, but I won't find a pad this good for $10 anywhere else, so maybe I'll just live with it.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:02 AM

Holy crap, so this just happened.
The only downside is that the RNG I need on items to beat that score is probably now astronomical.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:58 AM
King Of Space-Time

If Melody is NewGame +, Aria is NewGame - - -.

I die Horatio. So much.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Sudden chomper

So I've played a bunch of this game! I didn't use the dance pad for long, because the game was too damn hard that way, and even with the keyboard it took me a good 18 hours or so to master all the zones. Since then, I've finished the game with Cadence and, not long after her, Melody.

And for that, my reward was unlocking Aria, AKA SUPER FUCKING HARD MODE. I can accomplish a lot of things in videogames, but playing perfectly is not among them.

So instead, I decided to try some of the other characters to see how they changed the gameplay up. I started with the monk the other night and good lord does that take some retraining. Not only do you have to get over the ingrained loop of "kill monster > grab shiny stuff" that you've been doing for so long, but fighting in cramped areas becomes a very challenging puzzle. Every time you kill a monster in a hallway, it suddenly becomes impassible. It makes getting a decent shovel your highest priority, because otherwise you can find yourself completely walled in by deadly, deadly gold. My first few attempts all ended comically before finishing zone 1, but it's an interesting challenge and I think I'll stick with it.

After that, I might try to master the pacifist or bomberman runs. Hoppy Dad doesn't sound like a lot of fun, and there's apparently one that doubles the tempo of the game which is like, ha ha, no way.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:35 AM
post-mystic lich princess

Personally, I find the constant adjustments of position that Dorian does to be one of the most fun, speedrun-wise. The somewhat instinctual responses the beat demands does require another layer entirely to deal with the mental overlaying of grids required to adjust the hopping, but because of that it makes him very unique amongst the other characters. He also only needs one rather reliable drop of a good weapon to demolish the opposition with his beginning equipment, which is rather appreciated when constant diving usually leaves characters rather weak and reliant on luck to have much strength. If only Zone 4 wasn't so anathema to his play...

Then again, I also like double-time Bolt, and have Aria wins already.

I started playing a lot of other things before I managed an actual All Characters run, which I feel like I should do at some point. The game's level design is still gorgeous on a number of fronts, making it worthy of dissection, and I'd like to at least try and see how far I can make it with perfect-play (not-backwards-levels) lethal-gold double-time goblin girl Aria. I'm kind of saddened that the practically impossible was achieved and two different people managed to win with her, though: I liked the premise of the merely humanly unattainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
So instead, I decided to try some of the other characters to see how they changed the gameplay up. I started with the monk the other night and good lord does that take some retraining. Not only do you have to get over the ingrained loop of "kill monster > grab shiny stuff" that you've been doing for so long, but fighting in cramped areas becomes a very challenging puzzle. Every time you kill a monster in a hallway, it suddenly becomes impassible. It makes getting a decent shovel your highest priority, because otherwise you can find yourself completely walled in by deadly, deadly gold. My first few attempts all ended comically before finishing zone 1, but it's an interesting challenge and I think I'll stick with it.
I also rather like Monk's blood shovel, as it makes the item actually have use besides the extreme pains of scorerunning: you technically start with the strongest shovel as you desperately need, but also one that costs dearly to do anything better than the default shovel. Fun fact: when I brought up the blood shovel with DO as it was first added as a normal random item, we ended up thinking it'd work best with Monk, so he made a suggestion thread on such and it ended up going in.

Tags
beat cameo , crypt of the necrodancer , curse of the necrodancer , dancing skeletons , rhythm games , rhythm roguelike , roguelike , roguelike-like