The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-18-2010, 01:09 AM
The Best Fancyman

I fucking love Doom. You wanna know what I love the most? Weapon mods. The Doom 2-standard fist-chainsaw-pistol-shotgun-super shotgun-chaingun-rocket launcher-plasma rifle-BFG 9000 set up is all well and good, and it does its job admirably, but after a while I started to wonder what else was out there. Brother, let me tell you - if you're tired of the standard weapon set, there are more than enough mods/wads/whatever out there that'll slake your thirst for new ordinance.

For this post, I'm only going to introduce two of the more popular weapon mods, both of which are randomizers that organize weapons and monsters into lists (weapons by slot number, monsters by power level in relation to the base game's monsters) and replace weapon, monster, and sometimes item instances with random spawners.

One of the most popular (and in some circles, controversial) weapon mods is Aeons of Death. AEOD's weapon randomizer uses a different slot setup than the base game - slot 1 is thrown explosives, slot 2 is melee, slot 3 is pistols, etc., on up to the last few slots which are all varying levels of screen-clearing, ammo-guzzling superweapons. Thing is, the developers basically took the "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" method of weapon selection. There are guns from Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen, Heretic, Half-Life 1 and 2, Blood 1 and 2, Powerslave/Exhumed, and countless others. On top of that, there are tons of new powerups and healing items, like portable medkits, portable invincibility items, ice shields, flight spells, icons of summoning, and more. "But wait", you say, "won't all these crazy and powerful new guns and items throw off the game's balance massively?" Well, yes, they would...if not for all the new monsters, also from many different games, who are more than eager to reduce you to a fine red paste. On top of all this added content, Hexen style classes have been implemented. Instead of three completely different characters, however, you get six class "groups", each with their own unique HUD and starting weapons, with three different characters in each group, each one having different max HP, movement speed, jump height, and SFX.

Secondly is Scalliano's 667 Shuffle, so named because most of the monsters and weapons are taken from Realm667, a website where people can donate their created Doom/Doom 2 monsters and weapons for use in mods. The monsters and weapons in the mod were specially chosen by the creator, Scalliano, to fit in with the normal Doom universe as closely as possible. All the monsters are variants, however far removed, on the base game's monsters, and all the weapons have the same mix of low-tech and futuristic that we've come to know and love from Doom and Doom 2. If AEOD seems a bit too daunting for you, 667 Shuffle might be right up your alley.

Last edited by SimonTheDigger; 11-20-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
This is the only Doom that matters.
Man I've got to start watching more Baliwoord because it is clearly amazing...
Old 11-18-2010, 12:02 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

My biggest reason for still loving Doom: I'm still quite good at it in multiplayer.

Ultimate Doom is an awesome little package. Sure, it's hard as hell (npi), but with modern thinking it's not impossible to work around.

My only real gripe with the original is that I think they could've worked more enemies into there. I don't mind the environments being similar, but that's one of the times when I would've been fine with palette swaps.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
My biggest reason for still loving Doom: I'm still quite good at it in multiplayer.

Ultimate Doom is an awesome little package. Sure, it's hard as hell (npi), but with modern thinking it's not impossible to work around.

My only real gripe with the original is that I think they could've worked more enemies into there. I don't mind the environments being similar, but that's one of the times when I would've been fine with palette swaps.
I was only ever good at Quake 2 when it came to multiplayer. I wasn't bad at Unreal Tournament 2000 or 2003 either. But I was good at Quake 2 (preferably with the lithium mod)
Old 11-18-2010, 12:24 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quake 2 was one of my favourite games, but I never played it much in multiplayer. I was more impressed how they managed to pull off a solid single-player campaign that actually had some story to it, especially after the "here's a random assortment of levels" thing in the first one.

But this thread is about Doom.

I actually rented Doom 64 once. I think it lasted about ten minutes before we popped it out and never touched it again.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I bought Doom 64 and was like "Wait where's the MIDI metal music? Why is this shit trying to be scary with all this ambient music nonsense?" and barely ever played it.

I still haven't played Doom 3 (well I played it a bit at a friends for like an hour but that was it) and I don't really care. Doom isn't meant to be scary and I hate it when they try to make it like it.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Fun Club Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I still haven't played Doom 3 (well I played it a bit at a friends for like an hour but that was it) and I don't really care. Doom isn't meant to be scary and I hate it when they try to make it like it.
You just know that's what Doom 4 is going to be.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Kills Thousands

I've actually read that John Carmack wants Doom 4 to have more of an action feel like the first two games instead of the whole complete and utter darkness thing they had going on for 3. Of course, it'll probably take at least 87 years for it to come out, so we may as well just stick with what we have.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Little Waves

For the original games, I prefer Bobby Prince's score in general, but Aubrey Hodges's more atmospheric score gave me my favorite Doom track, and one of my favorite game compositions overall.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:50 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I hope so. I mean, Doom was never scary. I played that game when I was eight and I never thought it was scary. Then Doom 3 came and I was all like buhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
For the original games, I prefer Bobby Prince's score in general, but Aubrey Hodges's more atmospheric score gave me my favorite Doom track, and one of my favorite game compositions overall.
To be fair, the PSX Doom music and Doom 64 music is good for what it is (that track is the opening in Doom 64 as well). I really like that song you linked to. It's obviously dated, but it really fits Doom...

...but at the same time, it totally doesn't fit Doom. Because Doom, to me, is all about listening to a rip off of Slayer or Testament or whatever while punching Imps until they explode. Incidentally, the only correct way to listen to original Doom music is in SoundBlaster. If anyone tells you otherwise, they're an idiot.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Kills Thousands

Also, Alixsar, you should really consider playing Doom 64 at some point. I truly do believe that it has some of the best maps in all of Doom and it has a unique feel that sets it apart from the original games. It was ported by fans to PC and only needs the original Doom2.wad if you still have that kicking around somewhere. The best part is that if the lack of rocking midi music turns you off of the game, you can just ignore the sound file and play with the Doom 2 soundtrack. So next time you're in the mood for some Doom, maybe check out the PC version. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I did. I bought it when it came out. I beat the shit out of that big ass slug thing, and I even did all of the bullshit you had to do in advance so you could shut off those teleporters so you'd even remotely stand a chance (which was crap, btw).

I just didn't like it. Doom 1/2/FD is where it's at, and where it always will be.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 AM
There's no thread shortag

Quote:
I bought Doom 64 and was like "Wait where's the MIDI metal music? Why is this shit trying to be scary with all this ambient music nonsense?" and barely ever played it.
Quote:
I did. I bought it when it came out. I beat the shit out of that big ass slug thing, and I even did all of the bullshit you had to do in advance so you could shut off those teleporters so you'd even remotely stand a chance (which was crap, btw).
Now what? Is the second quote just the first level?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 AM
Little Waves

Playing through the game once is probably much less than Alix has played Final/Doom/II.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:46 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
To be fair, the PSX Doom music and Doom 64 music is good for what it is (that track is the opening in Doom 64 as well). I really like that song you linked to. It's obviously dated, but it really fits Doom...

...but at the same time, it totally doesn't fit Doom. Because Doom, to me, is all about listening to a rip off of Slayer or Testament or whatever while punching Imps until they explode.
Doom can be enjoyed in many ways. While I totaly agree that Doom is never scary, I still prefer the darker, moodier lighting and atmospheric soundtrack of Playstation Doom. Not because it's scary, but because it's awesome. Makes you feel like a proper demon slayer. The original Doom is awesome too, of course, but in a different way.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:27 AM
i musnt run away

Wow, as a longtime Doom fan I never knew that the PSX version of the game had an entirely different soundtrack. I am intensely curious now. Listening to some of the tracks they do feel immensely more threatening and scary. I can't tell how well that would translate to the gameplay though, where the feisty metal tunes helped match the fast pace of the action.

Man, in retrospect this really makes me wish that the XBLA version of the game had featured a toggling soundtrack you could change at your pleasure. I would be quite fascinated to play the game in this manner.

Last edited by blinkpen; 11-19-2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:45 AM

I love Doom, and I think the XBLA port is quite excellent (it's controller is ideal in my opinion).

Anybody got a favourite episode? I'm very partial to the first episode of The Ultimate Doom.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
This could be a Wing Commander song.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:51 AM
i musnt run away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
I love Doom, and I think the XBLA port is quite excellent (it's controller is ideal in my opinion).
I should note that I don't dispute this at all. There is only one real problem I have with it and it's that the music plays ever so slightly slower in the XBLA version and having played it so very very much on the computer years ago it's very noticeable to me.

That minor nitpicking issue I have also factors into why I would have liked an optional alternate PSX soundtrack.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Banned

I started replaying Ultimate DOOM today and it is just fantastic. I forgot where all the secrets are!
Old 11-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Kills Thousands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
Anybody got a favourite episode? I'm very partial to the first episode of The Ultimate Doom.
My favorite will always be Episode 2. It has a great mix of Hell and techbase and introduces some of the best monsters.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM
BAG

Wasn't it all the console ports of Doom before XBox were missing some monsters and enemies? Even the Gameboy Advance?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Playing through the game once is probably much less than Alix has played Final/Doom/II.
Kishi has the right of it.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:00 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Oh I love Doom 3. I love that it's scary. It is! Plus I just like the futuristic, on Mars setting. Doom 3 is top titties, in my book. Graphics on the environments still look good too.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

Cleared Episode 2 last night. Since I haven't played this since I was a little kid this is the first time I'm playing without cheats. It is much more of an action game than what I would now call an FPS, but I'm always digging the level design. We've all seen the level design graphic gag, right?

Next up: Inferno!
Old 11-19-2010, 07:30 PM
i musnt run away

Doom 3 was compelling to me for its graphics and scare factor. It definitely worked well as a horror game for the most part. But it just wasn't Doom to me. To me Doom is fighting monstrous hordes of enemies by the skin of your teeth, not shuffling about in the dark with enemies sneaking up on you one at a time.

Also I thought some of the monster designs were too "McFarlaney".
Old 11-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

I was never a big fan of Doom, so maybe that's why I preferred Doom 64's atmosphere. The way you could look up in certain areas and just see space made you feel completely isolated, and playing the game itself was extremely tense.

On the other hand, I couldn't get into Doom 3. I admit it made me jump a couple of times, but more often than not I was just frustrated that I couldn't see a damn thing. I've had people suggest the mods before, and while I'm sure it helps, it doesn't make me like the game more if I have to go out of my way to install something that lets me get around how the developers intended the game to be played.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 AM

I actually really enjoyed Doom 64.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:24 AM
swimming with nanocarp

I heard that the expansion to Doom 3 is actually more in line with the action of the original games. IS THIS TRUE?

Of course, I own them both on steam so I could just play it and find out, but I'm lazy...
Old 11-20-2010, 12:05 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I guess I can see why old school Doom fans aren't crazy about 3, but I love horror games, and 3 is definitely dark and scary. I hope the sequel is just like it, but...that's me.

Tags
doom , first-person shooters , huge guts , id software , rip and tear