The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-16-2017, 02:01 AM
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakupo View Post
Help I reached the first point you can open the license grid and immediately reached decision paralysis about job choices oh no
Help I picked jobs at random and then spent all day playing this game instead of getting anything done oh no
Old 07-16-2017, 07:02 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
When you have the map screen up you can select individual sections of map to see the name of that section. The section where that hunt shows up is labeled "Giza North Bank".
Yeah press the ps4 touchpad thing and it'll bring up the actual map so you can see the area names and that'll help. Also it seems like the hunt menu under the clan primer will mark where you need to go?? I know it marks the quest giver location.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:35 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Yeah press the ps4 touchpad thing and it'll bring up the actual map so you can see the area names and that'll help. Also it seems like the hunt menu under the clan primer will mark where you need to go?? I know it marks the quest giver location.
Yeah, once you've talked to the person who posted the bill, go to the Clan Primer in your menu, and select the mark you are hunting. There should be a button you can press that will show the location of the mark on a map.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:11 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

I'll have to check for that button next time. Or do you have to go through the Clan Primer menu? I know just pulling up the map in general didn't show anything for Cluckatrice or Flowering Cactoid. A map is a map is a map; I expect the map to show me everything relevant.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:21 AM
Mystery Contraption

In the case of the Cluckatrice, you need to fulfill other requirements before it spawns too.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I'll have to check for that button next time. Or do you have to go through the Clan Primer menu? I know just pulling up the map in general didn't show anything for Cluckatrice or Flowering Cactoid. A map is a map is a map; I expect the map to show me everything relevant.
To get the mark location that you're hunting, you need to go through the Clan Primer. But if you simply want to see the names for each section of the area you're in, all you need to do is bring up the map screen with the touchpad and then use the control pad to navigate.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:28 AM
so exciting!

wow i radically misunderstood quickening licenses. for some reason i got it in my head that they only activated on one job board, but like every other license they activate on both. i could have had an extra cura caster all this time
Old 07-16-2017, 10:58 AM
TARANTUL

Quote:
This game was feeling a lot easier than the original version, and I realized it was probably because the original game only had 5 Battle Lore augments and 5 Magic Lore augments and in this game Monk by itself has 16 Battle Lores.

Being able to control guests is also a huge boon - being in control of Vossler's debuffs trivializes Marks and scenario bosses a like.
On the other hand without berserk I wasn't able to kill the first demon wall this go.

Anyone found the button to reassign your leader on the party screen?

Is the little achivement room with the main characters gone in favor of trophies?
Old 07-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Mystery Contraption

You can change your leader with the up or down d-pad
Old 07-16-2017, 11:25 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Is the little achivement room with the main characters gone in favor of trophies?
Sky Pirate's Den is gone, yeah.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:54 AM
TARANTUL

Note: once you select the second license board square you can't exit without choosing a board. I was hoping to look for the entire party before picking any of them (pick one you know you want if you want to look).

Edit: or you could try square...
Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Never mind, I don't want to play this game anymore.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:39 PM
Out Of Warranty

I do mourn the demise of Sky Pirate's den, but I just saw some FFXII trophies in my timeline and they are adorable.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:35 PM
so exciting!

Me: Wait, the Feywood? I thought the jungle emptied out directly into the ice place? Oh well I guess a buffer zone like this makes more sense.
30 seconds later:
Old 07-16-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Me: Wait, the Feywood? I thought the jungle emptied out directly into the ice place? Oh well I guess a buffer zone like this makes more sense.
30 seconds later:
Don't you have to pass the portion of the jungle that has all the Level 38-39 monsters before reaching the Feywood? It's not exactly a place you can wander into by accident.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:13 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuarzo Falcone View Post
Don't you have to pass the portion of the jungle that has all the Level 38-39 monsters before reaching the Feywood? It's not exactly a place you can wander into by accident.
The coeurls were pretty manageable when you can set Larsa's gambits to ensure he casts Cura, and the dinosaur at the end was weak to Air (or maybe Water?), so Black Mage Ashe basically ruined its day. I just assumed the game was getting more challenging.

The swarm of hasted tomatoes in the Feywood though? Bad news.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Never mind, I don't want to play this game anymore.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:18 PM
TARANTUL

Anyone see any effort to try and chart out how all the license boards interlock? The game makes no effort to do so but I'd like to see it just for edification (and min-maxing it could be a fun thought experiment).

Also the orchestrated soundtrack is wonderful but now I'm just pining for Vagrant Story to get the same treatment...
Old 07-17-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Oh my God.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:18 PM
so exciting!

Turns out Poles and Spears can hit flying enemies in this, and since Poles and Spears are the exclusive property of two of the toughest physical classes in the game it sort of... makes flying enemies much less of an issue.

Anyway, heading through the Paramina Rift to the Stillshrine of Miriam, and this is the part of the game where things start getting fuzzy for me.

Quote:
Anyone see any effort to try and chart out how all the license boards interlock? The game makes no effort to do so but I'd like to see it just for edification (and min-maxing it could be a fun thought experiment).
I'm sure people are working on it. It's pretty funny to see licenses that are blocked off by Esper gap already filled out because you picked them up in your other job though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Question: what are the worst job combos?
Machinist/Anything tbh. A lot of people suggest White Mage/Machinist for Penelo because her Strength is so cruddy, but it's like, you could give her an actual good Physical job instead and she'd pick up enough Battle Lores to deal more damage than Machinist.

I guess Monk/Uhlan seems kind of redundant? Red Battlemage/White Mage too (people are willing to put up with Red Battlemage/Black Mage's redundancy because it means you can equip a Flame Staff to boost Ardor's damage)

Last edited by Pajaro Pete; 07-17-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Also the orchestrated soundtrack is wonderful but now I'm just pining for Vagrant Story to get the same treatment...
Best I found is this collection of pictures, which I stole from a gamefaqs message board. It covers all the squares on all the boards, but your going to be switching back and forth bewteen the pictures a lot to actually see the connections. If you find something better, that would be great to know:

White Mage
http://imgur.com/FdGQXQO
Uhlan
http://imgur.com/JpKygfW
Machinist
http://imgur.com/yPbuoJn
Red Battlemage
http://imgur.com/VoCffzy
Knight
http://imgur.com/BjeFleM
Monk
http://imgur.com/Zms4zqj
Time Battlemage
http://imgur.com/bemaKCH
Foebreaker
http://imgur.com/kzrLn53
Archer
http://imgur.com/kCj6P6p
Black Mage
http://imgur.com/E6xxKxj
Bushi
http://imgur.com/4fprrGO
Shikari
http://imgur.com/AYhb9RE
Old 07-17-2017, 05:37 PM
TARANTUL

Well of course the Quickening I picked for Balthier so I could just have one to finish off hard fights is the only one that doesn't gate anything on either of his boards.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:42 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
If you are looking to plan out your Zodiac Jobs so each character gets a different pair of jobs so you can see them all (because you can't ever change them once you pick)

Here's a Google doc spreadsheet that has a ton of info on the jobs and what each one has and you can see some examples of what some people are doing.

Google Doc
This doc is super useful for scouting out Espers.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:20 PM
TARANTUL

And Quickenings. Yeah, that sheet is super cool.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:15 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

I'm back in Barheim Passage, one of my favorite dungeons of all time!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Fifth Business

While I did have a few nitpicky complaints, the various tweaks and improvements more than make up for them. I'd have a hard time pinpointing my favorite change/addition, but for pure "oh, wow, HEY now!..." whenever I come across them the new songs that they sprinkled throughout to add more variety are fantastic, fitting in naturally and in the case of this one, probably now being my favorite boss music.

That section at 1:23 is just, I mean, geez, just...just give me a dragon to fight RIGHT NOW
Old 07-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Unreleased Beta Version

Maaaaaaaan, I don't want to buy this because I don't want to have to double dip when they inevitably stop waffling and release a PC version, but this topic is making that very difficult.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:57 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Since it just occurred to me, I had to make sure that the Gilgamesh fight played the proper music.

It does, so
Old 07-19-2017, 11:07 AM
This Guy

I somehow ended up in Giruvegan already; I don't know how it happened. I just can't stop playing, and I can't stop pressing forward as I do. I haven't been ignoring the hunts or side quests, I've cleared roughly half the available hunts and found an extra esper. Despite this game's reputation for being an overlong mess, if you just follow the story it is a pretty tight 40 hour game. I'm just over 30 hours in where I'm at, and if I remember correctly there are only two more areas before the end game. I want to say I am not going to blast through the last quarter of the game like I did with the rest of the game, but I can't get myself to stop. I don't think seeing the end of the game will be where I stop this time. Maybe I'll complete the bestiary like I always wanted to do.

Does anyone know where to find haste? The one thing throwing me off so far is that I don't have haste. I've checked all the shops and none of them have it. It is an odd hole among my available spells.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:17 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Haste is in a treasure in Eruyt Village - Fane of the Path area.

Tags
final fantasy , final fantasy xii , rereleases , square enix , twelve job fiesta , yasumi matsuno