The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-22-2014, 12:13 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rya View Post
Yeah SNES and GBA were the only emulators I got to run too.

Well, except I got PCSX2 to run lately (to use the English translation of PS Generations), but man that was already quite tedious.

I just don't get why people can't develop emulators so that they are easy to use. If a human can do all these 10 steps to set up the emulator then a human can also code a button that does all 10 steps automatically.

But yeah I might give it another try.
The SNES and GBA are unique in their compatibility. In almost any case, if you can run one game, you can run them all.

Other consoles aren't like that. With plugins and the like, it's impossible to have "default" settings for every computer beyond the standard plugins with basic features.

In a sentence: Welcome to PC gaming.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
The SNES and GBA are unique in their compatibility. In almost any case, if you can run one game, you can run them all.

Other consoles aren't like that. With plugins and the like, it's impossible to have "default" settings for every computer beyond the standard plugins with basic features.

In a sentence: Welcome to PC gaming.
Oh, the hoops I had to jump through to run stuff like Star Control 2 and Ultima VII...

It's really not that hard, and I'm sure someone around here (including me) would be more than happy to help you get it set up if you run into troubles, Rya.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Banned

I remembered another console that's easy to emulate! Game Gear! That's how I could play Royal Stone (go play Crystal Warrior if you haven't yet!).

Hmm, is there any step-by-step guide on how to emulate a Mega CD?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
I just don't get why people can't develop emulators so that they are easy to use.
Then why don't you make one?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Banned

I can't! But if I had the ability to make one I could also make it easy.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 AM

The shortest method:

1) Download the Sega CD BIOS ROMs. They shouldn't be hard to find.
2) Download Kega Fusion.
3) Extract Kega Fusion to the directory of your choice.
4) Extract the BIOS ROMs to the directory of your choice (a good one is a BIOS folder in your ROM directory or something similar).
5) Run Kega Fusion.
6) Click 'Options' on the upper menu, then click 'Set Config...' in the drop down.
7) Click the 'Sega CD' tab.
8) Click the 'Browse' button for the BIOS you want to set up. It's by country, so if you're running a European setup, point to where you put that BIOS rom. Most of the BIOS ROM packages include all three regions, so you can do the same for all regions.
9) Click 'OK'.
10) Click 'File' in the upper menu bar.
11) In the drop-down, click 'Load Sega CD image'.
12) At this point, it's just like loading a regular ROM. You should have a disc image in BIN + CUE or ISO format that you've either ripped or downloaded. Select that file and load it, and you should be off to the races!

If I've left something out, my apologies, I kinda did this on the fly right now. :P

EDIT: Ooooorrrrr... you could use this: http://www.fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/emuhelp_kfusion.htm

Last edited by Sarge; 04-23-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:18 PM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

So I'm leveling my newly promoted guys against Balbazak, and I have to say, promoting in SF1 sucks. I dunno if it's a GBA thing or what, but my characters are significantly worse off than before (take more damage, deal less damage, are wayyyyy less accurate, and have less HP) and when they DO level up, they don't get many stat increases at ALL (example: Ken leveled twice in 1 battle, and didn't get 1 stat increase either time, not even a single HP).

I understand it's supposed to balance out as you continue leveling up, but that's infuriating. No stats? Reeeeeally? Even though my guys are worse than they were prior to promotion? Urgggghhhhh

EDIT: Like how about, instead of giving Tao +4 speed at level 4, you give her 1 or 2 when she hits level 2, 3, and 4? Arghllblarghl
Old 04-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Are You Sure About That?

It's a game of averages, yeah. Accuracy isn't derived from your core stats, as far as I remember, and is affected far more by terrain and different movement types (ranged attack characters will basically never miss flying creatures, and have much better accuracy, while melee characters tend to do more damage and also have the ability to counterattack, which is huge).
Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Brain Genius

Ah, I see. I was having trouble hitting the Hellhounds with anybody besides mages and Zylo, and it was driving me nuts. It's not like the thing is a flying enemy or anything.

So now I've got all my guys up to level 10 promoted, besides Zylo, who I had gotten up to 17 and promoted, so he's at 1. I'll grind him up to 10 or 11 or whatever the rest of my guys are at by then and finally, FINALLY move on in the story.

Luke/Gort are absolute beasts, though. From like level 4 to 10, they were gaining 3 to 7 (!) defense at level up. Everything is hitting them for 1 HP, even crits.

What an oddly balanced stat system SF1 has. I think I'm past the BS grinding though.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Heh, no, not if you want to use Bleu and the two "secret" characters. Lemme know if you want hints for unlocking them; one is in chapter 5 now, the other chapter 6. Their cards are in their original locations however.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Brain Genius

Should I use them? I'm pretty content with my party as is, but if they're pretty necessary, I'll grind them up.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Are You Sure About That?

More like incredibly overpowered, and some of the later fights can get a bit nasty.

Hanzo (Ch. 5): Once you've cleared the fight under the island, check around the island (and reef area) for little signs, including one odd looking one attached to a dock piling in the main town section. When, you do that, examine the crate in the church, and then go to the fish sign in the NE of town. Boken might pop out the first time you hit the action button on top of it, but do it again and Hanzo will hop out and join the party. Fast, weapon has instant kill attached to it, and he learns more spells beyond Desoul now, including Attack and Shield (blocks magic damage).

Musashi (Ch. 6): After you can move around town, just like with Hanzo there are a number of signs hidden around town. The tricky one is located "outside" the town proper, and you have to edge along the left side of the gate going out and around the town wall to get to it. You can also pick up Lyle's card in the top left corner of the map while you're doing this. Once you read the sign in the bottom left of the map, make your way back into town, and examine the shirt hanging by itself on the roof of the building you woke up in. Then go examine the statue in the center of town. Hits like a truck, has HP and DEF like a truck. Also has MOV like a truck, so give him a mobility pepper/Step spell/Agility ring if you plan on using him.

Also, you can promote both of them now, which makes them even crazier.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTwenty View Post
So I'm leveling my newly promoted guys against Balbazak, and I have to say, promoting in SF1 sucks. I dunno if it's a GBA thing or what, but my characters are significantly worse off than before (take more damage, deal less damage, are wayyyyy less accurate, and have less HP) and when they DO level up, they don't get many stat increases at ALL (example: Ken leveled twice in 1 battle, and didn't get 1 stat increase either time, not even a single HP).
Well, I already told you that they are incredibly weak after being promoted. That's not just a GBA thing. I'm not sure how the growth after promoting really works. I assume if your stats are far above the growth curve you probably won't gain any until the growth curve reached them?

But yeah I guess you are already out of the critical part of the game now. I told you after promotion they get strong incredibly fast and only the weakest characters will actually take more than 1 HP damage from physical attacks.

The balance is a bit weird in SF1, but it's still part of its charm, because it's completely suprising how the stats grow.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Wait what, you can promote Musashi now? That's like giving a machine gun to a bear.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:49 AM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Well, I already told you that they are incredibly weak after being promoted. That's not just a GBA thing. I'm not sure how the growth after promoting really works. I assume if your stats are far above the growth curve you probably won't gain any until the growth curve reached them?

But yeah I guess you are already out of the critical part of the game now. I told you after promotion they get strong incredibly fast and only the weakest characters will actually take more than 1 HP damage from physical attacks.

The balance is a bit weird in SF1, but it's still part of its charm, because it's completely suprising how the stats grow.
I'll write about what I think the game is like in its entirety when I finish it, but I find it odd people think SF2 is grindy considering what I just had to do. Took me like 2 hours to grind my guys up to a point where using them is even feasible.

I promote my guys at level 20 in SF2 right around the Taros fight - either the fight before Taros, the Taros fight itself, or the one next to the Elf town after. In any one of those situations, I did not have to worry about my level 1 promotes being terrible or have to be forced to grind for an hour or two to get to the point where I can make progress. I just keep going.

Granted, it is my first playthrough of SF1 where I've gotten this far, maybe you're not supposed to promote almost everybody at once, maybe SF2 is easier than SF1, etc.

For all my complaining, though, I really am enjoying the game. So far I like it better than Hajya/CD, and I like those games, so that's something.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:21 AM

(re: Luke)

He's supposed to be 'Lug' in the original Shining Force. Mistranslation~

Been enjoying this thread immensely! GBA Fire Emblem is my favorite SRPG series, but I have mad appreciation for the original Shining Force. And yeah, while do I like the min-max/hardcore character customization SRPG a la FFT and Disgaea to certain extent, I still prefer the leaner map-centric variant. Between its accessible difficulty, diverse units, inventive maps, and the Egress, I think SF1 is an ideal entry point for this sub-genre. The town portion of the game is largely superfluous, but it's not really damaging and I do appreciate some fluff every now and then.

I've finished the original two/three times, and the GBA remake once. I think the remake has a lot more overpowered characters, but they're pretty hard to find/train without FAQ, so it evens out in the end. I always promote at 20 sans the healers, so the final stretch is an absolute cakewalk where I wreck stuff with the Elite Four of Musashi, Hanzo, Bleu and Domingo (*strangely enough, I remember Zylo being a lot less useful in the remake. Beyond his movement and large HP, his defense is non-existent and his damage output is nowhere near my top fighters that I eventually benched him). Might want to do some challenge run someday where I rand-org the units and lock myself into using only them.

I don't think grinding is ever necessary. I certainly didn't grind, except if you count carefully spoon-feeding Bleu with weakened enemies until he catch up with the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
Don't make me sad. Every time SEGA announce another Shining game that doesn't end in "Force" a kitten dies.
I once snatched Shining Soul because I think that was the GBA remake for SF. Goddamn that game was awful, and I only finished it out of spite.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:30 AM

Promoting at level 10 in SF1 is the equivalent of promoting at level 20 in SF2. So if you refight battles to promote far above level 10, and then level everyone up to level 10 again after that, you are grinding purely for its own sake. It's not because the game is designed for that much grinding.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:37 AM

It might just be how I played or bad luck, but I'd usually hit level 20 on most characters in 2 around that big Kraken battle. I'd just wait until you find equipment that unpromoted classes can't wear before you promote people. That's what I'm going to do when/if I get around to playing 2 in the near future.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Banned

Yeah Shining Soul is really horrible. I already don't really like games like Diablo but Shining Soul is a horrible game of a genre I don't like. I only got it because it's a Shining game... bleh. The game caused me to inform myself if it's even from the guys who made Shining Force and then I realized that I actually should be playing Camelot games instead. And then I loved Golden Sun. But that's another story.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:47 AM
Banned

Regarding grindy... I already said it but, SF1 and SF2 are quite different here. In SF1 you really can just promote at level 10 because after promotion your character get so strong so fast that the second half of the game is super easy even if you didn't wait until level 20 to promote. Basically the only hard part in SF1 is when you need to promote. And I guess it makes sense to grind a little there but if you promote one by one and just escape from battle you can't win, I don't really see it as grinding, but rather retrying.

SF2 isn't like that. You don't lose any stats at promotion, but the difficulty goes up as the game goes. In the end all the monster will have ?? attack (meaning more than 99) and you will take 80 damage from everything while you are having around 100 HP, whereas in SF1 you will end up with 40-60 HP or something and you will just receive 1 HP damage from all sources except magic.

SF1 candidate missions for grinding are all in the first half. Mainly it's just the circus, the abbey and whatever map you start promoting in (possible laser eye or the map after or maybe even the map before laser eye but that one is really annoying to level up in due to slow movement speed).

In SF2... hum well the kraken battle is probably the first really hard one. And then the chess battle! Man that's the hardest part of the game probably, you REALLY need to grind there unless you did all of the optional battles before. And then the second half of the game is just hard and grinding doesn't really help you because whether you have 100 HP and take 80 damage or have 103 HP and take 78 damage, you still die in two hits.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Promoting at level 10 in SF1 is the equivalent of promoting at level 20 in SF2. So if you refight battles to promote far above level 10, and then level everyone up to level 10 again after that, you are grinding purely for its own sake. It's not because the game is designed for that much grinding.
Oh. The way I was reading your posts in this thread was that the endgame would be awful if I promoted everybody at 10. Is that the case, or did I read them wrong? I'm already farther than I've ever been in SF1 and have no idea what to expect in the endgame.

Quote:
Regarding grindy... I already said it but, SF1 and SF2 are quite different here. In SF1 you really can just promote at level 10 because after promotion your character get so strong so fast that the second half of the game is super easy even if you didn't wait until level 20 to promote. Basically the only hard part in SF1 is when you need to promote. And I guess it makes sense to grind a little there but if you promote one by one and just escape from battle you can't win, I don't really see it as grinding, but rather retrying.
Agree to disagree. It is pretty easy to beat SF2 without casting Egress much at all, whereas I feel promoting in SF1 necessitates a bunch of grinding, apparently whether you promote at 10 or 20.

Quote:
SF2 isn't like that. You don't lose any stats at promotion, but the difficulty goes up as the game goes. In the end all the monster will have ?? attack (meaning more than 99) and you will take 80 damage from everything while you are having around 100 HP, whereas in SF1 you will end up with 40-60 HP or something and you will just receive 1 HP damage from all sources except magic.
I haven't gotten to that point yet in SF1, but what is interesting about taking 1 damage from guys that aren't casting spells at you? It sounds really easy.

Quote:
SF1 candidate missions for grinding are all in the first half. Mainly it's just the circus, the abbey and whatever map you start promoting in (possible laser eye or the map after or maybe even the map before laser eye but that one is really annoying to level up in due to slow movement speed).
I loved the Laser Eye battle and it was kind of difficult, but man, the circus and abbey were really easy in the GBA version. I wonder if they're more difficult in the Genesis version? I didn't grind at all and barely even registered that they were kind of notorious battles until I came back to this thread.

Quote:
In SF2... hum well the kraken battle is probably the first really hard one. And then the chess battle! Man that's the hardest part of the game probably, you REALLY need to grind there unless you did all of the optional battles before. And then the second half of the game is just hard and grinding doesn't really help you because whether you have 100 HP and take 80 damage or have 103 HP and take 78 damage, you still die in two hits.
The Kraken battle is pretty tough, yeah. The chess battle isn't even fair, though. Like you would have to grind like crazy to be able to kill every piece. I usually make a beeline for the King and take my losses along the way.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:45 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Shade Abbey is easier in the remake, I believe. Also if you succeed at the special conditions at the battle before you get the anti-undead rod which helps trivialise it. As I remember it my heaviest hitters were struggling to two hit ko a zombie, which made Tao the most important character to keep alive.

The circus was definitely easier in the remake. Freeze Level 3 that Marionette is so happy to throw around is multi target making it very difficult to safely approach. Making level 3 single target is a huge nerf.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Banned

Oh true because the GBA version has bonus rewards and Freeze 3 is nerfed it must be a lot easier in several battles.

Quote:
I haven't gotten to that point yet in SF1, but what is interesting about taking 1 damage from guys that aren't casting spells at you? It sounds really easy.
It isn't interesting, it's a flaw.
But it's not a flaw in character growth. Character growth is interesting because it's so surprising and individual. Like you can talk with other how much HP Ken gets early on and stuff. Interesting!

The problem isn't the character growth but rather that the monsters towards the end don't grow as fast as you character, they get like 3-6 def on level up but a new monster has only like 2 atk more than the previous one. Also what makes the end ridiculously easy is that at some point no new monsters actually show up (maybe the memory was used up?), so they just throw old monsters at you which are of course even easier. The monsters in the final battle except the bosses have only 40 atk... there are already monsters with that much attack 2 chapters earlier!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Uh, no? Skullforces in the GBA version (the mecha skull things in the original in the last couple maps) have 60+ ATK on a regular cycle, let alone on NG+ (SF1's NG+ carries over the cards you've earned and a few other things along with recruiting the new characters sooner, but the monsters grow a bit stronger with each loop).
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Banned

Hmm oh yeah I forget that those are spawning at the end, but the final battle is mostly Torch Eye (42 atk) and Steel Claws (41 atk). Not to mention high priests which have been in battles since forever and won't even give you any exp anymore.

The hardest are really the armed skeletons, chimera and blue dragons and the armed skeletons already appear in chapter 7, so there isn't really much of a difficulty increase in chapter 8 anymore.

I dunno I felt that chapter 8 needs harder monsters. Like another tier of mages and priests and a higher tier of those steel claws and torch eyes with 70+ attack.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Brain Genius

Quote:
It isn't interesting, it's a flaw.
But it's not a flaw in character growth. Character growth is interesting because it's so surprising and individual. Like you can talk with other how much HP Ken gets early on and stuff. Interesting!
Fair enough. Seems oddly balanced.

I know I seem really down on SF1 but I'm really enjoying this playthrough. It's quite a good game! I'm trying not to let nostalgia and blind devotion to SF2 ruin me for it. One day I'll play through the Genesis version too. I also need to finish SF3 one of thse days... and the final bits of CD...
Old 04-24-2014, 03:53 PM

@BuckTwenty:
If you got the wrong impression it is because I was trying to remain neutral on when you should promote. When I posted my reply it sounded like you already decided on promoting at 20, which to me means you wanted to power level. I didn't want to sound like an elitist expert who insists on playing a different way. Power leveling does make the game easy, but even I find it fun to play that way too.

Regarding how easy SF1 is towards the end: It's true that the biggest threat is from non-physical attacks. But even in games where I am careful not to lose any characters in any battle, I still usually lose multiple people in the final few battles because of those Chimeras and Torch Eyes. My experience is that if you strictly avoid egressing and measure your success by character deaths then the last battles are unusually tough compared to the rest of the game.

Last edited by dosboot; 04-24-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
@BuckTwenty:
If you got the wrong impression it is because I was trying to remain neutral on when you should promote. When I posted my reply it sounded like you already decided on promoting at 20, which to me means you wanted to power level. I didn't want to sound like an elitist expert who insists on playing a different way.
You're good! You didn't sound like an elitist expert to me. I did ask how to "best" level my guys haha. And as I said above, I've been enjoying the vast majority of my playthrough, and now that I'm over the promotion hump, I think I'll probably enjoy the rest of the game.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Banned

I'm playing Shining Force CD now. *happy*
Too bad they removed the exploration aspect.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-27-2014, 01:07 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

I'm one of those jerks that thinks FFT is the greatestest thing ever, but Shining Force was my first srpg way back in yon childhood days. I didn't actually get to do a full run of the game until a few years ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's pretty clunky, but all things considered I think it's aged respectably.

The main thing I remember is that the hero is kind of a glass wiener that can't take hits at all. I probably fudged something like promoting him too soon, but it was a problem that only got worse as the game went on, and by the endgame anything would one-shot him. It was really sad and my only consolation was I had the bird dude that used swords so I had someone that could use the Awesome Final Sword.

If I could change one thing about the game though, it would be to make a lot of the battlefields smaller. There's a lot of empty space between groups of mobs, and the stand-still ai only makes it worse.

Tags
shining force , zylo'd