The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-15-2017, 06:38 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Match hit exactly the reason the book and movie are so different. In one, Jack is a monster because of ghosts, and in the other Jack is a monster and also there are ghosts.
The scene where Jack is sitting in bed in a blue bathrobe with Danny having a tense banal conversation is like documentary footage of my youth.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:18 AM
It's all good, man

I don't understand how recognizing that Jack Torrance is a piece of shit is somehow a criticism of the movie.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
The scene where Jack is sitting in bed in a blue bathrobe with Danny having a tense banal conversation is like documentary footage of my youth.
I have no idea how Kubrick tapped so perfectly into the suffocating dread a child feels when they're alone with their abuser, but he did so perfectly.

An interesting trick to play on yourself, which I stole from Todd Alcott, is to think of the Overlook as the film's protagonist. Completely changes the tenor of the opening interview.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I know I am way behind on this. Very sorry. Professional and personal commitments have been taking up most of my time.

Triple feature tonight?!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:22 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Every year around Halloween it seems like there is at least once theater around us showing this movie. Theaters tend to do a poor job advertising stuff like this. Do some research, because if you have an opportunity to see this film on a big screen, you absolutely must.
An indie theater in Denver plays it for their midnight movie every New Year's and I've gone at least twice now and I'm probably going this year too. It's really awesome to see on a big screen.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
One of the film comment wags on SA likes to bring up how the director of Nightmare on Elm Street 2 swears up and down that he didn't make a movie about how internalized homophobia kills. Meanwhile on screen...
I've been meaning to check this thread more. Anyways, the director may not have intended that, but the screenwriter was a closeted gay man and, well, yeah. He talks pretty openly about it now. (Nightmare 2 is still pretty bad.)
Old 10-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Nonplussed

Peeping Tom

One I added to the list that I got from various "movies you should have watched" posts over the years. It came out the same year as Psycho, but apparently caused a huge controversy, got hacked up by producers, and got banned in various places. It's a well-made movie that follows a very creepy serial killer who murders women and films it for his own twisted purposes. The main character is supposed to be British, but is played by a German who has a bit of an accent. His milquetoast demeanor reminded me somehow of Peter Lorre in M. The movie makes Mark a bit sympathetic due to his upbringing, so the ending feels like a weird kind of tragedy, which is probably what caused so much controversy.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:04 PM
Nonplussed

Starry Eyes

So, this movie was apparently Kickstarted? What I thought was going to be an "aspiring actress sells her soul to the Devil" story based on the synopsis I'd seen was ultimately more than that. Sarah's deterioration was incredibly grotesque. I'm not sure it totally hung together since I don't know why the second audition went down the way it did, but there were some good scenes and Alex Essoe's performance was strong.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Nonplussed

Carrie

I haven't seen this one for quite a while, but it still totally works. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are so good, and the staging and sound design for the prom chaos are excellent. The way everything drops away as the dousing of the blood is being drawn out and then slowly everything comes to a head until the gym is engulfed in flames and a completely bloody Carrie metes out her revenge works so well. I always found the stinger of the hand coming out of the ground incredibly disturbing as well for some reason.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:22 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Matchstick please carry on w/o me momentarily.

life kind of blew up on me.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:24 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Horror Quickies w/ Flawgic

Peeping Tom - A boy tortured by his father grows up a narcissistic obsessive who attempts to find the location of his own fear through cinema.
Which would be weird but fine if it wasn't for all the young ladies he has to kill along the way.

I think this movie has a much more interesting, complex, and sympathetic take on the killer's motivations than most of these movies do. Interesting framing and camera work as well.

Starry Eyes - The real horror is Hollywood.

Oh, and Satanism.

Despite a few indie scene moments (the pool and the Los Angeles River) I really enjoyed this movie. Some truly disturbing moments in it. Matchstick is spot on with the transformation and Alex.

Carrie (1976) - The only truly horrific thing about this film is how the camera lingers over the bodies of supposedly adolescent girls.

High school is tough. Either you're good at sports and everyone loves you. Or you suck at them and you kill all your classmates in a horrific supernatural show force of terror and fire.

I often wonder why I chose the former and not the latter...

Sissy Spacek is aces. The ending doesn't make a lot of sense. The sexualization is creepy. Least believable teenagers ever.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 PM
Nonplussed

The Orphanage

It turns out that I'd already watched this movie shortly after it came out in 2007, which I didn't realize until it was almost over. It's a Spanish movie that is "presented" by Guillermo del Toro, and it's obvious why he did it, since it feels of a piece with his work. It's a dark fairy tale/ghost story. It's not scary, but it has an enjoyable story/mystery/tragedy at its heart.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 PM
Nonplussed

It

I went to see this the same day I watched Carrie, so it was an all King movie day. I thought the young actors did a fantastic job, Pennywise was quite good (albeit not Tim Curry, but duh), and cutting the dopey sex scene was a very good choice. Cutting the story to just the kids gave the movie time to breathe, and bypasses my major problem with the novel in that it's too long and doesn't really stick the landing, because giant spider.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:55 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default El Orfanato

El Orfanato or The Orphanage - A young girl is at an orphanage is adopted. Years later she, along with her husband, buy the orphanage, renovate it and move into it with their son. They plan to open the place up as a home for special needs children.

Then things get a little creepy.

The son makes some imaginary friends, a creepy old lady shows up with a file about the son (turns out he is adopted! And he has HIV.) Imaginary friends teach son a game treasure hunt game that grants wishes... which leads him to find said file.

Then things get a creepier.

Children show up. Son is grumpy doesn't want to meet them. Mom and son fight. Son disappears. Creepy kid in a burlap sack mask shows up. Creepy kid chases Mom. Mom ends up locked and bruised up in a bathroom. No one else noticed creepy kid.

Some more creepy please? Oh, thank you!

Six months of searching for their son has lead done nothing but give Mom and Dad grey hairs. Police think he was kidnapped by creepy old lady. While following other leads. Mom sees creepy old lady in the street. Calls out to her seconds before creepy lady is run over by a van.

Now give me all of that creepy!

Turns out! Creepy old lady used to work back at the old orphanage, right after Mom got adopted, she brought her deformed son with her. And I know you know whats coming, don't you? He wore a burlap sack mask and was hidden away. But the other orphans still made fun of him and he drowned due to one of their pranks.

That's the stuff! Ah! More!

Seance time! Dead orphans demand justice because the creepy old lady killed all of them. Dad is way weirded out and he bails. (Men, am I right ladies?)

Mom, who is now also kind of creepy, tries to restore the Orphanage to how it was when she was a child there. And then tries to get the orphan ghosts to talk to her. And they do! Well, mostly they play that game that she played earlier with her son except for this time it leads to her son!? Who was locked in a secret basement.

But he is dead. You also knew that was coming, right?

Now here is the real twist! Ready? The Mom did it! Well, and ghost deformed boy's fault a little too. A series of random, unrelated events, lead to the son being trapped down there. Where he died.

Mom is heartbroken. And overdoses on sleeping pills. Now as Ghost Mom she gets to look over her son and all the other ghost orphans forever!

Isn't that sweet? No, no it isn't that is creepy. Haven't you been paying attention?!

Moral of the story? Don't have kids.

This movie gets 5 out of 6 Killer Ghost Orphans.

This was a good movie. It's slow and methodical. It doesn't rush into scares and certainly doesn't overload with digital trickery. At times it does feel a little sentimental and exploitive of both disfigured people and mothers.

Belen Rueda who plays the Mom is great. Everyone else is mostly just there.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:11 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Phantasm

I'm not seeing IT until later this week.

Phantasm - I could try and relate to you the story of this movie. But, I'm not sure there is one. There is a boy and his older brother. There are people dying. There is a creepy funeral home and its creepy mortician except when the Mortician is a sexy lady? And the bodies of people are being turned into undead dwarf slaves? And there's some other planet? And a psychic? And fingers turn into killer flies. And, and, and, and...

But nothing really matters? How did this end up on the list?

10 out 10 head scratching WTFs?

I guess this is some sort of cult classic? I can't imagine why. It's just as bad as Legend of Boggy Creek was. Random flukes I guess. Meritocracy is dead.

Silly and short are the nicest things I can say about. That mess of an attempt at a story... Like something a little kid would relate to you.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:09 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I'm not seeing IT until later this week.

Phantasm - I could try and relate to you the story of this movie. But, I'm not sure there is one. There is a boy and his older brother. There are people dying. There is a creepy funeral home and its creepy mortician except when the Mortician is a sexy lady? And the bodies of people are being turned into undead dwarf slaves? And there's some other planet? And a psychic? And fingers turn into killer flies. And, and, and, and...

But nothing really matters? How did this end up on the list?

10 out 10 head scratching WTFs?

I guess this is some sort of cult classic? I can't imagine why. It's just as bad as Legend of Boggy Creek was. Random flukes I guess. Meritocracy is dead.

Silly and short are the nicest things I can say about. That mess of an attempt at a story... Like something a little kid would relate to you.
if you're not seeing it until later in the week how did you write a review
Old 10-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Nonplussed

Phantasm

I saw this way back in the day, but barely remembered it. It's considered a cult classic, so I stuck it on the list to rewatch. I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as Boggy Creek, but I agree it's not great. The director apparently had the idea for it come to him in a dream, which is appropriate, because there's a lot of goofy dream logic at work. There's a good gag with the flying ball that is way over the top with the blood spewing, and there's a nice image of the Tall Man backed by a cemetary while looming over Mike as he sleeps. Overall, it was a movie that I watched.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:49 PM
Nonplussed

The Devil's Backbone

One of the few Guillermo del Toro movies that I hadn't gotten around to seeing, yet. I didn't enjoy it as much as Pan's Labyrinth or the Hellboys, but I did like it. The effects around the ghost were fantastic, and it's well staged and shot as you would expect from del Toro. As I noted in my comments about The Orphanage, that movie felt of a piece with del Toro's work and this movie would go well on a double bill with that one. There's a palpable sense of doom overhanging the whole movie, although not despair, which is a neat trick.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:21 PM
Nonplussed

Train to Busan

My favorite of all the movies I hadn't previously seen. Great action sequences, propulsive direction, and interesting dynamics of "every one for themselves" vs. "help your fellow survivors". I don't care about having any fast zombies throwdown. They can be done well as shown by this movie and others.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default IT

IT - It's been so long since I watched the original made for TV version. And the last time it was on I got bored about two and half hours in while they were still introducing characters.

I think this is a better version and a better way to do the story. I also liked how the moved the events into the 80s but nothing else was really lost.

The children actors do a great job, as does the new Pennywise, and it's various iterations. I know this is a mainstay of these coming of age stories but the absence of adults in this movie is really obvious and at times bewildering. When they do show up its like a reverse Deux ex Machina.

I'm looking forward to Part II, but I'm bummed that we won't be seeing more of the kids.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:07 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default The Devil's Backbone

The Devil's Backbone - The Spanish Civil War is raging. A small boy is brought to an isolated orphanage in rural Spain. The orphanage also happens to be a waystation for Republicans/Anarchists side of the conflict. They have gold hidden there.

The new boy - Carlos, is left at the orphanage. The only other people there are the headmistress, a doctor (they run the place), a young man who used to be an orphan there and is now the groundkeeper - Jacinto, Conchita who teaches at the place and is Jacinto's girlfriend, and a maid. A few brutes help out around the place during the day.

Carlos is bullied by the other boys. This gets him in trouble. It is revealed that Jacinto is not very nice. Not only is he rude and brutish but he has his eyes on that gold. He just can't get to it.

The Doctor is in love with the headmistress. The headmistress is sleeping with Jacinto. Jacinto is engaged to Conchita. It's all very complicated and gothic. Oh, this movie has the gothic horror in spades!

Carlos meets a ghost. It is slowly revealed that the ghost is another boy who used to live in the orphanage but was killed by Jacinto. Why? The boy accidentally discovered that Jacinto was trying to steal the gold. Jacinto couldn't have that being leaked out. The ghost reveals to Carlos that it wants to kill Jacinto.

Things come to a head when on a visit to the closest town (an hour away) the Doctor notices one of the Republicans who has visited the orphanage being put up against the wall and shot. He hurries back to the orphanage and tells everyone that it is time to leave. In the midst of packing Jacinto tries to get the gold but is beat up and kicked out of the orphanage. Conchita does not go with him.

Oh and he spills all the beans on the sexy quadrangle that was going on. But, people are a little too busy packing to gasp and gossip about it much.

Jacinto sneaks back in, steals all the gasoline and dumps it all over the safe. He really wants that gold. He lights it and runs. In the ensuing explosion the headmistress, the maid, and several boys are killed. The doctor is wrecked, bleeding, and deaf but still functional. He sends Conchita to walk to town and then climbs up to the roof with the gun to watch out for Jacinto's return.

Conchita runs into Jacinto and those brutes on the road to town. Jacinto kills her because he is a monster and she wouldn't say sorry to him that he blew up everything and is a sociopath.

The doctor dies waiting. Jacinto and the brutes show up and lock up the boys and then begin breaking into the safe.

But, the safe is empty?! What?! But all the gold! The boys decide that they have to escape and fight because Jacinto is just going to kill them all anyway. The doctor's ghost lets them free. The hide and sharpen sticks to fight with.

Jacinto won't stop looking for the gold. The brutes bail on him and take the car with them. And then he finds the Gold! That's good. But he has to walk it all out. That's bad. But it's all his! That's good. The boys show up! He chases them. He's totally going to kill them. That's good. Jacinto gets ambushed. That's bad. There is lots of stabbing of Jacinto. That's bad too.

He stumbles into a cistern and begins sinking. Gold is heavy. He struggles to get the gold off of him but then! The ghost grabs him.

That's karma? The end.

I give this movie one pile out of one pile of Franco's stolen gold.

Matchstick is right this is a good pairing with the Orphanage. It could have played the Gothic Horror closer to the chest and it still would have been great, maybe even better. The ghosts are necessary but the showing of them so early and often steals away from the tension I feel. This ranks pretty high up on my Del Toro list now.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Train to Busan

Train to Busan - I'd never heard of this one before. I didn't even realize it was a Korean film until I started watching it. So, I didn't have any expectations or know what it was about.

That lasted about five seconds into the film when there is some sort of quarantine checkpoint. Yup, another zombie movie.

Wait! Come back! This is a pretty good one! I promise!

This time the zombie's are deer!

Come back, I'm kidding, I'm kidding! There's only one zombie deer! And it doesn't even kill anyone. Sadly, because that would be a hilarious scene.

Anyway, Seok-woo is whatever they call Wall St Guys in South Korea -50 points. Which, turns out is a thing just as awful and hated over there as it is here! He is divorced and has a daughter, Soo-an, who he never sees. Because, like I said, he is a Wall St. Guy and they're the worst.It is Soo-an's bday and her dad gets her a brand new Wii!! +10 points Score! Except she already has one. -10 points for bad dadding Seok-woo. What she really wants to do is see her mom in Busan. In an attempt to be the good dad he blows off work in the morning and heads to the train station with Soo-an. He's even going to go with her instead of just dropping her off! +10 points.

The train station is a model of efficiency and timeliness as is the train and its staff. But things get a little hinky around departure time. There's some screaming heard in the background and a few stowaways. But other than that the train sets off and everything is fine. Busan bound!

Oh, no! One of the stowaways is a bum and maybe smells bad. But, the other is a zombie! Of course, no one knows what that is and they get all chewed up. And chewed up quick! On the train. This is not the ideal place to have to deal with zombies. -50 points to Seok-woo for bringing his girl on a zombie train!

More bad news folks. These are fast zombies!

Wait, come back! This is a good movie! Please!

These zombies move fast and they infect fast. They probably would drive fast too if they could manage that. But they can't. Not so big on the thinking fast, zombies...

People are fleeing and trying to close doors as they get chewed up. They realize that the Zeds calm down if they can't see a human so the humans cover up the glass doors. And relax. Hoping that at the next stop they will be okay. But the news comes that they aren't stopping at the next stop. Instead, we just get to see people getting eating up good at that stop. Seems the government is having trouble containing this little outbreak.

I'm sure the next stop will be better. For sure. Oh, also, Seok-woo's mom calls him and says I love you take care of Soo-an! Then there's panting and screaming and, do I really have to paint a picture here? -10 points for getting your mom killed Seok!

At the next stop, the train stops because they've been told that the military will escort them out of the station and everything will be just fine!

Except no one is at the station. Instead of just staying on the train and moving down the line. Everyone gets out and starts walking out of the station. They run into the Army right outside the station. Whoo! Crisis averted.

Nope, the Army is zombies! Everyone tries to run back to the train. Many of them don't make it. And they're all separated. Seok is split from Soo. He's with a soon-to-be-father and a high school baseball player. The Soon Dad's pregnant wife is with Soo and the baseball player's girlfriend is at the very front of the train with many of the other survivors.

Seok, Soon Dad, and BBall decide to fight for everlasting peace to save their loved ones and everyone else. They bandage/tape up their arms and begin to kick ass and take names. +40 points for good beatdown skills.

Fun fact: Most zombies names are "Mhrr," "Grrrhp," "Zaarkk" or some mix thereof.

These heroes save the people and everyone lives! Nope close though! The people at the front of the train have decided that they will never, ever, ever, let anyone in. Even if they are human.

Always remember that the theme or secondary theme of every horror film is: Man is the REAL Monster.

Soon Dad sacrifices himself to give the others enough time to break down the barrier and get into the room with all the other survivors. -20 points for not being able to save Soon Dad. Where they are now told to get into the next car of the train because they can't be trusted.

The survivors who do this are immediately punished for their sin of inhospitality by being chewed up by zombies. BBall star's gf gets chewed and then she chews on him. It's just Seok, Soo, and the Pregnant Widow.

The train has to stop because the tracks are blocked by wrecks. Train conductor is chewed up trying to save the sole surviving jerk who was mean to Seok and company. Seok, Soo, and Widow make it to the engine that train conductor had started and jerk survivor got to.

Turns out jerk survivor was bit! Seok fights with him and pushes him off the train. +20 points. He got bit. -10 points. Before he dies he tells Soo to stick with Widow and be safe. He loves her very much. Then he jumps off the train as he turns. - 20 points for being a deadbeat dad. -40 for also working for the company who caused this whole mess. Wall St!

Widow and Soo make it to Busan, which isn't overrun by zombies. I assume they live happily ever after in a post-apocalyptic zombie madness nightmare world.

I give this movie 130 points, thanks for nothing Seok-woo!

(I actually really enjoyed this movie. The action sequences are good, the dynamics at play between stick together/lone wolf are played with and explored. The frenetic pace. They even had good fast zombies!)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:02 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default What We Do in the Shadows

What We Do in the Shadows - A New Zealand Mockumentary about four (and then five, and then four again) vampires just trying to get by in the modern world.

They deal with the difficulties of dealing with roommates (those chore wheels are point of contention), difficulties getting into nightclubs, problems with food.

They also struggle with brand new vampires, a vampire hunter, ex-girlfriends, and werewolves.

Stu, the human, makes the whole movie worthwhile though.

I give this movie four out of five, maybe four Vampires.

This is a fun little movie that made for a nice break from all the horror. I appreciate "horror" too. Especially when its as cute as this movie was.

Last edited by Falselogic; 10-24-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:43 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I saw it in theaters and lost my shit at the gag where they all started coming out of his backpack. Just so out of left field.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:49 AM
whatever it takes

I liked Train to Busan a lot too, but felt it was about half an hour too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I'm looking forward to Part II, but I'm bummed that we won't be seeing more of the kids.
I read somewhere that a few scenes that were either written or shot for Part I but got cut will be included in Part II. Obviously those plans could change, but I think we'll at least get a little more of them in the next one.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:44 PM
Nonplussed

What We Do in the Shadows

I missed posting about this one in my fervor to post about Train to Busan. I thought it was fun, but it didn't hit me as hard as something like Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. The mudanity of everyday life juxtaposed with the life of a vampire was a fun concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I saw it in theaters and lost my shit at the gag where they all started coming out of his backpack. Just so out of left field.
That was probably one of my favorite bits.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Nonplussed

Don't Look Now

Another of the movies I put on the list, because it's always listed as a classic, and I'd never gotten around to watching it. It's another early 70s movie and another with Donald Sutherland. It contains an infamous sex scene that was long purported to be not simulated, although recently that story has been roundly denied. There's some great scenes between Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie, and there's an interesting dynamic between the two of them as Sutherland is accepting of their child's death and rejects supernatural ideas, while Julie Christie has still not moved on (understandably so) and is reaching out for anything to give her some solace and hope. The direction is very impressionistic. Overall, I thought it was pretty good, but it wasn't a home run for me like I expected based on the praise.

I've got various things going on this week (including going to see Happy Death Day tomorrow), so I'm already behind and it will be a couple of days before I catch up.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Family Man

All I know about Don't Look Now is from the show "100 Scariest Movie Moments", where they discuss the ending. That one clip where the person in the coat turns around and it's some kind of old lady with a knife and she casually walks to Donald Sutherland and hacks him in the neck bothered me on some deep, primal level, like the hospital scene from Exorcist 3. Is there any context for that in the movie?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Hey, just saw Train to Busan just now. How do I put it... I think it is a little overrated. But not because it is bad. It's just not... new. In any way. They even use the "zombie flow" from *shudder* World War Z. But despite completely lacking in any new ideas (aside from "what if zombies... were on a train!") it is really good, in a poppy sort of way (um, as in easily digestible pop culture, not the flower). It's not challenging, but it is a film you can just plop yourself down in front of and watch any time. And it's not even very gory. But it does have a lot of blood. So maybe fine for mom, not as much for grandmom.

If zombie movies are rock bands and Night of the Living Dead is the Beatles and Dawn of the Dead is either David Bowie or Warren Zevon, then Train to Busan is Pharrell. I mean, it's far from brilliant, but I never mind listening to "Happy". It's toe tapping fun!
Old 10-25-2017, 10:15 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Is there any context for that in the movie?
Yep, at a certain level, it's what the movie is about.

Tags
flawgic = 5 , flawgic is awful , flawgic is wrong , flawgicwatchedthis.jpg , haints and gerblins , spoop your pants off , unreadable on tapatalk