The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

I'm so much more inclined to devote undivided attention to games through playing them on the NES Classic as opposed to any other form of emulation available, whether they're the native game selection or modded additions. In that light, I guess I was in a sort of "NES 101" mood because I played through The Legend of Zelda, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link and Metroid over the last few days. With Zelda, it was my second time playing it through, and I had a ball contending with LIZARD and DRAGON's Darknut and Wizzrobe hells, respectively. With Zelda II, I'd never played it before, and it was very fascinating to experience first-hand all the convergent evolution it possesses in relation to stuff like Dragon Quest II, and how it embodies a similar inscrutable, wayfaring spirit and a narrative approach intertwined with adversity. Its echoes reverberate so clearly forward into works like Simon's Quest, as well as extensions of its own series in ways that its ostensible "black sheep" reputation doesn't really reflect. As for Metroid, it remains a dear favourite and I used it as a sort of cleanser post-Zelda II: a casual 100% run in about two hours, doing the odd sequence break like grabbing the Varia Suit directly after bombs and heading straight for Ridley. It's cool to find a play context that just works for oneself, whether revisiting the familiar or making new discoveries altogether, and that's one of the things that makes these mini consoles worthwhile even when their nominal scope is so well-trodden and limited.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

As someone who enjoys both Infinity Engine games and the Planescape campaign setting, Planescape: Torment has always been this kind of inexplicable hole in my personal experience, and I'm finally getting around to fixing that with the Enhanced Edition on Steam and I am of course loving the heck out of it. What a good video game. And it even feels less buggy than most games of this type! I really love how often I'm able to talk my way around combat (which is good, because the combat is the less interesting half of the experience). In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd started a live-blog thread like I did for Undertale, but I didn't realize quite how much fun stuff I'd find. That said, random ~live reactions that I've posted in other random chatrooms and IM clients, for anyone interested:

• After watching that intro movie, if I'm not some kind of Darth Revan then I'll eat my hat.
  • I love that my first party member is trollface.jpg
  • I seem to have slots for equippable tattoos. I'm pretty sure that's how tattoos work.
  • "Updated my journal." I get a joke now!
  • Man, a game about a guy who can't remember anything. Too real.
  • I just folded a note and an earring popped out.
  • The skeleman can carry twice as much as I can. "Oh sure, I'll just, uh, swing it with my arms" when I tried to give him a hammer. This game might be good.
  • I asked a rat bureaucrat (the guy in charge of killing rats, that is) to talk about rats and then the game gave me an 8 hour rest, which I thought was very funny but very annoying.
  • The Benny Hill way that literally every combat ends is a weird choice. As soon as someone gets near death, they start running, and my dudes chase them in circle around the map trying to get a hit in.
  • Oh, I have a third guy now. I was really surprised that he just suddenly offered to join my party. It was a really specific conversation tree, so it would have been easy to miss.
  • I met a being of pure energy who I asked to show me the secrets of the universe, and then he turned to mist and I got a permanent +1 Wisdom.
  • I've had several weird self-mutilation interactions. This one dumb kid was like "I want to die" and I'm like "dying sucks. See?" *snaps own neck*
  • Or there was the guy who gave me back my eye for paying off my bar tab, at which point I yanked out my current eye and replaced it.
  • This is a game where my eyeball is an equipped item on my inventory screen.
  • I also found a ring on a severed finger that I couldn't remove, so my solution instead was to bite off one of my own fingers and put on this one in its place. So new cursed ring!
  • I do wish the game would do a better job of conveying when/if people will get upset if you go rooting through drawers. 90% of folks are entirely chill with you looting everything. Anyway, the Nameless One killed some innocent woman in her kyp by mistake and feels really bad about it, honestly. (I'm going to stop looting random drawers, I think, so lesson learned!)
  • I helped a nervous lady who'd been terrified of using doors for 30 years get home, and in return she gave me her chattering teeth, which I shoved in my skeleton buddy's mouth. I can change the attack type of the teeth from crushing to piercing by asking them nicely.
  • Coolest death so far has definitely been when I opened the obviously evil and dangerous box that I had been instructed to never open under any circumstance.
  • *looking at picture of "Upper Class Townie, Female" in the codex* Help! How do I pants?!
  • Is there a consequence to resting too much? The big ponderous gear CG that plays every time I do makes me feel like I'm fucking up.
  • I'm in some kind of Tomb where the gimmick is I need to die over and over to progress, and that's really clever design, since I'd been resisting dying so far and it's good that the game is kind of making me embrace it. I'll probably be less hesitant to die going forward.
  • "To your surprise, there's one more line - one that Morte didn't read to you: 'Don't trust the skull.'" Oh shiiiiit.
  • I just pushed 8 panels and each one had a distinct flowery description of the way in which it slid into the wall. A+, would read again.
  • Annah: "I think this alley is pregnant." Me: That's, uh, that's quite a logical leap there, Annah.
  • "You have tested your immortality against the wrong creature and have been destroyed." Does... does this mean I win? Secret ending get!
  • I found a sentient tower operated by a building-sized man made of metal who endlessly creates weapons in the service of entropy. Planescape is a trip. He is, literally and figuratively, metal as hell.
  • *looking at picture of "Modrons" in codex* TIL: Modrons are the talking TV from Reboot.
  • I played with a little modron like it was an action figure and made Morte mad and it was v. good.
  • A lady paid me 2000 copper to let her have the experience of killing me.
  • Also, I killed myself to win a debate in a lecture hall. (Planescape: Torment is good.)
Old 04-11-2019, 04:18 PM
has to go somewhere

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
As someone who enjoys both Infinity Engine games and the Planescape campaign setting, Planescape: Torment has always been this kind of inexplicable hole in my personal experience, and I'm finally getting around to fixing that with the Enhanced Edition on Steam and I am of course loving the heck out of it. What a good video game. And it even feels less buggy than most games of this type! I really love how often I'm able to talk my way around combat (which is good, because the combat is the less interesting half of the experience). In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd started a live-blog thread like I did for Undertale, but I didn't realize quite how much fun stuff I'd find. That said, random ~live reactions that I've posted in other random chatrooms and IM clients, for anyone interested:

• After watching that intro movie, if I'm not some kind of Darth Revan then I'll eat my hat.
  • I love that my first party member is trollface.jpg
  • I seem to have slots for equippable tattoos. I'm pretty sure that's how tattoos work.
  • "Updated my journal." I get a joke now!
  • Man, a game about a guy who can't remember anything. Too real.
  • I just folded a note and an earring popped out.
  • The skeleman can carry twice as much as I can. "Oh sure, I'll just, uh, swing it with my arms" when I tried to give him a hammer. This game might be good.
  • I asked a rat bureaucrat (the guy in charge of killing rats, that is) to talk about rats and then the game gave me an 8 hour rest, which I thought was very funny but very annoying.
  • The Benny Hill way that literally every combat ends is a weird choice. As soon as someone gets near death, they start running, and my dudes chase them in circle around the map trying to get a hit in.
  • Oh, I have a third guy now. I was really surprised that he just suddenly offered to join my party. It was a really specific conversation tree, so it would have been easy to miss.
  • I met a being of pure energy who I asked to show me the secrets of the universe, and then he turned to mist and I got a permanent +1 Wisdom.
  • I've had several weird self-mutilation interactions. This one dumb kid was like "I want to die" and I'm like "dying sucks. See?" *snaps own neck*
  • Or there was the guy who gave me back my eye for paying off my bar tab, at which point I yanked out my current eye and replaced it.
  • This is a game where my eyeball is an equipped item on my inventory screen.
  • I also found a ring on a severed finger that I couldn't remove, so my solution instead was to bite off one of my own fingers and put on this one in its place. So new cursed ring!
  • I do wish the game would do a better job of conveying when/if people will get upset if you go rooting through drawers. 90% of folks are entirely chill with you looting everything. Anyway, the Nameless One killed some innocent woman in her kyp by mistake and feels really bad about it, honestly. (I'm going to stop looting random drawers, I think, so lesson learned!)
  • I helped a nervous lady who'd been terrified of using doors for 30 years get home, and in return she gave me her chattering teeth, which I shoved in my skeleton buddy's mouth. I can change the attack type of the teeth from crushing to piercing by asking them nicely.
  • Coolest death so far has definitely been when I opened the obviously evil and dangerous box that I had been instructed to never open under any circumstance.
  • *looking at picture of "Upper Class Townie, Female" in the codex* Help! How do I pants?!
  • Is there a consequence to resting too much? The big ponderous gear CG that plays every time I do makes me feel like I'm fucking up.
  • I'm in some kind of Tomb where the gimmick is I need to die over and over to progress, and that's really clever design, since I'd been resisting dying so far and it's good that the game is kind of making me embrace it. I'll probably be less hesitant to die going forward.
  • "To your surprise, there's one more line - one that Morte didn't read to you: 'Don't trust the skull.'" Oh shiiiiit.
  • I just pushed 8 panels and each one had a distinct flowery description of the way in which it slid into the wall. A+, would read again.
  • Annah: "I think this alley is pregnant." Me: That's, uh, that's quite a logical leap there, Annah.
  • "You have tested your immortality against the wrong creature and have been destroyed." Does... does this mean I win? Secret ending get!
  • I found a sentient tower operated by a building-sized man made of metal who endlessly creates weapons in the service of entropy. Planescape is a trip. He is, literally and figuratively, metal as hell.
  • *looking at picture of "Modrons" in codex* TIL: Modrons are the talking TV from Reboot.
  • I played with a little modron like it was an action figure and made Morte mad and it was v. good.
  • A lady paid me 2000 copper to let her have the experience of killing me.
  • Also, I killed myself to win a debate in a lecture hall. (Planescape: Torment is good.)
Woo and also hoo for Planescape! That's one of my very favorite games of all time. Have you been talking with Dak'kon? You should make sure to talk with Dak'kon.

Also, have you played the recent Torment: Tides of Numenera? It doesn't quite reach the transcendent heights of Planescape, but the Numenera universe is really interesting, and it avoids some of the '90s-edgy excesses of the original game.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:33 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I second trying out Torment: Tides of Numenera. It might not be the spiritual successor that everybody wanted, but it is still a delightful experience.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Don't trust the skull!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposition Owl View Post
Woo and also hoo for Planescape! That's one of my very favorite games of all time. Have you been talking with Dak'kon? You should make sure to talk with Dak'kon.
Dak'kon and I are tight, yo. I don't think I'm done with him yet, but I'm as progressed as I seem to be able for now. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to work his doohickey later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposition Owl View Post
Also, have you played the recent Torment: Tides of Numenera?
It's in my Steam library, along with Pillars 2, Tyranny, and other stuff I intend to get around to "eventually".
Old 04-11-2019, 08:09 PM
hang high, soft star

Jbear, do me a favor real quick. Get a save editor and jack up the Nameless One's Int Wis and Cha to 18 like literally right now before you play again. You will fucking thank me later, I promise. This isn't going to ruin the game or break it, it's going to give you more of what you want, which is what Torment gives you in spades.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:49 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephine View Post
Jbear, do me a favor real quick. Get a save editor and jack up the Nameless One's Int Wis and Cha to 18 like literally right now before you play again. You will fucking thank me later, I promise. This isn't going to ruin the game or break it, it's going to give you more of what you want, which is what Torment gives you in spades.
Double-posting from Discord, but whatevs:

A. It'll be a cold day in hell when I use a save editor.
B. My dude already has over 18 Int, Wis, and Cha naturally, I think. I pumped all the interesting stats at the expense of using the boring ones as dump stats.

That said, I think I'm just about done with Sigil (the game warned me when I made to enter the pocket portal, so I'm cleaning up loose ends ATM), so I'm already pretty deep in (35 hours logged so far on Steam), and I didn't have those stats to start, which means I may have missed some stuff, and that's okay.

Last edited by JBear; 04-12-2019 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He
Default Cross posting because I like the game Iím playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Picked up Way of the Passive Fist on the Switch (itís also on everything else) and itís a pretty neat reinterpretation of the side-scrolling man-puncher. Namely in that you do not punch any mans in it. Well, the super attacks are punches, but youíve got to earn those.

Instead of any sort of attacks or grapples like youíd expect to see in a beatemup, your only attacks are a block, dodge and a gentle shove; as you avoid enemies attacks they get more and more exhausted and when theyíre completely winded, you push them down. It feels a lot like the combat in the Assassins Creed or Arkham Games, just designer around a 2D plane.

Combat doesnít take long to get frantic either, as while enemies are polite enough to only attack one at a time and the window for blocking and dodging is pretty generous, they tend to mix up their fighting styles a lot and counters only work on certain attacks.

Only played a few levels, but Iím Pretty impressed so far.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:01 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild is pretty dang incredible! I honestly didn't expect to be this into it, but I am! I can't even really put into words about what makes it so good.

also i'm playing as Linkle thanks to mods, and that's just really the best

Tags
ashamed of yr words&deeds , everything is awesome , fear of new threads , good games , just make a new thread , making threads is better , repulsive positivity