The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 PM
What's Shenmue?

Pronouns: He/Him
Default Press mute: your own game soundtracks

Video game music is great! But sometimes, for one reason or another, I end up turning down the sound and putting on my own music to listen to instead; and sometimes, these inadvertent soundtracks bring something fresh, exciting and memorable to the table.

For instance: I've been playing a lot of Yoshi's Crafted World lately, which is excellent save for a very repetitive soundtrack; so, after a while I decided to listen to something else. I had some nice pairings with Vashti Bunyan, Panda Bear and of Montreal.

The Xbox 360 had this function at a system level— meaning that sound effects and such remained— which was very cool, and I'm disappointed it didn't become a standard. I had good times using this for all sorts of games, though the one I remember most clearly is playing Crackdown to the JSRF soundtrack.

And although Etrian Odyssey IV has a superb soundtrack, whenever I found myself doubling-back over a stratum to grind, fulfill quests or just complete the map, I put something else on to make it a bit more relaxing. Since my playthrough coincided with when I discovered World's End Girlfriend, that was mostly what I listened to. As a result, the two are nearly inseparable in my mind— listening to WEG now brings up memories of EO4.

What neat, interesting or otherwise memorable combinations have you had?
Old 04-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Wipeout HD+Fury had the option to use your PS3's music library and I loaded it the fuck up with EDM. I probably played a hundred hours of that game and all of it was
Old 04-14-2019, 06:47 PM
Tell me about your mother

Someone on this forum introduced me to Coffin Daggers, and it seemed like a good fit while I was messing around with the PS4 remaster of Destroy All Humans!.

It's not a new idea to put 80s synthwave over your game trailer, but I will never stop loving it. I put John Carpenter soundtracks and Dance with the Dead over FromSoftware games, like Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.

Otherwise, I listen to extremely corny dark atmospheric music while I'm playing horror-themed games that are not technically horror.

Last edited by Doctor Nerd; 04-14-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:00 PM
Sega CD version is better

Part of the reason I never got far in Endless Ocean 2 is they took out the mp3 support. How do expect me to play this game without jamming to Ocean Man by Ween?
Old 04-14-2019, 07:57 PM
xanadu next shill

Pronouns: he/him

Back when Tekken 7 was on Steam free weekend, I spent quite a lot of time listening to the Ridge Racer Type 4 and Third Strike soundtracks while playing with friends.

Real shame that Tekken Tunes didn't come to the PC version.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:42 PM
Little Waves

I made an extensive '80s playlist just for all the classics that weren't already included in Metal Gear Solid V.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:05 PM
Trinitron Enthusiast

The original Xbox was the first time I ever encountered games with the ability to play custom soundtracks (on account of the Xbox's new-at-the-time feature of possessing an internal hard drive). I bought Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas specifically on the Xbox so that I would be able to drive around listening to my own music.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:08 PM
23 ski-dook

Dark Souls, but with this:

Old 04-15-2019, 12:38 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

The first time I played through Blighttown I listened to The Flaming Lips' The Terror for the first time. Not recommended if you enjoy your sanity.

I listened to a TON of Perturbator when I played Warframe. It basically was the soundtrack to that game for me and I played an insane amount of that game.

I've definitely played a lot of Souls games with Castlevania music too because DUH

Most importantly, my friends and I once did a knife/CQC-only naked/skull face paint-only run of MGS3, and this was the theme of the part where you run up the mountain and the helicopter shoots at you. It was G R E A T

Old 04-15-2019, 06:27 AM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Nerd View Post
Someone on this forum introduced me to Coffin Daggers
This may have been me.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 AM
Boom

I don't usually like listening to different music in games because it loses the context sensitivity that the in-game OST has. That, and I don't like having to halt the game to substitute my own "context sensitivity" when things change. Here are some things I have done, though:
  • In the Napishtim-era PC Ys games, it's pretty easy to mod the OST. The music is in the ogg format and the looping is handled entirely with comments on the files themsleves. When I played through The Oath in Felghana on Inferno, I replaced a lot of the music with different arrangements, and swapped the boss themes out so each boss had its own theme. My favorite part was using an arranged version of the unused Descendant of Genos track for the second Chester fight.
  • I replaced the Tank Theme in the original Left 4 Dead with Yakety Sax. Perfect for kiting tanks around.
  • For Honor has a pretty mediocre soundtrack. The menu themes tend to be dull and repetitive, and I don't remember if there's any music in the actual battles at all. I set up a huge playlist for this, set my player to repeat one track infinitely, and then selected stage appropriate tracks. Chivalry and Savagery is great for the Knight areas, for example. And tracks like The Cursed Image for Samurai areas. In general, I had a lot of stuff pulled from Tactics Ogre, Odin Sphere, Soul Calibur 2/3, and the Witcher OSTs. I went as far as including tracks just for the character selection and "VS" screens.
  • I did something similar for a pretty cool HL2 mod called Eternal Silence, except with space opera-y tracks.
  • Like Kishi, I imported a large 80s playlist into MGSV.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:37 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

I just recently tried doing this with Souls, but modern games (even ones without a score) just have too much important gameplay conveyed through the sound design, so I kept getting tripped up. So instead I've found that Kate Bush, Thomas Dolby and Elvis Costello make perfectly fine substitutes for the Super Mario World soundtrack.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 AM
till the sheriff stops by

I just listen to classic Dragonball ost for FighterZ. Works much better than the servicable yet generic music for the game.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 AM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

"Your video game soundtracks" oh finally a chance for me to plug Will Fight For Foo-- oh, huh, no, that's not what you meant.

Oh well, I still have content.

I also got through Eggmanland in Sonic Unleashed solely through the power of Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome. That is an amazing album and actually fits the pace and the length of the stage pretty well for a casual playthrough. I think it took me about 45 minutes to get through it the first time (I was also going for all the collectible items too), which is how long it is. I recall track changes being fairly well-synchronized to the different areas as well, and the tunes are all built from similar ideas to the original track's music -- but they're expanded out to fit a full album and not like 2 5-minute tunes.

And then there was the one that got a Kotaku article

I also got the Star Trek TNG soundtrack to listen to back when I was still playing Star Trek Online. Good times.

Last edited by muteKi; 04-15-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Quake [...] This was the first game I ever, uh, "acquired" by way of someone's very generous FTP server, so I had no game disc and consequently have never heard Quake's actual soundtrack by Nine Inch Nails. Since Quake will just play any CD in the drive in lieu of the actual game disc, I usually stuck a copy of Van Halen's self-titled debut album in there instead, which seemed to match up well enough with what was happening in the game.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:32 PM

I remember hating the NBA 2K5 soundtrack, so I put the Black Mages album on my system and used that instead.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:40 PM

i remember i used to blast Dragonforce during MMO raids
Old 04-15-2019, 04:58 PM
hidden in snow

Ghosts I-IV by Nine Inch Nails works impressively well as a game soundtrack for more atmospheric games. The Xbox 360 port of Marathon 2 was already mostly ambient tracks and alien chittering, so some ominous piano and weird synth concoctions matched up nicely. I specifically remember playing the final level, All Roads Lead to Sol, and Ghosts 31 came up. The relentless guitars fit the slow violence of taking down juggernauts exactly, and I kept it on repeat until I beat the game. The 360 was the last console that I really made my own soundtracks, mostly with Burnout Paradise. Newer systems just don’t seem to emphasize augmenting games in that way.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:48 PM
Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I made an extensive '80s playlist just for all the classics that weren't already included in Metal Gear Solid V.
Cough it up, Kish.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:12 PM
?!

I don't know that I've ever muted a game's music to play my own, but I definitely threw some Tony Hawk's Pro Skater soundtracks into the Grand Theft Auto custom radio stations.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Anyone got some recommendations for Darkwood music? I've gotten bored with the games music and I need something that's still a bit lively but also scary-ish. I've been using John Carpenter music but I feel I want something different.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:24 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Anyone got some recommendations for Darkwood music? I've gotten bored with the games music and I need something that's still a bit lively but also scary-ish. I've been using John Carpenter music but I feel I want something different.
I've got this baby on my bedside table next to my cassette player:

Play your cards right and maybe I'll let you borrow it.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:02 AM

And Dracula gets a new avatar.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:47 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

FFXI, Franz Ferdinand. I think they just came out around the same time, but whenever I hear Franz Ferdinand I immediately think of FFXI.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:04 PM

I normally don't like, plan for matches and just take them as they come, then let them dissipate into memory. Actually the only time I wrote down a specific connection was when i was reading a chapter of Last Last Chance and happened upon a piece from alva noto that really tonally hit every mark.

I do have a lot of memories specifically tying games to tracks though. Dream Theater's Metropolis pt 2: Scenes From a Memory (an album i don't care too much for these days) is always tied together with Call of Duty 2 single player and there are some reasons for the atmospheres to match up. Abigor is directly tied to some areas of Final Fantasy XIV for a similar reason.

I did carefully manufacture radio stations for GTA:SA once way back when. Basically just taking the same concept of the radio stations in game but just having a much better selection lol.

I think a lot of what i listen to is just generally too active for games to mesh with them in a coherent way, so I just passively listen as I play and sometimes they fit anyway. It's fun that way. I did listen to specifically Tim Hecker and Takagi Masakatsu when I played the Witness so there's that.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 PM
What's Shenmue?

I must admit I'm a little perplexed by the "game music" tag.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:43 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Playing a video game while listening to music from another video game.

Tags
game music