The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-13-2019, 01:02 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His
Default Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Game's officially been revealed now. USG's article here.

My initial thoughts, copy/pasted from USgamer:

Quote:
While I am pretty disappointed that our protagonist is yet another white male in an industry full of AAA games starring white males (this is especially disappointing in a series with all kinds of cool weird aliens), I will say I like Kestis's design far more than the Apprentice from The Force Unleashed games. Dude has kind of a Marty McFly-ish look going on.
Also it sure would've been nice if they had shown actual game footage.

Anyway, this comes out on November 15, just in time for Episode IX to ensure it sells a bajillion more PS4 bundles like the previous two E.A. releases.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

So the pitch is interesting and all, but are there any actual gameplay details? Like, what kind of game is this? Is this supposed to be something like The Force Unleashed, or Jedi Outcast? Sort of hard to get excited for just a story trailer.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:53 PM
Ugh

I'll probably pick it up at some point but I don't think Jedi are interesting to play as. Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy is about as close to a good "Jedi" game there is and I'm not too hot on it either.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:38 AM
xanadu next shill

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
So the pitch is interesting and all, but are there any actual gameplay details? Like, what kind of game is this? Is this supposed to be something like The Force Unleashed, or Jedi Outcast? Sort of hard to get excited for just a story trailer.
I feel the same way. I was really looking forward to seeing some gameplay, or at least getting some decent details from the reveal.

I guess we'll have to wait until E3 for that though.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:00 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Oh yeah, definitely. My first thoughts were "Boy I am so disappointed this cool space game stars a Boring White Guy* and showed only like one alien in the trailer", but that was quickly followed by "Boy it sure would've been nice to see something of the game that's not a cutscene!"

I've heard it features melee combat, but that really doesn't say much other than "Yes there will be lightsaber duels."

* I sincerely back the Roo-Roo Page DLC tag I made. No I'm not actually going to riot. A female Force-sensitive Gungan growing up and trying to survive and find her place in a post-Order 66 world would make for a far more compelling experience than whatever we're gonna get with this generic white human male.

Of course, it'll never happen. And even if it did, I know the louder and madder portion of the Star Wars fanbase would throw a temper tantrum like the petulant entitled li'l shits they are, and I wouldn't wish the kind of harassment those angry fanatics dish out on even my worst enemies.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:11 PM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

I wish they'd shown more actual gameplay, yes, but it did enough to pique my interest.

Cameron Monaghan is the actor the main character is being modeled from.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Are You Sure About That?

This game is supposed to be out in eight months right? And they don't have (or don't want to show) in-game footage ready?
Old 04-14-2019, 09:33 PM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
This game is supposed to be out in eight months right? And they don't have (or don't want to show) in-game footage ready?
It's an interesting choice but I wouldn't read too much into it. They saved the reveal for Celebration with all of the other news; I'd expect gameplay at E3 or PAX West, although the latter seems a little late to debut gameplay.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Now that the Cathar's out of the bag and we know what the game looks like, I'm sure we'll be seeing more footage and info in the coming months. It's still over half a year away, after all.

Think EA is skipping E3, though.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:24 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Why do I have the feeling that this is going to sell below EA's (probably highly inflated) expectations? And from there, why do I fear that they'll use it as "proof" that story-driven single-player games don't sell, so that they can go back to making lootbox-infested live services until the heat death of the universe?
Old 04-15-2019, 07:00 AM
Born in the USA

The whole trailer looks in-engine to me.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 AM
Are You Sure About That?

They put a disclaimer that it wasn't in-game footage on it at the end, so that doesn't mean much?
Old 04-15-2019, 07:13 AM
Born in the USA

I mean I feel like I have an idea of what the game is from this
Old 04-15-2019, 07:36 AM
Are You Sure About That?

After the Anthem debacle I don't trust a single goddamn thing EA puts out for PR.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Why do I have the feeling that this is going to sell below EA's (probably highly inflated) expectations? And from there, why do I fear that they'll use it as "proof" that story-driven single-player games don't sell, so that they can go back to making lootbox-infested live services until the heat death of the universe?
After games like RDR2, God of War, Breath of the Wild, etc, they would have a real hard time coming up with anything anyone reasonable would consider proof.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
On the contrary I'm betting that this will sell through the roof, if only 'cuz it'll most likely be part of a PS4 bundle released just in time for both the latest Star Wars episode and the lucrative holiday season, just like the Battlefront games before it.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I have no doubt that sales will be somewhere between brisk and fantastic by any rational standard. But this is AAA publishing, and in particular, this is EA. They and several other publishers (thinking of Ubisoft and Activision mainly) have been saying for years now that people don't want single-player experiences. This is all gaslighting, of course. As mentioned above, Red Dead Redemption, God of War 2018, and Breath of the Wild all stand in stark relief as examples of single-player games that were major success stories. And yet, these publishers keep insisting that single-player is dying, that people don't want it any more, and we all know the reason is that they don't want it any more, because what they want is "games as service". They want a game that exists mainly as a platform, a way to get its hooks in you and coax more and more money out of you. And the easiest way to do that is simply to try to convince everyone that the old way is undesirable, preferably by shouting that it's so, evidence be damned. It worked for Dear Leader, after all. Why not EA?

So what I'm saying is that even though Fallen Order will probably sell ridiculously well, I worry that EA will gin up some outrageous figure as the threshold for success, which this game will still ultimately fall short of. And based on that, they'll decide that single-player, story-driven games are not successful, and go on making live services, world without end. They've been claiming this kind of game is dying despite the recent and memorable successes of games in this vein. They have an agenda to push. I'm sure they're content to arrange the facts as they see fit to push it.

There is a non-zero chance that this is just me being paranoid.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:38 AM
Born in the USA

There is no reason for them to publish a single player only game if they don't believe in it. We already know they canceled multiple single player Star Wars projects. Nobody's going to stop them if they only wanted multiplayer/live service games in their profile.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 AM
I hunt Mondays.

On the single player success front, don't forget about Marvel's Spider-Man!
Old 04-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
There is no reason for them to publish a single player only game if they don't believe in it. We already know they canceled multiple single player Star Wars projects. Nobody's going to stop them if they only wanted multiplayer/live service games in their profile.
The reason is that they're losing the Star Wars contract soonish, so they can't plan for long-term profit extraction.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
The reason is that they're losing the Star Wars contract soonish, so they can't plan for long-term profit extraction.
This makes more sense. Please ignore my paranoid ranting.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:08 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Meesa gonna riot.

But seriously though, it is actually kinda nice that this'll be a standalone experience and not a thing that's trying to sell you a billion other things.

Tags
fallen order , marty mcfly , roo-roo dlc or i riot , second sister , star wars