The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-04-2019, 10:30 PM
Slammaster

Default Giant Robot Pest Control: Talking About Mechstermination Force

It's gooooooooooooood.

I have some minor gripes about not being able to strafe, but overall, this game rules. I made myself finish the video I was working on before I allowed myself to play it, then I immediately blew threw the first four fights. This game is exactly what I thought it would be, and that rules.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 PM
YOU FOOL??

Pronouns: He/Him

I love how the fights progressively get more complex and ridiculous. The trailer makes it look it's demonstrating how to fight Mechaman-83 start to finish, when it's actually like a quarter of the battle.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:02 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

The ridiculous escalation of the fights is definitely a highlight.

I was patting myself on the back for getting a no-hit win against Mechastructor when he immediately transforms into a crocodile and the fight resumes
Old 04-05-2019, 07:01 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I was playing the game when some friends came over and their reaction to Octo's spoiler was wonderful. One of them even bought the game immediately after getting home afterward.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:16 AM
Not 100% a dick

I played for about an hour last night, very much enjoying it. Jumping physics feel a little weird but otherwise solid.

I hope this game doesn't get ignored because Cuphead is right around the corner.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Why am I better at games while short on sleep and caffeine and headache-y? Anyway, beat another couple of mechs this morning. Gun Mech Five felt like the easiest mech since the tutorial - I almost made it on my first run and on the second I ended with about half my health left. It made for a nice break between other mechs, but unfortunately I don't think I made much money on it.

If I have a complaint it's that the magnetic gloves feel really spotty on whether they activate or not. That and the tiny Switch buttons making it real easy for me to hit multiple buttons at once and do a melee attack or swap weapons instead of whatever I'm actually trying to do.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE-Ryan View Post
I played for about an hour last night, very much enjoying it. Jumping physics feel a little weird but otherwise solid.
I feel like I should have a double-jump for some reason, but I get that this is my problem and not the game's.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:59 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
I feel like I should have a double-jump for some reason, but I get that this is my problem and not the game's.
It's the games, and they realize that oversight.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Slammaster

I'M A PSYCHIC!
Old 04-05-2019, 05:04 PM
Funko Superfan

This game

is super excellent.

Thereís even a Gunman Clive remix!

Speedruns are going to be nutso.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:26 PM
Slammaster

I took on the two-headed guy, and this game is still very good. It seems to become even more Shadow of the Colossus-like as it goes on.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:51 PM
Slammaster

So, Stephen and I played some co-op while he was visiting me for Wrestlemania weekend, and while this game is a lot of fun co-op, it is positively bizarre that when playing couch co-op, the camera stays locked to the 1p character until they die, even if they're, like, falling down a pit or something, while 2p is still fighting the robot.

Also, the wave beam rules and there's a fight later in the game that is kinda Voltron/Megazord, and it's pretty dope. Still really dig this game.

Oh, and the double-jump helps a lot.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Chief Servbot

This game is good but I wish the controls were tighter
Old 04-10-2019, 10:33 PM
Funko Superfan

These snakes think they can make my day but I played a castelvan once upon a time and I know a thing or two about snakes coming out of a skull.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Slammaster

But did said Castlevan have lava under the skull snakes?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Boy I wish I could platform worth a damn with the stick or aim worth a damn with the buttons.

It's not hard to swap but there's already enough going on that thinking about doing so is a bit of a pain.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:46 AM
Slammaster

This game is one of those situations where I was very glad to have purchased one of those Hori left joycons with a real d-pad.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Slammaster

Finished the game. The final boss is kinda bogus, just because it does that thing where the last stage is completely different from the rest of the game, which just kinda flies in the face of my love of games that make the final stage a test of all your skills and tools. Still, really enjoyed the bulk of the game.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:54 AM
Funko Superfan

Finished with 73 retries. I donít agree entirely about the last boss. Itís not entirely different. Youíre still doing the same things, observing patterns, destroying parts, whacking the weak point. And the same rules apply like what parts can be destroyed and how different kinds of bullets work. You just have different movement options, which is also a running design theme throughout the game.

Regardless of the last boss, gameís a classic and I loved it. Canít wait for speedruns.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:53 AM
Slammaster

Nah, man. Throughout the game you get additional movement options. The final boss literally changes the game from a run 'n' gun to a Time Pilot-style free moving space shooter that takes away all of your previous movement options and just lets you float around. Sure, the weapons are the same, and sure, you still have to hit the red part with melee, but other than that, it's very different from the rest of the game.

I mean, it's fine, I still loved it, but the final boss was pretty easy in comparison to the last trio of normal bosses, and changed up the game so much that it was just kind of a letdown for a final encounter. I still would recommend it 100% to anyone who thought the core premise was interesting.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Funko Superfan

Iím not saying itís not different but you make it sound like itís entirely different genre, like if an rpg ended with a platformer skill-based challenge. This is more like a half-step change: platformer-shooter to free-movement shooter. Youíre still essentially doing the same primary thing: shooting and dodging. While it may not be a ďcumilation of everything you learned Final ExamĒ type boss, it also doesnít blindsind you with requiring entirely new skills that were not previously introduced. It sounds like player tolerance for this kind of design is going to be a big factor in how the final boss is received. I thought it was an appropriate choice in that it escalated an established design trend even though it pushed the game into a new play space.

Tags
gun , hard corps cuprising , man , mech , run and gun