The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Pronouns: he
Posts: 16,571
Default

I love SaGa Frontier with the caveat that I have twice softlocked my game by getting myself into an unwinnable battle against the Magma Slimes (near the end of Riki's scenario IIRC).
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Sarge's Avatar
Sarge Sarge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,437
Default

Terranigma is janky?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-01-2019, 09:57 AM
ozacrot's Avatar
ozacrot ozacrot is offline
graffiti programmer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Haven (is a place where nothing ever happens)
Pronouns: he/him
Posts: 1,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Terranigma is janky?
With the caveat that I've only played through it once, IMO kind of! The magic system is a bit of a mess, the menu does the "walk through liminal space" thing which is cool but not exactly ergonomic, the way strength scales makes a low-level run ill-advised if not impossible, and toward the end of the game it's not entirely clear where you should go when/ how to level up the different cities (although that last one may be more of a matter of the localization.)

I will concede that the 80% of the game where you're doing a diving dash attack is buttery flawless.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-01-2019, 10:02 AM
Sarge's Avatar
Sarge Sarge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozacrot View Post
With the caveat that I've only played through it once, IMO kind of! The magic system is a bit of a mess, the menu does the "walk through liminal space" thing which is cool but not exactly ergonomic, the way strength scales makes a low-level run ill-advised if not impossible, and toward the end of the game it's not entirely clear where you should go when/ how to level up the different cities (although that last one may be more of a matter of the localization.)

I will concede that the 80% of the game where you're doing a diving dash attack is buttery flawless.
Ah, cool. I was wondering. I agree the magic system feels sketch, to the point that I don't even use it. I was mostly just thinking of that awesome, awesome melee combat.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Vega's Avatar
Vega Vega is offline
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Space Coast, FL
Posts: 3,769
Default

I'm with you that RPG elements mixed into other genres can be more fun than straight up turn based RPGs. I feel that way even after having played through and enjoying a couple dozen turn based JRPGs.

You might try watching a Let's Play of the JRPGs you keep wanting to get around to. Hearing the running commentary from someone who unreservedly enjoys the genre might help. Or you might realize from the way they enjoy it that this genre simply isn't going to click for you and you can be satisfied to leave it.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-01-2019, 02:28 PM
R^2's Avatar
R^2 R^2 is offline
Chuck 'im into the soup!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,382
Default

I'm pretty sure there's a circle of hell where people are just forced to play Riki's scenario over and over until the end of eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-01-2019, 03:36 PM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
linktr.ee/stuartgipp
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,346
Default

I'm doing Chrono Trigger instead.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-01-2019, 06:26 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I'm doing Chrono Trigger instead.
Now that you've played Saga Frontier for a few hours you can really appreciate Chrono Trigger.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 AM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
linktr.ee/stuartgipp
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,346
Default

I know this is going to seem a little bit contrarian (what else is new?) but I genuinely think Chrono Trigger is a good game
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Posaune's Avatar
Posaune Posaune is offline
What Time Is It?
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I know this is going to seem a little bit contrarian (what else is new?) but I genuinely think Chrono Trigger is a good game
This is maybe your worst take yet.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is offline
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 49,020
Default

That's our Madhair
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-10-2019, 12:59 AM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
linktr.ee/stuartgipp
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,346
Default

Got back from time away and stuck Chrono Trigger on. Pretty sure this game just Rickrolled me
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-10-2019, 01:02 AM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,406
Default

Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 AM
Octopus Prime's Avatar
Octopus Prime Octopus Prime is offline
Mystery Contraption
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Great White North
Pronouns: He
Posts: 49,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Got back from time away and stuck Chrono Trigger on. Pretty sure this game just Rickrolled me
The long con worked!

We can finally stop recommending the game!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 PM
Torzelbaum's Avatar
Torzelbaum Torzelbaum is offline
????? LV 13 HP 292/
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Illinois
Pronouns: he, him, his
Posts: 13,069
Default

Yes!

But geez - now what are we going to do with our time?
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Mightyblue's Avatar
Mightyblue Mightyblue is offline
Are You Sure About That?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: I am a Mountain Man, in a mountain land
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Posts: 23,467
Default

Speaking of Koudelka (a while ago), The Dark Id's LP just got posted to the LP archive.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 04-11-2019, 04:27 AM
Peklo's Avatar
Peklo Peklo is offline
Love is OGR
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Finland
Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her
Posts: 1,190
Default

I'll put in a recommendation to avoid that if you're interested in Koudelka. Like everything by that author, it's the work of someone who is so deeply, unerringly cynical in their approach to media that the only way they reflect on those interactions is through categorical snark and mockery. Occasionally, there's a half-a-sentence to the effect of "despite literally everything I've said and will continue to say about it, I do like [x]" meant to assuage the reader of the ostensible good faith treatment of whatever's being covered, but it inevitably always returns to shitting on video games for what they are in performative abandon, while repeatedly insinuating or flatly stating that this stuff is too old or weird or hostile or bad to be bothered with through anything but the context of a riff LP.

I recommend playing Koudelka instead.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 04-11-2019, 05:14 AM
Nodal's Avatar
Nodal Nodal is offline
:O
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Speaking of Koudelka (a while ago), The Dark Id's LP just got posted to the LP archive.
Oh rad, I love his LPs, thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:57 AM
Pajaro Pete's Avatar
Pajaro Pete Pajaro Pete is offline
so exciting!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19,842
Default

just play half minute hero
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 04-11-2019, 09:57 AM
MetManMas's Avatar
MetManMas MetManMas is offline
I hunt Mondays.
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Posts: 22,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
I'll put in a recommendation to avoid that if you're interested in Koudelka. Like everything by that author, it's the work of someone who is so deeply, unerringly cynical in their approach to media that the only way they reflect on those interactions is through categorical snark and mockery. Occasionally, there's a half-a-sentence to the effect of "despite literally everything I've said and will continue to say about it, I do like [x]" meant to assuage the reader of the ostensible good faith treatment of whatever's being covered, but it inevitably always returns to shitting on video games for what they are in performative abandon, while repeatedly insinuating or flatly stating that this stuff is too old or weird or hostile or bad to be bothered with through anything but the context of a riff LP.

I recommend playing Koudelka instead.
Even if you don't like the snark in TheDarkId's LPs (which is perfectly understandable given how hostile he is to the games overall), they're still handy resources for screenshots and official art.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 04-11-2019, 03:32 PM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
linktr.ee/stuartgipp
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,346
Default

I'm now officially in "new" Chrono Trigger cos I got past the part I lost my save at before. I would have carried on but I urgently had to play Lemmings 2: The Tribes. I saw the End of Time tho. Sorry for spoilers
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 04-12-2019, 05:20 AM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
linktr.ee/stuartgipp
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
I'll put in a recommendation to avoid that if you're interested in Koudelka. Like everything by that author, it's the work of someone who is so deeply, unerringly cynical in their approach to media that the only way they reflect on those interactions is through categorical snark and mockery. Occasionally, there's a half-a-sentence to the effect of "despite literally everything I've said and will continue to say about it, I do like [x]" meant to assuage the reader of the ostensible good faith treatment of whatever's being covered, but it inevitably always returns to shitting on video games for what they are in performative abandon, while repeatedly insinuating or flatly stating that this stuff is too old or weird or hostile or bad to be bothered with through anything but the context of a riff LP.

I recommend playing Koudelka instead.
Great post
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Sarge's Avatar
Sarge Sarge is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,437
Default

I read a little bit of that LP myself, and yeah, I don't think it really works unless you have played through the game, and can laugh a bit at it in hindsight.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 04-12-2019, 10:42 AM
kirsikirsikka's Avatar
kirsikirsikka kirsikirsikka is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clock Tower A
Pronouns: She/Her
Posts: 112
Default

The point is to afford the game a better, more genuine approach than a mean-spirited riff, which is so often the default mode of interaction.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Mightyblue's Avatar
Mightyblue Mightyblue is offline
Are You Sure About That?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: I am a Mountain Man, in a mountain land
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Posts: 23,467
Default

I mean, that's the thing isn't it? Koudelka itself is mean and petty towards the player and fundamentally broken on a number of levels. And while that brokenness generally works in the player's favor, all of that still inspires an equal irony in the player as well (or at least it did for me way back in the day when I rented it).

So to deride the darkid's LP (in particular or in general, since he only really LPs things that both speak to him and are mechanical tire fires) as not sincerely engaging with the game is sorta gatekeeper-y as well. For him (and presumably those that like his LPs), that ironic derision-paired-with-affection approach is "genuine" to him and for others to declare otherwise echoes the no true scotsman fallacy.

You don't have to like his approach, but you also don't get to decide what's "genuine" for other people either.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Pronouns: he
Posts: 16,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
So to deride the darkid's LP (in particular or in general, since he only really LPs things that both speak to him and are mechanical tire fires) as not sincerely engaging with the game is sorta gatekeeper-y as well. For him (and presumably those that like his LPs), that ironic derision-paired-with-affection approach is "genuine" to him and for others to declare otherwise echoes the no true scotsman fallacy.
That's not a real no true Scotsman fallacy.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Mightyblue's Avatar
Mightyblue Mightyblue is offline
Are You Sure About That?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: I am a Mountain Man, in a mountain land
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Posts: 23,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
That's not a real no true Scotsman fallacy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
otherwise echoes
I am aware?
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Peklo's Avatar
Peklo Peklo is offline
Love is OGR
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Finland
Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her
Posts: 1,190
Default

I think his approach to discussing media is nasty and wildly unexamined across over a decade of unchanged writing voice and tonal presentation, and ultimately frames its subjects as lesser than they are in a disingenuous way in context of the "but there's good here" premise. It's what happens when you approach longform coverage like that from the standpoint of comedy first, from a community and ecosystem that thrived under prioritizing snappy zingers and "irreverent" material and fostered that as the primary mode of writing about games or really anything else on the enthusiast Internet.

I don't know if it was directed at me specifically, but it sure feels great to be accused of gatekeeping when trying to push against dominant, long-entrenched models of nerd discourse through suggesting personal curiosity and investment instead of latching onto codified point-by-point deconstructive texts.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Pronouns: he
Posts: 16,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I am aware?
It was a bit of no true Scotsman humor, you see
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Mightyblue's Avatar
Mightyblue Mightyblue is offline
Are You Sure About That?
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: I am a Mountain Man, in a mountain land
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Posts: 23,467
Default

I don't share your appraisal of his approach/content, which is fair.

Quote:
I don't know if it was directed at me specifically, but it sure feels great to be accused of gatekeeping when trying to push against dominant, long-entrenched models of nerd discourse through suggesting personal curiosity and investment instead of latching onto codified point-by-point deconstructive texts.
It's great that you do what you do, but you also have to understand that not everyone has the time/resources to indulge their personal curiosity and invest in everything that gets LP'd, let along gaming as a whole. Hence LP'ing as a general format, or longplays and so on. So it's also annoying/irritating to have that dismissed because you don't like the way those are commonly approached, and that also feels exclusionary.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arguing on the internet , jrpg , jrpgs , recommend games , recommendations

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007