The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I love SaGa Frontier with the caveat that I have twice softlocked my game by getting myself into an unwinnable battle against the Magma Slimes (near the end of Riki's scenario IIRC).
Old 04-01-2019, 08:59 AM

Terranigma is janky?
Old 04-01-2019, 09:57 AM
graffiti programmer

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Terranigma is janky?
With the caveat that I've only played through it once, IMO kind of! The magic system is a bit of a mess, the menu does the "walk through liminal space" thing which is cool but not exactly ergonomic, the way strength scales makes a low-level run ill-advised if not impossible, and toward the end of the game it's not entirely clear where you should go when/ how to level up the different cities (although that last one may be more of a matter of the localization.)

I will concede that the 80% of the game where you're doing a diving dash attack is buttery flawless.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozacrot View Post
With the caveat that I've only played through it once, IMO kind of! The magic system is a bit of a mess, the menu does the "walk through liminal space" thing which is cool but not exactly ergonomic, the way strength scales makes a low-level run ill-advised if not impossible, and toward the end of the game it's not entirely clear where you should go when/ how to level up the different cities (although that last one may be more of a matter of the localization.)

I will concede that the 80% of the game where you're doing a diving dash attack is buttery flawless.
Ah, cool. I was wondering. I agree the magic system feels sketch, to the point that I don't even use it. I was mostly just thinking of that awesome, awesome melee combat.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

I'm with you that RPG elements mixed into other genres can be more fun than straight up turn based RPGs. I feel that way even after having played through and enjoying a couple dozen turn based JRPGs.

You might try watching a Let's Play of the JRPGs you keep wanting to get around to. Hearing the running commentary from someone who unreservedly enjoys the genre might help. Or you might realize from the way they enjoy it that this genre simply isn't going to click for you and you can be satisfied to leave it.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I'm pretty sure there's a circle of hell where people are just forced to play Riki's scenario over and over until the end of eternity.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:36 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I'm doing Chrono Trigger instead.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:26 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I'm doing Chrono Trigger instead.
Now that you've played Saga Frontier for a few hours you can really appreciate Chrono Trigger.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I know this is going to seem a little bit contrarian (what else is new?) but I genuinely think Chrono Trigger is a good game
Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 PM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
I know this is going to seem a little bit contrarian (what else is new?) but I genuinely think Chrono Trigger is a good game
This is maybe your worst take yet.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

That's our Madhair
Old 04-10-2019, 12:59 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Got back from time away and stuck Chrono Trigger on. Pretty sure this game just Rickrolled me
Old 04-10-2019, 01:02 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Got back from time away and stuck Chrono Trigger on. Pretty sure this game just Rickrolled me
The long con worked!

We can finally stop recommending the game!
Old 04-10-2019, 05:42 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Yes!

But geez - now what are we going to do with our time?
Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Speaking of Koudelka (a while ago), The Dark Id's LP just got posted to the LP archive.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:27 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

I'll put in a recommendation to avoid that if you're interested in Koudelka. Like everything by that author, it's the work of someone who is so deeply, unerringly cynical in their approach to media that the only way they reflect on those interactions is through categorical snark and mockery. Occasionally, there's a half-a-sentence to the effect of "despite literally everything I've said and will continue to say about it, I do like [x]" meant to assuage the reader of the ostensible good faith treatment of whatever's being covered, but it inevitably always returns to shitting on video games for what they are in performative abandon, while repeatedly insinuating or flatly stating that this stuff is too old or weird or hostile or bad to be bothered with through anything but the context of a riff LP.

I recommend playing Koudelka instead.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:14 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Speaking of Koudelka (a while ago), The Dark Id's LP just got posted to the LP archive.
Oh rad, I love his LPs, thanks a lot.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:57 AM
so exciting!

just play half minute hero
Old 04-11-2019, 09:57 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
I'll put in a recommendation to avoid that if you're interested in Koudelka. Like everything by that author, it's the work of someone who is so deeply, unerringly cynical in their approach to media that the only way they reflect on those interactions is through categorical snark and mockery. Occasionally, there's a half-a-sentence to the effect of "despite literally everything I've said and will continue to say about it, I do like [x]" meant to assuage the reader of the ostensible good faith treatment of whatever's being covered, but it inevitably always returns to shitting on video games for what they are in performative abandon, while repeatedly insinuating or flatly stating that this stuff is too old or weird or hostile or bad to be bothered with through anything but the context of a riff LP.

Even if you don't like the snark in TheDarkId's LPs (which is perfectly understandable given how hostile he is to the games overall), they're still handy resources for screenshots and official art.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:32 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I'm now officially in "new" Chrono Trigger cos I got past the part I lost my save at before. I would have carried on but I urgently had to play Lemmings 2: The Tribes. I saw the End of Time tho. Sorry for spoilers
Old 04-12-2019, 05:20 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post

Great post
Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 AM

I read a little bit of that LP myself, and yeah, I don't think it really works unless you have played through the game, and can laugh a bit at it in hindsight.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Pronouns: She/Her

The point is to afford the game a better, more genuine approach than a mean-spirited riff, which is so often the default mode of interaction.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I mean, that's the thing isn't it? Koudelka itself is mean and petty towards the player and fundamentally broken on a number of levels. And while that brokenness generally works in the player's favor, all of that still inspires an equal irony in the player as well (or at least it did for me way back in the day when I rented it).

So to deride the darkid's LP (in particular or in general, since he only really LPs things that both speak to him and are mechanical tire fires) as not sincerely engaging with the game is sorta gatekeeper-y as well. For him (and presumably those that like his LPs), that ironic derision-paired-with-affection approach is "genuine" to him and for others to declare otherwise echoes the no true scotsman fallacy.

You don't have to like his approach, but you also don't get to decide what's "genuine" for other people either.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
So to deride the darkid's LP (in particular or in general, since he only really LPs things that both speak to him and are mechanical tire fires) as not sincerely engaging with the game is sorta gatekeeper-y as well. For him (and presumably those that like his LPs), that ironic derision-paired-with-affection approach is "genuine" to him and for others to declare otherwise echoes the no true scotsman fallacy.
That's not a real no true Scotsman fallacy.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
That's not a real no true Scotsman fallacy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
otherwise echoes
I am aware?
Old 04-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

I think his approach to discussing media is nasty and wildly unexamined across over a decade of unchanged writing voice and tonal presentation, and ultimately frames its subjects as lesser than they are in a disingenuous way in context of the "but there's good here" premise. It's what happens when you approach longform coverage like that from the standpoint of comedy first, from a community and ecosystem that thrived under prioritizing snappy zingers and "irreverent" material and fostered that as the primary mode of writing about games or really anything else on the enthusiast Internet.

I don't know if it was directed at me specifically, but it sure feels great to be accused of gatekeeping when trying to push against dominant, long-entrenched models of nerd discourse through suggesting personal curiosity and investment instead of latching onto codified point-by-point deconstructive texts.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:44 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
I am aware?
It was a bit of no true Scotsman humor, you see
Old 04-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I don't share your appraisal of his approach/content, which is fair.

Quote:
I don't know if it was directed at me specifically, but it sure feels great to be accused of gatekeeping when trying to push against dominant, long-entrenched models of nerd discourse through suggesting personal curiosity and investment instead of latching onto codified point-by-point deconstructive texts.
It's great that you do what you do, but you also have to understand that not everyone has the time/resources to indulge their personal curiosity and invest in everything that gets LP'd, let along gaming as a whole. Hence LP'ing as a general format, or longplays and so on. So it's also annoying/irritating to have that dismissed because you don't like the way those are commonly approached, and that also feels exclusionary.

Tags
arguing on the internet , jrpg , jrpgs , recommend games , recommendations