The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-29-2019, 12:03 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Default Risk of Rain 2 - Rain's a Metaphor for Crates

Risk of Rain 2 is worth its own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdn42 View Post
Risk of Rain 2 is now in Early Access.

I'm not sure how sold I am on 3D, but I'm definitely sold on some more Chris Christodoulou music (which is how I found about it before seeing it on Steam).
Thoughts so far:
  • Commando is good if you like rapid procs, but it still sucks you gotta play as him first.
  • That said, MUL-T and Huntress are both very early unlocks.
  • Huntress is for you if you don't want to aim, and she can even fire her default weapon while sprinting.
  • Oh, everybody gets a sprint now, for free! Items are tied to it, even.
  • MUL-T is my boi. It's basically a reworked HAN-D, they're the same basic model and everything. MUL-T's big thing is having two primary weapons that it swaps between. Each weapon mode can have a different use item equipped, too, which can get very silly.
  • Maps seem smaller than before, but that might just be because there's less verticality and you can, like, see more of it at a time.
  • There are some new features like Lunar Coins, a currency that carries over between runs. You still have to find something to use them for in a run, though.
  • Drones seem way cheaper and way more useful now. There are also turrets, which are like drones, but sit still. Whether they're good or not depends on where they spawn.
  • Teleporters work different - you don't get to pick your kill floor anymore. While you can kill the boss from wherever you please, the timer for the teleporter to be ready only fills up while you're within a certain distance of it. The range is big enough to maneuver in, but it'll still lead to you getting surrounded pretty easily.
  • Multiplayer is easy to set up and great. There's even a ping button to highlight stuff you found for other players.
  • You'll recognize a lot of items from Risk of Rain 1, and they pretty much do the same things as they did before! There are new ones, though; the Use items in particular seem to have a whole pile of new kinds, all of which are great like the Ocular HUD's 100% crit rate buff.
  • 3D Printers, ya'll. 3D Printers. Best new thing in the game. A lucky 3D Printer with like Soldier's Syringe or something could make a breaking run all by itself.
  • There are a lot more optional things you can do; portals sometimes open up and take you to bonus maps, and there are shrines that will make boss fights harder for extra rewards.
  • It's really, really, really good. I like it a lot!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:51 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

Pulling a JBear.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:55 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Fair; there's no ending yet.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:22 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Pulling a JBear.
Ow!

This looks rad, but I too will be, appropriately enough, pulling a JBear. "The online is good now" is all I needed to hear!
Old 03-29-2019, 06:06 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I am extremely interested but I already have Warframe absorbing most of my time. Definitely on the radar for the next time I start getting frame fatigue though.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:29 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Iím not giving it a second glance until they add Acrid, though Iím guessing Acrid doesnít really work in 3D.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:14 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Iím not giving it a second glance until they add Acrid, though Iím guessing Acrid doesnít really work in 3D.
I presume they've given lots of thought as to how to translate all of these characters into 3D, and I can see Acrid working. You make his stun attack a cone, his speed-boosting/damaging slime an AoE around where he walks, and his other two abilities should work fine provided they have targeting/melee combat worked out in general, which I would hope is the case.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:32 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

I haven't played Mercenary yet, but I have spectated someone playing Mercenary and it looks solid. They also specified that Mercenary was "pretty amazing." None of the other characters really have melee attacks, though. I mean, I tend to use MUL-T's nailgun as a melee attack, but it IS supposed to have range.

Fire trail elites are still in, and while it's less of a nightmare than it used to be, it's still nothing to be laughed at. One of the new bosses throws down damage floor that accounts for 100% of my deaths against it, too.

Biggest surprise: Magma Worm is now basically a death sentence? It's SUPER HARD to fight in 3D.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:33 AM
The Goofiest Roebro

The returning bosses from the previous game are absolutely stunning. They've been realized in an incredible way, especially the Magma Worm.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:48 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

My favorite is Engineer so I'm hoping their solution to the entire "make aiming work in 3D" thing is ... don't.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:28 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I'm a grumpy old man who would have preferred more 2D Risk of Rain, but I have to admit that the 3D imaginings of the old enemies are wonderful.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:28 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I didn't play the first one and bought this on a whim, and it's neat
Old 03-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Boom

My favorite class in the original was Sniper, mostly because the rhythm of reloading between the powerful single shots felt really cool.

How's the balance in this one, so far? I found the original game way more fun with Glass enabled. Everything feels so slow, otherwise.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

The balance feels kind of similar, but I feel like I'm also fighting less enemies than I would be in Risk of Rain 1. I'm definitely still looking forward to Glass, though. Crowd control is also a lot better now that there are more than two axes you can move on.

Engineer's pretty solid, but his Thermal Harpoons have been swapped out for a Halo bubble shield, presumably because every character has a survival ability except for the one whose thing is "I don't have a survival ability" and everyone has to aim except for the one whose thing is "I don't have to aim." Engineer is definitely aiming-light, though. Since the bombs are so wide-spread, and the two turrets get business done pretty well on their own, and count as allies with HP bars and stuff instead of only existing for 30 seconds. The solo potential on Engineer is pretty solid because of that alone.

Sniper is not in yet. But I cannot imagine a world where Sniper does not get in, especially since MUL-T's two weapon modes are Commando-lite and Sniper-lite.

The completely, 100%, not-a-retool, new character, Artificer, super isn't my thing, but I'm sure it's someone's thing. They're the one without a survival ability. They've got the slowest primary weapon in the game. It stocks four uses, but each use takes a full second to reload. It's pretty powerful for a primary, but you're meant to use it to fill space while recharging your other three abilities, which are all absurd. They've got this charge-able DBZ spirit-bomb esque deal that deals stupid damage, an ice wall that freezes enemies and cuts their max HP / instantly kills them if they're already weakened, and flamethrower hands that deal obscene amounts of damage very quickly. They're pretty fragile, but it seems like they'll be good at quickly DPSing bosses and crowd control.

Here's a big change: pour one out for Infusions. Infusion caps out at 100 extra HP. Which I'm guessing is a change to make it matter who you picked in terms of durability. Instead of getting more HP faster, though, stacking Infusions now increases that cap by 100 each, so there's a real reason to stack them.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 03-29-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:18 PM
Lichotaur

Bought it and played a few rounds. Maybe I'll just learn the stages better after a few places, but at the moment it feels this game really needs a mini-map or some way to know which way to go. It's easy to get lost and have no idea where to go.
My second play I got the feather and was able to jump up the mountain and get completely away from all enemies. I got up high enough to get to the edge of the level geometry. At one of the edges I could fire down at a group of enemies far below.
My 4th play (last for the moment), I was able to locate the transporter and get to the second area. Wasn't sure where to go after a while and was going in circles without locating the transporter. It seemed I could go higher, but it wasn't obvious which tree I needed to go to and if there was a way to climb them.

All that said, it's pretty good so far.

If anyone wants my second copy, let me know.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:08 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I'd happily take it, but I'm not likely to play it immediately. If someone else is itching for it, then I'll pass.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:18 AM

Quote:
If anyone wants my second copy, let me know.
Very yes. I slept through the 2 for 1 sale.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:07 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
My favorite class in the original was Sniper, mostly because the rhythm of reloading between the powerful single shots felt really cool.

How's the balance in this one, so far? I found the original game way more fun with Glass enabled. Everything feels so slow, otherwise.
Hell yeah, Sniper is love. The GoW active reload is always fun, as is the jump reloading dance (it reminds me of Hunter kiting in older versions of WoW). There are few things more satisfying than charging up a big shot and making a whole line explode, or nuking a boss' entire health bar in one shot.

And it makes sense that you'd like Glass as a Sniper player. I love it too!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:37 AM
Lichotaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Very yes. I slept through the 2 for 1 sale.
I don't know if I have you as a friend on Steam, let me know what your name is there or send me a friend request.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I played two games last night. First one ended when the first boss killed me; second went to 64 minutes before I suicided because I had been on the third stage for over forty minutes without finding the goddamn teleporter and I needed to go to bed.

I don't know if I need a Glass mode on this game. Nothing seems as bullet-spongy as in the original while I appreciate the extra buffer of HP when I get blindsided by something I never saw due to the new perspective. Maybe if it's less dramatic than RoR's Glass artifact. I was perfectly happy with the balance when I got the Shaped Glass item in my second run.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know if I have you as a friend on Steam, let me know what your name is there or send me a friend request.
Pretty sure that's an invite sent. Not sure if it'll come through as Googleshng or my current display name. Feel free to ask a quick "that you?" via PM or whatever if needed.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I don't know if I need a Glass mode on this game. Nothing seems as bullet-spongy as in the original while I appreciate the extra buffer of HP when I get blindsided by something I never saw due to the new perspective. Maybe if it's less dramatic than RoR's Glass artifact. I was perfectly happy with the balance when I got the Shaped Glass item in my second run.
Yeah, maybe half everything's HP and I'm good.

Mostly this is just great, but the issues I do have:
- Frost Relic is tier 3 now, yet things getting right on top of you is no longer so much of a thing.
- Wisps really should spawn closer to the ground. I'm not comfortable having to look straight up for things.
- Lemurians can get weirdly deadly weirdly quick.
- Radar might be called for?
Old 03-31-2019, 05:45 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Can you suspend save this time?
Old 03-31-2019, 09:53 AM
Indelible Inkling

Not as far as I can tell. Also this game actually stresses my GPU so it's harder to just leave it running in the background.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:03 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

If I were going to host a three-hour seminar about surviving in Risk of Rain 2, I would name it Solutions For Wisp Management.

My boi, MUL-T doesn't really have a good way to rapidly kill wisps without items, but I'm not sure any of the characters do. Maybe Huntress if you can wrangle her lock-on into behaving? Engineer's turrets?
Old 04-01-2019, 12:24 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Got a refund because runs on this one could realistically take 4 hours and I canít even suspend save/put the machine into sleep mode. lmk when they implement this
Old 04-02-2019, 04:42 AM

Got a real real good Huntress run going. The way she works I really wish I could just leave sprint constantly active. Even with 3 infusions stacked, late game survivability is all about that high speed circling.

Now I just need to figure out what exactly to do to unlock mercenary.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Wannabe Indie Game Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Got a refund because runs on this one could realistically take 4 hours and I canít even suspend save/put the machine into sleep mode. lmk when they implement this
Not really - teleporters are much harder to find in this one, and yeah, that ABSOLUTELY does need to change in some respect, but 4 hours is an exageration. An hour'll get you through to the end (once it's implemented; currently, just the loop is implemented).

Overall, the game feels like a natural growth from the original game, which is excellent. Feels very Risk of Rain-y, but just with fewer items currently. Eager to see how it grows!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I cannot get multiplayer to work with anyone under any circumstance. Pretty raddddddddd
Old 04-04-2019, 08:52 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I cannot get multiplayer to work with anyone under any circumstance. Pretty raddddddddd
So it is Risk of Rain!