The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-21-2019, 04:58 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Default Mass Effect and Iron Man had a baby and it's name is Anthem

Hey so Anthem is coming out T O N I G H T at 9 PM PST

I'm sure there's been talk in other threads about EA needing this game to be a success and Apex Legends' success potentially eating into it, and the dumb way they staggered the release based on, like, Origin Big Boi Points™ or whatever the fuck, I don't care.

And I'm sure there's also been talk about all the reviews/pre-release buzz, which has overall been that the game is good, but flawed, and how much you'll like it is directly related to how much you like Diablo-style loot in a shooter and how much you believe they'll fix things.

And I'm sure there's also been talk about how Bioware has already been pretty open and transparent about the problems and been really recepetive to community feedback, and have already implemented some fixes during the weird semi-release period (as well as a "day one patch" that is technically already out even though the game officially isn't yet)

Also apparently the story is acceptable but whatever, and I guess that is upsetting to people because it's Bioware, but it's also a looter shooter so who cares about story

But I couldn't find an Anthem thread to throw all of that in one place, so I made one.

Despite getting burned by Fallout 76 previously, I'm about to take another gamble on a lukewarmly-reviewed online multiplayer service game. I wasn't going to back in January, but then a friend talked me back into it, and then THEY got cold feet TODAY because of what I said previously mixed with the game's reception, but I've already spent the past 3 weeks trying to re-psyche myself up for it so I'm mentally locked into it so fuck it, let's jetpack around and shoot bugs until they poop guns

So yeah, is anyone else getting this? I'm assuming most people are NOT and are gonna wait for the "Bioware has righted the ship on Anthem" thinkpieces before they jump in.

Also I'm gonna need 3 other people to team up with so we can cosplay as the Knight Sabers from Bubblegum Crisis, but if we really wanna MEAN it we gotta play as Interceptors, and I dunno that class looks dumb to me. But just think about it, people.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:11 PM

I'm not, but my brother is snagging it tonight. He liked what he played of the demo, and appreciated that the classes actually feel different from each other unlike Destiny.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:21 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I'm assuming most people are NOT and are gonna wait for the "Bioware has righted the ship on Anthem" thinkpieces before they jump in.
Yeah, I'm in that camp. I have a hard enough time sticking by MMOs that are good right now, so I'm not really down for paying a $60 investment to beta test a game that might be really great after a few years of patches and feedback.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:25 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I'm not, but my brother is snagging it tonight. He liked what he played of the demo, and appreciated that the classes actually feel different from each other unlike Destiny.
To be fair to Destiny, what makes the classes different are your Exotics...but he's not wrong, there's definitely more uniformity than in Anthem.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Half-Ninja

The demo wasn't bad but shooting kinda sucked. Enemies were bullet sponges and guns felt kinda piddly. But flying was fun, as was exploring. It plays better than Destiny in most areas except for shooting.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:20 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Early ThoughtZ™:

- The controls need adjusting if you're playing mouse+keyboard, but once you fiddle with sensitivities a bit, it feels good. Flying takes some practice to do effectively, and the shooting only feels okay, but throwing powers at people feels good. It feels like a...faster paced but more squirrely Mass Effect Andromeda?

- The game is clearly missing a certain je ne sais quois; it's not as immediately engrossing as Mass Effect 1/2/3 were, but you sort of settle into a groove of doing missions/talking to people at the fort/repeat and everything starts to fall into place. I have the Storm and Ranger so far, and the Storm feels crazy overpowered for early content. Doing combos is clearly what this game is built around, but being able to self combo and throw out status effects right off the bat kinda trivializes things.

- Also being able to float indefinitely as Storm and then trying to play as ANYTHING else really makes you appreciate how different the classes are. Ultimately you're doing the same thing (shoot/throw out powers) but each class has different movement options (Interceptor can dodge 3x, Colossus can't dodge at all, for example) and that's where things really feel different. Plus the health/armor differences are really noticeable too; sure the Storm can hover forever and has a big shield when it does, but once that shield drops, you're basically dead. Whereas Ranger can take a few hits once it's shield is gone.

- The voice direction is a mixed bag? Some lines felt like they were read very quickly in a weirdly rushed manner, and characters will change their tone from one line to another...sometimes. Then, other times, it feels very natural and well done. Wildly inconsistent and very strange, but there are some standout characters.
People are complaining that this game isn't up to Bioware standards, and they aren't wrong, but there's already characters I like and who I hope will get fleshed out more as the game goes on/evolves over time.

- I wish there was a better minimap...as is there's only a compass that is not very helpful when it comes to finding enemies. A Destiny-style radar would help a lot, even if it didn't show the different elevations...but it's manageable as is.

- I need to upgrade my PC =(
Old 02-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Ancient Nameless Hero

How is it as a single-player experience? I know it's meant to be team-based, but I've never been wild about online play; I can be social or I can game, but Tyrants who've done Destiny with me can probably attest that I can't do both. I'm interested in Anthem, but if it's a horrible slog solo, I'll probably pass.

Edit: Also, I realize it may be too early to tell, but does it seem like playing solo locks you out of a lot of content?
Old 02-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Are You Sure About That?

It's like Destiny; dungeons/raids (or whatever the verbage is here) are instanced and can be technically done solo but are designed for party play, everything else is open world with drop-in multiplayer.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

There's kinda no reason to play it solo? You get paired up with people for most missions, and the story is fine but nothing earth shattering, so if the idea of shooting tons of mobs with others isn't appealing to you then...ya know.

If it helps, you don't ever need to really talk to anyone
Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

I don't like playing story modes in co-op because when other players are completing objectives and pushing me faster than I want to go I'm not having a good time. I've heard about players entering missions in Anthem and being warped ahead and missing dialogue and it sounds like a nightmare.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 AM
-ryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I don't like playing story modes in co-op because when other players are completing objectives and pushing me faster than I want to go I'm not having a good time. I've heard about players entering missions in Anthem and being warped ahead and missing dialogue and it sounds like a nightmare.
cosigned. I tend to take things much slower than your average gamer.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:34 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

The dialogue sucks, so if anything, this should be considered mercy

I was talking to BanjoMike while I was playing the other day, and I told him I thought it was a fun game to fuck around with, but if you're someone who's looking for "the next BioWare game", then this shit is absolutely not for you. This game exists for it's gameplay only.

The thing I keep coming back to is that the game feels unfinished. There's bugs; I was playing with 2 friends last night and BOTH of them had the audio cut out completely at seperate points. I didn't have that happen, but I did have a bug where if I plug my headphones in, all music and dialogue gets sped up by about 25%, which then goes back to normal if I switch back to my speakers (or if you restart the game, which I did). If you go to the Launch Bay instead of Fort Tarsis, some of your items and weapons just won't show up when you try to equip them. There's weird icon issues, and the menus are a mess which is complicated by load times*, and it just overall feels like a poor user experience.

But shooting things is fun, so I'm still playing it. But if the idea of a souped up Mass Effect Andromeda gameplay where you're Iron Man isn't appealing, then there's nothing here for you. It's honestly crazy to me that this game exists as it does when it was worked on for so long. It reminds me a lot of Mass Effect 1 and early Warframe? ME had shitty menus and weird jank too, and Warframe is apparently good now but back when I played it was a mess of bugs and weird shit that didn't work (disclosure: I still like old Warframe though, new Warframe doesn't have the same charm). This is both of those games; everything sucks and doesn't work, but jetpacking around and hitting dudes with an electric mace and then making them explode by shooting a super missile into their butt is HELLA fun so fuck it I can deal

People are complaining about the "lack of content" too, but I think that holds less water. I'm 22 hours in and I'm already getting purple rarity drops every mission. So in terms of a "loot grind" game, it's probably on the shallow side, maybe 100 hours before you can get all the best stuff? But like...that's still plenty of time? Just stop playing and come back to it once they add stuff? I dunno, I feel like people are being unreasonable because they can't play this game for 1000 hours so it's "crap".

Anyway the tl;dr is this game sucks but I like it, it's my kind of garbage

* Want to check what challenges you need to complete? Just press J! But only if you're in Town not doing anything or on a Mission! If you're in the Forge, you have to go to weapons, pick a weapon, and then press J. Or back out which causes a loading screen. Are you at the mission select screen (which is needlessly obtuse)? Then you have to either back out and see a loading screen, or go to the forge from there, which causes a loading screen, go to weapons, select weapon, press J.

Want to change items mid-mission? You can't, get fucked

Want to see what quests you currently have? Do all that press J stuff I said above...barf...
Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 AM
Are You Sure About That?

This was in development for six years, so yeah, probably multiple restarts and management-dictated direction changes. I've read that what got released is the product of the last year and a half (so, right after Andromeda got its tepid release reception).
Old 02-25-2019, 08:42 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Also Kristen Schaal does a voice for a super minor character and it's very jarring to hear her doing a voice in a game this bad

Also I finished (I think?) a side quest that resulted in a bakery opening, and as far as I can tell literally nothing changed except there's one table that has bread on it now

Also Faye has one of the weirdest idle animations I have ever seen in my entire life, GOOD LORD
Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 AM
Born in the USA

Quote:
The dialogue sucks, so if anything, this should be considered mercy

I was talking to BanjoMike while I was playing the other day, and I told him I thought it was a fun game to fuck around with, but if you're someone who's looking for "the next BioWare game", then this shit is absolutely not for you. This game exists for it's gameplay only.
Why did BioWare make this
Old 02-25-2019, 09:15 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Because EA was like "make our Destiny/The Division" and they probably had an idea what that looked like, and then Andromeda got shit on, and who knows what happened and now we have this

Did I mention how forced and artificial all the conversations feel? Cuz yeah, that's happening. Plus instead of a dialogue tree, it's literally always one of two options you pick and it doesn't seem to matter which one you take
Old 02-25-2019, 09:17 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

To stay relevant in a changing market. To explore a different kind of experience after Andromeda bombed. Because they're owned by EA and EA directed them to make it. To make shareholders happy. Because someone pitched an idea that sounded cool and they decided to make it a product.

Could be any number of reasons.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:26 AM
Born in the USA

It's mostly a rhetorical question.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:34 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Andromeda didn't really bomb though, it just didn't meet EA's expectations (of selling millions more units than the original ME trilogy).
Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I just tried joining a quickplay mission (randomly matches you up with someone on a quest) and it threw me into one that was bugged and wouldn't let us progress/finish

So I quit and tried joining another, and it said a cutscene was happening, and then that screen went away, and now I'm just stuck on a loading screen indefinitely

Of course I don't even WANT to play quickplay, I just have to because one of the story quests is that I need to fight one of two enemy types, so my best bet is either trying missions and hoping I get one where they show up, or just wandering around in freeplay forever. Also I need to find two of them.

lol
Old 02-25-2019, 12:18 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
To stay relevant in a changing market. To explore a different kind of experience after Andromeda bombed. Because they're owned by EA and EA directed them to make it. To make shareholders happy. Because someone pitched an idea that sounded cool and they decided to make it a product.

Could be any number of reasons.
I'd bet that E.A. and the shareholders are really hoping to get some of that GAS money that games like Fortnite and Warframe are raking in.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:40 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I'd bet that E.A. and the shareholders are really hoping to get some of that GAS money that games like Fortnite and Warframe are raking in.
Unfortunately for Bioware, EA seems to have had that accidentally fall into their lap with Apex Legends.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:37 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I beat it! I got a masterwork too, which was so insanely powerful compared to everything else that it seemed like cheating.

Anyway...now that the story is "done", it is indeed underwhelming, but they leave so many things open ended and up in the air that I think it might actually be interesting once they get around to expanding the story? Owen is just...off somewhere, messing around with the most powerful weapon ever created, and is kinda not really a bad guy but also a bad guy? There's potentially a new enemy faction in the Urgoths, too. And they mention/show the leader of the Dominion in a flashback early on, but nothing is ever heard of him again. I'd be shocked if they made that dude a detailed character model just for him to not show up again. Also, in general, finishing all the dialogue chains usually just results in nothing. But I'm curious to see if down the line these things have an effect. For example, one person is a smuggler, whom I now owe a favor. Is that gonna get called in later?

They've outlined the next 90 days, which seems kinda sparse on content they'll be adding until May...but they also have a nebulous "Act 2" and "Act 3" listed, and if they actually have interesting content then that'll be pretty cool. The "cliffhanger" at the end of the game actually has me pretty interested, so we'll see...

Overall I still really like the combat, but I'm at the phase of the game where all there is to do is missions and strongholds over and over and make the numbers go up. This is when we put on the big boi pantz and grind like crazy
Old 02-26-2019, 12:20 PM

My brother is enjoying the game quite a lot, and has hope that they can get more compelling content in the future. I just hope it survives the initial negative onslaught, or it won't just be Anthem that crashes and burns, but likely BioWare as a whole. And that makes me very sad.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:31 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
Unfortunately for Bioware, EA seems to have had that accidentally fall into their lap with Apex Legends.
Not having to pay $60 to get in the front door certainly works in Apex Legends' favor. As well as being a pretty solid Battle Royale game right at launch.

Of course, a F2P game that literally popped up out of nowhere doing far better than a AAA co-op multiplayer title that was hyped for years does not bode well for BioWare.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:46 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
My brother is enjoying the game quite a lot, and has hope that they can get more compelling content in the future. I just hope it survives the initial negative onslaught, or it won't just be Anthem that crashes and burns, but likely BioWare as a whole. And that makes me very sad.
This is true, but honestly, this BioWare is kinda BioWare in name only? So...maybe it'd be a mercy killing?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
This is true, but honestly, this BioWare is kinda BioWare in name only? So...maybe it'd be a mercy killing?
Sure sounds that way from the USGamer article. Lots of the bigger names aren't there anymore. I do wonder how many of the less-visible folks are still there, though.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Loves to overthink.

Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Yeah, I figured Anthem showed the Bioware I wanted was dead, but this is even heavier than I expected. I was hoping it'd at least be a loot shooter with a better-than-average story, but I guess it's not even that! Like, why did Bioware make this again?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:31 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusis View Post
Like, why did Bioware make this again?
Probably for the same reasons why the last three BioWare games had multiplayer modes: E.A. loves that GAS money and wants to get it with as many AAA games as it can.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:05 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I just played a Grandmaster 2 Stronghold

The boss ALONE took an hour

Yeah...I might be done. This game is fun, but the lower difficulties aren't challenging and the higher difficulties are tedious...

Oh, and I got LESS rewards that were on average LOWER rarity than when I ran a GM1 Stronghold earlier. (which takes like 30 minutes) Yup...