The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-11-2019, 06:36 PM
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
Are you gonna do anything in this thread except complain about a videogame which you can stop playing at any time?
Yes, actually! I have been really enjoying exploring more of the Fountainhead Palace. Itís much larger than I had anticipated, and I still havenít gotten inside. I am also very glad I always read the item descriptions, which clued me in that using the Sabimaru prosthetic tool on the Okami warriors makes them much easier. Their lightning infused hacks sacks are no joke!

Earlier, I had been poking around in the Sunken Valley looking for prayer beads when I found the cave where one of the snakes was hiding. I sort of cheesed passed the snake without controlling the nearby monkey with ninjutsu, and picked up the Decayed Serpent Viscera. I had no clue what to do with it, so I looked online and read that it was one of two very important items for later on, with a link to how to find the other one. The Blackhat assassin who hints at the solution to reach the secret area is close to the other assassin controlling the big kite, yet I still donít know If I would have thought to use puppet spell, since I forgot all about it. The blood smokescreen is so useful I never changed it.

That was quite positive, Iíd say.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:29 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Giant Centipede killed me twice as much as Lady Butterfly did...
Old 04-12-2019, 06:50 PM
Cool Guy

I got to the final battle of the game, and I have questions. Genichiro shows back up and he just has a second Mortal Blade. One life bar later, Gen sort of cuts his own head off and younger Isshin Ashina, the recently deceased guy from the beginning cutscene who spends the entire game in his room getting drunk, Hellraisers out of his body and is evil and Wolf must kill him for reasons I donít understand. Werenít we working for him to protect Kuro?
Did I miss something?
Old 04-12-2019, 07:31 PM
The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I got to the final battle of the game, and I have questions. Genichiro shows back up and he just has a second Mortal Blade. One life bar later, Gen sort of cuts his own head off and younger Isshin Ashina, the recently deceased guy from the beginning cutscene who spends the entire game in his room getting drunk, Hellraisers out of his body and is evil and Wolf must kill him for reasons I donít understand. Werenít we working for him to protect Kuro?
Did I miss something?
You missed a lore bit about the second Mortal Blade, which can open a gate to the underworld through a sacrifice of immortal blood. Genichiro is upset that he isn't strong enough to save Ashina and sacrifices himself to revive Isshin in his prime. Isshin fights you to honor his grandson's last wish and also because he just fucking loves fighting.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Boom

It's not entirely clear. The black Mortal Blade is capable of opening gates to the underworld. Since Isshin had recently died, he was brought forth when Genichiro did the thing. IIRC, the battle memory that you get for the fight mentions that those summoned in this way are pulled out of hell in their prime. Genichiro summoned him because he didn't think he was strong enough to save Ashina, but maybe badass grandpa Ashina was.

As for why he's evil? I don't think he is, really. I'm not sure he's interested in stopping Wolf so much as he doesn't really care whether immortality is severed or not. He was always obsessed with battle. He mentions in a few places in the game that he is impressed by Wolf and that he would love to duel him. Now he has a chance to do so, in his prime, even. And to go out with a bang. Genichiro basically assured that the Ashina clan is done for either way.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:46 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Did I miss something?
To expand a bit on what the others have said, the item that gives the lore on this can be found outside of Isshin's room in a chest.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Cool Guy

Thanks for clearing it up, folks. Iím glad to know I didnít miss a secret area or something.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:38 PM
We just don't know.

Since I got the Mibu Breathing Technique, I realized I hadn't gone around and checked all of the diveable bodies of water yet. So I spent some time last night doing that, and found 2 prayer beads, a bunch of treasure carp, a guy who buys stuff for carp scales (which I had just enough of after clearing his area of them to buy everything he had), and a bunch of money lying around. All a good way to put off going to the next area.

I did the Kite thing in Senpou Temple and killed the big snake, which was great. Now I have a dried and a fresh serpent heart, so, neat to have a matching set I guess.

I killed the Shichimen Warrior in the abandoned dungeon and the Headless underwater, and neither of them gave me a prayer bead, which I am very salty over. There's another Shichimen where the headless Ape used to be, which my first attempt at didn't quite make happen (I didn't use confetti). I will say though that the umbrella that blocks terror attacks makes that fight very easy - that's basically how I beat the first one. I was like "oh, I got this" and confetti'd up and he just melted away. I wonder if the second is much different and I just needed to confetti. I also have Headless x2 to fight, one in the forest and one in that hole. I've only attempted the hole one, and it has gone very poorly so far, and I'm salty at it and don't wanna fight it anymore. I'm also not super pumped that the confetti item you need is so limited (and even when you can buy them later, I'm told, still relatively expensive.

Anyway, short of fighting one of the above for another bead, or some other miniboss I've overlooked, I'm off to the Wedding cave again to see what lies beyond.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Outraged!

I spent an hour beating my head against pissed off flame beast sculptor got his first bit down pretty well but I can tell this is going to take a minute.

Also looked up what those serpent hearts are for and realized just how much I missed out on, looking forward to another pass at the game.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:09 PM
Cool Guy

I donít think beating the last boss is going to happen. I have managed to get to the very end of Sekiro without learning to reliably parry, and this boss is nothing but parrying and countering. My brain is hardwired to want to dodge attacks after so many Souls games. I wish that option was more viable in this game.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:04 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

You can beat the last boss without being a decent parrier, they have a lot of baitable attacks, and if you use the double ichimoji skill you can build up posture damage pretty good.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Cool Guy

I suppose I can wait for a thrust attack, since the Mikkiri Counter timing is very forgiving, but I always mix up thrust, sweep and grab attacks. Is the flashing Kanji different?
Old 04-14-2019, 05:29 PM
Evocative

I don't think I scored a single hit on the second form of Guardian Ape. This battle is going to take a while, isn't it?

I may take a break and just explore the Hidden Forest instead, as I've discovered it but haven't actually done anything there yet.

Or perhaps I'll go and fight the one Headless I've found? So many ways I can make poor Wolf suffer.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:08 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by keele864 View Post
I don't think I scored a single hit on the second form of Guardian Ape. This battle is going to take a while, isn't it?
That one's all about learning the timings of its swings and parrying. That form leaves a lot of openings so it pays to be more aggressive than the first form
Old 04-14-2019, 07:07 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
That one's all about learning the timings of its swings and parrying. That form leaves a lot of openings so it pays to be more aggressive than the first form
Also, make sure you keep your eyes open for when he starts to re-attach his head so that you can get the hell out of dodge.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:25 PM
hang high, soft star

You can just assume the roar is going to happen if you spend more than half a second in melee range, I spent like 20 minutes on the second phase doing one, maybe two hits, before running the fuck away. It's kiiiiiind of ridiculous.

I also didn't parry a single god damn attack in that fight, fwiw.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:00 PM
The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephine View Post
I spent like 20 minutes on the second phase

I also didn't parry a single god damn attack in that fight
these are probably related

Deflecting the big delayed overhead knocks him down and leaves him completely open, and his most basic combo always leads into the easily punishable overhead if you deflect a certain hit in it.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:00 PM
23 ski-dook

Done! Video game good.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Cool Guy

Ashinaís second form halts any progress I make. The reach on his spear is nuts, and I can not build posture on him for the life of me. And he has a gun!?

I miss having other weapons. Katanas are actually boring as hell despite everything popular culture tells me.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:40 PM
23 ski-dook

Try to goad him into mikiri counters. Usually he does a thrust attack after he fires a barrage of bullets!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 PM
Chief Servbot

Use the rock to avoid the bullets or just run. His Ashina Cross attack still leaves him vulnerable.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 PM
23 ski-dook

The usefulness of sprinting cannot be overstated. I went back to play a little Bloodborne today and was surprised to remember you can't just sprint all over while locked on to an enemy.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:08 PM
Cool Guy

I am slowly getting better, but I feel ashamed that this is so hard for me when everyone else on the thread could do it without seemingly too much trouble. It doesnít help that when I look elsewhere online for Sekiro info I mostly see ďgit gudĒ or ďthis disabled person could beat the game, so anybody canĒ. I wonder if segments of the From Software fan base is this toxic in Japan?
Old 04-16-2019, 06:35 PM
Boom

It's definitely not an easy fight. I had to sleep on it before I was able to beat it.

What helped me is learning how he reacts to how you react (this is true of almost every enemy in the game, actually). The first Isshin phase in particular is really predictable; blocking/deflecting certain moves will lead to guaranteed mikiri or jump counter opportunities, for example. For the second phase, you might consider taking advantage of Mist Raven to get out of some of his longer combos. It costs 2 spirit emblems and can lead to free damage.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:21 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
I am slowly getting better, but I feel ashamed that this is so hard for me when everyone else on the thread could do it without seemingly too much trouble. It doesnít help that when I look elsewhere online for Sekiro info I mostly see ďgit gudĒ or ďthis disabled person could beat the game, so anybody canĒ. I wonder if segments of the From Software fan base is this toxic in Japan?
I mean its a tough nut to crack for sure -- it took me many tries to get it right. But it's definitely a fight that's doable once you start getting your strategies down.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:21 PM
We just don't know.

I feel like a ways back the game clicked for me and it went to about the same difficulty as, if not slightly easier than, Dark Souls. But that's still, like, pretty hard. I got to the first phase of that guy (second phase of the encounter) and I got eaten for breakfast so hard that I was like "I'm not even gonna touch this one any more tonight." My friend said it took him like a week of attempts to beat. I'm not excited about this
Old 04-17-2019, 12:09 AM

So, what's the secret with Jinsuke Saze. I finished the fight, but it may have taken me more attempts than anyone else (definitely less time, since some of those attempts lasted, oh, 10 seconds). It felt like I couldn't time my deflect to prevent damage regardless of when I hit it, and I swear I was till getting hit even when I saw the deflection flash. The winning attempt was mostly just spamming deflect and praying.

It's mainly frustrating because so far, the rest of the game I've been able to see progress between almost any attempt on the enemies, or at least the ability to tease out the patterns of the various attacks. I didn't really feel like I learned much on this guy, and I can't try him again, so I'm curious if I was missing something.

The boss after him was definitely a fun fight, even if I never managed to deflect lightning. I'm sure it can be done given the poster on the wall, but, while I never got hit by it when I jumped, the followup never worked out for me.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:42 AM

I think the first guy you mentioned does damage even on deflect. I was struggling on him for a bit, but when i came back with the tier two umbrella, deflecting wildly, he staggered basically instantly. So i guess thatís the trick? Iím on the second guy in your post now, and he definitely seems doable, but Iím having trouble staying in The Zone with him. The lightning is definitely tricky to deflect!
Old 04-17-2019, 07:34 AM
hang high, soft star

Just uh, don't forget what the scroll says, you'll need it later.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:59 AM
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banach View Post
So, what's the secret with Jinsuke Saze. I finished the fight, but it may have taken me more attempts than anyone else (definitely less time, since some of those attempts lasted, oh, 10 seconds). It felt like I couldn't time my deflect to prevent damage regardless of when I hit it, and I swear I was till getting hit even when I saw the deflection flash. The winning attempt was mostly just spamming deflect and praying.
He's quick and deadly, but has very little posture and vitality himself. If you can get the timing down, you can deathblow him after just over two Ashina Cross deflections, as I recall. You can also sidestep (I think to the left?) his attack if you time it right. Mist Raven is great against him, too.

Tags
cyborg skele-arm , from software , fromsoft , nioh is still cool , rip nioh , shadows die a lot , shadows die twice , souls , you died