The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-13-2018, 12:21 PM

Deptford, you're a posting superstar. Loved reading that, thanks. I'd never heard the gripe against "Dad Games" before, but that was a really great writeup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Dad game, schmad game. The game has a "grapple arm". From Software can give it all the fake gravitas they want. Bless 'em.

SHINOBI. GRAPPLE. ARM.
four-so knows what's up. We're finally seeing the patented FromSoft verticality in level design with the ability to freely traverse those levels with a fully-three-dimensional moveset. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Also, based on that US Gamer interview with Miyazaki, they've abandoned all the tedious RPG stuff and are just focusing purely on the single weapon + tools, very much like a classic Zelda, which is A VERY EXCITING THING FOR ME, PERSONALLY
Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 PM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
Also, based on that US Gamer interview with Miyazaki, they've abandoned all the tedious RPG stuff and are just focusing purely on the single weapon + tools, very much like a classic Zelda, which is A VERY EXCITING THING FOR ME, PERSONALLY
This.

From Software is making a 3-D classic Zelda game where Link is a badass undead samurai with a transforming Bionic Commando arm?

PUT THIS IN MY EYEBALLS.

(Not that discussions about narrative content are unimportant. There's just more than one way to engage with something.)
Old 06-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
There's just more than one way to engage with something.
No one was saying otherwise.

Although I'm sure a lot of people will be resistant to the claim, From's games are pretty standard in how they present gender, in terms of what roles are offered to its male and female characters, and so I don't have much reason to believe that if Sekiro exclusively focuses on a man for its story it won't continue this trend. Bloodborne really only works as well as it does because its reality is being torn apart by patriarchal structures in a way that implicates sexism way, way more than anything in Souls, and the option to interact with that on even the slimmest level as a woman can shift your point of view. Kinda doubt that'll be present in a fantastical version of 14th/15th century Japan.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:51 PM
Loves to overthink.

Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
Deptford, you're a posting superstar. Loved reading that, thanks. I'd never heard the gripe against "Dad Games" before, but that was a really great writeup.

four-so knows what's up. We're finally seeing the patented FromSoft verticality in level design with the ability to freely traverse those levels with a fully-three-dimensional moveset. THIS IS IMPORTANT.

If they fully embrace the Zelda side I'd be very, VERY excited for this rather than just thinking "I bet this will be rad and I'll want to play it."

And I'd definitely prefer being able to make a female character, but I'll deal. Especially when they're doing something wildly different that's still kind of based on similar gameplay.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him
Default New Footage

Also release date is March 22, 2019
Old 08-23-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post

Also release date is March 22, 2019
HHNNNNGGG
Old 08-26-2018, 01:02 AM
Not Constantinople

Epic Name Bro also got some hands-on experience with it, too, and he's had a fairly strong relationship with From for a few years now, and he's got quite a bit to share.

Definitely has that Souls DNA.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:58 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

But it's also not just a Souls game which is good.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:58 AM
Chief Servbot

Default TGS Trailer

Old 01-17-2019, 05:03 PM
Chief Servbot

Lots of preview info coming out from Game Informer this month

Old 03-12-2019, 07:58 AM
Chief Servbot

Default Launch Trailer

Old 03-13-2019, 09:44 AM
Chief Servbot

Default Combat overview

The fact that From decided to make Parrying: the Game will probably prove to be... controversial
Old 03-13-2019, 09:59 AM
Boom

Without having watched the video... if the timing is as easy as early Souls parrying, that's fine. When the parries stopped being active on the first frame, I stopped being able to do them consistently.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Chief Servbot

It's probably going to be relatively generous, considering the ideal approach to combat is to parry every one of your enemies attacks. The reward for each individual parry is much less, doing posture damage rather than an automatic counterattack.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:42 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I hate parrying, and I prefer the slower combat & character building of the Souls games to Bloodborne’s quick combat and streamlined characters. I might check it out down the road, but Sekiro really doesn’t look very appealing to me.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

It's a pretty different game! Still looks fun to me, though.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:28 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Yeah, I appreciate that Bloodborne hit the spot for a lot of people, so I hope that this finds its audience too. It just looks farther away from the stuff that I really love about Dark/Demon's Souls.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:32 AM
World of Darkness Returns

This looks like it fixes the mobility problems I've had with...literally every From Soft game since the PS3, so I'm considering actually playing it.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:53 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post

The fact that From decided to make Parrying: the Game will probably prove to be... controversial
I mean, Bloodborne is Dodge: The Game, so whatever. I hate parrying but I'm still gonna play this game like 3 times and invade all of you
Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

It's cool they've made Tenchu Souls, but I'm waiting, From Software. You know for what.

(it's souls but with armored cores. that's what i'm waiting for.)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:08 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Day One ThoughtZ™:

- This game is sick, it's a weird mix of Tenchu and Souls but it's sick

- Some of the animations are reused, but whatever. The dogs are the same as Bloodborne dogs, and the giant roosters (!!!!) use the crows' attacks from Bloodborne. Also I ran into a weird little gremlin guy, and a big ogre/oni kinda thing, so I'm hoping there's more Japanese folklore stuff as the game goes on.

- As someone who famously has a distate for parries in From Software games, the timing on this game's parries is pretty generous. You can't just spam it and hope it'll work, but it feels more lenient than Souls' parry window by a fair amount. I don't know how true that is, but it feels that way, at least

- HOLY HELL this game is hard. You can't play it like a Souls game. You can't just be aggressive and swing into groups of guys. I'm actually playing it more like a stealth game because the game gives you lots of tools for that, and combat is brutal and crazy. Chump enemies will easily take off 50% of your life if you don't play by the game's rules.

- If you're stuck on the first boss, you can jump attack him for him a free deathblow so he'll only have one health bar instead of two.

- Also, they don't tell you this unless if you go to the training guy, but jumping again in mid-air over a sweep attack does a ton of poise damage. So if you're getting beat up by someone who's sweeping, double jump their ass

- Seriously though, I think this is the hardest game they've made. Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Demon's Souls...nothing comes even close to how brutal this game is. I'm impressed
Old 03-22-2019, 01:37 AM
Chief Servbot

I found the first boss easier than any of the minibosses so far. Also the atmosphere is great
Old 03-22-2019, 08:06 AM
Cool Guy

I was wary about Sekiro after a bit of burnout on the Souls games, then I watched the Giant Bomb Quick Look and saw how much Tenchu DNA was in there I was all in. I still might poke around in Resident Evil 2 for a bit, but I am anxious to play this.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:47 PM

The ability to cancel the start up of your regular attack/stab into a block is bar none the smartest decision in the game. That choice is single handedly what allows for the brutal as fuck, close up combat that feels a lot more like real sword fighting than any game I've played. The cancellable frames give you a sensitivity in decision making like no other. I think this, and the clarity of enemy animations is what makes it easier to parry in this game compared to Souls.

Taking on huge mobs in one go is so satisfying. The dash attack you can add to the Shuriken is the best utility weapon I found so far.

Also, I spent about 2 hours on Lady Butterfly before beating her and realizing she was supposed to be the second boss. Doing that with no attack boost and the starting HP was incredibly fuckin' hard and incredibly rewarding.

Amazing, amazing game. If you like video games play this game.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:22 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

There's an item that turns your shurikens into...like, phantom shurikens or something. But it's 3000 sen, which is way more than what I have right now.

BUT I WANT IT SO BAD AHHHH

I keep wanting to save up for the one that gives you health when you land a deathblow, but it costs 5 skills and there's so many skills I want...

This game is weird in that it's less of an RPG than any Soulsborne game by a mile, but it's the only one with skill trees and there's like 5 of them
Old 03-22-2019, 05:24 PM
Chief Servbot

The Armored Warrior miniboss might be my favorite Soulsetc. boss yet. Love me a good gimmick fight.

Also once you get to the castle the world design opens up like a blooming onion. I have no idea what the critical path is right now and I am loving it. I've been playing for like 12 hours and only beat one full-fat boss so far. What a game!
Old 03-23-2019, 06:12 AM

Anyone know what to do at the top of Senpou mountain?
Old 03-23-2019, 09:27 AM

So it turns out I did everything in a fucked order. I beat Lady Butterfly first, as mentioned, and then later on failed to beat Ashina Castle. Rather than do that I did all that I could of:

Mt. Kongo/Senpou Temple
Sunken Valley/Gun Fort
Ashina Mines/All the Mibu village area which name I have forgotten. Eventually tho I reached a boss which I could not do

Which basically means I've been drastically underpowered. I really should've known more shit was in Ashina Castle considering that's, uh, where my character is supposed to be going.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:06 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Lady Butterfly is some shit. Dear Lord.

There's another way I can go, but I wanted to beat her first but...urgh...I'll come back. I spent over an hour last night and I can get through her first phase well enough but the second is rough.

Also, I HIGHLY recommend getting the skill that gives you health when you get a deathblow. It makes conserving health items MUCH MUCH MUCHHHH easier

This game is rad
Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Oh also there's a random enemy wearing a purple cloak who's in the Hinata Estate who's at least as hard as any midboss or boss I've fought yet. This game is insane

Tags
cyborg skele-arm , from software , fromsoft , nioh is still cool , rip nioh , shadows die a lot , shadows die twice , souls , you died