The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

You can't carry a PS3 around with you. Besides, it's also on the PS4. That's one more whole platform than usual for a Diggyman release.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:51 PM
just ignore my posts

I forgot a few words in the last post due to my impotent rage.

I guess it just doesn't make any sense it'd get a PS4 port and not a PS3 port as well/instead.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:04 PM

Palmon is for those gen 1 folks who love the anime and love lilymon I suppose. Terriermon is what I'm using to farm basic stuff while I go through chapters with the aoe. Gatomon also has from what I understand a solid always 150 damage attack, which I feel will be valuable if there's ever a armored monster that does reduction or something.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:06 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Orbit View Post
I forgot a few words in the last post due to my impotent rage.

I guess it just doesn't make any sense it'd get a PS4 port and not a PS3 port as well/instead.
Well by your very own argument that a PS3 is better than a Vita, so too is a PS4 better than a PS3.

Also the non-snarky answer is that it makes more sense to put it on the current platform that has sold rather well rather than the older sunset one *especially* given that the PS4 is not backwards compatible.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:07 PM

I was on the fence trying to decide whether or not to buy this, but the passionate ramblings of LancerECNM have swayed my heart and wallet. Right now I'm downloading it to my Vita for portable digimons after I finish SSD.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Holy shit, guys. I just completed a case in Chapter 8 that tackles real dolls, transhumanism, and human trafficking. This game gets really dark sometimes, apparently? Like, they throw some comic relief in there, but this case in particular ends on this really sobering note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
Palmon is for those gen 1 folks who love the anime and love lilymon I suppose. Terriermon is what I'm using to farm basic stuff while I go through chapters with the aoe. Gatomon also has from what I understand a solid always 150 damage attack, which I feel will be valuable if there's ever a armored monster that does reduction or something.
Oh, Gatomon gets a defense-ignoring signature move? Cool! It definitely DOES come up, and I just happened to have Stingmon on hand, which also has a defense-ignoring move.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 PM

For those with both there is a cross save feature too!
Old 02-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Yeah, Gatomon saved my butt against a particular boss.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
the non-snarky answer is that it makes more sense to put it on the current platform that has sold rather well rather than the older sunset one *especially* given that the PS4 is not backwards compatible.
The more likely answer is that the game was released only for the PlayStation Vita in Japan and the console adaptation was made exclusively for international markets, where the PS4 is much more successful.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

I also imagine there's a healthy amount of corporate "The PS4's been out for over two years now. Why should we release for the PS3, when it's been so obsoleted by now?"
Old 02-06-2016, 10:34 AM

I'm upset that you can get Monzaemon, but not warumonzaemon. I'm starting to think I'll never see him in a game.

Edit: He was in one of the digimon games, but seriously he's got such a great design.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:51 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
I also imagine there's a healthy amount of corporate "The PS4's been out for over two years now. Why should we release for the PS3, when it's been so obsoleted by now?"
Well that too, but the Japanese market still hasn't flocked to the new consoles on anywhere near as big a scale as the other markets. We're still seeing a number of PS3 exclusives and PS4 games that also have PS3 versions, even if said PS3 versions don't necessarily end up localized.

Hell, Dragon Quest XI was announced in both PS4 and 3DS flavors.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
The more likely answer is that the game was released only for the PlayStation Vita in Japan and the console adaptation was made exclusively for international markets, where the PS4 is much more successful.
You are correct.
Quote:
This time, we announced the PlayStation 4 physical version because we think PlayStation 4 has a lot of players in North America and Europe, so that’s why we added it as one of the platforms. And we knew we had a lot of fans here in the global market because of the petition for the game’s localization. The petition gave us a lot of strength and confidence that we can still bring Digimon to a lot of fans here in North America. So if we continue to listen to the voices of our fans, we can probably get into all kinds of platforms.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:08 PM

Leaving your game on overnight because you fell asleep playing and having max leveled mons in the farm feels like cheating. I have way overleveled mons now.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Picked it up on the Vita, enjoying it so far.

Though for a franchise that generally aims at the Very Small Child demographic it sure as hell is pushing the boundaries of a T rating...

Does it have the same artist as the Devil Survivor games? They share the same sort of ridiculous clothes and baffling posture.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Though for a franchise that generally aims at the Very Small Child demographic it sure as hell is pushing the boundaries of a T rating...
It's definitely not aimed at kids. If I had to guess, I'd say the next Digimon World game will be the kiddie one.

I was a bit horrified when the Facebook virus murdered a Digimon and burrowed into its brain in Chapter 4.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
This was made with adult fans in mind, and uh... it shows. It goes some dark places. Very briefly! But it goes there!

Just wait until Chapter 10 when Not!Google hosts a preview event exclusively to feed all the people that attend to Eaters.

There's also the implications in Chapter 7 of most of Tokyo's underground turning into a Shin Megami Tensei dungeon semi-permanently.

And again, in Chapter 8 when dudes start scanning women in a photo booth to 3D print real dolls of them. THEN, it gets better, they use them to promote their "Pefect Girl" project which encourages customers to log into Eden and never log out so they can take the bodies of said customers and sell them overseas for fresh, living parts.

And that's just like side-quest-y stuff. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the endgame, and the plot has gone absolutely insane for Digimon. In fact, I'm not entirely sure that the dev team wasn't just looking for an excuse to make a Shin Megami Tensei game sometimes.

I... uh... I might need more things to do in my spare time.

i really hope we get the next digimon world game
i understand you get to have two partners
but in the virtual pet style

Last edited by LancerECNM; 02-06-2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Perpetually ruffled.

I haven't played a Digimon game since Digimon World 2 and Digimon: Card Battle! I think Digimon x Shin Megami Tensei is the perfect excuse to get back into the franchise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
There is a part in there where the narrator/adult character said "...you have found a way to surpass mega level!" 10 year old me would have gone absolutely, mind-blowningly insane at that.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:30 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

I mean, to be fair, Digimon have been digivolving past Mega since the Digimon movie. We, well, the third one, technically. I'm not even sure Omnimon was the first time it happened. Power creep has made it annoyingly casual. It's pretty much the reason I hate Mega Evolutions in Pokemon — Blast Digivolution, DNA Digivolution, DigiFuze — It's very Digimon to have digivolutions that poop all over the rules.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Perpetually ruffled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I mean, to be fair, Digimon have been digivolving past Mega since the Digimon movie. We, well, the third one, technically. I'm not even sure Omnimon was the first time it happened. Power creep has made it annoyingly casual. It's pretty much the reason I hate Mega Evolutions in Pokemon — Blast Digivolution, DNA Digivolution, DigiFuze — It's very Digimon to have digivolutions that poop all over the rules.
That's interesting! My old view was that Omnimon was powerful, but still fell within the realm of "Mega", and those various side digivolutions exist alongside the normal tree but could still fit within the realms of Rookie, Champion, Ultimate, Mega. I have never watched beyond Season 3 of Digimon, however, so maybe they explained all of this in later seasons? Or maybe I'm just forgetting because it's been so long.

I'm going to find a Digimon Wiki and read up about this tonight!
Old 02-06-2016, 07:49 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrich View Post
That's interesting! My old view was that Omnimon was powerful, but still fell within the realm of "Mega", and those various side digivolutions exist alongside the normal tree but could still fit within the realms of Rookie, Champion, Ultimate, Mega. I have never watched beyond Season 3 of Digimon, however, so maybe they explained all of this in later seasons? Or maybe I'm just forgetting because it's been so long.

I'm going to find a Digimon Wiki and read up about this tonight!
Technically, Omnimon is a Mega, but he's from a subset of Digimon that require you to already be a Mega to digivolve to. You know, just sitting there, pooping all over the rules. There's no technical name for them, so you can't even refer to them as a group.

It's so silly that there's a strategy involving Omnimon to extend your lifespan significantly in Digimon World Re: Digitize by digivolving into a Mega Digimon no less than three times in a row*. In the physical virtual pets, Digimon like Omnimon require that you reach Mega with no care mistakes, and have a 80% win rate with at least one hundred battles fought. They serve the same kind of cap stone role that Mewtwo does for Pokemon Red and Blue.

*Digivolve to WarGreymon/MetalGarurumon, set your DigiMemory to MetalGarurumon/WarGreymon respectively to digivolve to Omnimon, eat a one-of-a-kind item to digivolve to Examon, taking your life expectancy from 12 days to 22 days.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:35 AM

Quote:

And that's just like side-quest-y stuff. I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the endgame, and the plot has gone absolutely insane for Digimon. In fact, I'm not entirely sure that the dev team wasn't just looking for an excuse to make a Shin Megami Tensei game sometimes.

I... uh... I might need more things to do in my spare time.

i really hope we get the next digimon world game
i understand you get to have two partners
but in the virtual pet style
I'm pretty sure, but if you're only at chapter 8.. You about about 12 more to go.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:40 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

I'm farther than Chapter 8, I just didn't want to talk about how crazy it gets after that. I've reached what is very definitely a turning point in the plot. You know, when what's happening is revealed to you.

I understand that I can't get Omnimon until chapter 19. And this is very upsetting to me. On the other hand, I kicked some stuff out of my party because of it, and now I'm mainly running with my Palidramon, MetalGreymon, SuperStarmon, MegaSeadramon*, MegaKabuterimon*, and MetalMamemon. It's much more representative of my tastes in Diggymans than my protagonist 'mon choked party before.

*Neither of these are Mega level Digimon. DIGGYMAAAAAAANS!!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:13 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
I'm mainly running with my Palidramon, MetalGreymon, SuperStarmon, MegaSeadramon*, MegaKabuterimon*, and MetalMamemon. It's much more representative of my tastes in Diggymans than my protagonist 'mon choked party before.

*Neither of these are Mega level Digimon. DIGGYMAAAAAAANS!!
You liar! Only one of those is a metalgreymen! Where are the other five?!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:00 AM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Does it have the same artist as the Devil Survivor games? They share the same sort of ridiculous clothes and baffling posture.
Indeed it does. Suzuhito Yasuda. They really took a lot of cues from SMT and its spinoffs, huh?
Old 02-07-2016, 02:36 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
You liar! Only one of those is a metalgreymen! Where are the other five?!
all jokes aside

i uh

i totally do have a second metalgreymon, a rizegreymon, and a metalgreymon (BLK) in my farms.

I really wish there was a whole ToyAgumon/Greymon line.

Has anyone else every noticed that Machinedramon is totally just a "finished" MetalGreymon? They even have the same extendo claw to attack with.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:28 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Roughly how difficult is it to make a Venomyotismon? And, perhaps more importantly, is he a viable monster up through the end game?

One of the things I much prefer about Pokemon over its competitors is that just about any monster, if not ideal, is at least viable as an option. In other Monster Raising games once something is outclassed, there is virtually no way whatsoever to make them useful again.

And I can not imagine not using a Dracula who is also Godzilla.

It's like Bandai said "This is the best we've got" right at the start of the franchise.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Also has anyone stepped into the online digimon arena? I'm scared to go in and fight some really suped up mons that are min maxed already.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I imagine the boundless digivolution possibilities result in an unbalanced metagame of pure hell. Though maybe there are limiters in place?
Old 02-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

I'm nearly forty hours in and had to use a healing ability for the first time yesterday.

I think you can stumble through this game with nothing but Rookies, honestly. You just need a varied group of Vaccines, Datas, and Viruses. If you've got a neutral Digimon available, use it, it is an unkillable god.

As for digivolutions limiters, let me put it this way: getting every healing ability takes 18 digivolutions starting from Terriermon. 20 if you have to make a Terriermon happen.

Tags
diggymans , digimon , digimon devil story , greymon , men in grey , pokemon with prestiging , this hole is made for me