The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

I actually think Savers/Data Squad might be my favourite of the shows (I have a lot of nostalgia for Adventure 01/02, though, and need to go back and rewatch them), because it takes the "bancho" character concept and applies it in really goofy ways; the main character basically steals power from Digimons by punching them right in the face, and he can use that to charge up the evolutions.

So while most monster-ally shows are about the MCs cheering on their partners, Masaru dives into the thick of things himself and mixes it up with digimon way larger then he is. Also he's appropriately thick headed, hence his desire to fist-fight an oil tanker that's on a collision course with the city.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:41 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
he main character basically steals power from Digimons by punching them right in the face, and he can use that to charge up the evolutions.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:50 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I love that you essentially catch Digimon by torrenting them.
Having capture be an automatic counter means that you have a bunch of them whether you want them or not, which helps emphasize how the game wants you to use a bunch of them. I've got a Dorumon in my party, which means I have access to Function Call Lv. 2 which is straight up a random-battle-on-demand button.

I'm not very far into the game because I keep going back to the Digilab to mess around with my party layout and Digifarm.

... I need a Veemon. I've got Stingmon, but Imma need an ExVeemon, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Digimon is batshit. There was one season in which the protagonists themselves Digivolved. Like, they didn't have Digimon partners at all. They were just power rangers in the Digital World.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:08 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

For how badass he is, there's a shocking lack of videos that have both him punching AND evolving. A bunch of each separately, but almost nothing combined.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:50 PM
earthquake ace

alright i need to watch this

what did you guys say it was called, digimon data squad? this will be an adventure, i know it.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
alright i need to watch this

what did you guys say it was called, digimon data squad? this will be an adventure, i know it.
Yep, Data Squad, DATS, or Savers, depending on who/where you ask.

I am having a serious issue in Cyber Sleuth: Every time I go to the DigiLab I spend like thirty minutes debating on who to bring with me. At the moment, my Stingmon and my ExVeemon are mandatory because they both need 100% Camaraderie to DNA Digivolve or whatever, but I've got another party slot, and like 12 Digimon I want to fill that slot.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 PM
earthquake ace

bring MegaAngelGreyDracoMon.

how close was i to an actual digimon
Old 02-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:

let me put it this way

i am aware of twelve different Greymon species

also, Megadramon is definitely a Digimon, and that's pretty close, IMO. So's MagnaAngemon.

I ended up bringing Dorugamon, the Champion stage of the most obscure and fuzziest goggles partner. He can Digivolve into DoruGre-

Correction: I am aware of fourteen different Greymon species.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT I looked it up: there are no less than THIRTY-FUCKING-FIVE GREYMON SPECIES
Old 02-02-2016, 08:52 PM

For a second I misread that as you bringing along Doraemon, that sounded way cooler.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:00 PM
earthquake ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
EDIT: HOLY SHIT I looked it up: there are no less than THIRTY-FUCKING-FIVE GREYMON SPECIES
well, you can't say digimon is

black and white

Old 02-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
well, you can't say digimon is

black and white

BlackWarGreymon disagrees.

EDIT: Oh, hey. Digivolution trees are not isolated in this game like they are in DW: DS. So you can gradually shift your Digimon to any other tree by Digivolving and then DeDigivolving to a different lower form. Since you always know a skill once you've learned it, I'd imagine most of the high-level play focuses on this factor.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 02-03-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:53 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I don't think any of them are actually grey, either.

I played and enjoyed the two DS games, to an extent. I liked the first one but the difficulty spikes so sharply at the final boss that I was never able to beat it. And the second was a lot better in every regard but it had one of the most insanely high random encounter rate I've ever seen. It also locked entire monster types behind which version you had so it was not possible to recruit even half the monsters I actually wanted without a second copy.

If this one is like a Less Tragic version of those I might just be interested.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:42 AM

Early depictions of greymon were this bluish grey dinosaur before the anime.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Well what the heck happened?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Indecisive Epicure

Quote:

My favorite Digimon name I've learned is HerculesKabuterimon X. It's just a delight to say! Though I do tend to aggravate my sister by elongating it to MetalWarGreyHerculesKabuterimon X Virus Omega 2.0 Jet Adavanced Final Redux Overclocked #reload Hyper Fighting Edition DNA Digiversion Plus... *trails into infinity*
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

HerculesKabuterimon is pretty badass. He's tied with the original virus version of MetalGreymon and Stingmon as my favorite Digimon. I'm not a big fan of the X-Antibody version of anything, though.

By the way, the greyer Greymon are still around. They're just the virus type versions that lead to BlackWarGreymon. Presumably they wanted the leader of the anime to have a cool dinosaur, but didn't want him to have a virus type that looked as evil as Devimon and Myotismon, so they changed MetalGreymon's color scheme. Lots of Digimon have alternate color versions, sometimes with slightly different names such as Gururumon instead of Garurumon. It's like having canon flea market knock-offs. You see 'em all over Digimon World and Re: Digitize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
If this one is like a Less Tragic version of those I might just be interested.
This game is a lot like Digimon World DS had a baby with Persona 4, and they had Final Fantasy X's turn order system babysit. It's not perfect — I'd love to be able to Digivolve/DeDigivolve my team in the field and/or manage my farm in the field, but that's only a big deal early on when you have truckloads of In-Training I & II hitting max level in the farm every couple minutes.

PSA: I'm not sure how actually selecting Training for a farm island affects it, but your Farm Digimon are ALWAYS gaining EXP no matter what you tell them to do. So feel free to have them make new items (I think it adds to the shop's availability!) or have them look for sidequests.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 02-03-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:38 PM

Finally picked my preorder and got some sort of dlc which apparently unlocks Black Agumon, Black Greymon, Black MetalGreymon, Black War Greymon, Black Gabumon, Black Garurumon, Black WereGarurumon, Black MetalGarurumon, Omegamon Zwart, Beelzebumon Blast Mode and Cherubimon(Virus) as evolutions for your Digimon as well as an NPC outside the detective agency to give you a Black Agumon, a Black Gabumon, an Agumon in Taichi's shirt, and an Agumon in them MC's shirt. If you ever digivolve the agumons in shirts they lose them forever. : /
Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

I am fifteen hours into this game (I had launch day off), and I'm barely past the first Digital Wave dungeon because I've been messing around with my Digimon too much. I've got 15 Champions, and an Ultimate, with two more around the corner. The only reason I do plot is to get more Memory Ups so I can actually use my Digimon and access hacking skills I need/want.

PS: hacking skills are HMs done right. They don't take up move slots, but you still need particular kinds of Digimon with you to use them — and you're usually fine with one each of Vaccine, Data, Virus, and Neutral of the highest Digivolution you can fit.

I still prefer the virtual pet style stuff, but this is hands-down the best Digimon game by a long shot. Music's damn fine, too.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 02-03-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:07 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Have I mentioned how adorable Digimon Twitter is? Because this game has Digimon Twitter, and it's way better than real Twitter. Your Digimon that aren't in your team message you and junk, and you can reply to boost your friendship and uggggh it's just so cute.

Syakomon got up super early and he's really proud of that and I'm just gonna melt
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I spent about an hour scouring Kowloon for Tyrannomon's missing property, and I'm getting the sinking feeling it's behind the firewall I can't open yet, which means I'm just wasting time. At least I was able to torrent the chocobo-looking Digimon, though I'm scared to use it and find out it grows up into a lawnmower or something. The evolution trees in this game are baffling.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:35 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
I spent about an hour scouring Kowloon for Tyrannomon's missing property, and I'm getting the sinking feeling it's behind the firewall I can't open yet, which means I'm just wasting time. At least I was able to torrent the chocobo-looking Digimon, though I'm scared to use it and find out it grows up into a lawnmower or something. The evolution trees in this game are baffling.
I'm not sure if it's randomized, but for me it was in the dead end T-section immediately past him on Kowloon 2.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovewolf View Post
I'm not sure if it's randomized, but for me it was in the dead end T-section immediately past him on Kowloon 2.
Yep, that's where it was. Thanks!

TYRANNOMON YOU IDIOT
Old 02-04-2016, 07:56 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Yep, that's where it was. Thanks!

TYRANNOMON YOU IDIOT
Glad to help - also don't worry about using your Chocobo-mon. Even if he does grow up into a lawnmower, you can always back him down back to Chocobo again (or further)

I'm pretty sure if you wanted you can take almost any mon into any other mon in this game with strategic evolving and devolving.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

So far, zig-zagging across Digivolution trees is possible. My Hagurumon was at one point a ToyAgumon. Then a regular Agumon. Now he's a MetalGreymon.

A bit of advice: if you're a normal human being who can't pick Digimon out of vague silhouettes, save before Digivolving anything. If you don't like the result, just reload. Also, Digimon with camradirie requirements tend to be better. You might want to avoid DNA Digivolutions altogether unless you know exactly what the result will be — that process eats a Digimon, and DeDigivolving from it doesn't give you the eaten Digimon back.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:10 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Double post for public service announcement:

I ran into an issue with some of my soon-to-be-Mega Digimon. Turns out, there's a stat for how many times you've Digivolved/DeDigivolved. It's ABI(lity). Many Mega level Digimon, and some Ultimates require certain amounts. It looks like 10 is the sweet spot for Ultimates, and 20 for Megas. They probably did it to stop people like me from just making a collection of protagonist Digimon immediately.

Anyway, if you're planning on using a Digimon a bunch, maybe flop it back and forth in the In-Training to Champion range for a while so you don't waste 30-60 levels (like me)?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:21 PM

Picked up the PS4 version on a whim today, since it looks pretty good and, well, I'm somehow in the mood for a Digimon game. I guess there's a first for everything!

Two things are bothering me, though...

1.) Is character movement bugged on PS4? When I change directions while running, the MC stops for a second before he starts running again. Feels really weird.

2.) How do you even pronounce Sleuth.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
2.) How do you even pronounce Sleuth.
\ˈslüth\
Old 02-05-2016, 02:02 PM

I haven't had that problem with movement and I'm on ps4 as well. Are you using the dpad for movement or analog? Also terrier gets my vote for one of the best starters but you can get all the starters early. Also got renamon super early by luck. Waiting until 200% scam rate helps alot too.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Terriermon is a super extra fantastic starter, because it lets you start the path to a "perfect" healer immediately (thanks GameFAQs user who did all the research for me). If you Digivolve to Gatomon, you get healing, AoE healing, and revival before digivolving again, and that's already better support than most Digimon. I had to go find a Terriermon to have healing available twenty hours in, so.

Hagurumon is neat if you want a WarGreymon as soon as physically possible — Hagurumon-Guadromon-ToyAgumon-Koromon-Agumon should give you enough ABI on its own to qualify for WarGreymon.

I can't see Palmon being much different from Terriermon, role-wise. It just starts further along the chain. I mean. I don't get who Palmon is for? I feel like Biyomon or Wormon would've been better choices there. Maybe that's just cause I don't like Palmon's weird, vein-y design, tho.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:52 PM
just ignore my posts

WHY ISN'T THIS ON PS3 IT'S A FUCKING VITA GAME A PS3 CAN PISS ON A VITA IT'S SO MUCH BETTER THAN A VITA

Tags
diggymans , digimon , digimon devil story , greymon , men in grey , pokemon with prestiging , this hole is made for me