The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-31-2016, 09:11 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Default Digimon Story: Virtual Detectiving

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth comes out soon! I'm excited! Are you excited? Probably not! That's why I made a thread to quarantine my insane ramblings about it! Now you don't have to deal with that shit! Congratulations!

imma have six metalgraymens.

oh yeah and it's gonna be on the ps4 and vita on feburararararararary 2econd, and it looks like the gameplay's a lot like Digimon World DS if you're into to that whole "research" thing
i have it on good authority that you're like 30% cooler if you don't do research

also that battle menu? that battle menu looks SWANK

look at that team: CoveredUpByTheBattleMenuMon, AKeatonFromTheZeldaGameWithTheMaskMon, and TheBirdOneYouProbablyRecognizeMon.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:15 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Diggymans Narrative
I thought this was a thread about Cave Story. This isn't about Cave Story.

...I'll show myself out.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:15 AM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

So is it Sony platforms only?
Old 01-31-2016, 09:16 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I thought this was a thread about Cave Story. This isn't about Cave Story.

...I'll show myself out.
I mean. It's pretty close. Cave Story: a pretty good game.

but it doesn't have metalgraymens in it, so it's irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
So is it Sony platforms only?
Yup, though that isn't really a surprise? The 3DS probably doesn't have the horsepower for that battle menu, and Digimon has traditionally been a Sony and sometimes Nintendo franchise. PC would be neat, but like, I'm surprised we're getting it at all.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:56 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I can't help but be wary 'cuz Bandai has shown time and time again that usually the best they can do with Digimon is mediocrity.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:16 PM

It looks a-lot like digimon world 3 in the battle system, and I can totally go for that.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:35 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I almost made another thread for this game because I had no idea this thread was the thread. I humbly request we put "Digimon" in the thread title.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:41 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

I would not be upset if a mod did that.

Looks like your reserve party size is based on "Digimemory" so you could bring like 4 Megas or 20 Fresh Digimon. You know. In case you wanted to kill a Diaboromon via sending waves and waves of your own (Digi)men at it. I'm really hoping you can "reset" your Digimon for higher base stats like in DW: DS. That was super addictive. My buddy and I didn't stop playing that game until we both had six Digimon with maxed out stats. Hell, one of his was only a Champion - DarkTyrannomon. With enough dedication, you could've theoretically brought in an Agumon that could one-shot the final boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
It looks a-lot like digimon world 3 in the battle system, and I can totally go for that.
I have an illegal amount of love for Digimon World 1, but Digimon World 3 is the secret best Digimon game so long as you only use one Digimon. There are a few sticking points, but it takes a grindy and frustrating experience and turns it into a very breezy game of one-shotting bosses. I understand that the world record speedruns for DW3 typically use a solo Guilmon.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 01-31-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:58 AM
Penalty for being bard

Pronouns: He/Him

What the hell is that poor young woman being forced to wear?
Old 02-01-2016, 08:30 AM
The Blue Hat Returns!

Never played any of the games, but I do love a lot of the franchise's designs. That, and the anime stomps all over Pokémon the competition.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Most of the games are bad, or only good with caveats. This one will probably be like that too. My money's on the story be obstruive and hot garbage.

Also, I believe that woman is wearing black hotpants and/or a skirt with thigh-length yellow stockings. And like. A t-shirt. Oh! And one glove, because I think that's A Thing about this game — the male protagonist also has one. They've also got similar color schemes from what I've seen.

It has a very Persona 4 feel, looks like. Just replace "TV" with "the internet" and then throw "TV" back in too, because why the hell not?

*Wakes up, checks Digivice iC* Okay, Greymon, everything's good here... *Checks Digimon Mini* ... NUMEMON fuck shit hell damn file island, get over here the fuck can i get out of this how did this happen ugggggh
edit: ooooh, i forgot you even COULD train on a Mini, looks like i can still get MetalGreymon, too. I just have to not make a single mistake.

Last edited by LancerECNM; 02-01-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

So. I'm playing it now. I can't be certain this early on, but the writing seems pretty good. They changed some of the core conceits of Digimon to do it, but it's respected my intelligence so far, and has apparently made a character who's sole job is to look at the party idiot and go "THAT'S NOT HOW THE INTERNET WORKS, CHRIST."
Old 02-02-2016, 11:32 AM
just ignore my posts

I want this so bad and I only discovered it like a week ago. THANKS LANCER
Old 02-02-2016, 11:42 AM
Known Ninja Disrespector

This is a love letter to the anime in so many ways. You have a red outline in cyberspace which looks just like the internet from the Digimon Movie. Machinedramon and Chrysalimon show up before you get your starter. The game doesn't just hand you an Agumon, you pick between Terriermon, Hagurumon, and Palmon at the beginning. Both MalC and FeMC have goggles. The game has a shockingly nuanced view of what real hacking actually is, despite it involving Digimon in this setting. And the battles! They're so quick and smooth!

It feels a lot like Persona 4 by way of Digimon, speaking stylistically and writing-wise.

EDIT:
Don't start on Hard battle difficulty. You can change it at any time, but uh. Two Koromon can easily wipe you by exhausting your healing supply during your first random encounter on Hard.

Also, "catching" new Digimon just entails meeting them in battle enough times. After that you can go make one at the lab.

and the music

the music is so good

EDIT: EDIT: you can even log in to cyberspace using televisions

Last edited by LancerECNM; 02-02-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
This is a love letter to the anime in so many ways. You have a red outline in cyberspace which looks just like the internet from the Digimon Movie. Machinedramon and Chrysalimon show up before you get your starter. The game doesn't just hand you an Agumon, you pick between Terriermon, Hagurumon, and Palmon at the beginning. Both MalC and FeMC have goggles. The game has a shockingly nuanced view of what real hacking actually is, despite it involving Digimon in this setting. And the battles! They're so quick and smooth!

It feels a lot like Persona 4 by way of Digimon, speaking stylistically and writing-wise.
I read an interview at some point where one of the designers mentioned that their design philosophy with Cyber Sleuth was to appeal to people who had grown up with Digimon. So yeah, they're not going for the Pokemon/Yokai Watch audience with this game. They're going for the Persona audience.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Yup, I can definitely feel that. Oh, and it has some Re: Digitize cameos in the Velvet Room DigiLab. And for those of you who have played Digimon World DS, it's essentially that game, down to DeDigivolution to increase max level, and managing a Digimon Farm for training things that aren't in your party.

Looks like you can have your DigiFarms do things like develop items and look for stuff, too.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:43 PM
just ignore my posts

I wish there was an English version of DW DS.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.S.T. View Post
I wish there was an English version of DW DS.
*picks up English copy of Digimon World DS, points at it*
Old 02-02-2016, 12:52 PM
just ignore my posts

...Fuck, I thought it wasn't translated. TO EMULATION i mean TO MY LOCAL USED GAMES STORE
Old 02-02-2016, 12:54 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Yeah, like, Digimon World DS is pretty great. We got all three of the DS games, and they're pretty good, but the writing is so bad that I thought you were making a joke about it at first.

Game just made a Dororo/Blood Will Tell reference.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:12 PM
Banned

oh my god how am I only finding out about this now
Old 02-02-2016, 01:18 PM
just ignore my posts

Quote:
Yeah, like, Digimon World DS is pretty great. We got all three of the DS games, and they're pretty good, but the writing is so bad that I thought you were making a joke about it at first.

Game just made a Dororo/Blood Will Tell reference.
Another game I need to play(Though I'll likely regret it).

But nah, I had literally no idea DW DS was in English. Last I'd done any research into it was a decade ago.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:17 PM
asleep at the wheel

I would totally get a vita for this, and build an unholy army of digitamamon, and evaporate into stardust as I will have fulfilled my life's purpose
Old 02-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Cool Guy

I suppose this is as good a place to ask as anywhere. How the hell does Digimon work? At first I thought it was all VR, but then later in the show Dracula jumps through the computer or whatever and attacks Tokyo and things got surprisingly real and young me could not handle it.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:13 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

It, uh. It varies. It's a bit like Final Fantasy -- most Digimon shows and games have little to nothing to do with each other beyond, you know, Digimon. Generally speaking, the Digital World tends to be a parallel universe constructed out of data that the internet happened to rub up against. So, it isn't the internet itself, but you can get there via the internet.

When the barrier separating the parallel universes of the non-digital world and the Digital World begins erroding Bad Things happen. Like, you know, Myotismon hopping through a portal and wrecking Shinjuku.

But... that's not how it works in Cyber Sleuth at all. Except Cyber Sleuth has characters from Re: Digitize in it, and that is how it works in Re: Digitize. So Digimon are the sentient denizens of another universe that you can interact with via video games published by well-known Google stand-ins, but they're also dangerous programs used by hackers that only a few people know about. Sometimes they Digivolve in a linear manner and die after about ten to twenty days, sometimes Digivolution is temporary and exhausting, sometimes Digivolution is permanent and statistics-based, and sometimes they Digivolve every which way at the drop of a hat and are immortal.

You can generally trust that Digimon partnered with a Digidestined function differently than tamed Digimon or wild Digimon. By pulling on their bond, they can Blast Digivolve (that would be the temporary kind). The video games typically don't follow Digidestined protagonists because that's an awful gameplay mechanic, so Digivolution tends to be semi-permanent to actually-permanent, with death or DeDigivolution resetting the process and increasing the Digimon's base stats or potential max stats.

This is kind of why Digimon games tend to be bad. It feels like they didn't want to just ape Pokemon when it came time to make console games, and they never really found a mechanical or narrative identity of their own. Without that identity they never refine or polish anything. It's just constantly throwing things at a wall and seeing what sticks.

So, TL;DR: Digimon is not internally consistent. Just... go with it.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:07 PM

I know this isn't the thread for it, but there was a episode somewhere or something where alot of the mc goggles converged and they had to beat a big bad or something? Also digimon tamers gets my vote for darkest way of becoming more powerful. Also the tons of ctuhlu references don't help.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Known Ninja Disrespector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
I know this isn't the thread for it, but there was a episode somewhere or something where alot of the mc goggles converged and they had to beat a big bad or something? Also digimon tamers gets my vote for darkest way of becoming more powerful. Also the tons of ctuhlu references don't help.
Season 1 and 2 are canon in-universe television shows in Tamers, so...

who knows!

just go with it
Old 02-02-2016, 05:42 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

He really is talking about going out and punching an oil tanker.

You guys are making me more interested in Cyber Sleuth then I originally was. Maybe I'll pick it up after all!
Old 02-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Crazy Old Bird

I love that you essentially catch Digimon by torrenting them.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Indecisive Epicure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post

He really is talking about going out and punching an oil tanker.

You guys are making me more interested in Cyber Sleuth then I originally was. Maybe I'll pick it up after all!
The one time I thought about watching Digimon was when my sister showed me screenshots of whichever series this shot is from, but it was of the main character actually punching an Agumon in the face. This screen has me considering once more. I guess I just like protagonists that want to punch cute and inanimate things. Despite playing and watching no Digimon, I could probably name 55 or so just from sibling osmosis. So, I may get this one just to psych her out.

Tags
diggymans , digimon , digimon devil story , greymon , men in grey , pokemon with prestiging , this hole is made for me