The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-20-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Found Dragons Crown to be kind of a letdown compared to Mystara, honestly. Felt a bit over complicated and grindy for a Beat-em-up. I definitely liked it, but Mystara felt more like it was a distilled example of what made Dragons Crown work.
DC is the beat-'em-up for people who don't actually like them tbh
Old 12-22-2018, 08:20 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

I saw an ad on Tapatalk for a DEATHADDER gaming mouse and it made me think of Golden Axe: Revenge of Death=Adder. That's it, that's all that happened.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:47 PM
Slammaster

I like the D&D brawlers more than King of Dragons. KoD feels like a dry-run for the Mystara games. While I think Shadow is a bit overcomplicated (you need specific gear to get the good ending, and that gear is annoying to get, even if you know how), Tower of Doom has the perfect amount of depth between the four classes and branching paths to create replayability. ToD might be my favorite brawler of all-time, honestly.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:12 AM
Answers come in dreams

I prefer ToD too myself. I don't know why though. It has some good polish to it that mysteria lacked. I don't think the thief and the magic user were very good additions to the roster. The only thing ToD has against it is that you can't have two of the same job in a group.

Anybody play Night Slashers? Great game - I like the theme.I've been playing it on the Switch lately.

I went back and played Arcade TMNT and don't think that game has held up very well. The Simpsons, has, however.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Slammaster

Night Slashers rules. And I can explain why in one sentence.

I honestly don't think either Simpsons or TMNT1 (or X-Men) have aged that gracefully. TMNT2 (or 4, whatever) and Metamorphic Force are much better, I think.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:36 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
I like the D&D brawlers more than King of Dragons. KoD feels like a dry-run for the Mystara games. While I think Shadow is a bit overcomplicated (you need specific gear to get the good ending, and that gear is annoying to get, even if you know how), Tower of Doom has the perfect amount of depth between the four classes and branching paths to create replayability. ToD might be my favorite brawler of all-time, honestly.
Oh I definitely see the appeal ("Like DnD brawlers" is why I got Dragon's Crown Pro at its PS4 launch), I'm just in the mood for something lighter on the mechanics front right now. The King of Dragons will scratch that itch nicely when I play it again.

16 stages is pretty overkill for a brawler though, I'll admit that. Even if they're not particularly long the game feels like it goes on and on forever.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:10 AM
Slammaster

Double Dragon II in the arcade is still a pretty good, but not great, brawler. It improves on the original in a lot of ways, but it still has a lot of quarter-munchy bullshit. And the stages are just reskins of the original game layouts. The NES version is better, but the arcade game is still worth a play.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:45 PM
Slammaster

Double Dragon II on Genesis is one of the worst ports I've ever played. The 8 year-old me who read about it in a magazine and wondered why it never came here is now glad it never came here. Holy catfish.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:05 AM
Slammaster

Played through River City Ransom on the Kunio World Classics Collection for Switch, and man, that game still rules, but grinding for certain items (Dragon Feet + Texas Boots) makes the late game kind of trivial. Almost every enemy dies in a single hit (single flurry?), and you can stunlock even the Twins and Slick with Grand Slam. But also, you know, spending all the time to figure that stuff out was part of the fun for a first time play.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:38 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Picked up Way of the Passive Fist on the Switch (itís also on everything else) and itís a pretty neat reinterpretation of the side-scrolling man-puncher. Namely in that you do not punch any mans in it. Well, the super attacks are punches, but youíve got to earn those.

Instead of any sort of attacks or grapples like youíd expect to see in a beatemup, your only attacks are a block, dodge and a gentle shove; as you avoid enemies attacks they get more and more exhausted and when theyíre completely winded, you push them down. It feels a lot like the combat in the Assassins Creed or Arkham Games, just designer around a 2D plane.

Combat doesnít take long to get frantic either, as while enemies are polite enough to only attack one at a time and the window for blocking and dodging is pretty generous, they tend to mix up their fighting styles a lot and counters only work on certain attacks.

Only played a few levels, but Iím Pretty impressed so far.

Tags
beating-them-ups , beltscrollers , haggar my god to thee , homo dark club , human lullaby machine , oh! my car , roads of anger , trouble in river city