The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

It's hard to get worse than the NES version of Bad Dudes.

To think I finished that, kids are stupid.

Yeah, the bad enugh dude bit and the ending are great, but the game is terrible.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:42 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Let's not talk about the 3D Die Hard brawler
Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
It's hard to get worse than the NES version of Bad Dudes.

To think I finished that, kids are stupid.

Yeah, the bad enugh dude bit and the ending are great, but the game is terrible.
I distinctly remember the ad that compared the versions of Bad Dudes with those of Double Dragon. Let me see if I can't find it...

Ah, there it is.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:56 PM
This Guy

Default Re: Punching Hundreds of the Same Four Guys: Talking about Beat-em-Ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
If you don't want to talk about it why did you bring it up?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
If you don't want to talk about it why did you bring it up?
Quote:
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Nah, let's.

The main things I know about the Die Hard Trilogy (The first two courtesy of HG101) are 1) it was known as Dynamite Deka in Japan but was branded with the Die Hard license elsewhere because it takes a lot of "inspiration" from Die Hard, 2) it had a PS2 remake that let you play as the cast of Golden Axe in easy mode, and 3) from my hands-on experience with the game, it was kinda shit.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

The best part of Dynamite Cop (Die Hard Arcades DC sequel) is just how sublimely insane it was. Boss fight against an octopus inside the kitchen of a cruise ship, fights against pirates dressed up in clothes made out of turtles, the fact that in lieu of a health meter, your characters clothes got progressively more town up as they took damage, so finding a first-aid kit gave your character a shirt, and you could unlock a port of one of Segas older coin-op games which, instead of being absolutely anything you might reasonably expect to be included in a punch-the-mans game from Sega, was Safari Hunt.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:45 PM
kill

Any non wrestling game that lets me do a Diamond Cutter is Aces (see what I did there, wrestling fans?)

Me and a buddy played through that Die Hard game on the Saturn. It's a good time.

And I don't about the remake, but I know the sequel was for Dreamcast and was called Dynamite Cop or somesuch. Never have played it. I want to though.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
for my money, streets of rage 2 and Shadows over Mystara are the two high points of this genre, with double dragon and final fight coming slightly behind. Love me some turtles 2, but xmen and simpsons were only good because of the attached licenses.

also, lets not forget Kung Fu on the NES.
I think this genre is really an odd one.

Brawlers are really fun in the arcade, and much less fun at home. A game designed to pump quarters into it loses something when the quarters are free and its compared to the depth and length of home console games.

That being said having 6 people crowded around an X-men cabinet with two screens was awesome. So awesome that people would even play with Dazzler. XMEN, TMNT and Simpsons I would argue are great arcade games. But maybe not good home games.

My favorite brawlers are:

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs - Final Fight Plus Mutants Plus Dinosaurs. The best Capcom brawler I've played. I have not played the D&D ones.

Double Dragon - Its possible to be skilled at this game and go far on one credit. I"m not so sure that is realistically possible with the vast majority of later brawlers.

XMEN / TMNT - I don't know if these were SFII level of success, but they seemed close. Literally every arcade around me had one or the other, if not both. Nostalgia puts these games in the favorite category for me.

Are games like River City Ransom and Legend of the Mystical Ninja brawlers? If so, they are clearly also in top spots.

I think more than anything, brawlers are a genre of the past. I think their game play is so shallow, that in general, I would rather be playing another genre.

Maybe Dragon's Crown will prove me wrong.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:58 PM
23 ski-dook

The Warriors for Xbox and PS2/PSP is also a pretty good brawler. Combat's a lot of fun and there are a lot of ways to take dudes out.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:24 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voncaster View Post
I think more than anything, brawlers are a genre of the past. I think their game play is so shallow, that in general, I would rather be playing another genre.
The Batman Arkham games say hello.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 PM
BAG

Anybody remember POW? Me and my friends laughed so hard at the way final attacks would rocket enemies off the screen.

Then I saw a video not too long ago and I noticed all the bug eyes.
So all this time I guess POW was a comedy.

I mean, look at this.

But no matter what, level 1 had some intense accordion music.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 AM
kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoWeasel View Post
The Warriors for Xbox and PS2/PSP is also a pretty good brawler. Combat's a lot of fun and there are a lot of ways to take dudes out.
That stupid spray paint tag mini game soured me on it.

Also, do modern action games like DmC and Ninja Gaiden count as brawlers? I mean, it has more finess and combat options, but beating dudes down is still the core of the game.

The Arkham games were straight action-adventure
Old 06-26-2013, 07:00 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
Also, do modern action games like DmC and Ninja Gaiden count as brawlers? I mean, it has more finess and combat options, but beating dudes down is still the core of the game.
They lock you into a room until you have proven your right to advance by BEATING ASS, which is at the core of the subgenre.

Camera angles are meaningless.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:16 AM

DMC and Ninja Gaiden aren't quite there, given that there is some form of exploration involved, but it's certainly got strong brawler elements. As mentioned earlier, much of the genre has been folded into larger, (slightly) deeper games.

But still, sometimes I don't care about that, and just want to beat dudes up. And the old games are perfect for that.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Man of Density

So you know how Sunsoft used to be this great company in the NES-era, then became a publisher of outsourced mediocrity during the SNES/Genesis days? Well, they actually had a bunch of great stuff during that era, but never exported any of it!

Case in point: Shounen Ninja Sasuke
Which is like River City Ransom, Gangbare Goemon, and Mighty Final Fight spliced together. But the real fun in diagonally bounding off the heads of your enemies like a hyper-active flea.

There's no English patch yet, alas, so I never really got very far. (Much like their Zelda-like Xak: Art of Visual Stage, but this is getting off-point)
Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
As mentioned earlier, much of the genre has been folded into larger, (slightly) deeper games.
Legend of Mana comes to mind. The fixed battles, the often horizontally oriented perspective, the movement in eight directions but only being able to attack left and right...It's an adventure RPG first and foremost, but the battle system's more brawler-like than the top-down Zeldesque games before it.

Of course, that's one of its most divisive changes, but it's pretty fun once you start looking into the wide range of moves and special attacks available.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:29 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
DMC and Ninja Gaiden aren't quite there, given that there is some form of exploration involved, but it's certainly got strong brawler elements. As mentioned earlier, much of the genre has been folded into larger, (slightly) deeper games.

But still, sometimes I don't care about that, and just want to beat dudes up. And the old games are perfect for that.
God Hand manages to be the best of both worlds. It combines the depth of combat you'd seen in a more modern and deep action game with the light-hearted stupidity that keeps the old beat 'em ups charming. It's also the not so secret best Fist of the North Star game next to the Arc System Works fighter.

It's only (sadly) missing a co-op gameplay option.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Back to the Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
*head explodes from the sheer pleasure of just the idea of such a thing*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w948JVbfi3I

Someone did actually attempt something like this back in 2007, just before the handover of the Turtles license to Viacom. It wasn't bad!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
/|\^..^/|\

I used to hate beat-em-ups as a kid - I guess I wasn't impressed by their shallowness or by the voracious appetite for quarters that seemed to define arcade games - but then a couple years ago I got my hands on Streets of Rage Remake, and suddenly they became my favourite thing ever.

I think I prefer SoR2 to SoRR. It has a slower, more methodical pace to it, and enemies seem much more inclined to gather up behind me to have other dudes thrown into them.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 AM
kill

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks was actually a pretty solid entry in this genre.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:15 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

The best brawlers are the ones with a high skill cap. NARC and Crime City were bogged down with bad control, bad design and bullshit difficulty, but they're the dregs of the genre.

Guardian Heroes, the Double Dragon games and the later Capcom brawlers all reward mastery, which gives them a longevity you wouldn't expect from titles so short and linear.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
Man, SNESinja Warriors. I'd say it's better than than the arcade version. The only way they could improve that game was if they included the Daddy Mulk song.
Some nights I lie in bed wondering why it wasn't put in there.
Stop what you're doing right now and listen to this.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Little Waves

Incidentally, the Remixdome is still taking nominations.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 PM
whatever it takes

No mere dome, thunder or otherwise, can contain violin of this ferocity.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Little Waves

Any Daddy Mulk remix will do, probably.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Guardian Heroes, the Double Dragon games and the later Capcom brawlers all reward mastery, which gives them a longevity you wouldn't expect from titles so short and linear.
This was something that quite impressed me about Scott Pilgrim as well. Yes, the stats are grindy and annoying, but there's also a fairly decent skill mastery component involved. The toolbox of moves you get, when used effectively, actually lets you bypass a lot of the more obnoxious stat-grinding. My second pass through the game (with Knives) I beat it at a far lower level than I had on my Scott playthrough.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:17 AM
Mystery Contraption

Oh boy! My painstaking archeological dig of TTs deepest pits found this thread! Now I don't need to make a new one!

So I played Captain Commando, via one of the other of the PSP Capcom collections, which I hadn't played or thought too much about (beyond saying, oh I remember that guy in MVC) since playing it in the arcade.

What we have here is a beat-em-up where the playable roster includes, besides the obligatory Ninja guy, a superhero cowboy with fireball and lightning powers, a super intelligent baby in a giant robot suit, and, what is of course my Favorite, an alien mummy with two knives, who fights crime by stabbing criminals and is named Mack the Knife.

How this game never managed to get any sequels, let alone an extensive series with spin-offs is beyond me.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:05 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

They did show up in MvC2, so they have that going for them.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:09 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

The CPS1 era had a lot of solid one-off beatemups in that era -- Captain Commando, Knights of the Round, Punisher. The only one they ever did a sequel to was Dynasty Wars, the Three Kingdoms game.

Tags
beating-them-ups , beltscrollers , haggar my god to thee , homo dark club , human lullaby machine , oh! my car , roads of anger , trouble in river city