The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-24-2013, 10:30 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I find almost every single one of these games lasts longer than it sustains my interest.

Scott Pilgrim is probably my favourite. Turtles in Time is world-class, too. Streets of Rage 2 is obviously great.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

I always thought the third TMNT game for NES never got enough love. It was like the previous one with a lot more detail and environmental variety, Turtles that differ from one another, and a fantastically absurd plot.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Friends Forever

Default Except for Slash ... screw Slash

The throw in Turtles in Time was just forward and attack when you were really close to an enemy.

Dash attack -> hold forward for a sec to close -> keep holding, press attack was an easy way to get it off.

ToT was great because it was so easy even for youngun me. I like SoR 2 more but that final level really takes a lot outta you.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM
It's dog eat dog

I think what they might have done, then, is map it so that slamming Foot soldiers during the Shredder fight throws them instead, since it involves kind of a tricky move for novices.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I always thought the third TMNT game for NES never got enough love. It was like the previous one with a lot more detail and environmental variety, Turtles that differ from one another, and a fantastically absurd plot.
Oh, yeah, definitely. It was a step up from TMNT II, simply from the lesser enemy invincibility pause, the stab-throw move, and the variable super moves (that could be spammed when low on life, but you better be good!). It's pretty much the version to own on the NES.

Turtles in Time for SNES is obviously pretty rockin'. The Genesis version, Hyperstone Heist, was also quite excellent, but it was a touch too easy to abuse the slam move in that game (which I did with impunity).

Also, I know some folks don't like it, apparently, but I really liked the original Streets of Rage, too. SoR3 is the one that doesn't do it for me. Perhaps it's that miserable soundtrack.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Streets of Rage has some neat touches like the police car that shoots rockets and the alternate endings, but it's hard to go back to after its better looking/sounding/playing sequel. Streets of Rage 2 is borderline arcade quality next to SoR1's slow, choppy, messy low res design.

Streets of Rage is the Jet Set Radio to Streets of Rage 2's Jet Set Radio Future. It's well-intentioned and has some neat quirks of its own, but it's inferior in almost every way.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Also, I know some folks don't like it, apparently, but I really liked the original Streets of Rage, too. SoR3 is the one that doesn't do it for me. Perhaps it's that miserable soundtrack.
No, the original Streets of Rage is fine, if a little boring. Streets of Rage 3 is pretty crap, though.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Yeah, I'm not saying it's the greatest in the genre, but there's something about how the game plays that I really like. So much of the beat-'em-up genre relied more on feel than anything, 'cause honestly, the thread title pretty much nails what most of them consist of.

I still say that Double Dragon is an incredible game. I've always like its more technical brawling over the likes of Final Fight, and the NES version of Double Dragon II is rockin', even if the temple stage still creeps me the heck out. And I'd love to get a copy of Double Dragon Advance, which was also quite spiffy.

Also, Double Dragon: Neon is awesome. Totally worth playing through multiple times (which I most certainly did).
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
There's also DJ Boy - the most 80's beat-em-up ever.
I was wrong about this. I can't believe nobody called me out on it. The most 80's beat-em-up ever is actually Bad Dudes.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:29 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

For the most part this genre has folded into the modern character action game, but I loved Anarchy Reigns, and Splatterhouse was amazingly fun.

Of course the Streets of Rage games and Turtles in Time are fantastic, and Punisher is great too.

Scott Pilgrim is probably the best newer retro-style game, but Double Dragon Neon has eclipsed it in some ways for me. Even if it doesn't quite have the same fantastic art style, the music is nearly as charming and it's got far better actual gameplay, in my book.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:38 PM
gatchapon 3*

for my money, streets of rage 2 and Shadows over Mystara are the two high points of this genre, with double dragon and final fight coming slightly behind. Love me some turtles 2, but xmen and simpsons were only good because of the attached licenses.

also, lets not forget Kung Fu on the NES.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:36 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
for my money, streets of rage 2 and Shadows over Mystara are the two high points of this genre, with double dragon and final fight coming slightly behind. Love me some turtles 2, but xmen and simpsons were only good because of the attached licenses.

also, lets not forget Kung Fu on the NES.
If we are including ones with only 1 plane then Ninja Warriors on snes needs love.

Anyone play Legend on SNES? It was a golden axe ripoff, but had excellent grpahics and music.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 PM
BAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
If we are including ones with only 1 plane then Ninja Warriors on snes needs love.
Man, SNESinja Warriors. I'd say it's better than than the arcade version. The only way they could improve that game was if they included the Daddy Mulk song.
Some nights I lie in bed wondering why it wasn't put in there.

But then I remember they added Oompa-Loompas with claws to the game and I can always just play that song on some sort of media device.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Little Waves

Ninja Warriors is interesting because of (a) Zuntata and (b) the concept of Japan embracing the weird carnival house mirror version of ninjas found in '80s Hollywood movies.

"The core tenet of ninjutsu is to beat ass."
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Japan also gave us Ninja Baseball Bat Man, which had color-coded robot ninja baseball players beating up things like anthropomorphic baseball bats wielding bats and an evil cartoon plane.

...Crap, now I miss Irem. =(
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Anyone play Legend on SNES? It was a golden axe ripoff, but had excellent grpahics and music.
Yep, I remember it. Painfully slow swing speed, though. Looked really good, for sure. Never found it in the wild, though, and I save-scummed to the end many years ago.

And now, for some reason, Dragon Valor popped into my head. Fun game if you keep your expectations in check, which most at the time didn't do. It is more brawler than Zelda-killer, with hype leaning toward the latter.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 AM

Can't really say anything about this, the video explains it self. Ninja Baseball Batman.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Default Punching Hundreds of the Same Four Guys: Talking about Beat-em-Ups

What was the game where dwarfs armed themselves with stuff from a sorting goods store because that's a hilarious concept
Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Default Punching Hundreds of the Same Four Guys: Talking about Beat-em-Ups

Also when I was a kid I used to play this bootleg game based on romance of the three kingdoms. Like you could ride a horse and shit.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:41 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
What was the game where dwarfs armed themselves with stuff from a sorting goods store because that's a hilarious concept
3 Dirty Dwarves. A really great beat 'em up on the Saturn. In some ways your health "regenerated" because when one dwarf went down, you took control of another but could eventually "beat some sense" into the defeated dwarf to get him back.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:57 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Also when I was a kid I used to play this bootleg game based on romance of the three kingdoms. Like you could ride a horse and shit.
Warriors of Fate?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

I think it was the original, actually. Nice find!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Peeper

Quote:
I remember renting it once a long time ago and being supremely disappointed by how dull it was.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 PM
poisonous thread snake

Pronouns: un-/non-/it

YEAH.

NINJA WARRIORS.

AGAIN.

I feel like Natsume's 16-bit action titles generally share the same strengths and weaknesses, in that they all share a relatively simple arcade-inspired premise, anchored by neat mechanics/gimmicks and very strong production values. However, they lack the depth and gameplay variety to justify extended play, or stake any claim to real historical relevance.

All that said, Ninja Warriors is totally badass. I feel that the restricted plane and emphasis on crowd control via extensive, character-specific movesets really gives the game depth far beyond its 3/4-perspective contemporaries. The 3 characters all feel totally different from one another, and it's the only beat-em-up I've played where the slow/strong character is actually a beast. My main gripe is that Kunoichi just seems underpowered compared to the Ninja and Kamaitachi. Her moves just lack the priority and range that makes the other two so satisfying. While the stages themselves are EXTREMELY generic, I do enjoy the bosses quite a bit, and each one has a unique and memorable design (aside from the one[s?] that become regular enemies later). I'm especially fond of the way that the organic bosses just drop dead after defeat, without disappearing/exploding/etc.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9inchsamurai View Post
I was super disappointed in the single-player content. Picking Hard just gets downright shitty really fast, and Normal is a cakewalk. Never really got into the multiplayer due to said disappointment. I seriously enjoyed what was going on with the Hard 1v1 boss fights -- it felt really damn close to a fighting game -- but it was just balanced so poorly and there didn't seem to be an easy way to just play that kind of thing on its own with some tweaks.
From what I understand, though, Anarchy Reigns is supposed to be a multiplayer brawl-fest first and foremost and the single player stuff is merely ancillary.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 PM
kill

Can we all agree that Fighting Force is one of the worst ones? When goddam Combatribes is a better game than you, there are issues.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
Can we all agree that Fighting Force is one of the worst ones? When goddam Combatribes is a better game than you, there are issues.
I haven't played much of it, but yeah, it didn't strike me as very good.

Now that I'm thinking of PSX brawlers, did anyone play Gekido? That ended up pretty decent.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Peeper

Quote:
Dude, Combatribes is awesome!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Now that I'm thinking of PSX brawlers, did anyone play Gekido? That ended up pretty decent.
Featuring the music of two Fatboy Slim songs and the art stylings of Mr. Joe Madeuira as rendered by the PS1 graphic engine.

I loved it far more then it deserved.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
To think it was going to be Streets of Rage 4!

Tags
beating-them-ups , beltscrollers , haggar my god to thee , homo dark club , human lullaby machine , oh! my car , roads of anger , trouble in river city