The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He
Default Punching Hundreds of the Same Four Guys: Talking about Beat-em-Ups

After the re-release of, and subsequent realization that I love, Shadows of Mystara I came to realize that the Arcade-Style Beat-em-Up (or "Punch the Mans Game") has had a revival lately, between new releases like Code of Princess and Double Dragon Neon and re-releases of the likes of the aforesaid Shadows of Mystara and Guardian Heroes. Heck, the quality of some of the ones we've gotten lately have been enough to make me realize that the arcade Simpsons and X-Men games were crummy. And Young-Octo would be SEETHING to hear me say that.

And !SO! I decided to make a thread for 'em. I don't know how well thats going to work as a concept since the Punch-the-Mans genre is so very very easy to do poorly, and so hard to do well. But what the heck, let's give it a shot. I'm sure Albert Nobel didn't expect dynamite to take off as well as it did and I take a lot of my life-lessons from that guy.

So... anyone play Anarchy Reigns, and, if so how is it? I have it staring at me from my shelf and I'm not QUITE sure I want to take Injustice out to even try it yet.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 PM
23 ski-dook

My favorite Punch-the-Mans are Streets of Rage 2, and newcomer Final Fight 3.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
August 6
Man, there is no part of that that fails to appeal to me.

Except for the bits that look pretty unappealing. But, you know, such doth life.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:15 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Probably my current favorite genre. SoR2 and Final Fight 3 are great, but I think I like FF2 more than 3. Maki's my jam, you know what I mean.

Yeah, the Konami ones seemed to be slightly more on the cool factor when I was kid, but the Capcom ones have held up better.

Ninja Turtles 4 for the SNES was amazing though!
Old 06-23-2013, 06:32 PM
asleep at the wheel

Scott Pilgrim v.s. The World: The Game

I adore the characters, animation*, and soundtrack, and the combat's some of the best in the genre once you get a few level-ups in.

I just wish you could start a New Game + at a higher difficulty once you unlock all the moves.

*Seeing Todd Ingram go all Veggie Tetsuo was just priceless.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 PM
BAG

Captain Commando is my favorite beat-em-up. I'm sure a lot of it is from nostalgia, but there's no denying it's bizarre and gory as all-get-out.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

I LOVE BEAT MAN's

Some FAVES:

1. Captain Commando - incredibly crude and violent 4 player cap beatem up. Was my fave for a long time.
2. Alien VS Predator - fast paced with fucking moves man.
3. Golden Axe: Revenge Of Death Adder - never released on home system. Which sucks, because this game rocks. Feature a centaur who loses most her legs while on a mount, and a giant dude with a dwarf on hos back.
4. Castle Crashers - oh man I love this game.
5. Anything Double Dragon - ESPECIALLY Double Dragon Arcade, Double Dragon Advance and Super Double Dragon. In SDD you can catch arm's and feet, then pound their face. All enemies look like Macho Man.
6. Armoured Warriors - Mech themed beatem up. You steal shattered parts of mechs for power ups!
7. Combattribes - you fucking wrestling moves these guys and are like 9 feet tall.
8. Undercover Cops - weird post apocalyptic Irem beatmans. You pickup cars and parking metres.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
BEAT MAN's
Quote:

The ultimate technique...
Old 06-23-2013, 06:57 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

OH

Also arcade Battletoads was pretty killer. If only for insane violence.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Peeper

In the very small chance you weren't sure, River City Ransom is still incredibly awesome.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

THE PUNISHER

FEATURING NICK FURY
Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 PM
*Hero of Lore - 20XX*

I don't normally commit to MMOs,*
But if I did,
Dungeon Fighter Online is one of the ones I'd play.

*I still haven't figured out exactly why, only that I'm consistent about dropping them.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorS View Post
In the very small chance you weren't sure, River City Ransom is still incredibly awesome.
Hells yeah it is.

I had a lot of fun as a child playing the original Streets of Rage and Golden Axe. But I never played any of their sequels. I also haven't played more than 10 minutes of any Final Fight game. As much fun as I've had playing BEAT MANs maybe I should play more of them.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:14 PM

I don't know much about the technical merits of various punch mans games, so the games that I consider memorable tend to be those which are memorably weird, rather than games that are objectively good. I see that Captain Commando has already been mentioned, but I'm sure I can come up with at least a few other games.

For the truly old-school, there's always Karateka, an early game by Jordan Mechner, who later went on to create Prince of Persia. In Karateka, you play a karate man who runs and walks to the right through a mountaintop temple, fighting rival karate men, a bird, and an ornately-garbed warlord in a quest to rescue a captive princess. Your extensive karate knowledge allows you to strike you enemies with six different attacks, although for the most part you'll just want to spam the low kick over and over. The warlord is only the third strongest enemy in the game, as his pet bird is an exceedingly evasive and deadly motherfucker, making it the second-toughest enemy. The most powerful (potential) enemy is the princess herself, since if you approach her while in your fighting stance, she'll instantly end your game with an unerring thunder kick to the crotch.

Fast-forwarding to the 90's, there's SNK's Sengoku games. The third game is a competent ninja-themed beat-em-up whose strangest gimmick is that two of the bosses join the players' team and become playable characters halfway through the game. It also has no apparent connection to the first two games, games which are almost certainly not good in any objective sense, but which I consider to be a whole lot more interesting than Sengoku 3. In the first game, a generic extreme 90's anime protagonist teams up with a cowboy dressed in purple to fight the demonic legions of a resurrected Oda Nobunaga in post-apocalyptic (or possibly mid-apocalyptic) Tokyo; the action periodically warps between Earth and a variety of otherworldly locations, so one moment you'll be fighting enemies in ruined streets, and the next moment you'll be dueling demons before a crowd of onlookers at the gates of heaven. As the game progresses, you gain the ability to change into a variety of other forms (none of which are notably better than your human form) and there are a handful of weapons you can obtain; they go away when you die, though, and considering that this is an SNK game, you'll be lucky to hold onto any weapon for more than a minute. Sengoku 2 continues the adventures of the flamboyant duo of the previous game, and adds time travel to the mix. I don't remember much about it other than that there are a couple stages where you fight from horseback, and there's a scene where you're on a boat fighting a giant demon that tries to kill you with a wooden ladle. Good times, good times.

God Hand is weird and not necessarily easy to get into, and it deviates considerably from the gameplay of the traditional arcade beat-em-up, but it has a lot of stylistic similarities. You fight punks, demons, and an assortment of weird and wonderful boss enemies against a wildly eclectic grab-bag of backdrops, all while wielding a variety of improvised weapons and eating food off the ground to restore your health. Every so often you can obtain bonus cash by beating up a car. I hated this game the first time I played it, but it eventually became my go-to game whenever I felt the need to punch some mans.

Atlus released a few brawlers for portable systems a few years back, although I haven't spent much time with them. Code of Princess has already been mentioned, but there was also Tokyo Beatdown and Kenka Bancho. Tokyo Beatdown gets points for having a protagonist named Lewis Cannon and for having a section in the manual that explains that all the weapons in the game fire non-lethal rubber bullets, so no one dies. A rocket launcher is one of the weapons. Kenka Bancho allows you to play as a juvenile delinquent who rampages around Kyoto fighting other delinquents, possibly while dressed in a giant banana costume. The section of the manual dealing with multiplayer has as one of its subheadings "You must gather your party before banchoing forth." What I'm saying here is that the Atlus games that fly under the radar have the best manuals.

Now that I think about it, Capcom released some other brawlers that weren't entirely unlike the D&D games. Knights of the Round was based on Arthurian legend, and I recall a couple other games based on the Three Kingdoms. I suspect they were all based on the same engine, although the only evidence I have for this is that they all have tigers in them, and while tigers might make sense in the Three Kingdoms game, they don't really seem like appropriate enemies for King Arthur and his knights.

Odin Sphere and Muramasa: The Demon Blade pretty much fit into this category, too, but this post is already long enough.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
there's a scene where you're on a boat fighting a giant demon that tries to kill you with a wooden ladle.
One of these guys.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 PM
barf

I've come to think that beat-em-ups are much like bad action movies, but that they aren't judged in the same way. Beat-em-ups aren't necessarily fun because they are well-paced and have interesting play mechanics (although God Hand does). They are fun because you get to see silly, violent things happen on a massive yet personal scale. The game itself is simply a medium for their aesthetics.

also I think Battletoads is its own genre. the NES version, at least.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

One thing I love about the brawler genre is the crazy themes it comes up with. Sometimes you're in medieval times, sometimes you're in Arabian times, sometimes you're in giant robots, sometimes you're beating up hundreds of women and British teens to stop the poaching ring of a giant centipede monster disguised as a masked magician, sometimes you're a robot ninja baseball sentai team, and sometimes you're The Simpsons.

Not everything in the genre has aged gracefully, but 90s brawlers had some of the most wonderfully whacked out themes.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:22 PM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

I'm really awesome at throwing dudes into the screen in Turtles in Time, and I still can't tell you what the button input is. It's all in the wrist.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I'm really awesome at throwing dudes into the screen in Turtles in Time, and I still can't tell you what the button input is. It's all in the wrist.
Yeah, I got good at that because you get more points and eventually more 1ups that way.

The best possible beat-em-up would River City Ninja Turtles.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
So... anyone play Anarchy Reigns, and, if so how is it? I have it staring at me from my shelf and I'm not QUITE sure I want to take Injustice out to even try it yet.
I was super disappointed in the single-player content. Picking Hard just gets downright shitty really fast, and Normal is a cakewalk. Never really got into the multiplayer due to said disappointment. I seriously enjoyed what was going on with the Hard 1v1 boss fights -- it felt really damn close to a fighting game -- but it was just balanced so poorly and there didn't seem to be an easy way to just play that kind of thing on its own with some tweaks.

Do the Dynasty Warriors games count for this? Because they should, right? I've really been hankering for some Musou playing, but I really don't know what I should get (plus those games only seem to get released here digitally which means they're never below like $40 and maaaaan I'm poor right now). I know DW8 is coming out next month, but I've heard some favorable things about Ken's Rage 2. I played Warriors Orochi 1 and kinda didn't like the whole team thing, so I'm not interested in those sequels.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 AM
I had the weirdest dream

Quick, what's the sound of a one-player Beat-em-up?

If you answered "profound sadness", you'd be correct.

You might also be correct if you answered Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage, the only good game by LJN. It's memorable for having Spidey and Venom as your playable characters, but only letting you alternate between them and having no two-player mode. It's also memorable for its comic book cutscenes, having a random mook named "J Voong", and letting you beat the marshmallow stuffing out of a Fat Guy enemy type who, for some reason, all have the ability to jump three to five times their own height.
It even has a rockin' soundtrack if you have the SNES version and is one of the only 16-bit videogames in which you can hear an unlicensed performance of The Mob Rules.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris View Post
Now that I think about it, Capcom released some other brawlers that weren't entirely unlike the D&D games.
Including King of the Dragons.

Speaking of weird there's The Ninja Kids where all of the people in the game are marionette puppets.

There's also DJ Boy - the most 80's beat-em-up ever.

And if you want to control a Hulk Hogan lookalike you can always play Vendetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Yeah, I got good at that because you get more points and eventually more 1ups that way.
You also needed to use it to defeat one of the bosses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
The best possible beat-em-up would River City Ninja Turtles.
*head explodes from the sheer pleasure of just the idea of such a thing*

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 06-24-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
You also needed to use it to defeat one of the bosses.
I've never managed to confirm this, but it always felt like the input got a little less twitchy for that fight, then went back to normal for the rest of the game.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:37 AM
kill

Not one mention of Guardian Heroes? You fools.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Little Waves

Well maybe if they'd release it on PSN.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:54 AM
kill

It's on 360! And for only 2 dollars! Until tomorrow anyway. Afterwards it'll still only be 4-5 dollars.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Guardian Heroes Advance was a weird game.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Quote:
The ultimate technique...
NONE CAN WITHSTAND THE BEATVAULT
i wip my jumps back n forth.
ARE YOU SO BOLD
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM

Streets of Rage 2 is great. And I wasn't really a fan of Final Fight 3... until recently, and I realized that they absorbed a lot of the stuff the Streets of Rage series had done, which is actually kind of ironic.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, TMNT: The Arcade Game will always hold a special place in my heart.

Tags
beating-them-ups , beltscrollers , haggar my god to thee , homo dark club , human lullaby machine , oh! my car , roads of anger , trouble in river city