The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-09-2018, 02:57 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

The problem with your idea Isrieri is the aforementioned power-up limit, we'd have to sacrifice a slot for an item that the player wouldn't even get until the endgame. I'm not even sure anyone has made a fully functional SMW cape in SMBX yet.

I had some ideas for the big final Bowser battle, but it will depend on how good I (or someone else) become at lua coding. I'd rather design the battle first and then center the story around it if possible than be dedicated to this big story necessitating a certain kind of final boss and be unable to pull it off.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:00 PM
That Pokemon Guy

That world map is amazing.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:25 PM
Madman

So this is a thing.

Talkhaus's MaGLX 3 contest is finally underway a little over a year since it was first announced, and the SMBX 2.0 developers were kind enough to release a brand-new-still-not-quite-but-very-close-to-beta-4 build for the general public to play around with, which has the majority of features in the current dev builds, missing only those which are still a bit buggy and in need of a rework. But yeah, there is a lot of cool new stuff to play around with in this version, including ridiculous numbers of new NPCs, blocks, and BGOs, more fully-featured SMW line guides, SM3DW glass pipes, 3D-styled world maps, and moreover, while there is still a bit of roughness around the edges here and there, most of these new features feel surprisingly good. It's certainly a step up in quality over the, erm, "features", of the earlier betas.

But yeah, if any of you guys have the time and still have the level-making bug, you should totally submit something for the contest. I'm curious to see what you all can put together with the new build.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:43 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

I was just coming to post this in fact.

I signed up the other day, but I only just now realized their build for MAGLX3 included so much new stuff. I'm gonna have to spend some time playing around with it.

Also I love how Super Squad Kirby has been grandfathered in as a default NPC.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Works for me

I'm not too gung-ho about it but I signed up too. I had a pretty good idea and although I might not submit anything in the end, it'll be a good learning exercise for the new lua libraries they've included. Lineguides actually sorta works now!

Even if no one makes anything, if you're interested in SMBX you're going to want to check this out: it's got all sorts of new enemies and the ability to easily add your own. As well as new blocks or background features.

SMBX2 - Beta.Almost.4

Also there is a really comprehensive coding tutorial courtesy of Enjl.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:30 PM
Bob

Uh SpoonyBard did you finish work porting in STTB2? Because uh holy shit that work looks amazing. I want to play it!
Old 04-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

It's still a work in progress. I paused work on it while I was busy making a level for MaGMML3 last fall, and only recently got back into it. Most of my recent work has been re-tiling the world map using larger individual tiles to cut down on the number of unique tiles used, and thus improve stability (one issue with moving the episode over to a 2.0 install means we can no longer rely on changing the default graphics and have to use episode-specific custom world map graphics, which previously caused stability issues).

Basically STTB2 has gone from using nearly 300 custom world map tiles to only like 27. For instance, this is the 'tile' that's used for the upper part of the map now:

This also allows me to do subtle things like little color variations for different elevations, though otherwise I'm not changing the map too radically. The most extreme change has been Bowser's castle:

Previously I had to construct the castle using only about three unique tiles, now I can add more detail overall.

As far as the unique map sprites go, that might be delayed a bit since the new version of SMBX 2.0 just released have necessitated a slightly different formatting of the lua code, and I still haven't learned how to properly update all the files.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:06 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Boop.

Finally completed the update to the World 5 map. This took a bit because the latest build of SMBX2.0 changed how some things are handled on the back-end and lots of the code for the map effects had to be tweaked. But I got it all settled now.

On top of the additions to World 5, the changes I mentioned in the last post (being able to use a smaller number of larger tiles) has allowed me to tweak even more things here and there. Small stuff like the purple pond by Onion Bubs, and big stuff like a total retiling of the cloudy area of World 3, which looks sooooo much better now.

As far as specific World 5 effects go, I'm most proud of the Rising Dry pyramid sand spout, and the Spring Ahead Fall Back morphing tree.

Also, I've been wondering about a little mini-project to whet our appetites and to see if there really is any desire to do another one of these projects. How would you all feel about 'remixing' STTB2 stages with some of the new SMBX2.0 features? What I had in mind was that all the vanilla stages would still exist where they are, but there would also be alternate versions of certain stages, either opened up along the path or, if there are enough of them, in a new additional bonus world.

Wanna re-do Uphill and Downhill, but add Chargin' Chucks? Maybe add Boo Circles to a Ghost House? Add Invicibility Stars or Mega Mushrooms to a bonus area? Play around with Clear Pipes? Feel confident enough in your lua coding to create an entirely new gimmick? Go nuts!

Only thing I'd caution is not to add any Power Stars, since I don't want to mess up the count that we have. But what you CAN add if you want your stage to have a collectable are the new Star Coins.

Also I'd prefer you edit your own stage, but considering a few folks who made stages aren't around anymore, and the originals will still exist, feel free to edit someone else's if you got a really good idea.

What do you all think?
Old 04-13-2019, 11:37 AM
Madman

Ah man, the updates to the map look awesome, Spoonybard, and I love how you keep giving pretty much every stage on the map a little something to make it stand out! It's hard to pick a favorite, but I think I'd have to go with the transforming tree for Spring Ahead Fall Back too.

Regarding stage remixes, I really like the idea, but what exactly did you have in mind? Since it sounds like the original levels would still be accessible, would the remixes just be a slight modification of existing levels to use a few new elements of the MAGLX3 build, or did you have something more substantial in mind, like complete overhauls of existing levels?
Old 04-13-2019, 11:48 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

All I'm really thinking is that the remixes involve something newly available in SMBX2.0, and that it be implemented into an already existing level. So no creating new levels, save that for a STTB3 if we ever get there.

Mainly I'm hoping it would help with familiarity with the new engine and features to use them in levels that are already mostly built. Not to mention that some new content, even just stage remixes, would give folks more incentive to revisit STTB2 once it's ready to launch.

Though it was just an idea. If there's no appetite for it that's fine, STTB2 for SMBX2.0 will come out regardless.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:53 AM
I had the weirdest dream

I just checked our download page and STTB 2 has been downloaded over 14,000 times.
This is significant. This means something.

Super Talking Time Bros 2 was the game that brought SMBX to the talkhaus's attention, as I recall. That attention led to most of the breakthroughs in hacking, reverse engineering and programming that made SMBX 2.0 possible.
If nothing else, it's the reason our Kirby is now in the default line-up of NPCs to choose from in the editor, weird little face and all.

I'm digging the updated overworld. And I think gameplay issues should be ironed out, too; there's a few places in our levels where we re-skinned enemies and objects to mimick what is now built in to the editor. But apart from these necessary changes, I feel our game has a historic significance in the world of SMBX. I think the levels themselves should stay true to what they were, with very little alteration. I would like for this to be the fangame equivalent of a high-def remastering of a classic movie, staying true to the feel and the effects that were achieved with the technology of the time, while making it playable in the modern format.

If we want to add all the stuff we couldn't do before, why not just get started on the sequel?
Old 04-14-2019, 01:06 AM
Works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaidyer
I just checked our download page and STTB 2 has been downloaded over 14,000 times.
That....is pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
How would you all feel about 'remixing' STTB2 stages with some of the new SMBX2.0 features? What I had in mind was that all the vanilla stages would still exist where they are, but there would also be alternate versions of certain stages, either opened up along the path or, if there are enough of them, in a new additional bonus world.
If I recall correctly, we wanted to do something like this before and it ended up becoming TTBros 2.5. Granted, a lot of that was probably my fault 'cause I went on a level-making binge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaidyer
If we want to add all the stuff we couldn't do before, why not just get started on the sequel?
I'm tryin' man I don't know how to make powerups yet

I don't know about starting up TTBros 3 but what about a TT Gaiden or something? Like a side-story or interlude? I think it would be a good idea to do a not-so-serious project that lets everyone fool around with the new toys.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I am opposed to George Lucasing Super TT Bros
Old 04-14-2019, 08:10 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I am opposed to George Lucasing Super TT Bros
Kind of feel the same, TBH. I think it's a fine way to experiment with new features, but probably should stay internal. I would be very interested in TTB3 at some point. And I wouldnt be opposed to some bonus remix levels in that, maybe.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:12 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Fair enough. I'll continue with my world map edits, but maybe the idea of remixed levels isn't a good one.

Anyway, my work there might slow a bit since I need to work on my MaGLX3 level too.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:15 AM
bad at lurking

Incidentally, a little bit ago I found some recent LPs of STTB games on YouTube. Nothing great, but still wild to think people are still finding our games for the first time.

The FB page gets a few hits every week still, too
Old 04-14-2019, 09:44 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Fair enough. I'll continue with my world map edits, but maybe the idea of remixed levels isn't a good one.

Anyway, my work there might slow a bit since I need to work on my MaGLX3 level too.
I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, I just don't think that it's going to result in a better final product, if that makes sense? People already like STTB2 and to ante it up is kind of like saying "this is actually bad", it immediately dates and makes obselete a game that people are still finding, playing and enjoying. Maybe I'm wrong! Personally I'd rather duck away from Mario entirely and work on something else.

I've recently been using an editor called NeoLemmix which lets me make Lemmings stages and group them into a full game easily. Wondering if it might be worth making a thread for that.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Just so I'm clear about what I had in mind: I wasn't proposing replacing existing levels with remixes, I was thinking about creating an entirely new bonus world, separate from the others, which contained all of these remixed levels. So less like releasing a special edition that replaces the original movie and more like a Blu Ray that contains re-imagined scenes in its special features.

But it might be best to keep the content of the game as-is.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:31 PM
I had the weirdest dream

Now that I think about it, there's some stuff I was particularly proud of in our custom version of SMBX that wouldn't necessarily translate to a stock installation of 2.0. Not just the sound effects and music, but also the hard-coded graphics and launcher URLs. We had to hack the executable with hex editors to make that work, and it took effort. We went the extra mile to give our games a personal touch and make the engine look and sound the way we needed it to for a standalone game, and it was worth it.

Heck, I landed myself a job once when I told the tale of Super Talking Time Bros and how it taught me to work with a team and become fearless and inventive.

The download counter is still going up, slowly but surely. madhair's point here really makes me want to re-think even touching the original release at all. Our hard work continues to hold up.

So here's what I think we should do:
We should make a new episode. Let's not restrict ourselves the way we did with the failed Peach episode and the failed attempt at STTB 3. Let's not even call it Super Talking Time Bros 3. Not unless it gets big enough.
Let's use the rules we had when we built STTB 2. The new MAGLX build is strong enough right now that there's tons of new material to work with, using the same methods we already know. Anything we do to push the envelope is going to feed back into the development of SMBX, just as it did before.
And when we're finished and ready to release, let's quietly bundle the overworld-enhanced STTB 2 in as an optional bonus, the same way we did with The Last Levels.

Super Mario Maker 2 is going to happen this year, and it's on track for a summer release. I think that will serve as a nice enough deadline this time for a lot of reasons. Because I honestly believe that once it's available, nobody on this forum is going to want to return to SMBX, and we'll have missed our last shot at a reunion tour with the Super Squad.
And I want a reunion tour with the Super Squad.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:39 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaidyer View Post
Now that I think about it, there's some stuff I was particularly proud of in our custom version of SMBX that wouldn't necessarily translate to a stock installation of 2.0. Not just the sound effects and music, but also the hard-coded graphics and launcher URLs. We had to hack the executable with hex editors to make that work, and it took effort. We went the extra mile to give our games a personal touch and make the engine look and sound the way we needed it to for a standalone game, and it was worth it.
This is exactly what I've been working on, not just the additions to the world map. 2.0 is robust enough that we don't need a custom installer for STTB2 anymore, the default music and sound effects can be changed with .ini files, we can use the costume system for the player graphics, and with the number of world map tiles being reduced to fewer, larger, ones the world map shouldn't have any more stability issues. The only thing we really can't do is the 'Super Mario Bros X' splash image on what was the old game-select screen, but people will rarely see that on 2.0 with the new launcher.

SMBX2.0 is likely going to become the primary way people play SMBX episodes in the future, not to mention any newcomers will likely only be using it and wouldn't even be familiar with the legacy engine. So I think if we want STTB2 to continue to enjoy the popularity it apparently still does it's important to have a version that people can just drop in their 2.0 worlds folder and work.

Anyway, I'd advise against setting an imminent deadline for a new game. Especially trying to beat Mario Maker 2's release. That's only a couple of months away, and MaGLX3 is going on until the end of May.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I'm interested in contributing to a new episode for sure, but I also feel like we've got a trilogy here and it's, well, done. So unless we have a really strong concept I just feel like it would be prurient to move onto something new.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Madman

I'd also be interested in anything we make in the future, of course. Poking around the new editor and messing around with Lua has rekindled a lot of my SMBX interest, and although I'm open to moving onto new things if we decide to go that route.

So here's what I'm going to suggest - let's wait until Beta 4 is out before deciding whether or not to move on to a full fledged new project. I suspect that won't be for a while, but the MAGLX3 build has its fair share of bugs, and it's not going to be supported by the developers since it isn't really a release in the official sense. When Beta 4 releases, that will probably receive a larger amount of support, regular patches and bugfixes, etc., fixing issues that we'd otherwise have to try to work around ourselves if we wanted to push out a full release beforehand. By then, there's a good chance that the shininess of Mario Maker 2 will have died down some and we can try giving it another shot.

Because that is probably going to be a decent wait, in the meantime, we can try something new like madhair suggested. We can also leave the thread casually open if people get any sudden bursts of inspiration when messing around with the new features and end up making any levels, creations, etc. during the wait that they would like to share and get feedback on.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I'm gonna throw this out there - Lemmings.

I've been playing Lemmings a lot recently, through an interpreter called NeoLemmix (Windows only, sadly) that comes with an EXTREMELY simple WYSIWYG editor. I've bashed out about ten, eleven levels over the weekend. You can easily group them into a full game, or episode. I think it'd be a really fun collab project.

The only issue is I'm not sure if Lemmings is a game people on here are particularly fond of, or interested in.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:51 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I made this in like ten minutes. Trés facile. Testing app is built into the editor. Hit F12 to test, esc to back out, change stuff, F12 again. So, so, so easy.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Din View Post
So here's what I'm going to suggest - let's wait until Beta 4 is out before deciding whether or not to move on to a full fledged new project. I suspect that won't be for a while, but the MAGLX3 build has its fair share of bugs, and it's not going to be supported by the developers since it isn't really a release in the official sense.

We can also leave the thread casually open if people get any sudden bursts of inspiration when messing around with the new features and end up making any levels, creations, etc. during the wait that they would like to share and get feedback on.
I second this. In addition to not everything working quite properly, the transition from Beta 3 to this pre-release version has rendered a lot of old code incompatible or deprecated. I imagine the impending upgrade won't be as drastic but it would still be wise to wait before we get down and dirty on anything serious. The folks at the talkhaus asked people to not release any episodes with this version for that reason.

That doesn't mean we can't fiddle with lua code and throw up level ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair
The only issue is I'm not sure if Lemmings is a game people on here are particularly fond of, or interested in.
I'd probably like lemming games a lot more if I was any good at them. XP
I had King Arthur's World as a kid and it was always a struggle.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:33 PM
bad at lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I'm interested in contributing to a new episode for sure, but I also feel like we've got a trilogy here and it's, well, done. So unless we have a really strong concept I just feel like it would be prurient to move onto something new.
I wonder if just working with the new tools is enough? I haven't used SMBX2 yet myself, but if it's as big a change as it sounds the we could give it a shot, at least start as a mini project.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:29 PM
bad at lurking

talking about STTB and SMBX has me itching to replay out old games. Think I might start streaming them in the next week or two.

I also want to finally play that Zelda quest that RMN made. I loaded it up and it seems pretty solid.
Old 04-20-2019, 01:19 AM
Works for me

The thought has occurred to me, after thinking about how we made the levels and world map for 2.5, all the effort that took. It took a very long time. Part of that was due to the limitations of the engine but another part was the love and care Spoony and the rest of us took in putting that extra grain of spit polish on it. I know there was a lot of things we wish we could have done but could not. With SMBX 2.0 we can do almost anything we want (there are a few limitations). If you put in the code and the sprite-work, sky's the limit.

I feel like waiting until 4.0 finally gets released is still a good idea, but it'll probably be at least another 8 months. If we waited until then to discuss the game it would take ages and ages to decide on what we wanted to include, get it coded, sprited, and levels made around those concepts. So I think it would be a good idea to talking about what you all would like to see in a hypothetical TT3. Call it:

THE TALKING TIME BROS 3 SEMI-OFFICIAL SPITBALL WISH LIST
Players welcome to give suggestions too

Isrieri
  • Technically I think you could make new powerups. Its now easy to store lua-based game data to a save file so a powerup system could work on an episode-by-episode basis: its only SMBX's memory addresses that can't be added to. It would still have to be super convoluted so any powerups are still an experimental pipe dream for the time being.
  • That said I really wanna make a Knight Suit! Cape Feathers too.
  • Fireballs that shoot fast
  • A Dr. Wily style Bowser Castle with split paths and a final level that everyone works on a piece of
  • Cool unique bosses
  • Game themed around Happy & Awesome positive feelings
  • Except the super-secret Minus World which isn't harder just, themed around negative feelings (percy's there? true ending?)
  • Can't get to Minus World unless you find scary hidden areas that give you cryptic hints and a sequence of steps to follow
  • There's still a star world like usual for getting the red stars/collectibles though
  • Shops?! Renewable Dragon Coins can buy items
  • You also get a dragon coin every 50 coins. A 1up nets you 3 plus the extra life, making them worth collecting.
  • That coin ship from Mario 3
  • Birdo as a recurring boss and she gets wackier every time
  • Wind that is not Annoying but Fun actually
  • More interactivity with Kirby
  • Bees
  • Cannons (these are half programed in the engine but they need refinement)
  • Switch Palaces (this already has engine support)
  • Neat weather effects.
  • Should Toad/Peach/Link still be playable characters?
  • Characters can be coded to start certain stages. We can make more character-specific stages without needing the players to switch.
  • Frog Suit Jokes
  • Don't overuse Chargin' Chuck
  • Change swimming to make it not suck.
  • Waves in water

SpoonyBardOL
  • No pre-defined worlds so we can make whatever
  • Don't make an involved story
  • Swap Link out for one of the new characters?
  • Switch Palaces that toggle one thing?
  • Cool unique enemies

McClain
  • Stick to just Mario for the main game, and use other characters on a per-stage basis
  • Single-Player only

Obviously not all of these are going to happen they're just ideas.

It can do us nothing but good to start talking about it now so that, even if the game never gets made, we know what we want to do going into it. If anybody has any plans that were milling around in their head; ideas for worlds, overall plot, or gameplay ideas they wanted to try. Just cool things they'd like to see in SMBX. Post it so I can add it! We can have a list of ideas and maybe even get some headway on a few of them.

Now's the time to start thinking!

Last edited by Isrieri; 04-20-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:27 PM
bad at lurking

I have one thought: make this a strictly one-player game, and make every level character specific. It doesn't have to be a gimmick, just using Mario is always fine, but we pulled some compromises or had some weird bugs with anything for two players before.

So like I said, I was thinking about steaming/Let's Playing the old games, partially as a refresher since we are talking about diving back into this project. Would people be interested in watching that?
Old 04-20-2019, 05:06 PM
Works for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I have one thought: make this a strictly one-player game, and make every level character specific. It doesn't have to be a gimmick, just using Mario is always fine, but we pulled some compromises or had some weird bugs with anything for two players before.
I second that. Two-player compatibility is far more trouble to support than it's worth.

Quote:
So like I said, I was thinking about steaming/Let's Playing the old games, partially as a refresher since we are talking about diving back into this project. Would people be interested in watching that?
If its on Twitch no. If it's on YouTube yes.

Tags
game development , homebrew , smbx is weird , sttb , sttb2 , sttb2˝