The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-01-2011, 04:29 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

If a unique directory for an engine specific to our game is possible, then I don't see a problem with using as many unique graphics as possible.

Since we're using a World Map, then this also affords us the ability to use unique map music (since in the engine it's otherwise hard-coded).

Though I have to wonder how much the different resolution of the player characters compared to the rest of the graphics will clash...

EDIT: Also, was there a fix for the way SMBX overloads ffdshow's audio, or something like that? I've changed something with it since I last used SMBX, and where it wasn't a problem for me before, now it is, and using SMBX causes a bajillion instances of the codec. Or something, I'm not entirely clear on what's happen, but I remember reading something about a fix for it.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I had the weirdest dream

I added the solution to the wiki. Here it is:

Quote:
Stuff you should know to solve a bug in SMBX:
Don't forget, SMBX defaults to your system codec for its audio. For a lot of you, it'll be something like FFDShow, and it can usually be found in your system tray while in use. So you need to adjust your codec in its control panel to run only one multiple instance (Or disable multiple instances altogether, depending on which option doesn't cut off various sound effects) before playing SMBX. Otherwise it will flood your tray and eventually slow down your system or crash.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Aha, that worked, great.

Another thing that might be good to add: If you're using a door warp and you want your door to animate (assuming you're using one of the doors that can animate) then you want to place the warp tile first, and then put the door down. If you put a door tile first and then a warp tile, the door won't animate.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 PM
*Hero of Lore - 20XX*

I've got lots of readins to doing, but I'm thinking that Metroid has to be put in this somewhere. Possibly in bikini.

Just to throw some possibilities out there, dragon coin/1up shroom replacement, as a powerup for toad (his head is the right shape).
Old 11-01-2011, 06:47 PM
SPACE DEPUTY

It would probably be a good idea to limit the number of levels one can submit for review at a time. We should still encourage people to work on as many levels as they want at once, but we could have avoided a lot of the problems we had last time by not letting so many levels slip in untested just to fill the needed slots.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I had the weirdest dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
It would probably be a good idea to limit the number of levels one can submit for review at a time. We should still encourage people to work on as many levels as they want at once, but we could have avoided a lot of the problems we had last time by not letting so many levels slip in untested just to fill the needed slots.
The current peer review system is fine. I can think of maybe three levels that slipped in during STTB 1, and they were all unannounced wiki additions by people who weren't in the thread and didn't post that they'd added a level.
If you're talking about _L_'s levels, we tested those. We tested the hell out of those. What we should really be saying is this:
"when you make a puzzle, ask yourself: Would I find the solution if I didn't think of it myself? Then remind yourself that you're probably way better at your levels than anyone else will be, and proceed to think about toning it down."

We can also do a "Spotlight Series" where, when a world is considered done, we remind everyone to test each level in that world one more time.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Has anyone started working on or taken dibs for World 1-1? I have a really cool concept that I could start tonight once I get the go ahead and could have done by end of the week max.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I had the weirdest dream

I'm doing a 1-1 but you go ahead with your idea. We'll see which one goes first!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:55 PM
*Hero of Lore - 20XX*

With regards to the tall tall tower and the power stars; is there any way to place a giant ? block with the power star in it near the top of a world 5 tower/butter building (where the exit would be) so that the player has to get to the top and then follow the power star all the way back to the bottom? It's kind of a dick move but you'd only do it once and it would match the comic.

To be more specific, can the power star be assigned a movement behaviour that would make it travel in a predetermined way, or at least fall like an invincibility star would if they were in the engine?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Snapping Nerd Necks

I still got Simple Green as a possible good 1-2ish level. So at the very least I'll (re)submit that. But I'll try and pump some other stuff out. I'm in game design mode for my own stuff right now so I dunno how much time I can spare.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

So uh, I'm having a bizarre problem with the editor.

See where I created the floor and wall? That's as far down and to the right that I can lay anything down. If I go any further down or to the right, the cursor disappears. Nothing happens when I press the mouse button, and nothing's there when I test play the level. I haven't tried reinstalling the program yet. Any suggestions before I do that?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 PM
I had the weirdest dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
So uh, I'm having a bizarre problem with the editor.
The level window is a little bit buggy. You shouldn't try to make it any larger than the default size the editor sets it to.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
The level window is a little bit buggy. You shouldn't try to make it any larger than the default size the editor sets it to.
If it looks like I did in that screen shot, its because I was messing with it to try and fix the problem. It's doing the same thing at the default size.

EDIT: Potentially related, this is what the editor's loading screen looks like:

Old 11-01-2011, 09:21 PM
I had the weirdest dream

Resize the level, maybe? Scroll with the arrow keys?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
Resize the level, maybe? Scroll with the arrow keys?
Scrolling with the arrow keys works, I just get a smaller window of area to work in. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Magical Love Gentleman

Oh man, this is super exciting! I've been meaning to design more Mario levels for ages now, and I'm always happy to provide feedback. At the moment, I've got one full level made that didn't make it into STTB1. It already went through some feedback back then, but I think I may resubmit it to review just to help ease people into Constructive Criticism Mode. Would that be okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Let's focus on making a solid Mario game, first and foremost, just like we did before. Sneak the gags in where we can, and transform comic panels into full levels where it makes sense, but it's not really appropriate to reach for the shoehorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Honestly, for now I'd scrap the proposed list of worlds until people start making levels, and then design the game around what's made.
Agreed!

Quote:
While I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity, I think it's important not to let there be to many levels with multiple exits, simply because it becomes harder and harder to design a world map when an area has too many 'red dots'.
This is a really important point. The map presents its own problems for sure, but even beyond that, playing through levels twice in STTB1 to find the secret exits in STTB1 was often tedious. Luckily, using the Red Power Stars as DK Coins should allow designers to add in all sorts of good secrets without creating multiple exits.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:40 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

I have most of the graphics assembled for Tatanga's Starbase, but I'd like some opinions:

I'm wondering if the grey tiles used for the starbase wall in the background look too much like platforms? I wouldn't want to screw someone up by making them think they can jump on them and just fall into the Dark Matter (recolored lava, I may yet adjust its coloration).

Tatanga's sprite is pretty much done, but now I'm just wondering if I should resprite some standard enemies to make them 'spacey', or leave them for now. I was thinking of making the standard enemies resemble the Shroob-ified foes from Partners in Time, to imply that Tatanga teamed up with the Shroobs.

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 11-02-2011 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:41 AM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
This is the first thing I made back when people were doing the first Talking Time Bros. It's also where I learned I wasn't real great at making levels in SMBX.

SpoonyBard- Yeah, the look a little platformy, but I'm sure someone here has better advice for you.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:16 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

So, if I do get around to making something for this, it's probably just be a "regular" Mario level that I'd throw up there that anyone who was interested could "skin." Does that sound like something that would work for this project?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Fancy Muppet

Quote:
I'm wondering if the grey tiles used for the starbase wall in the background look too much like platforms? I wouldn't want to screw someone up by making them think they can jump on them and just fall into the Dark Matter (recolored lava, I may yet adjust its coloration).
From a quick glance I thought they were platforms, so maybe. It all really depends how you set them up in the level. If that was the entrance point for the player, I probably would have jumped to my doom, but if you introduce them earlier with an understanding that they are background, I don't think they are a problem.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Hm. I can't do any adjustments right now, but perhaps if I darkened the tiles a bit? Just so there's a bit more contrast between them and the actual solid blocks?

The section does start with you entering the room already behind some, so the fact that they're background should be apparent.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

They look like platforms. In fact, the platform Mario is standing on looks more like a backdrop than they do.

The simplest solution would be to make sure the tiles are never below Mario like they are in that picture. Maybe you could lift the whole backdrop up so the window is always above him, or make windows much smaller, or change the backdrop so it's always either a wall or a window. It will be less interesting visually, but Mario backgrounds are never very interesting visually. Nor should they be.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Hmm, I'll see about re-arranging the first area so that the window is always well above Mario. And I might also completely re-do the tile so that it doesn't pop out as much.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:40 AM

I think darkening them is for the best, personally. Pair that up with starting Mario in a situation where learning they aren't platforms (maybe a little room you have to drop out of, where they form the background of the vertical shaft out?) and I think they'd be fine.

I don't like the "lift the backdrop up a bit" solution, personally.

Oh, and maybe reduce the detail a bit. Your foreground looks like it is less detailed than the background.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Super Solver

GOD DAMMIT! The only reason I hung onto my Windows laptop was the chance there would be another TT Bros. to participate in, but when that looked unlikely I sold it.

Anyone want to lend me a netbook for two months?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:04 PM
I had the weirdest dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumber Baron View Post
GOD DAMMIT! The only reason I hung onto my Windows laptop was the chance there would be another TT Bros. to participate in, but when that looked unlikely I sold it.

Anyone want to lend me a netbook for two months?
Oh no!
I thought we made it clear that TT Bros was a yearly thing!

Oh well... maybe next time we'll have found a new engine. You know how the old strategy goes: Stay with the same engine for the sequel, change things up for the threequel.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
Yeah, the double-outline around them makes them stand out way too much for background. If you changed it from white to grey, that might help. And maybe lower the overall contrast in the tiles too, say by lightening up the black shadowed edges a little.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

I was SURE I posted this an hour ago, but I must've backed out of my preview instead of posting. Whatever, here we go again.

Edit 1: Original tiles darkened

Edit 2: New tiles

Edit 3: Modified new tiles

And I'll think about making the borders of the window in the background stand out less.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:36 PM
I had the weirdest dream

Edit 3 looks pretty good.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Yeah, I still say tone down that double white outline, but other than that you're golden.

Tags
game development , homebrew , smbx is weird , sttb , sttb2 , sttb2½